REMCO: Universal Monsters

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can answer this

this past weekend i saw 2 MOC remco mini monster draculas. they had 2 different capes. one had the commonly seen black cape with red inside. the other one had a black cloth cape with cut bottom like batman's. it looked like the neck area on this cape hooked around draculas neck like super power's capes.

does anyone know of this variant??? the card was completly sealed.

Reaction score
I've never heard of that variation before, and would be curious to see pictures. Skeptical, but curious. Where did you seen them?

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can answer this

this past weekend i saw 2 MOC remco mini monster draculas. they had 2 different capes. one had the commonly seen black cape with red inside. the other one had a black cloth cape with cut bottom like batman's. it looked like the neck area on this cape hooked around draculas neck like super power's capes.

does anyone know of this variant??? the card was completly sealed.
Hello,

I'm a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I'm familiar with this forum because I am a toy collector, but I have only been a casual observer in the past. However, doing some research on Remco Mini Monsters brought me here, specifically to this thread, because I feel like I've found the figure that the op talks about in this thread from nearly 8 years ago.

I picked up the following item on ebay this week: Universal Studios Remco Dracula Monster NIP 1980 Still SEALED | eBay

It had been sitting there for awhile and I made the seller an offer and they accepted. The seller isn't exactly sure what they have, and their opinion was that even though it appeared to be factory sealed, they thought that it was a reseal. They thought the reason for the yellowing of the bubble must be the glue. However, in closely looking at the pictures, I can see the waffling from the heat press. I'll have to get it into my hands to know for sure, but it it's hard to find evidence of a reseal from looking at the pics. There appears to be a slight bit of paint loss on the fingers of Dracula's right hand, and a little paint loss on his medallion, but this is not uncommon for a sealed item, when the figures rub up against the bubble.

In doing some searching on Google for remco variants I discovered this thread from 2007.

My question is, is this the EXACT same figure that the op was talking about? Or is there a chance that it's some sample of some sort, one off, variant, etc...

a quick search and comparison on Ebay showed similar MOC's with the same/similar yellowing, and not a faded fig:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMCO-Dracul...item2ed9f20d35

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Remc...item2c8ef3967a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item1c495c180b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item1c495c2bb8

I also checked my MOC set of Mini Monsters (I have a complete set of the glowburst carded figs, a sealed playcase, and a NIB Mini Monsterizer as well), and they share the waffling from the heat press. Also, it is an oddly shaped bubble. So essentially, the only way that I could see it being a re-seal would be if the scammer had the original card AND original bubble. But then how would the create the heat press waffling? It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a not very valuable figure.

The item had been sitting on ebay for awhile, so I contacted the seller and made a low'ish offer from what they were asking. They accepted, so I can live with it being a re-seal, I just want to get my hands on it to find out for myself.

Finding this thread made me curious. I posted a similar thread over at the Mego Museum forum, and those guys all seem to feel it is a re-seal. Can anybody shed some light on this? Additionally, as I said, it appears to share the same waffling as my other MOC mini monsters. Are there some tell tale signs of a re-seal that I can look for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I'm familiar with this forum because I am a toy collector, but I have only been a casual observer in the past. However, doing some research on Remco Mini Monsters brought me here, specifically to this thread, because I feel like I've found the figure that the op talks about in this thread from nearly 8 years ago.

I picked up the following item on ebay this week: Universal Studios Remco Dracula Monster NIP 1980 Still SEALED | eBay

It had been sitting there for awhile and I made the seller an offer and they accepted. The seller isn't exactly sure what they have, and their opinion was that even though it appeared to be factory sealed, they thought that it was a reseal. They thought the reason for the yellowing of the bubble must be the glue. However, in closely looking at the pictures, I can see the waffling from the heat press. I'll have to get it into my hands to know for sure, but it it's hard to find evidence of a reseal from looking at the pics. There appears to be a slight bit of paint loss on the fingers of Dracula's right hand, and a little paint loss on his medallion, but this is not uncommon for a sealed item, when the figures rub up against the bubble.

In doing some searching on Google for remco variants I discovered this thread from 2007.

My question is, is this the EXACT same figure that the op was talking about? Or is there a chance that it's some sample of some sort, one off, variant, etc...

a quick search and comparison on Ebay showed similar MOC's with the same/similar yellowing, and not a faded fig:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMCO-Dracul...item2ed9f20d35

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Remc...item2c8ef3967a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item1c495c180b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item1c495c2bb8

I also checked my MOC set of Mini Monsters (I have a complete set of the glowburst carded figs, a sealed playcase, and a NIB Mini Monsterizer as well), and they share the waffling from the heat press. Also, it is an oddly shaped bubble. So essentially, the only way that I could see it being a re-seal would be if the scammer had the original card AND original bubble. But then how would the create the heat press waffling? It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a not very valuable figure.

The item had been sitting on ebay for awhile, so I contacted the seller and made a low'ish offer from what they were asking. They accepted, so I can live with it being a re-seal, I just want to get my hands on it to find out for myself.

Finding this thread made me curious. I posted a similar thread over at the Mego Museum forum, and those guys all seem to feel it is a re-seal. Can anybody shed some light on this? Additionally, as I said, it appears to share the same waffling as my other MOC mini monsters. Are there some tell tale signs of a re-seal that I can look for?
Hello sir welcome I am also new to the Forum I doubt that its a reseal .what a great variation hope you got it

Reaction score
Hello sir welcome I am also new to the Forum I doubt that its a reseal .what a great variation hope you got it
Thanks for the reply, what makes you say that it's not a reseal?

I did get it, it's on it's way to me now. Nobody except the op back in '07 has ever seen one, as far as I can tell.

Reaction score
cause if my memory serves me correct back in 81-82/ I did see a cloth Dracula carded in the either Kmart or Toys R US in liquidation and Remco toys usually did variations with their toy lines without reason since it was not a company like Kenner or Mattel in those days .I have also discovered Remco Lost World of the Warlord slight variations over the years

Reaction score
cause if my memory serves me correct back in 81-82/ I did see a cloth Dracula carded in the either Kmart or Toys R US in liquidation and Remco toys usually did variations with their toy lines without reason since it was not a company like Kenner or Mattel in those days .I have also discovered Remco Lost World of the Warlord slight variations over the years
Wow, very intersting. Thank you.

Reaction score
This is the rest of my Mini Monster Collection, but I'd really like more information on the Dracula figure in the Op:

Reaction score
Yes, but usually just a few pieces per line. The Mini Monsters are the only one that I have a complete set of.

Reaction score
Eagle Force Mego 1981 and Flash Gordon Mattel 1979 really take me back
I only collect toys that I had as a kid. So if I remember em' from childhood, I try to get a carded example or two from a line. Every toy I collect has sentimental value to me.

Reaction score
I only collect toys that I had as a kid. So if I remember em' from childhood, I try to get a carded example or two from a line. Every toy I collect has sentimental value to me.
yeah I am the same I really need to take a picture of what I own at the moment and post it here

I don't remember those watch robots / when did those come out?

Reaction score
Thanks... I sold most of my loose vintage action figures to make room for other hobby interests. I still have the case minus the figures. Here is a photo of my loose action figure collection from back in the day... I'm currently selling the custom LEGO glass risers seen in the photos currently in the vintage classified...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1115761/

Reaction score
that is or was a cool collection Kaneda_01 similar stuff to my own. what are the 3 big cases in the bottom pic? I could definitely use a few of those.

Reaction score
Okay, got the figure in the mail today. Here are some detailed pics. No obvious sign of a re-seal. Waffling pattern from the heat press throughout. There were two areas in the initial pics that looked funny to me, but those are actual creases in the card and are on both sides of the card, meaning, it doesn't appear to be a surface rib or seperation on the front of the card. Any and all thoughts welcome on these:

This is the area I was talking about that was a stress mark on both sides:

Reaction score
I think people that I've asked are just kind of stumped. Remco didn't have any other figures that used that style of cape. Honestly, I don't remember that style of the hook around the neck being used prior to '84 with the Super Powers line.

Reaction score
The cape makes me really skeptical. Some of the card wear along the seal on the right side of the bubble (Dracula's left) looks suspicious. I don't know that it would have jumped out at me otherwise, but coupled with the cape gives me pause. It's interesting, but my gut-level feeling is that it's not legit. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

Last edited:
Reaction score
On the other hand, that cape is such a perfect fit and I don't recognize it from anything else. On the other other hand, I've always assumed that this card was the earlier of the two glow variations, since it's more similar to the non-glowers' card. You would think if they did a change, they would stick with it. However, the regular Dracula is normal on the presumably later card (with the color burst around the bubble).

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Kevin. This thing seems to have everybody stumped.

Somebody on another board mentioned that the cape looks like the Toybiz Batman cape from '89, but having both the Super Powers Batman and the Toy Biz Batman for comparison, those capes are too long. Not to mention, those figures are substantially bigger and bulkier for size comparison purposes. However, I don't remember any figures using a similar cape clasp/hook around the neck prior to the Super Powers line in '84.

If it wasn't for finding this thread from way back in '07, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the figure being a re-seal. If it is a re-seal, have I found the exact same figure that prompted this thread to begin with, or is there another?

I think if this was indeed a reseal, and I am looking at the same figure from back then, my belief is that the original person who did it did an amazing job, probably out of dumb luck. For me, it was the left side of the bubble (Drac's right) that looked suspicious, but it does match similarly yellowed bubbles of the line, like the ones that I linked earlier in the thread from Ebay.

Possibilities:

1. If it's a re-seal, some kid's Drac's bubble probably dried up and fell off perfectly with no damage to the card or bubble. The kid replaced the cape and glued it back down, and did a damn good job by way of luck. I don't see this as being a scammer trying to create some holy grail figure. Frankly, I don't see them going to the trouble because it's just not a valuable figure to begin with. It would only appeal to a very small percent of collectors.
2. If it's not a re-seal, perhaps a salesman sample of some sort? Made to promote the new GOTD features? They contemplated a change in cape but didn't go with it?
3. A true one off variation, like the small changes Remco is known for in other lines?

In the end, as somebody mentioned on another board... One way or another, it's an interesting conversation piece!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does the poster who started this thread in 2007 still post to this board? I'm curious as to his location, to know where it was that he saw it. This one that I've got came from Amok Time Toys in New York.

Reaction score
This is the rest of my Mini Monster Collection, but I'd really like more information on the Dracula figure in the Op:

Great pic! I absolutely love this line. Currently I have a mint loose "Regular" set and am working on finishing my MOC Glow carded figures. I've been chasing the Mummy for the last 5 years. That Monsterizer is gorgeous! Another piece I am missing as well.

Congrats on getting that Dracula. I've probably passed that auction and not even noticed the cape difference. Now I have something else to hunt. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, the Mini Monsterizer, believe it or not, was the first piece I got in the line. It was complete luck. I've been watching for them ever since, and they are very elusive!

There was actually a Mini Monsterizer with box on Ebay last night that hit $455.00 but did not meet the reserve... First one I have seen on Ebay in forever with a box:

1980 Remco Mini Monster Monsterizer with Original Box Near Mint WOW | eBay

Reaction score
Yeah, I was watching that as well. I'd like a loose one, but even the last loose one went for more than I'd like to spend.

Reaction score
Wolfman and Mummy on the "glowburst" card, and the boxed Monsterizer have to be three of the hardest items I've ever tried to find in any line.

Reaction score
I have a set of carded glow figures (mixed plain and graphic bubbles) and a set of loose non-glow figures. They are really cool - I only had a couple as a kid (Drac, Phantom, and Frankenstein). It's a cool line.