Reimagining the OT: Good for Star Wars?

Reaction score
This is something of an offshoot of another discussion about whether or not Star Wars has become greater than Lucas and whether or not he should respect the EU more than he does because of that: George Lucas or Star Wars?

In this discussion, someone mentioned the idea of Lucas "reimagining" the OT, and my initial reaction was of utter distaste- how could he even dare? But then it dawned on me that just about every other property from the same era (late seventies/early eighties) that has survived public consciousness has been or is being "reimagined" (BSG, Star Trek, Friday the 13th, GI Joe, etc.) so why not Star Wars?

My reaction was still utter distaste
. Yet, the question remains- could Star Wars be successfully remade? What would a remake look like? Who would play Luke, Leia, and the others? Should the original story be retold, or new adventures with the classic characters? What do you think?

Reaction score
No, thank you! The "Special Edition" is already too much "reimagining."

I shudder to think what Hollywood could do to Star Wars in the 21st century: Han has a drinking problem, Chewie pursues an "alternate lifestyle," Luke & Leia marry before discovering that they are siblings, Vader is an asthmatic CEO from a failed investment bank, C-3PO and R2-D2 fall in love......

Reaction score
Awesome! Some casting ideas:

Director: Michael Bay

Luke: Brad Pitt
Luuke: Brad Pitt
Leia: Kirsten Dunst/Pam Anderson (?)
Han: Tom Cruise
Lando: Will Smith
Bongo Fett (Jango's template from the Fett: Blood Rise novels): Clooney

Art Direction/ Concepts: Rob Liefeld

Kidding of course, hehe!

Reaction score
i don't think it needs to have a new property like st:tng or the new bsg. but, i think it would be cool to see it done in the animated form like the clone wars or something of the like. i would truly enjoy that!

Reaction score
How about Richard Jenkins as Obi Wan? I've never seen him with a beard, but he has a gravity to his characters that wold be good for the part.

James Franco would make a great Han Solo.

Ellen Page or Kristin Stewart as Leia

Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca and Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, of course- they will never die.

Luke is the hardest- Mark Hamill embodied the role so completely, it's hard to imagine anyone else doing it. And, apparently, he embodied the role so well it was hard for anyone to imagine him doing anything else!

I don't think you could use an established actor; you'd have to go with an unknown. The success of an OT era film with new actors would heavily depend on who was chosen as Luke, really.

Reaction score
I would not want to see any of the SW movies re-done. The Special Editions were enough.

Part of the magic of SW was what it represented at the time. Now with solid, modern CGI, I think some of the OT elements would be lost. Even the prequels had elaborate battles and an epic scale that almost dwarfs the actual storyline.

Reaction score
Nothing to gain and everything to lose by redoing the OT.

If he wants to use Stormtroopers, etc again, he can explore a part of the SWU that wasn't covered by the OT films.

I think he could make the most money by following up the OT with eps 7-9 using the aged original cast (like Star Trek did in the 1980s). Only one actor would refuse--Harrison Ford--and there are ways around that.

Reaction score
I say NO to the re do.

However I would love to see 7-9 or even another live action TV series set after ROTJ.

Reaction score
Bounty_Hunter_XP said:
I think he could make the most money by following up the OT with eps 7-9 using the aged original cast (like Star Trek did in the 1980s). Only one actor would refuse--Harrison Ford--and there are ways around that.
Why is he so against reprising as Han Solo? What does Indy have that Han doesn't, seriously? It's the same character in a different setting.
And what kinds of ways are you thinking? Like killing him off?

Reaction score
Maybe when we are all dead.

Other than that, why should he? There must be so many stories to tell that he shouldn't have to.

Reaction score
Please dont even joke about this. There is NO WAY any one wants to see the OT re-done. I just hope they don't even think about this.

Reaction score
irocink33 said:
Please dont even joke about this. There is NO WAY any one wants to see the OT re-done. I just hope they don't even think about this.
they have already thought about it! but so far nobody has attempted it,give it time,George's kids get controlling interest when he's gone...........

Reaction score
There are some classics that should not be redone Star Wars is one of them! IMO the magic ANH had will never be recaptured, sure it can be remade but it could never be the same, basically the only reason to redo it would be for better visual effects and money!

Reaction score
I think I'll see how well the Star Trek film turns out, and then decide what I think about doing iconic cult films with different actors.

I've got a feeling it's inevitable, though, even if we're old folks when it happens. Remaking classics is the way of Hollywood these days. I'm sure there are folks in nursing homes all across the country falling out of their wheelchairs at all the crappy remakes of classics from the 30's through the 50's and 60's. But for those of us who have never seen the original, what do we have to compare it to?

And nobody says we have to watch it if they do it, right?

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there who thinks it could be a *good* idea? I'm interested to hear the other side.

Reaction score
82jp said:
Is there anybody out there who thinks it could be a *good* idea? I'm interested to hear the other side.
OK, i'm prepared to play ball. I don't think that there would be many here that would think that it's be a good idea. We could see what positives people can think of?

1. The Special Effects would be superb.
2. If Greedo does shoot first, it'll look convincing.

Reaction score
Greedo shooting first AGAIN?! You just sealed the deal against this travesty of an idea my friend.

Reaction score
Well, I think the point that was being made was that Greedo shooting first *didn't* look convincing because it wasn't originally written that way, but was fudged to look as if he did using the original film in the special edition. In a remake, it would be written into the script, so it would look more convincing. Unless of course the screenplay was written by someone else who wanted to preserve the original idea. But Lucas would have to be dead or infirm for that to happen.

Reaction score
Here's another interesting idea: a reimagining using McQuarrie concept designs...

Reaction score
If you used started with the original designs, it would actually be easy to reimagine the events, because McQuarrie's designs in some cases differ drastically from what ended up being used.
For example, would a McQuarrie Chewbacca have the same personality as the OT Chewie? McChewie's appearance doesn't really lend itself to the cuddly but deadly persona that OT Chewie ended up having. McChewie is scarier-looking, more imposing, perhaps deadlier...
Besides that, McHan has a lightsaber, as does Starkiller Hero (is it Luke or Leia?), as do the Stormtroopers. Stormtroopers with lighsabers? That would take quite a bit of reimagining!
Do you see what I mean?

Reaction score
I dont think it will work the one reason star trek is being redone is because the franchise was stale and needed new life, star wars is not in that postion and so it would work.

Reaction score
That's a good point. If anything, Star Wars is suffering from overexposure right now

Reaction score
I'm 50/50. part of me wants this not to even be discussed, but part of me also thinks if done right it could be even better than the original. However, I'm pretty sure nothing new for SW will be on the big screen for at least the next decade or 2. CW is going real strong & will probably last longer than it's original 5 years. The "live" show isn't even near actually making it to TV. GL has red tails as well as another movie project in the works. And there might even be Indy 5. So I don't think GL will have the time do it, nor allow it to be done by someone else as long as he's around. Now after he's gone who knows what will happen.

Reaction score
Plus, we're only like 17 years from the 50th Anniv. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a SE or director's cut or something like that already being looked at.

Reaction score
This is a fantastic question!

I mean in theory there is no reason not to but it does allude to one very incredible thing!

Star Wars is more than a film, more than a film idea that can be reattempted, more than simply a good story that some would say is suffering from when it was made.

It is a phenomenon and tied intimately to its original manifestation. It represents a kind of rupture in both cinema history/production and popular culture in general. The words Star Wars no longer even mean "star" (fiery ball in space) and "wars" (multiple skirmishes)...they mean the embodiment of everything tied to this phenomenon, they probably can't even be thought without the particular font attached to them!

There are probably very few other examples of this type of phenomenon. I will offer a few possibilities: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Blue Velvet, Lumiere Brothers films even. I mean what would be the point of redoing some of the seminal works of early cinema? The point is that they changed culture from that moment on? To redo something adds nothing, which is probably why in other ways the SE did nothing for most of us! I'm sure there are other examples, maybe even better ones, but these films are works so intimately tied to the moment of their creation and to their cultural milieu and the auteur theory that I can't even imagine someone claiming to try to remake them with any serious notion that they could be better. Other examples, Star Trek, BG, I mean these had their merits but they weren't near perfect works! Especially BG, I mean my god was it cheeseball! It's cute in a nostalgic kinda way, but it's not good TV even!

My fear though is that Star Wars could be redone with some amount of support-based success because the fan base is so rabid! We'd go see it just to say we hate it, kids would go see it because they're kids and the product spin-off would probably sell well too! Unfortunately, in the long run, I think it would hurt the importance of the OT in the history of cinema and culture in general. It would undermine it's "holiness" I think.

Reaction score
Fear is the path to the darkside Sinkie

I think the OT's importance to cinema and its presence as an artistic masterwork is easily strong enough in itself to avoid being harmed somehow by reinterpretation. In fact, I'd argue that a well-made reinterpretation would help the story stay relevant, and could ignite another wave of fresh new life to keep the flame going for decades more. Also, such a remake couldn't help but keep a focus on the originals, simply because it would be just that: a remake of a classic work. There would be those content to accept the newer version, and there'd be those would be curious enough to inspect the originals and judge for themselves of how the two would compare and perhaps be inspired all the more.

So, that being said, I'd love to see a the entire OT remade in the same format as the current cg Clone Wars series. So much more can be smoothed out, more diversity added, and simply because animated OT toys would be sweeter than sweet!!

Reaction score
Cmdr_Gree said:
Fear is the path to the darkside Sinkie

I think the OT's importance to cinema and its presence as an artistic masterwork is easily strong enough in itself to avoid being harmed somehow by reinterpretation. In fact, I'd argue that a well-made reinterpretation would help the story stay relevant, and could ignite another wave of fresh new life to keep the flame going for decades more. Also, such a remake couldn't help but keep a focus on the originals, simply because it would be just that: a remake of a classic work. There would be those content to accept the newer version, and there'd be those would be curious enough to inspect the originals and judge for themselves of how the two would compare and perhaps be inspired all the more.

So, that being said, I'd love to see a the entire OT remade in the same format as the current cg Clone Wars series. So much more can be smoothed out, more diversity added, and simply because animated OT toys would be sweeter than sweet!!
Yeah, I mean I do think it would enjoy success I just think it would continue to dilute what the OT was. I know we, and others, don't see eye to eye on that but for me the OT was an experience rooted in time and in the tools and techniques available at the time. So yes, those going back might rediscover some of that, just like today we can go back and look at old films and try to imagine the context etc. So I don't, I guess think it would kill interest, just take away from the importance of the OT itself. Can't prove that, just a gut feeling. And yeah, I am certain I'd be a sinner and be amongst the curious who goes and pays to see them...sigh. But I think I could easily avoid the toys as I am doing now with the CW and slowly, but surely, even with the PT based stuff! And it feels good!

Reaction score
Please George, no further tinkering with the OT - including re-makes.

However, episodes 7-9 with the original actors would be nice

Reaction score
In reference to the discussion between Sinkie and Gree-
Do you think that the overwhelming success of the Star Trek reboot changes any of your thoughts on the topic? True, ST was suffering from a lull in interest, and true, the way they justified the reboot while still staying within ST continuity by using divergent timelines (something that SW really doesn't have room for) was genius- but they also were smart in their choice of a director. Perhaps something similar could be accomplished with Star Wars?

Reaction score
82jp said:
In reference to the discussion between Sinkie and Gree-
Do you think that the overwhelming success of the Star Trek reboot changes any of your thoughts on the topic? True, ST was suffering from a lull in interest, and true, the way they justified the reboot while still staying within ST continuity by using divergent timelines (something that SW really doesn't have room for) was genius- but they also were smart in their choice of a director. Perhaps something similar could be accomplished with Star Wars?
Yes...and no. I think that yes the right director/writer (team or individual), along with a larger team that clicked and gave us something very smart and in keeping with the spirit of the OT (as elusive as that may sound, but what else qualifies someone as a genius if not the ability to capture something elusive and beyond a perfect description in words or formula?) could work to a greater extent. Though I think if they just told the same story, again, something like the Gus Van Sant experiment with Psycho a few years ago, it might just feel cheap. At least with Star Trek they did attempt to give us an in-story reason as you point out as to why we were getting a reboot.

I still think though that the SW phenomenon, rooted in that moment and in its particular cultural context has something to do with its mystique and power. Star Trek, the classic series, is the same in some respects but perhaps because it was a little bit more low tech and ground breaking more for its content and choice of genre, rather than mind-boggling effects that gave us something more than a model ship on a string, it feels less enshrined "as is". Also, it was a TV series so I think, though I may be wrong, that the small screen allows for more interpretation and tinkering from the get-go. I mean, even in its original form it was episodic, multi-writer, multi-director, evolving over many episodes. But yeah, I really do like the new Star Trek. I wonder how hardcore Trekkies feel about this topic? How they see, perhaps, the difference in the two universes/franchises. I'll give it more thought as I continue the yard work. But very a very good question based on a very "similar enough" work!

Reaction score
Rudyard said:
Please George, no further tinkering with the OT - including re-makes.

However, episodes 7-9 with the original actors would be nice
I don't think that this would be affordable, practical or desirable. I'm really hoping that they decide to take this (including the live action series) to another level and aim it at the adults rather than trying to gain a new audience and aim it at children. We've grown up with and supported the trilogy for 30 years. We've grown up, can't SW too?

That said, i think that they should definately leave it for a few years once the two currently planned series have run their course.

Reaction score
Yeah I would like to see Star Wars redone, ok let me clarify that - I would like to see the Prequel Star Wars redone, and more in line with the Clone Wars Animated Series, if this means making them as Animated Movies I have no problem with that. Or make them as live movies and get rid of the crap they created for the Prequel Movies.

As for altering OT: Star Wars, well that would be a very big HELL NO, they have already screwed with it enough, although I wouldnt mind seeing the same story done in the Animated Styling of the New Clone Wars, then they could do 7-9 as they wouldnt need the actors from the originals just their voices or impressions of their voices.

Reaction score
It would be an interesting and easier to swallow experiment for me if they actually just animated to the exact original OT audio tracks! It would be fun to see the exact same film, word for word, shot for shot, but animated.

If not shot for shot, something very close anyway.

Reaction score
If they re-did Star Wars, I would NEVER forgive George Lucas. I can live with Jar Jar, the Ewoks, and the horrible Anakin/Padme dialogue from Episode 2, but re-making it would completely "unbalance the Force".