removing price stickers from vintage figure cardbacks

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have been away for awhile!! I was wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try and remove price stickers using lighter fluid as I have seen on YouTube and have you been successful

Reaction score
More often then not removing price stickers either causes damage or can show discoloration/fading. They also are a cool part of the items history. You are better off just leaving them, unless they are covering a major part of the photo art on the card.

Reaction score
More often then not removing price stickers either causes damage or can show discoloration/fading. They also are a cool part of the items history. You are better off just leaving them, unless they are covering a major part of the photo art on the card.
I agree with this, the old stores and prices are a time capsule and add to the coolness of the cards.

Reaction score
I like the "where did they come from" story that the price stickers tell. One thing I will say is that watching others do it and doing it yourself are two different things. If you're interested in trying it then buy just a cheap/destroyed cardback with a sticker and run a test on it. Usually when they come off you can always tell where they were, but it does give them a general cleaner look. Best of luck

Reaction score
A
I appreciate the feedback. No sticker removal for me !!!😃
Absolutely do not use lighter fluid...yes it removes the sticker but a few years later the cards will bubble. I have personally damaged my own moc years ago so I learned the hard way! K

Reaction score
An orange TRU sticker is a gift from God, just leave it there. If it's right over the character's face then I'll pass.

Reaction score
An orange TRU sticker is a gift from God, just leave it there. If it's right over the character's face then I'll pass.
I also hate when the old cards had the mail away offer stickers over the character faces. Those stickers are awesome, but they do detract in that one instance.

Reaction score
It's a nice look back at so many retailers that are gone and we can remember them because of a small price sticker on vintage toys!

Reaction score
Indeed, I recently picked up a figure just for the price sticker nostalgia! It's from Hills, one of my childhood favorites!

Reaction score
If the sticker is from a store that I would have actually received a toy from as a kid, then it might actually add to the value of the carded figure for me.
For example, there was a regional retailer in New Mexico, called Grand Central, that was shut down in 1985. But I remember my dad taking my brother and I there to buy us some GI Joe figures, in late 1984. So, if I could find a GI Joe Recondo action figure with a Grand Central price sticker on it, that would be significantly more valuable to me than a carded Recondo figure without any price stickers.

Also, I still regularly search for a POTF Barada figure with a TRU price sticker that has the price marked out and "2 for $1.00" written above it in Sharpie marker. Basically, I'm looking for the exact same Barada figure that I picked up in a TRU, in 1986, but then set back on the shelf and didn't buy on that day. I keep "vintage POTF Barada" as a saved search on eBay and check it almost daily to see if this specific item ever shows up.

So, what may be an eyesore to you might just end up being someone else's "grail" (as much as I don't like to use that term, but I think in this case it kind of fits).

Reaction score
Price stickers can have historical value, as many will have nostalgia for their local store, but espcially if it's from another country.
If you have to try, try gently warming it up, hair dryer or something. Some stickers come off easy, some impossible. If it's a high ticket item, I would contact a paper conservator, they will rather give up rather than damage a piece. I did this once with a rare palitoy 30 back that hadd sellotape on it. She manage to remove one piece, but not all.

Reaction score
I like my Lionel Kiddie City tags...reminds me of the good ol’ days when you could find figures at retail.

Reaction score
When my brother and I were taking pictures of our recently recovered cardback collection, some of the price stickers simply fell off. We took no action to remove them forcibly, but some price stickers have given up.

Reaction score
Always leave them on now instead of trying to remove them. There so old now even if you get the stickers off the residue( glue) will be there and it will ruin the card when you try and remove it. I prefer the stickers off but I have seen hundreds damaged from trying to remove them.