Reimagining the OT: Good for Star Wars?

Reaction score
I assume were talking about a total redo not just an update with a few new scenes thrown in like last time?
The prequals and clonewars are okay but I say leave the OT alone for now ( it may require another upgrade down the road as technology progresses ). If you make episodes 7-9 than you take less risk because if any flop you can write it off just like TPM.

Reaction score
What I fear most from a complete redo would be that the story itself would suffer from any PT type additions he would be almost assuredly tempted to throw into the mix now...wacky creatures, poo poo humor, Gungans in Mos Eisely, scenes of the Senate being dissolved on Coruscant (yawn!), the Emperor in Episode IV as a main character or something ridiculous like that...oh and maybe the Falcon suddenly becoming this super shiny vehicle with a less lived-in, living-on-the-outer-rim feel. Luke might become this overly modernized teen angst ridden would be hero that you just want to slap for example. Han might become too cool for words and Leia some overly hot star with attitude to match. I would also be scared that dialogue would get rewritten to the point that much of the charm of the originals would be lost. Not to mention who could pull off Han the way Ford did, or who could do Luke in the same sympathetic way or Leia with that hard edge she had that was never over the top. I doubt any new versions would be recognizable in tone and texture and emotional quality to the originals. But at least they'd probably end up being as wishy washy and uneven as the PT!

Reaction score
I dont know what they would do about Han Solo since Harrison Ford would never play the role again. If you even bring up Star wars you can see his eyes role in the back of his head but at the same time he will give kudos for it launching his career. I think the rest of the cast would do it but I cant speak for them obviously.
I say do a CG or cartoon version to do epsiode 7-9 and leave OT alone.

Reaction score
You don't remake Star Wars for the same reason that you don't repaint the Mona Lisa. Take all those late 60's, and 70's series that you mentioned such as BSG, star trek etc combine their popularity, multiply it by a million and they still aren't as popular as star wars has been. The reason most were remade is because they stagnated and were forgotten, and then someone looked at a dead IP and saw dollar signs so it was "reimagined", and a new series born into mediocrity (BSG being the one exception). Star Wars is fine as is and needs no redoing. Lucas would never allow it anyway he has an iron grip on that IP that noone would ever be able to challenge nor should they, I mean honestly its his ONLY good work I wouldnt want someone to butcher my one and only real achievement if I were him either.

Reaction score
Totally, I mean he is quite capable of butchering his own work on his own thank you very much!

I agree with you though, there is something about it that makes it rise merely above one interpretation of its story. All the elements that came together then for Lucas, the level of effects technology, the type of story told and its pacing (that was obviously partially a product of that era), the specific actors, editors, cinematography...everything, makes it a work of art, not just a property to be exploited ad nauseam!

Reaction score
I shudder at the thought of re-making SW. Think about it - one of the great things about the movie was it was mostly made with nobodys or up-and-coming actors. Peter Cushing and Alec Guniess were certainly established, but that's about it. If Hollywood were to re-make it today, they'd probably insist on some star power like:

Luke: Owen Wilson
Vader: Anthony Hopkins
R2-D2: Jason "Wee Man" Acuna
Leia: Katherine Heigl
Han: Bruce Willis
Tarkin: Alan Rickman
C3P0: Johnny Depp
Chewie: Shaquille O'Neal
Obi-Wan: Richard Gere

Reaction score
Well, fortunately and unfortunately, Star Wars is a cash cow when it comes to movies and TV shows. Thus, 20-30 down the road, whoever ends up with the rights to the franchise after Lucas dies is probably going to care more about making money hand over fist rather than preserving the childhood memories of a bunch of 60-70 year old Star Wars fans.

So it's more of a question of when, not if, this is going to happen. I just hope it's long after I die of old age.

Reaction score
blil said:
I shudder at the thought of re-making SW. Think about it - one of the great things about the movie was it was mostly made with nobodys or up-and-coming actors. Peter Cushing and Alec Guniess were certainly established, but that's about it. If Hollywood were to re-make it today, they'd probably insist on some star power like:

Luke: Owen Wilson
Vader: Anthony Hopkins
R2-D2: Jason "Wee Man" Acuna
Leia: Katherine Heigl
Han: Bruce Willis
Tarkin: Alan Rickman
C3P0: Johnny Depp
Chewie: Shaquille O'Neal
Obi-Wan: Richard Gere

Yes! Willis as Han! "Let's blow this mother@#$%er and go home kid!"
"Yippee-ki-ay Boba!"
And the whole time in a wife beater that gets progressivly more dirty as the trilogy goes on.

Reaction score
I say no. It might be cool if they did a "Clone Wars" style animated movie or mini-series that took place between the films.
For instance, something in between Empire & Jedi.
Remaking the original films would be a bad idea though.