Recent CD/Music purchases

Reaction score
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction "Super Deluxe" Edition. You have never heard "Appetite For Destruction" until you hear the 5.1 Surround mix that comes with this set! Unbelievable!

^Here's my argument against digital. You CANNOT get something as beautiful as this on digital!

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten this was coming out.
Got the 2-disc one, though. The deluxe is really nice, but too rich for my blood. Enjoy it!

Also snagged the Pantera: Live at Dynamo album.

Reaction score
Jurassic World by Michael Giacchino: Costa Rican Standoff

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino: This Title Makes Me Jurassic, The Theropod Preservation Society, March of the Wheatley Cavalcade, Nostalgia-Saurus, Raiders of the Lost Isla Nublar, Operation Blue Blood, Jurassic Pillow Talk, To Free or Not to Free, The Neo-Jurassic Age

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Williams & John Powell: The Adventures of Han, Flying with Chewie, Marauders Arrive, Reminiscence Therapy

Pray for the Wicked by Panic at the Disco: High Hopes

Reaction score
First off, I'll say that I've bought way too much music lately, mainly from the clearance bin at a nearby used shop, but I've also bought a few actual new, real new CD's. One that really stands out is "Esperanza" by Esperanza Spalding. The CD actually came out in 2008 and while I think I may have seen her name pop up on Youtube or Spotify, I had no idea who she actually was. A couple weeks ago a friend of mine told me I should check her out but didn't give any details other than saying he thought I'd like her. Fast forward a week or two and I'm watching "Luke Cage." In one episode there's a lady singing a jazzy tune that has a great, throwback style to it. I Googled it and found out it was "I Know You Know" from her 2008 CD. I went right out and bought, which in this case means I went right to Amazon and downloaded it. WOW! She's amazing! I've had all her albums shuffling on Spotify since. If you like Jazz, or somewhat jazzy R&B, you really need to check her out. I'm now wishing I'd heard about her 10-12 years ago.

Reaction score
the music for Luke Cage was a highlight of the show for me. sooooo good.
given the 'Harlem''setting, I was expecting a lot of modern hip hop..
but instead they went with a 40's "jazz revival" feel, paying homage to the roots of "jazz"
this was a great decision.

I mean, the Biggie Poster was cool.. but lets face it, not everybody digs hip hop.
instead they went back to the roots of ALL american music, and tapped into something with a more 'universal' appeal.
the music choices were brilliant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got the 2-CD Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction Anniversary Target Exclusive set last week. Great, affordable set (on sale for $15.99, at least as of last week). And, I liked the packaging, which included a chrome?! slip-cover, a nice collectible patch, and a small booklet. Note here is an unboxing of a similar set, but since this is from the UK it doesn't include the collectible patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTLk1wGAuA

There is no way I can afford (or would want to pay, even if I could afford) the various hugely expensive boxed AFD sets with all of the trimmings. $40-$50 is my limit for anniversary boxed sets like this, and these are all a hell of a lot more than that.

I know the "Super Deluxe Edition" is around $150 - which I feel is already too much for a boxed set. However, I can see a hardcore fan who has the $ buying this - it does look fairly cool. And, $150 - while expensive - is not that bad.

However, there is yet another much more expensive "Locked and Loaded" boxed set that's around $1,000 - screw that. I don't know how a music company can justify charging THAT much for a boxed set, nor do I know anyone who would pay that much money for this. However, obviously there are wealthy?! fans out there who are buying this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haven't seen Luke Cage S02 yet, but did see S01 back in early 2017. Great series, and I agree about the jazzy score.

I liked how S01 closed out with this great "retro" jazz song by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, "100 days, 100 nights". This song came out in the 200X's, but the feel/vibe was of a much older song. I also like how the video has got that old-skool, b&w tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got the 2-CD Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction Anniversary Target Exclusive set last week. Great, affordable set (on sale for $15.99, at least as of last week). And, I liked the packaging, which included a chrome?! slip-cover, a nice collectible patch, and a small booklet. Note here is an unboxing of a similar set, but since this is from the UK it doesn't include the collectible patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTLk1wGAuA

There is no way I can afford (or would want to pay, even if I could afford) the various hugely expensive boxed AFD sets with all of the trimmings. $40-$50 is my limit for anniversary boxed sets like this, and these are all a hell of a lot more than that.

I know the "Super Deluxe Edition" is around $150 - which I feel is already too much for a boxed set. However, I can see a hardcore fan who has the $ buying this - it does look fairly cool. And, $150 - while expensive - is not that bad.

However, there is yet another much more expensive "Locked and Loaded" boxed set that's around $1,000 - screw that. I don't know how a music company can justify charging THAT much for a boxed set, nor do I know anyone who would pay that much money for this. However, obviously there are wealthy?! fans out there who are buying this.
Yeah, I saw the $1,000 set as well. Waaaay too pricey but it is a nice set.
My limit is like yours for these sets or remasters. I usually wait a bit before buying any remaster now as some of them have been lackluster.

The recent Metallica Master of Puppets was bland. I couldn't tell much of any remastering. I also read several reviews that stated that, but unfortunately after I had bought it. Guess I was excited about it after having been listening to the original average production.

Anyhow, this GNR one is a superb remaster. It actually makes me like the album even more than I already did. It's been in my top 10 of all time. Now it's a ton better.

Reaction score
Just ordered David Lee Roth's Eat 'em and Smile.
Had this on cassette ages ago and never picked up the cd.
For some reason forgot about it but came across it on youtube. Man, this was a really fun album. Loved it more than any post-Roth Van Halen for a long time.

Reaction score
Picked up:

-Linkin Park's Meteora for $5 at Walmart. Thought I had this so was nice to pick it up cheap.

-Motley Crue's Too Fast for Love on vinyl. Amazon had it for $11. Had this on cassette back in the day, then cd, then the remastered cd, and now the vinyl.
One of their two best albums ever besides Shout at the Devil. ​Can't wait to throw this on the turntable.

Reaction score
What's your set up Happy?
Nothing to write home about at the moment.
I got some Jensen floor speakers and a receiver from my father-in-law's when a passed away a few year ago.
The receiver is more anywhere from 8-10 years old: 100w.
My turntable is Audio Technica LP120.
The setup is fine for now, but we are in the process of having work done on our house (paint, carpet taken out to put wood flooring) and we've had to move stuff.
The speakers are older and heavy so I'm MAYBE looking for some bookshelf ones, but WHICH is proving to be a pain to research.

My new cd purchases:

-Power Trip Manifest Decimation
-Power Trip Nightmare Logic
Great metal band in the vein of Death Angell, Kreator, etc.

-L.A. Guns The Devil You Know
Not as great as the last album, but still has some kick to it.

-Car Wash Soundtrack
What's not to like about this funky soundtrack?

-Superman II/III Soundtrack
Great 3 disc set with both soundtracks. Lot of good tracks on here although I'm not too keen on one of the discs which has a lot of the non-score stuff that's just "filler" for certain scenes.

Reaction score
Not a purchase, but I’m going to see LA Guns Thursday night in New Orleans. I’m fired up, I’ve only seen them once and that was at Rocklahoma several years ago and it was the Traci only version. Excited to see Phil live!

Reaction score
Not a purchase, but I’m going to see LA Guns Thursday night in New Orleans. I’m fired up, I’ve only seen them once and that was at Rocklahoma several years ago and it was the Traci only version. Excited to see Phil live!
Yeah man, I saw them in January of last year on their Missing Peace tour and the reunion of Phil and Tracii is awesome. They seemed to be having such a great time on stage.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
Yes, I still collect music CD's sometimes. I grew up with the format, so I guess nostalgia has a lot to do with this. I still haven't gone digital yet, though do sometimes stream music. In any case, I'm glad CD's are still being made/produced.

I recently picked up:

The Razor's Edge - AC/DC (1990): Very solid album, without any bad songs. Stand-out tracks include: Thunderstruck, The Razor's Edge; Money Talks; Mistress for Christmas; and others. Great stuff here.

Tidal - Fiona Apple (1996): Excellent album; I know Apple has been discussed in the '90's thread on here. I definitely found her sultry vocals/songs to be far superior to many of the more well known '90's songstresses of the era. Stand-out tracks from this album include: Criminal, Shadowboxer, Slow Like Honey, First Taste, and Pale September (among others).

Last edited:
Reaction score
With TOOL finally (after nearly 14yrs, mind you) releasing their new album in a couple of weeks, has anyone heard anything about a follow up US tour? They did a measly 10 or so shows earlier in 2019, then took off to go overseas. They are either already back or they should be back from overseas any day now, thus one would assume they’d do a full US tour this time around once the new album drops in a cpl weeks....yet, I cant find anything (besides 2 shows in/around Sacramento in Sept or Oct). Has anybody else seen or heard anything about a follow up tour?

Reaction score
Got Sacred Reich's Awakening.
After 23 years since their last album, they're back and thrashing their way through a bunch of great songs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Recently picked up:

-That Dog Retreat From the Sun
-The Stills/Young Band Long May You Run
-Metric Fantasies (great album; heard a track on the Scott Pilgrim movie and loved the group)

Finally, picked up Tool's Fear Inoculum.
Has a beautiful packaging (digital 4" screen with a 2 watt speaker which shows a digital artsy movie) and mp3 download card which has additional tracks.
Still feel up in the air about the album. Need a few more listens.

Reaction score
I just recently discovered Twilight Force and picked up two of their albums: Heroes of Mighty Magic and Dawn of the Dragonstar. They are a Swedish symphonic power-metal band, with a distinct fantasy/D&D theme to their music. Awesome stuff if you are into heavy metal.