QUESTION Repro - live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So after seeing Jim show us how he is display his loose figures using repro cards and boxes, it rang true with me. Firstly, Jim has a long history in collecting and is an absolute gent. Still remember when he released all those proofs if 2004!!

Now, onto my little statement regarding repros. I have recently purchased a few replicas from StanSolo and as someone who has been collecting nearly 30 years and having grown up in the vintage era, these repros are heads and tails the best on the market. The attention to detail and replication is amazing and the customer.. figures are also amazing. I mean, come on...who wouldn't have loved Han Stormtrooper back in the day??

I have a collection of real vintage carded and boxed but I have no problem with what SS is doing. In my opinion he is helping people to get the same appeal from a repro as from a real moc which is 10 times the price. I'll be honest, I never had any of the last 17 as Leia Boussh was the last figure I ever got before I discovered heavy metal and the opposite sex, but I did for some reason bought them to complete my vintage loose collection because I thought they 'had' to be purchased to make it complete. Now I finally realise it isnt necessary in my opinion. I get the same buzz looking at a repro as I do the real thing and to me it happens in every collecting circle going.

I think the ' repro is bad ' stance is now outdated and silly, and that we should be happy that more people are actually able to have an identical piece ( which is marked BTW) to get the same buzz as someone who owns a real item. Chris,s repros are miles better than the atrocious offerings that Hasbro offer and to me it is now a case of live and let live. Just put one of his next to a Hasbro and make your own decision.

If you want real, buy real but make sure you do your research before blaming repros for you being ripped off. Not everyone who makes repros are out to defraud people and Stan Solos cards and figures are marked and in my opinion that enough. If you want to buy repro for the same aesthetic values then go for it. It is YOUR collection, nobody else's. The problem is that money gets thrown around nowadays.If someone spends $2000 on something stated as original which is then deemed a fake then that is the fault of both the buyer and seller, not always the fault of people trying to give budget collectors a start in the hobby. Those bubbles ain't going to stay on real vintage much longer and there are more important things to worry about. Some people are now thinking about selling up, and I myself sold a part of my collection a while back to do some work on the house. And to be honest, I sold my last 17 and purchased Stan Solos and it looks exactly the same.

I couldn't care less anymore to be honest. No one has any 'control' or a right to 'police's the hobby, and the notion itself is ridiculous. I will welcome all collectors and someone who has a £500 collection of repros is as much a collector as the guy who has a £10000 collection, money shouldn't hold people back.

So as a long time collector and fan, just live and let live now. Just learn to accept different people have different livelihoods but that we all love the same thing.

Lee

Reaction score
People who buy and collect repro stuff definitely don’t love the same thing as me.

As a grown up collector who played with Star Wars toys in the 70s and the 80s and who has been loving and collecting original vintage Star Wars items for decades, I don’t see the point in “collecting” repro items just because those are not collectibles and do not relate to anything we enjoyed and loved growing up.

Not to mention the hundreds of collectors who get deceived by that ****.

I say no no to repro and always will.

-Matth

Reaction score
People who buy and collect repro stuff definitely don’t love the same thing as me.

As a grown up collector who played with Star Wars toys in the 70s and the 80s and who has been loving and collecting original vintage Star Wars items for decades, I don’t see the point in “collecting” repro items just because those are not collectibles and do not relate to anything we enjoyed and loved growing up.

Not to mention the hundreds of collectors who get deceived by that ****.

I say no no to repro and always will.

-Matth

Matth,

As I said before, i grew up in the same period and played with the same toys that you, I and millions of other kids played with. I've loved collecting Star Wars for the same amount of time, so does that make me an outcast of some sort? I dont differentiate one collector from the next, but as someone who has been on the anti repro side for so long I've learnt to live with them and it doesnt affect me anymore.

Collectors who get deceived are part of the problem. Too many deep pockets and lack of research for the most part. If I spend on something, I'll research it - end of.

Another question, what is your opinion on people stripping down vehicles and playsets to sell the parts as spares even screws for crying out loud!

Reaction score
I don’t have any repro figures/cards or weapons in my collection. Closest thing I have are a few customs a friend made me of Sandtrooper w vintage fig. Maybe I’d understand it more if I just started collecting w these crazy prices! K

Reaction score
The genie is out of the bottle. Reproduction Star Wars toys are a fact of life.
Arguing the merits of weather or not to buy repro goods is not going to make any difference to those who manufacture them. All one can really do, is control ones own collection.
Personal responsibility, and magnanimity towards other collectors is the best policy.
Being vigilant in spreading identifying information about repros, and not judging collectors who buy them is what’s needed. IMHO
So... yes, live and let live I guess.

Dax

Reaction score
Custom items are great and some are incredibly creative. I have absolutely zero problem with them.

Copies of produced items that are not easily discernible are evil **** and cause untold harm throughout the community. Is it the fault of a store retailer that they didn't whip out a magnifying glass to check out the fine print detail on a $20 note to be able to work out it was a fake? Of course not, it's the fault of the dirtbag that put effort into creating as close a replica as possible, knowing without doubt that a significant proportion of people would use it to deceive others.

If said scumbags moulded vintage weapons in never-produced colours, or made them with easily identifiable markings then I would have zero problem with them. So a Stormtrooper blaster cast in dark brown or with a prominent R on the side of the handle. When it's in the hand of your display figure you can't tell it's a fake, but a quick examination buy a buyer could tell instantly.

Faked items keep hurting collectors and buying them continues to fund development of techniques that make them harder and harder to identify. It is not a victimless crime.

Reaction score
I certainly agree with you Dax. Every repro bought, is a genuine piece not saved for, hunted for and ultimately bought. Prospective buyer, and seller both get screwed.
If you have a hole in your collection that you even temporarily fill with a repro, you will begin to rationalize the thought of the repro being good enough to replace the genuine, it’s human nature.

Reaction score
Lee....First off thank you for your kinds words and I’m going to try my best to not toot my own horn here and I know this is going to be as long winded as all hell. Yes 15 years ago I made a conscious decision to leave this hobby, and try my hand at the comic book world and see how much traction I could gain in that hobby. I had achieved everything I possibly could in SW collecting, to the point of writing a fairly successful book than somehow has been a collectors item today. When I left the hobby Chris, Ron S and Gus were THE US guys and Scott Bradley and I were the Canadian guys. I sold every SW piece I piece I owned and put it into comic books. Today I own one of the most respected vintage comic book shops in my country, enough so that I’m an advisor to the Comic Book Price Guide put out yearly by Bob Overstreet. It was totally a conscious decision that I did out of ego as much as anything else. Star Wars unfortunately never left me (as much as I wish it had). I would still receive PM’s here on RS on a weekly basis, that I never replied to because whomever was PMing me probably knew more of the state of the hobby than I did.

So fast forward to 2017, I had just set up to the largest comic book show in the country, our setup was the most enviable at the show and two weeks later my home was broken into on a Monday, and the shop was broken into on the Friday afterwards, after the police assured me that the thieves were long gone. It made the national news.

So fast forward again to December 4th 2020, the eve before my 49th birthday. I’m minding my own business watching Mandalorian as I usually do on a Friday night, but then all of a sudden Boba Fett shows up. The Boba Fett I haven’t seen since May 25th 1983....I’m practically in tears. It’s been 38 years since I’ve seen this guy, all of a sudden my SW collecting gene in my body that’s been dormant forever kicks in. Right afterwards I’m in EBay seeing what I can find a BF 21 back for, or a Boba Fett three pack for like I used to own....but they aren’t as available as they once were. So I start picking up loose figures in the meantime and start carding them myself. I feel absolute joy and zen....even moreso than making five figure deals with Tom Derby like I did in the day.

So like I mentioned the other day, Art is Art and if if it gives you a feeling a nostalgia than so be it. It’s your collection and yours alone so nobody should judge. I will never put anything of collectible value in my home again because what if the thieves from earlier in my story chose that they were willing to do anything to get it. My family means more to me than toys made 40 years ago. So collect whatever makes you happy, at a cost you are willing to live with and I don’t care how we get there, if you are happy than everybody should be happy for you!!!!!

Jim

Reaction score
I don't knowing buy repos but have been taken a couple times while searching for a quality C3P0. I don't buy any of the Vintage line because most are remakes of earlier pieces. I make an exception for the Mandalorian figures which I feel should be a stand alone line as these are first time figures. My collection consist mostly of the original 12 figures and their variations, all the Ewoks, and most of the original die cast ships. That being said, I must admit to one repo item in my collection. The vinyl cape for my Jawa. If I ever hit the lottery, I will replace it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.