Repro coins?

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure if this is a taboo subject, but does anyone know if there is a way to get some vintage repro coins?
Namely, Boba Fett? I have all of his recent coins but I would like a vintage one without the friggin' HUGE cost. So I am asking for guidance.

A big thanks in advance!

Reaction score
One-sided repro coins turn up from time to time on ebay. They're evidently made of resin and painted. I can't seem to find any examples right now, but I've seen them several times in the past two months. They shouldn't be hard to find.

Reaction score
Someone had an auction recently for an "entire set" of Bootleg POTF Coins. The auction is no longer available through the ended search so I can't point you into the sellers direction. They we're all one sided and made of resin. They looked pretty cool but I think that's the closest you are going to get. For now...

Reaction score
originaldrdoom said:
I am not entirely sure if this is a taboo subject, but does anyone know if there is a way to get some vintage repro coins?
Namely, Boba Fett? I have all of his recent coins but I would like a vintage one without the friggin' HUGE cost. So I am asking for guidance.

A big thanks in advance!
Which one are you looking for, the gold or silver version?

Reaction score
originaldrdoom said:
Either. Both.
Got 'em? Or any leads?
I can get you reproductions of both coins cast in aluminum with images on the front and back.

Reaction score
Speed_Racer said:
Here are the pics you asked for.
It never ceases to amaze me the fakes you plug that are dangerous for the hobby. Do you ever come here for anything besides making money on fakes you or your little buddy from Singapore make?

John

Reaction score
Gezz these things are nearly as dangerous as [censored]'s thick coins. Does anyone know the details on these? casting method, weight in grams, or anything else that would give it away as a fake?

Reaction score
originaldrdoom said:
Please elaborate.
I think it's pretty elaborate as is. Do a search of his name. You'll see we've gone head up for years. He sells fakes, point blank. He comes here and he plugs his site, but pretends it's not his since he got banned years ago for plugging it, and basically pretends he's so benevolent when in reality he's only helping his and his friend's wallet. Coins, carded Vlix, 21 back Fetts, VC Jawas, they've made them all and all with scary accuracy with no care how much it damages the hobby.

Sorry, but I don't like repros like this. I'm of the mind that if you want a coin then save for it. These things can do no good. Period.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
originaldrdoom said:
Please elaborate.
I think it's pretty elaborate as is. Do a search of his name. You'll see we've gone head up for years. He sells fakes, point blank. He comes here and he plugs his site, but pretends it's not his since he got banned years ago for plugging it, and basically pretends he's so benevolent when in reality he's only helping his and his friend's wallet. Coins, carded Vlix, 21 back Fetts, VC Jawas, they've made them all and all with scary accuracy with no care how much it damages the hobby.

Sorry, but I don't like repros like this. I'm of the mind that if you want a coin then save for it. These things can do no good. Period.

John
Couldn't agree with you more John. Ryan

Reaction score
I agree with john cause I would hate casts like this on the market especially when I am considering at somepoint in the future going to try and compile a complete set.

Reaction score
Seems like if people keep asking and shearching for repos....they will continue to pop up and people will make money....

STOP trying to find repos....and DON'T buy them...
...good it can not be...away you must stay..shearch your feelings, you know it to be true...

yodascorch

Reaction score
SpeedRacer:

Are you letting these coins go out into the wild without marking them as reproductions?

Scott

Reaction score
ColleSystem said:
SpeedRacer:

Are you letting these coins go out into the wild without marking them as reproductions?

Scott
I've had these coins for more than a year and haven't sold any by themselves, only on a few recards. No, they're not marked as reproductions but a trained eye can tell the difference fairly easy.

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
but a trained eye can tell the difference fairly easy.

[/QUOTE]

But what about an untrained eye? Once the coin has changed hands in the wild a couple of times, someone down the road is bound to get stung. My recommendation is that you subtlely mark them as reproduction. Keep in mind, if you sell them, you are probably violating Kenner/Hasbro/LFL copyright rights. Although the current owner of these rights may not currently be exercising them.

Scott

Reaction score
If you are using them for carded figures, then I see no reason not to etch "Repro" on the back just in case someone down the road will dare sell it as real. I have seen several prominent "custom carders" who can make a carded figure look 100% genuine, but know enough to mark it as repro.

I agree with John, replicas of this quality are not good for the hobby. If you are looking to make more of these coins, go for unproduced ones like Gargan or make a Bossk or IG-88 coin. Those, I would buy.

Mark

Reaction score
I had no idea there were repro coins this well done out there. It would be nice to have a list of the ones that have been done and what the differences are, so those of us trying to get originals know what to look out for.

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge mark poon has only made 2 coins so far, Anakin and Fett. speedracer gets them from him, he even used the pics from one of marks auction, which can be seen here.

My question is why is speedracer still allowed to post here to [censored] his wares? The vast majority of his posts are replys to surreptitiously guide people to his site. A site that was banned years ago when he posted under toyrestore.

Reaction score
Now, it is getting interesting...
And here I thought I was getting a good deal.

So, is there anyone else out there that offers this kind of repro or is "Speed" the only one? And just how did "Speed" get himself banned? Just curious....
It seems offering repros and telling potential buyers upfront isn't breaking any rules...but, then again....

Reaction score
it goes deeper than that. it's about what's good for the hobby and star wars collecting in general.

i have loved star wars since i was a kid, and i collect star wars items with a passion. i love watching my kids get into star wars, and sharing star wars with them.

some people are just [censored] and wanna make a buck and could care less about the toys, the hobby, and the people.

in my opinion, and it's just mine, these people don't belong on this board.

Reaction score
LordWill said:
it goes deeper than that. it's about what's good for the hobby and star wars collecting in general.

i have loved star wars since i was a kid, and i collect star wars items with a passion. i love watching my kids get into star wars, and sharing star wars with them.

some people are just [censored] and wanna make a buck and could care less about the toys, the hobby, and the people.

in my opinion, and it's just mine, these people don't belong on this board.
I agree also....maybe we should only be allowed to trade on this board

yodascorch

Reaction score
This morning I received two vintage figures(not star wars) and the seller knew I liked star wars. So when I opened the package there was a star wars coin thrown in as a freebie.To say the least I was delighted. I dont collect the coins and I dont think I will ever start as I just prefer the loose complete figures.
So I went on here to see if there were any pictures (as my first thought was to check if it was original) as I already knew reproductions existed(I think its safe to say there going to try and reproduce/counterfeit everthing and not just star wars). So I came across this thread and I think repros and counterfeitng is total and utter BS.

To actually put TM and the year it was really made in, is totally and deliberately misleading. It is destroying the hobby of collecting vintage figures and the theraputic values some people get from it. If nobody bought them there would not be a market for them and they would go out of business.I know thats wishful thinking but in ten years time it seems carbon dating(I am being sarcastic) these items will be the only way to know for sure especially for someone of my limited experience whom these people love to prey on.

Can I ask is there someone here who knows alot about these coins so I can pm with a picture to confirm its originality if it is original I Will probably want to trade or sell it. Trying to keep it real not repro!

Reaction score
No, they're not marked as reproductions but a trained eye can tell the difference fairly easy.

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to drag up this thread again, but explain to me what a trained eye may see that would allow it to tell the difference. I have recently bought many high end coins, and while I would consider the seller(s) trustworthy, I would like this information for myself as well as for others.
Thanks

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old post but...

I can't believe I'm doing this again lol, you guys are going to think I'm mad but.. check this out. A week or so ago I bought that Silver Boba Fett coin for $350 from the guy who was selling a gold AFA 90 one. Well it arrived today and it looked bit iffy right away. I was looking at it all day trying to convince myself it was fine, anyway ended up getting some scales and it weighed 1-2 grams more than normal coins, at around 5-6 grams. The coin feels like a different metal but only slightly, notice in the picture the detail different in the belt compared to my AFA 85 one underneath. The 'new' coin is a lot less detail and more bubbly/rounded in detail. Notice the BOUNTY HUNTER text is a lot closer to the edge. Anyway I dug around and found this link:Star Wars Celebration VI vintage Boba Fett 92 cardback METAL coin silver POTF | eBay Which I'm pretty sure is the same fake/reproduction coin as I have just received. This is a very realistic close repro which is not a thicker restrike, I didn't know any fakes existed so close. Added to the mix, check out the sellers gold coin auction:Kenner Star Wars DROIDS BOBA FETT COIN AFA Graded 90 #10407266 | eBay and compare it to here for detail:Google Image Result for http://www.pomse2001.dk/Wanted/Boba%2520Fett%2520Gold%2520Coin.jpg Check out the belt detail and other areas. To me, that looks like a fake gold fett which the AFA graded 90, no?

Glenn

Last edited:
Reaction score
To me, that looks like a fake gold fett which the AFA graded 90, no?
Wow, that's exactly what it looks like to me. The words are definitely too close to the edge of the coin. I've never seen any legit examples of POTF coins that look like that. Granted, I've only seen a few Fetts in person, but perhaps someone with more experience can chime in?

If there are counterfeit POTF coins good enough to fool AFA, that's very, very disturbing. Have you confronted the seller yet? Notified AFA?

Reaction score
I bought two card kits from a seller on ebay with Yak Face card and repro coin and Anakin potf card and coin... It would be nice to have a repro potf coin set if the price was right. But they still pale in comparison to real coins of course. Would make a nice display...

Reaction score
This morning I received two vintage figures(not star wars) and the seller knew I liked star wars. So when I opened the package there was a star wars coin thrown in as a freebie.To say the least I was delighted. I dont collect the coins and I dont think I will ever start as I just prefer the loose complete figures.
So I went on here to see if there were any pictures (as my first thought was to check if it was original) as I already knew reproductions existed(I think its safe to say there going to try and reproduce/counterfeit everthing and not just star wars). So I came across this thread and I think repros and counterfeitng is total and utter BS.

To actually put TM and the year it was really made in, is totally and deliberately misleading. It is destroying the hobby of collecting vintage figures and the theraputic values some people get from it. If nobody bought them there would not be a market for them and they would go out of business.I know thats wishful thinking but in ten years time it seems carbon dating(I am being sarcastic) these items will be the only way to know for sure especially for someone of my limited experience whom these people love to prey on.

Can I ask is there someone here who knows alot about these coins so I can pm with a picture to confirm its originality if it is original I Will probably want to trade or sell it. Trying to keep it real not repro!
I totally agree with you. It would be one thing if they put "reproduction" somewhere on the coin. The market is getting flooded with repros from coins & accessories, to recards. It is getting more difficult for the average collector to tell the difference. If people want a rare item in their collection, they should take the time to save, track down, and get the real deal (or live without it). The problem comes in when collectors need money and then sell their repross off as legit items (not everybody, but a lof of them). This problem seems to be getting worse and worse these days. For those who say "you just need to do your research" or "train your eye", it's not that easy, especially when it's on ebay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old post but...

I can't believe I'm doing this again lol, you guys are going to think I'm mad but.. check this out. A week or so ago I bought that Silver Boba Fett coin for $350 from the guy who was selling a gold AFA 90 one. Well it arrived today and it looked bit iffy right away. I was looking at it all day trying to convince myself it was fine, anyway ended up getting some scales and it weighed 1-2 grams more than normal coins, at around 5-6 grams. The coin feels like a different metal but only slightly, notice in the picture the detail different in the belt compared to my AFA 85 one underneath. The 'new' coin is a lot less detail and more bubbly/rounded in detail. Notice the BOUNTY HUNTER text is a lot closer to the edge. Anyway I dug around and found this link:Star Wars Celebration VI vintage Boba Fett 92 cardback METAL coin silver POTF | eBay Which I'm pretty sure is the same fake/reproduction coin as I have just received. This is a very realistic close repro which is not a thicker restrike, I didn't know any fakes existed so close. Added to the mix, check out the sellers gold coin auction:Kenner Star Wars DROIDS BOBA FETT COIN AFA Graded 90 #10407266 | eBay and compare it to here for detail:Google Image Result for http://www.pomse2001.dk/Wanted/Boba%2520Fett%2520Gold%2520Coin.jpg Check out the belt detail and other areas. To me, that looks like a fake gold fett which the AFA graded 90, no?

Glenn
For those who don't already know, there is a fake PSA slab scam that has surfaced in recent months. It isn't inconceivable that what you're looking at here is a tampered slab with switched coin, or outright fake all the way through. See the above link to see how convincing the PSA slab looked. The scammer has now started moving into comics and coins. No proof of any fake slabs in these collectible categories, but people who are cross-collecting caught him posting his usual "hey look what I bought" scheme in an attempt to friend and screw over comic hobbyists on the CGC boards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got burned with the Anakin and Fett repros. I bought them from an attendee at Cincinnati Comic Expo last year.

I just found out last week that they were repros. The plastic cases threw me off.

I'm pretty sure the Anakin figure is legit, though.

Been racking my brain to remember the guy I got them from. I'm hoping to run into him again this year.

I've been checking up on that Mark Poon guy but is there picture evidence of him? Trying to see if I recongnize him.

Luckily, they didn't cost me a bundle. I should have know better, though.