Reflections of Christian Waggoner

Reaction score
One of the highlights of the Celebration was visiting with one of my favorite artists, Christian Waggoner. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, I am linking his masterpieces below......
ACME was due to host a panel with Christian doing a live painting on Friday morning but it was unfortunately cancelled. HOWEVER, ACME lined up the next best thing - he was painting his latest piece live on the floor next to the ACME exhbibit.

Over the course of the con, you could watch Jango Fett w/ Mace in the reflection come to life before your eyes! As Morly stated in anther thread, the final image has not been seen yet.

Christian and I discussed the future and I was thrilled at what he had to say.....I'll give you characters, but you can all guess at the "reflections".

Following the Jango will be another PT piece. Then C3PO will be featured in the Visions book and hopefully as a print via ACME. R2D2 is coming (I was able to see the reference shot/angle from Christian's digital camera!). Final piece discussed is a Biker Scout! Which is one I have been hoping for, for a long, long time.

Super friendly guy and I hope he takes me up on my invite to join Rebelscum and join the great art community we have here.

NOTE - First Vader, Stormtrooper, and Boba Fett are all SOLD OUT in the small canvas versions. I own the Fett and Stormtrooper, and they are phenomenal.

An Atlanta native, Christian Waggoner brings a fresh new look to the world of Star Wars fine art. His uniquely enhanced photo-realistic style makes viewer wonder how he achieves such skillful detail with a mere brush and canvas. He has gained prestige and success through more than a decade of high-profile commissions including impressive paintings of athletes for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta as well as this and future exciting new releases for the Star Wars fine art program.

Reaction score
selling a few prints soo i can get the fett and vader w/ obi wan prints... If i dont sell what i got, im just gonna buy a copy of each outright they look jaw dropping !!! Maybe he can do a Tie fighter Pilot with the back of Lukes xwing or hans millenium flacon reflecting in his eyes.

Reaction score
Unless you are aiming for the mega size, Fett and 1st Vader are sold out. But maybe you are referring to the paper versions? Gotta go Canvas, that's my motto.

Reaction score
yeah looking paper, spent too much at CV but I still appreciate these pieces that he has done, I wish I had just gotten them sooner.

Reaction score
ddoughboy1978 said:
yeah looking paper, spent too much at CV but I still appreciate these pieces that he has done, I wish I had just gotten them sooner.
Isn't the paper Boba REALLY small (12X12)? Beek, IIRC you had that and sold it right?

Reaction score
BenObi_70 said:
ddoughboy1978 said:

Isn't the paper Boba REALLY small (12X12)? Beek, IIRC you had that and sold it right?

That's correct. Paper size did not cut it for me...the next size up in canvas is perfection imo.

Reaction score
Been quiet on this front. Hope we see some new reveals from Christian before the end of the year......

I need to pick up a Vader during the next big ACME sale.

Reaction score
I swear he had a picture of Jango Fett with Mace Windu in the visor eyes but I can't find it.

Was I dreaming?

Reaction score
SpecialOpsUnit said:
I swear he had a picture of Jango Fett with Mace Windu in the visor eyes but I can't find it.

Was I dreaming?
We are awaiting the final reveal....of that piece.

Reaction score
I saw this at CV while he was still working on it. I like it, but would have preferred a different angle of this same scene. Same reflection in Jango's helmet, but with POV looking down the barrel of Jango's blaster instead. Still a buy for me.

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
SpecialOpsUnit said:

Was I dreaming?
We are awaiting the final reveal....of that piece.
I MIGHT have already seen the final image of this piece...

Soon!

-Morly

Reaction score
This Waggoner C3PO debuted in the new VISIONS book ....

Morly - PLEASE tell me this will be put up in the ACME store???? He mentioned doing an R2 piece soon in Orlando. Can't have one, without the other.

Reaction score
Sadly the 3PO piece diverges from the others in the series. It just has random images instead of an iconic scene. I would've liked to see Leia giving R2 the message inside the Tantive or the Sandcrawler but to have random images just makes you wonder why the artist would do this?

Reaction score
epsilonjedi said:
Sadly the 3PO piece diverges from the others in the series. It just has random images instead of an iconic scene. I would've liked to see Leia giving R2 the message inside the Tantive or the Sandcrawler but to have random images just makes you wonder why the artist would do this?
as much as I like the guy's art, I have to agree. I've always liked the 1:1 approach. Although GL has always said that SW is told from the droid's perspective, this is just not what I expected.

Reaction score
Yes, it is different from the others. When I saw Jabba, I thought it was from the Jabba's Palace scenes, but having the others in there kind of messes it up IMHO. But then again I don't like montages in general.

Reaction score
Agreed. This is my favorite series, and I don't like the departure from the original concept. Way too many montages. There's no new ground to cover with montages since all the major characters have been done to death.

Reaction score
Guys, we don't even know if this will be available to purchase....just his contribution to the book.

Can't wait to see his Biker Scout piece.

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll see something similar. I love the C-3PO but would prefer he choose one iconic scene represented in the reflection rather than several.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Yeah, I think Christian took a little more liberty with this one since it was done specifically FOR the book. I have to admit, I was a little unsure of it when we first got it in here at the studio, but it really grew on me, so give it some time!

And for those of you interested in a print of it...well, I think the odds are pretty good that you'll have that chance.

-Morly

Reaction score
Morly said:
And for those of you interested in a print of it...well, I think the odds are pretty good that you'll have that chance.

-Morly
Good news man. Timeline?? When R2 becomes available.....?

Any new Silvers on the horizon?

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:

-Morly

I'd guess in the front half of next year for Christian's Visions piece. No exact date yet.

Silvers is indeed working on a piece right now. Hopefully, it will be done before the end of the year or even next month!

-Morly

Reaction score
Morly said:
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:

-Morly

I'd guess in the front half of next year for Christian's Visions piece. No exact date yet.

Silvers is indeed working on a piece right now. Hopefully, it will be done before the end of the year or even next month!

-Morly
Thanks.

On Silvers, hint? Vehicle or character? Owning both the Slave 1 and Tydirrium shuttle....quite curious.

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:

-Morly

-Morly
Thanks.

On Silvers, hint? Vehicle or character? Owning both the Slave 1 and Tydirrium shuttle....quite curious.
Let's just say that I think you'll be pleased...

-Morly

Reaction score
Morly said:
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:
DarthBeek said:
Morly said:

-Morly

-Morly
Thanks.

Let's just say that I think you'll be pleased...

-Morly

Reaction score
Great to see this.....especially after watching it come to life in Orlando.

However, I am only an OT collector, so I await his next Classic release.

Reaction score
I like the Jango, and love most of Christian Waggoner's work in the OT prints, but something about this screams Emmanuel Lewis to me. Not sure why. It could be that Bad Mother F'er had such a strange look on his face in these movies when he got mad. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Boba86Solo said:
I like the Jango, and love most of Christian Waggoner's work in the OT prints, but something about this screams Emmanuel Lewis to me. Not sure why. It could be that Bad Mother F'er had such a strange look on his face in these movies when he got mad. Any thoughts?
Looks pretty spot on to me....going by this shot on the upcoming "Vintage" inspired Hasbro cardback.

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
Boba86Solo said:
Looks pretty spot on to me....going by this shot on the upcoming "Vintage" inspired Hasbro cardback.

You have to sort of excuse it because reflections tend to be "warped" a bit anyway. So while its a bit off (it is), it works because it is a reflection.

Reaction score
Just a nitpick on an otherwise beautiful work of art, but I would think Jango's blaster would be aimed forward with Mace attacking him, not up near his ear.

Reaction score
[image]REMOVED AT DARTHBEEKS REQUEST[/image]

I'm not really knocking a really nice piece. It was just my thought that Mace looks a little like this little guy.

Reaction score
Seriously? Does a picture really need to be shown.....trying to keep a little class in this thread.

Reaction score
Dont know what it is but something about Mace kinda bugs me and the reflection of Jango's antenna is not done right. The light sources don't match up and it should be more blurred. This is the best example I could find.

I like Waggoner's work but the last few have not been that great.

Reaction score
I didn't like the piece at CV and I don't like the finished work either. The helmet's shape is definitely off, and Mace's reflection isn't doing it for me, either. Certainly not up to the standard set by his previous pieces.