QUESTION Removal of paint off weapons ?

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
I got a package with various weapons that have a variety of paint on them. Old model paint I think.
Some silver some black little bit of red.
From guns to snakes , it's right in there šŸ„“

Can I use metho or Turps ?
Or another alternative?

Photos below

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_060438009.jpg
    PXL_20211018_060438009.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20211018_060430292.jpg
    PXL_20211018_060430292.jpg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 27

Dax

Reaction score
Ultrasonic cleaner would be my go to. They usually sell them for cleaning jewellery but my experience with them is for cleaning technical and calligraphy pens. A pen with 20 year old ink will come clean as good as new with one of those cleaners.

Be wary of chemical cleaners as they could cause damage to the plastic.

Reaction score
Ultrasonic cleaner would be my go to. They usually sell them for cleaning jewellery but my experience with them is for cleaning technical and calligraphy pens. A pen with 20 year old ink will come clean as good as new with one of those cleaners.

Be wary of chemical cleaners as they could cause damage to the plastic.
Okay. Interesting. I think for now I might soak them in hot water. Some it just scratches off , some not so much.
The issue is the small lines in blasters and the texture in the snakes.
Ill report back šŸ§

Reaction score
I used warm water with white vinegar. Ratio about 50/50
soaked for an hour. Seemed to have helped. Got most of it off. I did some spot cleaning with methylated spirits. Not advised I know but is useful in small amounts.
the silver however won't budge.

Reaction score
Oven cleaner, (like Easy-Off, etc.) can remove the paint and won't eat into the plastic like turp or methanol. Just put the parts in a jar and spray the oven cleaner in, cap, and let soak for about 20 mins. Remove and wash with clean water and rub off the paint.

Used this method to strip the chrome off my beater C-3PO and the plastic is still perfect. He still had some spots or chrome that I had to clear off with a toothpick in this pic, but he's all cleaned up now. Works great.

IMG_0907.JPG

Reaction score
Oven cleaner, (like Easy-Off, etc.) can remove the paint and won't eat into the plastic like turp or methanol. Just put the parts in a jar and spray the oven cleaner in, cap, and let soak for about 20 mins. Remove and wash with clean water and rub off the paint.

Used this method to strip the chrome off my beater C-3PO and the plastic is still perfect. He still had some spots or chrome that I had to clear off with a toothpick in this pic, but he's all cleaned up now. Works great.

View attachment 404830
Wow.. That's almost worth doing just to have a figure like this.. pretty cool.

Not to change topic, however ,wasn't there another method to make 3po silver??

Reaction score
Dunno about making him silver, but there was a large range of tones on him... I'm sure someone along the way probably figured out how to silverize him through reverse alchemy. For the 3PO's I own, I think my earlier ESB version I have is more silverish and golden-rod. My POTF carded 3PO looks like a fake Rolex (super gold tone).

Not my pic, but you get the idea:
1635547657020.png

And about the cool looking "naked-3PO's": You'll most likely run into the vanilla plastic way more than the colorful versions. I was lucky that my beater one was already showing colors through the rubbed off chrome before he became a stripper:

Before oven-cleaner death:
1635547823707.jpeg

Typical French Vanilla plastic under most of the chromed 3PO's & DSD's:
1635547967340.png

Bottom line, only oven-cleaner kill beaters that can't be saved and that have chrome rubbed off enough to see what's under there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Years ago I got a Tie Pilot pistol that was painted black. I can't remember what I used to strip the paint, but it came off by scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

Short term, especially where a lot of the paint looks like it's already coming off, you could try some brake fluid. I used some to de-chrome a couple of droids with no damage to the plastic. The best one I came across color-wise was this one.

Attachments

• 20200615_202307.jpg
    20200615_202307.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200615_202313.jpg
    20200615_202313.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Years ago I got a Tie Pilot pistol that was painted black. I can't remember what I used to strip the paint, but it came off by scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

Short term, especially where a lot of the paint looks like it's already coming off, you could try some brake fluid. I used some to de-chrome a couple of droids with no damage to the plastic. The best one I came across color-wise was this one.
Cool naked DSD!

I've heard the break fluid can actually break down/weaken/soften the plastic if left soaking too long. First DSD I tried dechroming with DOT3 fluid left some white hazy residue that kept leaching out of the plastic. The harder plastic on the torso also cracked on that DSD.

Some people use bleach to dechrome too, but I haven't tried that.