Recent CD/Music purchases

Reaction score
red_arc said:
Wolf Parade
The Shins
Death Cab for Cutie
Elliot Smith
The only ones on your list I have exposure to; especially a big fan of Elliot Smith. Love his music, and still firmly believe his girlfriend killed him.

Ever heard of these? You might like them:

Dressy Bessy
The Decemberists
The Firey Furnaces
In Gowan Ring
Talulah Gosh

Reaction score
deathstar1000 said:
You should see the looks I get at work sometimes!
lol, you oughta see the looks I get! I'm listening to a playlist that jump from Glenn Miller and Judy Garland to A Perfect Circle, to Paul Oakenfold, and finishing up with Emilie Autumn and Midnattsol.

Reaction score
red_arc said:
The Shins
Death Cab for Cutie
Menomena
three of my favorite bands. I'll have to check the others you mentioned. I got a few for you

The Postal Service (gibbard)
Dntel (the other guy from The Postal Service)
The Helio Sequence (one of the greatest)
Minus the Bear (not really Indie but close enough)

Reaction score
I picked up "A Hard Days Night" by the Beatles. I own everything after Rubber Soul, and have for years. Every year I make it a resoulution of sorts to pick up their earlier work, but it's of those few cd's that never go on sale, even at WalMart. So for 13 or 14 dollars I picked it up. It's not bad, but I think some of teh songs of theirs that I wanted were on HELP!, which was the other one I was debating against. Maybe next week.

Reaction score
Working Class Hero, a two CD collection of solo Lennon.

I also got a Johnny Cash greatest hits type CD, and I have to say, he bored me sick. John Henry was a cool song, and Ring of Fire will rule forever, but in general, I was hard pressed to give a damn about his stories. I know all those people, and they're just as uninspiring in song as they are in real life.

He's a good guitarist though. Simple, but more direct than anyone. I imagine he was an extremely straight talker.

Reaction score
Radiohead 'In Rainbows' - had the downloaded version for sometime now, and just bought the official release of it on CD - made the case up too - lotsa fun!!!

Another great album: Anika Moa - 'In Swings the Tide'

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
Minus the Bear
I love minus the bear. Especially their "self titled" release "Menos del Oso".

Pretty much all the bands that came from Botch are awesome

Reaction score
saddestmoon said:
Radiohead 'In Rainbows' - had the downloaded version for sometime now, and just bought the official release of it on CD - made the case up too - lotsa fun!!!. . .
Just downloaded that yesterday off iTunes. Really good album.

Reaction score
Clan_Skirata said:
Ewok_Slayer said:
Minus the Bear
I love minus the bear. Especially their "self titled" release "Menos del Oso".

Pretty much all the bands that came from Botch are awesome
Oso is good but what really drew me in was "Highly Refined Pirates"

Reaction score
Elliot Smith "New Moon"

whoaa i never realized how big those guys have gotten (minus the bear) known those guys for years personally thats nuts!

Reaction score
The Marley "Legends" Greatest Hits album.

Target had it on sale and I had a copy during my college years only to be lost.

I really do enjoy the music and so do my toddlers.

Reaction score
Picked up 2 cd's today

1. Gin Blossoms -20th century masters hits

Couldn't pass it up at Wal-Mart in a bin for $6.88. They were one of those bands that was moderatly popular when I was in high school but at that time I liked my music with a bit more of an edge. In college I used to borrow their "New Miserable Experience" album from a friend, and enjoyed it, so teh other day when I was at Wal-Mart I saw it and passed but ironicly, on my way home I heard one of their songs on the radio, so when I was back there today, I grabbed it.

2. The Doors - Morrison Hotel

I have this one on vinyl. I played it so much during high school it almost doesn't play anymore. This is alot more roadhouse and alot less lizard king than many of their other releases, so I think it might not be as popular to many as albums like LA Woman or Strange Days. "Land Ho" for years has been one of my favorite Doors songs, adn I'm finally glad to have this, my second of their remastered cd's. The other one I have is "the Soft Parade", which I would say is in my top 25 albums of all time.

Reaction score
Tonight I lucked upon and bought "The Definitive Collection" of Thin Lizzy.

Reaction score
Finally found "Master of Reality" by Black Sabbath at a used CD shop. It was new anyways and I got it for five bucks.

Reaction score
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
i like it.. Grohl is the bomb

i'm also really excited about Counting Crows new album
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings that's coming out in March, as well as Coldplays new one that should be coming out later this year.

Reaction score
darths_bane said:
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
i like it.. Grohl is the bomb

i'm also really excited about Counting Crows new album
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings that's coming out in March, as well as Coldplays new one that should be coming out later this year.
COOL! I'm really into the Crows. I have all of their albums including their newest live album that was off most peoples radar. While their music hasn't been a exciting as their early releases. I must say, there seems to be a bit of a resurgance in the popularity of their sound, so hopefully they can learn from their imitators, and put out a superior album.

As for Foo Fighters, I haven't bought one of their albums since the Colour and the Shape, but I really like what I've heard and I think their new one might be one of the next cd's I purchse.

My new cd's, that I just bought today on Amazon.com are:

King Kahn & BBQ Show - Self titled 1st album reissue

Spoon - GA GA GA GA GA - I heard their single "The Underdog" on the radio, ironicly when I was on the way to buy the last 2 albums I have listed above, but I didn't know who sang it. I gave a detailed description on yahoo answers and two knowledgable fans pointed me towards this release.

Hopefully I'll have these in hand, in 4-14 business days

Reaction score
i guess no one who regularly posts on this thread listens to hip hop?

over the last month i've picked up the new ghostface ablum (good, not great), the new wu tang album (not feeling it, might grow on me), a ghostface/trife album from '05 (awesome), and the second masta killa album from '06 (almost as good as the first one).

Reaction score
Yesterday I downloaded the Rivers Cuomo (singer of Weezer) demos album from Zune Marketplace. F-ing brilliant album.

Reaction score
Can - Landed

Thurston Moore - Trees outside the Academy

The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

Reaction score
Jon Foreman(of switchfoot) two ep's, Fall and Winter.. really really good

Reaction score
TerdVader said:
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
saw them in concert on christmas eve (they are from here). good show and good music but the singer annoys me in concert.

Reaction score
I'm gonna be seeing them this summer at a festival called summerfest, which is located really close to where I live.

I was a HUGE fan of The Soft Bullitin and sad to say, was slightly disappointed with Yoshimi. As a musician and audiophile. I felt like even though they seemed to be having more fun on Yoshimi, Alot of the synth patches seemed uninspired, like they were the factory settings that came on the machine, same with the electronic drums. Then on top of that, the 5.1 mix SUCKS!!! They actually have a video showing the lead singer, baked out of his mind, just pretty much randomly twisting knobs to make his tracks randomly come out of different speakers. And that is insulting. There is no cohesiveness to the 5.1 mix at all, and on top of that you pay an extra $10 for that second disc.

EDIT: I've now listened to the Entire new Lips album. I'm really impressed! It's much better than the last one. I think the distinction between this one and the last one is that Once again it sounds like a band making music together. Yoshimi sounded like songs written individually by the band members, created on a workstation keyboard, and introduced to the band. Mystics has a lot of songs that actually sound like they were plunked out in a band setting, on instruments that have strings

Reaction score
I just ordered a cd from a band called MGMT from amazon.com

I was really bored yesterday messing with the V-Cast on my verizon phone and I was sifting through the new releases for mp3 download when I found these guys. I listened to the 1st 20 seconds of each song on the entire album and thought that it warrented a purchase. Especially when I was able to get it for under $10 with shipping.

Reaction score
Am I the only one into music this week or what????

I picked up XTC - Apple Venus Vol 1

I used to love this album. My ex girlfriend turned me on to them around 2000, this was my favorite of ther works. I accedentally broke this cd probably around 2002, when my old car got finicky about giving cd's back, and it broke while I was removing it. It's probably the album highest on my want list that took me the longest to reaquire. It's kind of a hard album to find. The only place I've seen it in years was Barnes and Noble and I never wanted to pay $18.99 for it. Luckily they had it at the comic store in the used cd bin for $6.99, while I was there earlier to get some mylar bags for the Batman Comics I got at another comic store yesterday in their 50 cent bin.

Anyway, awesome album, I recommend it highly to anyone who likes modern psychedelic brit-pop, or wierd stoner-pop like The Flaming Lips.

Reaction score
Fortress- Protest The Hero
Ziggy Stardust- David Bowie
Elect The Dead- Serj Tankian

Reaction score
Just borrowed Young Modern by Silverchair from a friend.

Reaction score
bungeetoad said:
Just borrowed Young Modern by Silverchair from a friend.
I heard that one is supposed to be really good. Let me know what you thought of it.

Today I bought:

Holiday - America. It's one of the records I used to mellow out to when my record player still worked. Probably my favorite of America's albums, I was sad to see they were quite expensive, about $20, when their back catalog was released on cd in 2005. I got it on amazon for $8.14, which is about what I wanted to spend on it, so I'm pleased.

Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd. This year I'm going to finish my Floyd collection and this one was only 5 and some change on Amazon so I got it. I've got 7 or 8 of their albums I think. Off the top of my head I still need, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, More, and Obscured by Clouds. I'm not so much into the Division Bell, so I'll probably skip that one, oh and I'd like to get Pulse.

Reaction score
MEANS said:
the Mars Volta- The Bedlam in Goliath
Is that album any good? I was thinking about picking it up the other day.

Anyway, I recently bought
Say Anything (...Is A Real Boy)
As Tall As Lions [self titled]
Smashing Pumpkins (Machina)
and The Matches (Decomposer)

Reaction score
BennyDarkness said:
MEANS said:
the Mars Volta- The Bedlam in Goliath
Is that album any good? I was thinking about picking it up the other day.

Anyway, I recently bought
Say Anything (...Is A Real Boy)
As Tall As Lions [self titled]
Smashing Pumpkins (Machina)
and The Matches (Decomposer)
i like it, it's still growing on me like most of their cd's do. If you've never heard them before I'd suggest picking up their full length debut: De-Loused in the Comatorium to start off with.

Reaction score
Jack Johnson - Sleep through the Static (amazing as always)
The Strokes - Is This It (great stoner rock)

From Zune Marketplace.