Recently Watched Movies

Mildoo

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Rise of Skywalker

It's fine as just another Star Wars movie, but as the finale to the Skywalker Saga, it's a disappointment. A lot of stuff I like, but then there is a thick layer of maclunkey fan service that turns this outing into a mixed bag for me.Thankfully, in 10 years there will likely be a new Skywalker Saga film, and this will be just another Star Wars movie.

And that kiss will always be a colossal mistake.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Popeye. A brilliant movie that was a flop when released. Better than 99% of the disney live action versions of their classics.

Neal

Emperor
Reaction score
My family and I watched The Rise of Skywalker last night. Regardless of one's opinion of the movie, the 4K transfer sure is pretty.

Masterfett

Emperor
Reaction score
Jumanji the next level and Lion King 2019. Both pretty good, though as good as the original.

DarthPete

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
300: Rise of an Empire
The 300 Spartans

BMX Bandits
I really tried with BMX Bandits, I couldn't get through it. I don't know what I was expecting but that wasn't it.
I think I expected it to be more like Over the Top, but with bike tricks.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
I really tried with BMX Bandits, I couldn't get through it. I don't know what I was expecting but that wasn't it.
Unless you grew up in the late 70's early 80's and saw that movie daily on cable, there is nothing to see. BUT based on pure nostalgia it's in my collection. On a double disc with an Evel Knievel biopic.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
My family and I watched The Rise of Skywalker last night. Regardless of one's opinion of the movie, the 4K transfer sure is pretty.
i hate to nitpick but it looks grainy at parts. I hear it's an upscaled 2k transfer? I got lazy and redeemed the digital and watched that. Maybe the disc looks better?

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Black Panther looked outstanding in 4k, as did Frozen 2, and Disney plus stram of Star Wars. all watched within the last week...

Nibcrom

Rear Admiral
Reaction score
It was not as good as I was hoping. My kids liked it. They needed a few more set pieces or a few more scenes. The chase sequences went on too long. The robbers being bumbling was too much. Needed subtext.

If it was more like Over the Top but with BMX bikes, it would have been amazing.

Still, it was hilarious to see Nicole Kidman's stunt double, who was a full-grown man, possibly with a mustache. And the film barely even tried to disguise this fact.

Nerfherder

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Hidden Fortress this morning on TCM. I've been wanting to watch that for many years. It's one of the main influences for Star Wars, and it's basically the story of Star Wars without Han and Luke.

Neal

Emperor
Reaction score
i hate to nitpick but it looks grainy at parts. I hear it's an upscaled 2k transfer? I got lazy and redeemed the digital and watched that. Maybe the disc looks better?
Yeah, I'm aware that Disney (unfortunately) upscales almost all of their 4K releases, and that there are better, true 4K examples out there. It still doesn't mean that TROS doesn't look great. :)
And on almost every transfer, the disc ALWAYS looks better than the streamed version. Always.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware that Disney (unfortunately) upscales almost all of their 4K releases, and that there are better, true 4K examples out there. It still doesn't mean that TROS doesn't look great. :)
And on almost every transfer, the disc ALWAYS looks better than the streamed version. Always.
I am actually a stickler at the moment because I just set up a new TV. I did compare the VUDU stream to the actual disc, and they are identical. I did find out that Black panther was shot in native 4k. That made the difference. I have to admit the more I watch Rise of Skywalker, the more goodness i see tucked away in the flaws. But that being said, some of it is overly explained. Guilty of watching it two nights in a row so the transfer must be good enough😊

DarthPete

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Birds of Prey- If you have the choice between watching this or going on a cross country trip... I'd suggest buying a mask.

Masterfett

Emperor
Reaction score
Ok, but what if the alternative was waterboarding, would you still suggest not watching?

DarthPete

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Prince of Egypt- It was good. I had no idea it had such a headliner cast for voice talent.

Cobalt60

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
good news: TROS was shot on film with a 4k DI.

I am actually a stickler at the moment because I just set up a new TV. I did compare the VUDU stream to the actual disc, and they are identical. I did find out that Black panther was shot in native 4k. That made the difference. I have to admit the more I watch Rise of Skywalker, the more goodness i see tucked away in the flaws. But that being said, some of it is overly explained. Guilty of watching it two nights in a row so the transfer must be good enough😊
more good news: while digital streaming has identical resolution...
the actual disc has a far greater datarate, providing a far richer color palette, (and a better picture overall).
(for example: Disney+ streams at 15-25 Mbps; this version has an average datarate of 60Mbps).

"The Rise of Skywalker was shot mostly on 35 mm photochemical film using Arriflex 435 ES and Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 cameras with Panavision anamorphic lenses (with a bit of 65 mm photography using the Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio camera as well). It was finished as a native 4K Digital Intermediate at the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and graded for high dynamic range for its Ultra HD release (in HDR10). The disc’s image quality is outstanding. Overall detail is impressive, with well-refined textures, and a lovely light-moderate wash of photochemical grain. The anamorphic glass adds its trademark clarity to the center of the image while the edges fall off just a tad. Shadows are truly deep, yet retain very nice detail on their own. The HDR grade expands the contrast while allowing the highlights to really pop—the brightest parts of the image are just eye-reactive (per the disc’s metadata, peak brightness is 1000 nits with a deep floor). And the color palette! Hues are vibrant and nuanced, with an added luster that’s visible right from the start—just take a look at the crystal panels of Ren’s Sith “wayfinder” and the many different environments as the Falcon lightspeed-skips. What’s more, with an average datarate of 60 Mbps, the quality here is markedly better than the currently available digital 4K streams (and I speak from experience, having just watch the Vudu presentation). It’s just so much more dimensonal and luminous, there’s almost no comparison. This is a gorgeous 4K image—I’ll personally never watch this film any other way."

cheers!

Last edited:

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
good news: TROS was shot on film with a 4k DI.

more good news: while digital streaming has identical resolution...
the actual disc has a far greater datarate, providing a far richer color palette, (and a better picture overall).
(for example: Disney+ streams at 15-25 Mbps; this version has an average datarate of 60Mbps).

"The Rise of Skywalker was shot mostly on 35 mm photochemical film using Arriflex 435 ES and Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 cameras with Panavision anamorphic lenses (with a bit of 65 mm photography using the Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio camera as well). It was finished as a native 4K Digital Intermediate at the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and graded for high dynamic range for its Ultra HD release (in HDR10). The disc’s image quality is outstanding. Overall detail is impressive, with well-refined textures, and a lovely light-moderate wash of photochemical grain. The anamorphic glass adds its trademark clarity to the center of the image while the edges fall off just a tad. Shadows are truly deep, yet retain very nice detail on their own. The HDR grade expands the contrast while allowing the highlights to really pop—the brightest parts of the image are just eye-reactive (per the disc’s metadata, peak brightness is 1000 nits with a deep floor). And the color palette! Hues are vibrant and nuanced, with an added luster that’s visible right from the start—just take a look at the crystal panels of Ren’s Sith “wayfinder” and the many different environments as the Falcon lightspeed-skips. What’s more, with an average datarate of 60 Mbps, the quality here is markedly better than the currently available digital 4K streams (and I speak from experience, having just watch the Vudu presentation). It’s just so much more dimensonal and luminous, there’s almost no comparison. This is a gorgeous 4K image—I’ll personally never watch this film any other way."

cheers!
I believe you but it pales in comparison. I believe it is actually an upscale to 4k not native 4k. It looks grainy. Watch Black panther then watch ROS. No comparison.

DarthPete

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Call of the Wild- The CGI for the dogs was straight outta 2003. The story was, I dunno, not great? I've never read the book so I can't compare the two, but it felt like it had been very adapted for film. Harrison Ford did a good job portraying "Harrison Ford as a prospector." All that aside the dog was A VERY GOOD BOY.
Togo was better.

CadBane

Emperor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Hollywod, can someone please tell me the point of this plot? Was it just about male bonding and how Hollywood changed during this time period? 4/10 and that's being generous imho.

jedisquared

Sith Lord
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Hollywod, can someone please tell me the point of this plot? Was it just about male bonding and how Hollywood changed during this time period? 4/10 and that's being generous imho.
If they had concentrated on their friendship and left out all the Manson Family stuff, I think it would have come off better. But I guess then it wouldn’t be a Tarantino film.

DarthPete

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Following on the Moses theme, watched the Ten Commandments. Quite the epic; it's interesting how when I was a kid the movie would have seemed boring and old because the effects and sets were so dated looking. Now that everything is CGI, I'm super impressed with the scale and skill that went into making the effects and sets practical and so impressive, haha.