Redesign the save the EU billboard

Reaction score
Anyone else would like to see it changed into a monument to the Expanded Universe? The EU is not coming back.:whistling:

Reaction score
The billboard is not really accurate, since 2014 is actually the second time that the "expanded universe" was wiped clean to make room for new stories. Originally there was the EU that existed from December 1976 through 1990 and that included the Brian Daley Han Solo novels, the original Marvel comics series, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, the Ewoks TV specials, and the West End Games RPG. However, all of that was slowly replaced in the 90s by the Thrawn-trilogy and the Decipher CCG.

So if those of us who grew up on Droids, Ewoks and the WEG role-playing game can learn to live with our "expanded universe" being erased, then those people who grew up on 1991-2014 EU can learn to do the same.

It's all fictional anyway, so who cares if a story holds the label of "official canon"?

Reaction score
The billboard is not really accurate, since 2014 is actually the second time that the "expanded universe" was wiped clean to make room for new stories. Originally there was the EU that existed from December 1976 through 1990 and that included the Brian Daley Han Solo novels, the original Marvel comics series, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, the Ewoks TV specials, and the West End Games RPG. However, all of that was slowly replaced in the 90s by the Thrawn-trilogy and the Decipher CCG.

So if those of us who grew up on Droids, Ewoks and the WEG role-playing game can learn to live with our "expanded universe" being erased, then those people who grew up on 1991-2014 EU can learn to do the same.

It's all fictional anyway, so who cares if a story holds the label of "official canon"?
How much would movie wonks enjoy some Uwe Boll added to the Godfather trilogy? Shared universe.

Reaction score
How much would movie wonks enjoy some Uwe Boll added to the Godfather trilogy? Shared universe.
I watched the first Godfather movie and didn't really care that much about it, so I never got around to seeing the other two. I'm sure it was a well-made movie and all, but I just had no interest in the subject matter. I guess I've never really understood the appeal of the whole mob-movie genre.

That being said, if Uwe Boll creates a completely separate movie that could be taken with the Godfather trilogy or ignored completely, then it's fine. However, if you are talking about Uwe Boll filming new scenes to be inserted into the original Godfather films, then that's actually a completely different topic that has nothing to do with the subject of Star Wars EU.

Reaction score
ugh Uwe Boll, man did you see the Seed films? how daffy was that sequel?
I watched the first Godfather movie and didn't really care that much about it, so I never got around to seeing the other two. I'm sure it was a well-made movie and all, but I just had no interest in the subject matter. I guess I've never really understood the appeal of the whole mob-movie genre.

That being said, if Uwe Boll creates a completely separate movie that could be taken with the Godfather trilogy or ignored completely, then it's fine. However, if you are talking about Uwe Boll filming new scenes to be inserted into the original Godfather films, then that's actually a completely different topic that has nothing to do with the subject of Star Wars EU.

Reaction score
well I'm sure he has his fans... but as a horror fan, his horror was well-odd. that Seed sequel-It reminded me of the Silent night, deadly night sequel which it was 40 m of the first film LOL.

Reaction score
When you compare the EU continuities of Star Wars and Star Trek for example, Lucasfilm made a more concerted effect to maintain the integrity of the EU than Star Trek before the ownership transition. Star Trek EU continuity became a trainwreck gradually over the years, pretty much nothing from Paramount to regulate countless stories despite the works of several staple and respectable authors working on Star Trek novels (and now fan films/videos) who have established their own personal continuities. Paramount doesn't even acknowledge The Animated Series as canon.

The thing with Star Trek is obviously you can create plot devices like time travel, alternate realities and the like to erase/rewrite continuity while simultaneously making an effort to please the purist ST community, the 2009 film being a huge example. Naturally, Star Wars doesn't have to rely on those plot devices to get it storytelling across, so basically, any reconciliation of potential SW continuity discrepancies becomes a tad more challenging now since it would inconceivable even those among the purist SW community to think there are even SW 'alternate realities' out there w/o some kind of plot device. OTOH, when you look at the continuity shown in a movie like Mad Max Fury Road, the events of the previous films can be considered being told from the personal perspectives of those (e.g. Feral Kid, Savannah) who have met someone who is viewed as a legendary figure as some have asserted.

To quote Klingon Chancellor Gowron, "History is written by the victors." In this case, Disney is victorious in its power to rewrite/replace continuity. Our only expectation from a strong fan community is holding them accountable on storytelling integrity (compared to continuity) that preserves George's original storytelling vision.

Reaction score
Honestly, I think people put too much stock into "official canon" and spend too much time worrying about something that never really mattered to begin with. I never really had much connection to the 1991-2012 EU, since those never really felt like "my Star Wars." In fact, I was probably openly hostile to most of the pre-Disney EU for the majority of the 90s and 2000s. So when Disney tossed it all out, I was actually kind of glad.

Having a story you love ejected from the official canon shouldn't really affect your enjoyment of it. I know it hasn't changed my feelings about the Droids and Ewoks cartoons at all.

As for "George Lucas' original storytelling vision", I'm not sure if even George Lucas knew what that was anymore by the time he got into making the Prequels. If anything, Disney has shown a lot more respect for the Original Trilogy so far than Lucas ever did.

Reaction score
When you compare the EU continuities of Star Wars and Star Trek for example, Lucasfilm made a more concerted effect to maintain the integrity of the EU than Star Trek before the ownership transition. Star Trek EU continuity became a trainwreck gradually over the years, pretty much nothing from Paramount to regulate countless stories despite the works of several staple and respectable authors working on Star Trek novels (and now fan films/videos) who have established their own personal continuities. Paramount doesn't even acknowledge The Animated Series as canon.

The thing with Star Trek is obviously you can create plot devices like time travel, alternate realities and the like to erase/rewrite continuity while simultaneously making an effort to please the purist ST community, the 2009 film being a huge example. Naturally, Star Wars doesn't have to rely on those plot devices to get it storytelling across, so basically, any reconciliation of potential SW continuity discrepancies becomes a tad more challenging now since it would inconceivable even those among the purist SW community to think there are even SW 'alternate realities' out there w/o some kind of plot device. OTOH, when you look at the continuity shown in a movie like Mad Max Fury Road, the events of the previous films can be considered being told from the personal perspectives of those (e.g. Feral Kid, Savannah) who have met someone who is viewed as a legendary figure as some have asserted.

To quote Klingon Chancellor Gowron, "History is written by the victors." In this case, Disney is victorious in its power to rewrite/replace continuity. Our only expectation from a strong fan community is holding them accountable on storytelling integrity (compared to continuity) that preserves George's original storytelling vision.
The old EU had consistency issues from the get go with Dark Empire and the Zahn trilogy conflicting with each other. Early on I felt like the old EU had zero communication between authors and that caused a lack of cohesion. Disney is at least putting an effort into making sure everything ties together cohesively and don't have as much of a fan fiction feel like the 90s EU had to me ie stripes on Han's pants having a backstory.

Reaction score
Yeah, the inconsistencies in the movies were bad enough. So who wanted to add to it with stories that had no connection to them. lol

Reaction score
Disney is at least putting an effort into making sure everything ties together cohesively and don't have as much of a fan fiction feel like the 90s EU had to me ie stripes on Han's pants having a backstory.
That is pretty much Pablo Hidalgo's job now when he transitioned from WEG (West End Games) to Disney. Before that, a good chunk of EU material was found under WEG, who BTW, Pablo had a notable part in. But it's important to note that the WEG material wasn't post-Jedi, whereas Zahn and Dark Horse were going into unknown territory. Regardless, there had to been some type of approval process involved, but not necessary checks and balances into continuity flow for the latter.

Reaction score
Regardless, there had to been some type of approval process involved, but not necessary checks and balances into continuity flow for the latter.
Yeah, a lot of people refer to the "Lucas-approved" EU as if George Lucas himself had personally read every novel and was in direct communication with the authors about the story. While I'm sure he read a few of them, especially early on when the 1990s EU was just getting started, I kind of doubt that he read more than a handful of the books post-1995 when he would have been too busy working on the Special Editions and Prequels (I do remember Lucas saying that he had read Shadows of the Empire and enjoyed it).

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people refer to the "Lucas-approved" EU as if George Lucas himself had personally read every novel and was in direct communication with the authors about the story. While I'm sure he read a few of them, especially early on when the 1990s EU was just getting started, I kind of doubt that he read more than a handful of the books post-1995 when he would have been too busy working on the Special Editions and Prequels (I do remember Lucas saying that he had read Shadows of the Empire and enjoyed it).
Remember that Kyp Durron guy that was here a few months ago? He thought all "Lucas-approved" EU was Lucas' vision period, and all this Disney stuff was "big budget fan fiction." It amazes me what people will put themselves through for their own mindsets.

Meanwhile, I will say I sort of miss the old EU, but it isn't gone. I don't know if Disney will ever republish Dark Horse's Star Wars runs like DH used to do with the Marvel Compilations, but I imagine they'll keep books and whatnot in circulation under the Legends banner, so it isn't like these stories are gone. They exist in a separate canon but they weren't wiped from history, and I have no doubt Disney will keep borrowing and bringing back fan favorite material like they did with Thrawn. Now, Mara Jade will likely never be Luke's wife, but that doesn't mean she can't exist again. Disney will keep churning this out until it stops making money, which I imagine it never will (but I bet we stop the yearly films sooner than later to prevent oversaturation.), but I'm free to like whatever and I if whatever is currently coming doesn't suit my tastes, I can fall back on the parts of the old EU I've never taken a look at.

Reaction score
I enjoyed a fair amount of the early old EU and it had it's bright spots as well as eye rolling parts. I agree that several things will be brought back into canon in a way that fits the official canon. IMO the best part of the change is that the official canon doesn't have tiers of "its canon unless..." overcomplicating things.

Reaction score
Remember that Kyp Durron guy that was here a few months ago? He thought all "Lucas-approved" EU was Lucas' vision period, and all this Disney stuff was "big budget fan fiction." It amazes me what people will put themselves through for their own mindsets.
Stop trolling him! ;)

Reaction score
I enjoyed a fair amount of the early old EU and it had it's bright spots as well as eye rolling parts. I agree that several things will be brought back into canon in a way that fits the official canon. IMO the best part of the change is that the official canon doesn't have tiers of "its canon unless..." overcomplicating things.
If Disney stock starts dropping they might drop comics and books...