Reflection on 2020 and Collecting Goals for 2021

Reaction score
It is once again time for our annual tradition of looking back and reflecting on your 2020 collecting goals, and time to set new goals for 2021. If you can't remember your goals for 2020, you can find them here:
(123) Reflection on 2019 and Collecting goals for 2020 | Rebelscum.com Forums

Feel free to cut and paste your 2020 goals, or just make new ones if you didn't post any last year.

MTFBWY!

Last edited:
Reaction score
My goals.

Get rid of almost all my old toys and accept that it's not my childhood, it's just stuff, and I'll have to get rid of it someday no matter what. Rejoice in the fact that I have small children, and their Star Wars toys are now the star of the show.

Use the money to make a killer Micro Collection exhibit in my newly finished basement, with 4-Ups, squeezings, unreleased items, and probably some 2D prints ordered from Kim Simmons.

Reaction score
My goals:
Get new display cabinets and get my loose set out of a storage bin. They have been in there way to long, going on 4 years since I moved houses.

Also as I'm setting up the loose set, double check to make sure no repros have slipped by.

Aquire a real vinyl cape Jawa.

Upgrade my Blue Snaggletooth to a nice one with nice boots.

Continue on with trying to get the last 17 Carded.

Reaction score
Try to fill in the last missing coins I need for my POTF coin collection.

Unfortunately, every coin from here on out is $500+.

Would also like to get an AFA 85 graded Trilogo Boba Fett. It’s the last figure I want for my loose collection.

Reaction score
My main goal when it comes to my Kenner collection for 2020, was to secure an Imperial Dignitary in good condition, which I did this year. I also expanded my loose assortment significantly - not only figures, but creatures, mini rigs, and even some playset pieces. This is easily the best year for my Kenner collection since the 80s, when I was a little kid - because as I mentioned in another thread, a relative gifted me a number of vintage figures from a recently found childhood collection.

I've been busy cleaning, restoring, and repairing a number of Kenner items, and that is one of my main goals for 2021, to continue that progress and try to get my collection closer to complete. I'll be tracking down parts & accessories alongside more loose figures. I expect it'll be reduced compared to this year, because I likely added close to two dozen Kenner items in 2020.

I also plan to reorganize my current figure storage, because as of this year, I officially ran out of room for more acquisitions, based on the current method I use. I am also purging pieces of my collection that are duplicates, or item I no longer have an attachment to. Between the weather and isolation, its now a prime time to begin that project.

Reaction score
I just started seriously collecting complete vintage figures again this past year, a few months ago (luckily I kept about 20 figs that I collected from like 20 years ago, including the first 12, Blue Snaggletooth, and a couple last 17). So my goal for 2021 is to finish getting all the vintage figs from 78-85. I have about 50 now so half way there. Still need 14 of last 17 though!
My second goal is to finish the 12” vintage figure line. I have 7, so still need 5, including IG-88. Gonna be a fun year!

Reaction score
This year for me is all about displaying my collection. I've never done this before. Everything has always been in storage. Don't know what I'll add to the collection as of now. I'm kind of more into the Retro reissues so hopeful the ROTJ line will be released. Other than that I may pick up an original loose figure here and there. After 24 years of collecting I have yet to acquire Bespin guards and a handful of Ewoks, mainly the POTF ones, so I might go down that route.

Reaction score
Goals for 2020:
-get some much needed acrylic cases
-get 1-2 MISB items graded before the tape dries up
-finish my TK armor and join the 501st
-take a year off of buying, selling, and trading to just enjoy my collection.
2020 was a surprisingly good year for me.
I drastically downsized my production and preproduction collection, in order to pick up a few very special items (a micro 4-up, blue harvest hard copy, Jawa coin etching plates, and a photo art piece). Goal wise, 2020 was an epic fail. I was too busy downsizing.

Goals for 2020:
-get some acrylic cases and get a couple of 2d items framed
-finish my TK armor and join the 501st
-finish my collecting room (need to put up two mini shelves)
-take time to enjoy my collection

Reaction score
One of the best annual traditions for those who frequent the forums, even though I am more of a browser these days.

Goals for 2020:

1. Have fun and grow my inner self. Check and check.
2. Finally land some Keshi Jawas I am missing. Finally landed a blue one, giving me a total of four.
3. Sale more of my modern prototypes. Parted with a few of them, but my Jawa Two-Pack run is still intact.
4. Be more outgoing and love the hobby more. Check and check.
5. Continue to investigate and collect other toy lines. Ventured into the land of Bootlegs and love them. They are diverse and freaking awesome.
6. Take a much needed break from Celebration. Check
7. Attend more Con's. Attended Zulu-Con in February of this year.
8. Have fun with collecting again. Check

Goals for 2021:

1. Collect more Bootlegs.
2. Have fun or sell everything.
3. Land more Keshi Jawas.
4. Similar to last year, part with more of my modern prototypes.
5. Venture into a Con if possible.
6. See more of my collecting friends.
7. Expand my Jawa Two-Pack run.

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this tradition alive Randy

Goals for 2020
1. Pare down my collection to fund more rare posters
2. Spend more time with fellow collectors at meet ups and collection group events.
I did add a few uncommon posters to the collection but nothing I would consider "rare" in 2020. But I'm patient and the things left are super expensive so I'm not in a rush to go out and pay top dollar. I have sold a few things to help fund new purchases including an awesome first issue X-wing NRFB with the LP logo on only one side.

One would think that COVID would have hurt goal #2 and it certainly changed the word but I have still been able to be social "from a certain point of view". I haven't been out much but I did go out to a few "socially distant" outdoor collecting get togethers. It was good seeing you as always @Jason_West . I have liked that a lot of social events have moved virtual. I can't travel much due to my work and home life so I really enjoyed attending virtual events. Most recently was the Rancho Obiwan Gala but there have been almost weekly Zoom meet ups of various collecting sub genres that I enjoy.

I've also found with conventions being put off, there have been more celebrity signings and send ins and I've taken advantage of that and gotten a few more autographs.

So my Goals for 2021 haven't really changed much:
1. Sell things to pay for rare posters (and autographs)
2. continue to be social both in person and virtually

Reaction score
I didn't really set goals last year with the exception of finding some missing parts and buying cases.

I did find a few of my missing parts. I think I'm missing 2 legs for my skiff and that's about it.

Completed my early bird set. And ended up with an almost complete set of micros. Only missing the Tie fighter and a couple of parts for my Falcon. Ramp and dish.
I also started and completed a 1982 Indiana Jones collection. Wasnt too hard because there's only 9 figures , 4 playsets and a horse. Got back into first 3 years of 80s Joe's so there's only a few I'm after. Full set of straight arms plus a few others I liked here and there. I'm not going for complete sets with Joe's. 82 plus a few peppered in till 1985.

I didn't buy any cases at all. Funny, the one thing I was set out to buy, was the only thing I didn't.

Besides a couple of missing pieces for micro, and the illusive red bar R5, I'm calling it.

This year I'm focused on building my home office and growing my business.

Hopefully I can finish up the office and begin to display everything

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am trying to complete my last 17 hence completing the set I promised myself as a kid I would one day have. Almost there, 4 more to go. So 2021 will be a direct focus on that. Then an Imperial Shuttle and a Slave 1 to knock out the vehicles. (Not counting A wing or Skiff because i never played with either as a kid) the new stuff has become distracting too. I kept away until that damned Han Stormtrooper made its way to Target. Hope you all are fortunate in your quests. My big accomplishments for the year include finding a non poop nosed dignitary, and a complete Imperial Gunner. Those seem like small goals when I see what some of you have acquired, but isn't it also about the small things?😉

Reaction score
2020 Goals: Accomplished all of them !
1. ✅Aquire: brown snake and dark green skinned Yoda
2. ✅Trade my afa figures for loose mint versions
3. ✅Find a beater AT-AT with nice legs to replace my yellowed AT-AT legs
4. ✅Get a set of mini cardbacks and yellow cardholder stands to display next to my figures.
5. ✅Add vehicles to move towards completing my collection- added imperial shuttle with box, Endor catapult with box, Ewok glider with box, at-st with box, loose landspeeder, loose millennium Falcon, loose cloud car, loose rebel transport

2021 Goals
1. Display my collection in our new home
2. Add vehicles (boxes are a great bonus) to move towards completing my collection
Need...
Vintage needs

Figures:
  • Tusken Raider (hollow tubes)
Beasts:
  • Open belly tauntaun
  • Dianoga
Vehicles

• Slave I
  • Jawa Sandcrawler
  • Tie Fighter (white)
  • Tie Fighter (battle damaged)
  • Tie Interceptor
  • Darth Vader Tie Fighter
  • X-Wing (Battle Damaged)
  • B-Wing
  • A-Wing
Play sets
  • Creature Cantina
  • Death Star Space Station
  • Dagobah Action Playset
  • Turret and Probot
  • Imperial Attack Base
  • Ewok Village
3. Start a small online toy store through acquisitions, restoration and trading
4. Find boxes for my loose vehicles and monsters.
Boxes needed
  • Rancor
  • Tauntaun
  • Dewback
  • Wampa
  • Jabba The Hut
  • Speeder Bike
  • White X-Wing
  • Y-Wing
  • Rebel Armored Snowspeeder
  • Cloud Car
  • Landspeeder
5. get survival items... Luke training backpack, Luke grappling hook , backpacks ans gas masks for my rebel transport.
6. Get Kenner mini catalogs I’m missing most, I only have the empire one with Luke on the front.
7. Sell of my remaining 12 modern figures- they are on my trade page , come get em! Please!!!
8. Falcon radar dish

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am extremely happy with my Vintage Loose Display. Added a gorgeous Red Bar R5-D4 this year, as well as a Toe Dent Blue Snaggletooth. Several other variants joined the line-up too. I started to get into "custom" figures, but shifting away in 2021. Keeping it Kenner. I started putting together some scenes with playsets, ships, etc. but it was/is just getting to be too much (as well as way too many loose, mint extra figures which I am selling off soon). I love the fact the figure display is the central focus in my basement office, all nice and tidy in one beautiful cabinet (antique metal barrister - one compartment for SW, TESB, ROTJ, and POTF).

With that said, looking ahead to 2021, my main goals are to add a mint Tri Logo Boba Fett, and a mint molded face Jedi Luke!

Also hoping to add a one sheet original TESB to the wall.

Reaction score
I'm planning on transitioning away from Black Series -- which renewed my interest in Star Wars toys after I stopped collecting back in '98 -- and focusing more on building a modest, complete loose set of the vintage Kenner figures which are my true love. I picked up a few items over this past year but it will be more a focus in 2021.

Reaction score
2021 Goal:
Get some stands for my vintage figures and make a display for them as well.

Reaction score
Sweet. Well if I was on FS, I'd star a group "Most recent Vintage SW sales" . It would be part collecting , part what did you give up , part what did you use the money on.

Reaction score
I am seriously trying to avoid burnout. I'm collecting pre-pro/unreleased a little faster than is probably healthy.

Reaction score
Too bad you weren't collecting that back 2000 to 2010 , it would have been way less expensive... and more quantity of selection of pieces out there up for grabs (some years / months better then others).

Reaction score
Too bad you weren't collecting that back 2000 to 2010 , it would have been way less expensive... and more quantity of selection of pieces out there up for grabs (some years / months better then others).
Yeah. It's like the housing market. If you didn't get in before a certain point, you're locked out forever unless you are rich. Luckily I got a house though. So if I am to bemoan missing the boat on the statuette market, well, at least I didn't miss out on the shelter market.

Reaction score
Dont own any vintage anymore except proof cards, AFA Q graded items, and made in mexico MOCs. Everything else has been sold off. That said, am continuing to build my libary of short run SW books. Have added this year to that collection and will continue too in 2021.

Not sure if I am out of line here but I am contining to build my TVC collection and dabbling a bit in the Black Series line and plan to get more AFA graded items that I am backed up on.

Reaction score
That all seems reasonable! What short-run books do you want?

Reaction score
... sorry to burst your bubble but Proof cards are going down in value. They hit a high acme ... back 2017-2019 , but now on towards the downward spiral. Nothing goes up in value continuous forever. Like David and Goliath , the bigger they are.. the harder they fall

Dax

Reaction score
Can't say I really set any specific goals for 2020, and probably for the best really as the year really was a write off. Glad to see the back of it.

So, for 2021:

Complete the Gentle Giant mini-cardback collection (three cards to go)
Try and pick up at least one of the last 13 Toltoys cardbacks that I need.
Acquire the last two POTF cardbacks I need
Acquire the last three unpainted Micro Collection figures I need.
Work on improving some of my displays for particular items
Determine whether I should sell my production Micro Collection items as I don't think I'll ever have enough room to display them properly.

Reaction score
... sorry to burst your bubble but Proof cards are going down in value. They hit a high acme ... back 2017-2019 , but now on towards the downward spiral. Nothing goes up in value continuous forever. Like David and Goliath , the bigger they are.. the harder they fall
I saw the great crash of Marx production items. Rare variants went from “hundreds, IF you find one” to $20, in a very short time.

Reaction score
I'm mostly joking on the proof cards , however prices on most pieces do seem to be all over the place ..... no real consistency. I get it , its all about 1. Character , 2. what back is it , certain backs are harder to find then others , but character and backing go together to determine value. 3. Condition ( its pre-pro , so Condition really shoudln't be the top focus.)

Reaction score
Haven't posted my goals before. I have collected on/off over the years going back to mid-90s. I always have had a rather small SW collection, it has been one of my many hobbies/collections. I've come to the point where I am transitioning to a few choice vintage higher-end pieces, adding just a few items each year. I've had awesome luck here with buying/selling to/from members., hope to continue that going forward.

Goals for 2020
- Sold a lot of stuff, SW and non-SW - did well here
- Added a Yoda AFA 85 figure - YES!!
- Added a few loose figures I was missing

Goals for 2021
- Trade/sell all my non-vintage SW items
- Attend a toy show locally
- Educate myself, do more research on pricing
- Add a 12-back graded figure
- Chip away at the remaining weapons/capes for my first 12 loose figures, happy to add 1-2
- Work on displaying my collection better

Reaction score
I am pretty happy that I've decided to focus on a specific toy, and searching out pre-production items and variant parts for it. In addition to the year-long process of making money to spend on it, I need to figure out what kind of IKEA cabinet I want to use for displaying them.

I have found this year that having Micro Collection on my mantle (where I see them every day) instead of in a Rubbermaid tub has done more for my mental health than... anything in decades maybe? So many of my hobbies and obsessions grew from my childhood love of Micro Collection, just getting to interact with them daily has "eliminated the middle man" that was those hobbies.

Reaction score
Goal for 2021: Collect enough stuff I don't yet have to keep myself happy and engaged, all-the-while walking the tight-rope of not angering the wife. LOL. Looking into expanding more into vehicles/playsets maybe. Long term goal is a complete (or mostly complete) Death Star on the cheap.

Goal was about the same for 2020, though I didn't pick up too much stuff. Scored a carded Leia Poncho I'd been eyeing for years this year, also scored some other loose figures I've wanted (finished my loose bounty hunters this year). COVID has sort of prompted collecting and customizing as an escape from boredom, and let me set some goals to keep spirits up during this crappy situation. Glad for that.

Last edited:

Dax

Reaction score
Can't say I really set any specific goals for 2020, and probably for the best really as the year really was a write off. Glad to see the back of it.

So, for 2021:

Complete the Gentle Giant mini-cardback collection (three cards to go)
Try and pick up at least one of the last 13 10 Toltoys cardbacks that I need.
Acquire the last two POTF cardbacks I need
Acquire the last three unpainted Micro Collection figures I need.
Work on improving some of my displays for particular items
Determine whether I should sell my production Micro Collection items as I don't think I'll ever have enough room to display them properly.
Had to revise one of my goals as I managed to pick up three Toltoys cardbacks in the last few days of 2020. An unexpected, expensive, but pleasant surprise!

Reaction score
My goal 2021 is to start a fight against people who believe that Starwars characters like Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kaz should never be apart of the ongoing story.

Reaction score
I’ve been involved in such fights, and they usually don’t resolve anything for me! 😜.

Maybe one of my collector goals should just be to try to get along with the other collectors.

Reaction score
I’ve been involved in such fights, and they usually don’t resolve anything for me! 😜.

Maybe one of my collector goals should just be to try to get along with the other collectors.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.