Recent CD/Music purchases

Reaction score
jedi_atheist said:
had a great day for finds yeasterday, quite a few bands i like are hard to find in mainstream stores
napalm death - smear campaign
OMG only the 2nd person I've ever known to buy a napalm death CD. Do you listen to Cannibal Corpse also?

I usually can't find my music at Best Buy or Circuit City either but that's just cuz I listen to music that isn't appealing to most people

Reaction score
My CD purchases have really come down in the last couple of years, mostly because I like the older stuff, and I feel like I've pretty much maxed on getting what I like.

Every new band that comes along and people hype me into buying a CD of always leaves me disappointed.
I'm so sick of Emo, bubblegum, whatever they label the crap Justin Timberlake puts out, rap, hip-hop, thrash-speed-death metal and all I want is good old rock and roll and great R&B that isn't embarassing to listen to.
Yeah, I like old school, so it's pretty obvious my CD purchasing is limited.

/rant

Reaction score
I just a picked a few key tracks from the Transformers score. Great stuff.

_Max

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
jedi_atheist said:
had a great day for finds yeasterday, quite a few bands i like are hard to find in mainstream stores
napalm death - smear campaign
OMG only the 2nd person I've ever known to buy a napalm death CD. Do you listen to Cannibal Corpse also?

I usually can't find my music at Best Buy or Circuit City either but that's just cuz I listen to music that isn't appealing to most people
nope, i never liked chris barnes' vocal so i never really got into cannibal corpse - though when george from monstrosity took over i was fortunate enough to see their first show in tampa and they were great

as for napalm death, this is probably the 12th or 13th cd of theirs i have, i think i'm missing only 4 now

Hrvat76 said:
Picked up Dethklok and the score to Transformers.
i love the dethklok album, there are a few duds but most of the songs are just phenomenal

Reaction score
Jack_Victory said:
OK, this is a few weeks old, but Talib Kweli's Eardrum is one of the best albums I have purchased in a long, long time. Well worth $9.99 for the 20 tracks (no skits). Geniusly produced too... and no I don't mean GZA.
Hey! How does it compare to Quality...that's been my fave so far...well excludeing Blackstar of course. How many tracks did Kanye produce?

Reaction score
jedi_atheist said:
i love the dethklok album, there are a few duds but most of the songs are just phenomenal
I was recovering from surgery in the hospital and had the CN on. It was Dethklok. I was on some amazing drugs for pain. It would have been October 7th. I really do not know what I saw...but it was amazing. Dethklok rules the universe that night.

Thunderhorse is my favorite.

I got the 2 CD special edition.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
The Shins - Oh, Invented World

anything good come out recently or about to?
Since I bought this one after I'd had Shutes too narrow for a year, I gotta say I was rather disappointed. But that's only to say that the band has only gotten better.

If your're into this kind of stuff, do you like Sufjan Stevens? his album "Come on feel the Illinoise" is amazing.

Reaction score
TerdVader said:
Ewok_Slayer said:

Since I bought this one after I'd had Shutes too narrow for a year, I gotta say I was rather disappointed. But that's only to say that the band has only gotten better.

If your're into this kind of stuff, do you like Sufjan Stevens? his album "Come on feel the Illinoise" is amazing.
Weird I know this girl who gave me a burnt cd and it had the track "past and pending" on it. That was the first time I heard the shins. She mentioned Sufjan Stevens to me. I don't know anything about him/them. She lived in Chicago thats prob where she heard it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Picked up Silverchair's new album last night. And I got Korn's
Greatest Hits a couple of weeks ago.

Reaction score
how is silverchair's cd. i listened to them a while ago when frogstomp first came out. then it was played to death on the radio and i didnt want to hear it anymore

Reaction score
TerdVader said:
Ewok_Slayer said:

"Put Sufjan Stevens on and we'll play your favorite song
Chicago bursts to life and your sweet smile remembers you"

finally I know what the heck that lyric means. I never knew what the hell he meant by with Sufjan Stevens.

I bought The Postal Service

Reaction score
lumat said:
i got afi decemberunderground

it is absolutely terrible. there is one or 2 songs i like.
i browsed a site that played like 30 second clips of the songs, and they all sounded good. then i get the cd, and what is it...they have about 30 seconds worth of goodness in each song, but the rest of it stinks

i dont like the cd at all
http://www.amazon.com/Decemberunderground-AFI/dp/B000FFJ85I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6888164-3225430?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194900115&sr=8-1
did you like AFI beforehand? I love the prelude on that cd.

I bought Wincing the Night Away yesterday and I have to say it's the best CD of 2007

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
TerdVader said:
Ewok_Slayer said:

"Put Sufjan Stevens on and we'll play your favorite song
Chicago bursts to life and your sweet smile remembers you"

finally I know what the heck that lyric means. I never knew what the hell he meant by with Sufjan Stevens.

I bought The Postal Service
And on that note, I like Snow Patrol also.

Well, I'm not gonna be getting any more cd's until Christmas. After thanksgiving my fiancee "cuts me off" from buying anything. After 2 consecutive years of me purchasing something for myself right before Christmas that she was gonna get me, it's just better for my [censored] life if I refrain from making purchases. SO I thought I'd post not the cd's I just bought, but the ones I'm asking for, for Christmas

REM - Live 2 disc special edition

Wilco - Kicking Television, Live in Chicago

Pearl Jam - Live at the Gorge 3 Cd set

Television - Adventure

The Clash - Combat Rock

The first 3 are ones that I've been eyeing for awhile, but at over 20 bucks, I just haven't wanted ot spent the dough on, but would make a great Christmas gift. The last two, I probably won't get, but may be able to pick up right after Christmas depending on how much, if any, Christmas money is received.

Reaction score
Bill Withers - Greatest hits (only 2 or 3 bad 80's songs, the rest are pre-1977)

James Brown - Gold (greatest hits also, but it's 50 tracks on two discs; I see a funk overdose in my future...)

Reaction score
I bought Peter Frampton's live album for my brother and 3 Michael Buble albms for my wife, all for Christmas.

Reaction score
I didn't get any cd's for Christmas so I went out yesterday and spent some Christmas money on a couple, I got:

Television - Adventure

Wilco - Kicking Television; Live in Chicago

Radiohead - In /Rainbows (because my Walmart mistakinly put it out a week early)

Bread - Anthology of Bread

The Killers - Sawdust b - sides and rarities

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Reaction score
I got the RAW 15th anniversary CD for Christmas.

TerdVader, if you could let me know how good the Eagles album turns out, I'd appreciate it. I have been debating getting it, but am afraid it is heavy on the sad syrupy with songs in the vein of "Desperado" and "Hole in the World" and less to no songs in the style of "Life in the Fast Lane" or "Already Gone". To me, there is too much sadness going on in the world as it is without being pulled down further into it by my music.

I am thinking of picking up a few more CD's here in the future, as I have regained a strong interest in expanding my collection, but I have to find a few artists I feel like delving into. I have been relying heavily on compilation and greatest hits albums for a while, and I want to start digging deeper again.

Reaction score
notanerd said:
I got the RAW 15th anniversary CD for Christmas.

TerdVader, if you could let me know how good the Eagles album turns out, I'd appreciate it. I have been debating getting it, but am afraid it is heavy on the sad syrupy with songs in the vein of "Desperado" and "Hole in the World" and less to no songs in the style of "Life in the Fast Lane" or "Already Gone". To me, there is too much sadness going on in the world as it is without being pulled down further into it by my music.

I am thinking of picking up a few more CD's here in the future, as I have regained a strong interest in expanding my collection, but I have to find a few artists I feel like delving into. I have been relying heavily on compilation and greatest hits albums for a while, and I want to start digging deeper again.
Hell Freezes Over is the 1994 reunion live album. Are you thinking of the new one, The Long Road out of Here?

I will say that even for a live album, it doesn't sound live enough, just slightly different. And I'm not thrilled with the song selection. The Spanish style guitar intro to Hotel Calafornia is great, and I like this version much better than the original studio recording, but there are too many "syrupy" songs here, and I was disappointed they excluded "Witchy Woman" and my favorite " One of those Nights"

Reaction score
Oops! My bad. Yeah, I do mean The Long Road Out of Here.
Nevermind.

I never bought the Hell Freezes Over album, either. The songs I heard from it were too sad.

I understand where the Eagles are at as far as the vibe they are wanting to put out about the music, but man, could we get some up-tempo and happy songs once in a while? It almost seems they are trying to go from slick produced alt country to old blues. I don't think too many of us got hooked on them via crying.

Reaction score
notanerd said:
Oops! My bad. Yeah, I do mean The Long Road Out of Here.
Nevermind.

I never bought the Hell Freezes Over album, either. The songs I heard from it were too sad.

I understand where the Eagles are at as far as the vibe they are wanting to put out about the music, but man, could we get some up-tempo and happy songs once in a while? It almost seems they are trying to go from slick produced alt country to old blues. I don't think too many of us got hooked on them via crying.
I haven't heard the new album but I know that it is getting good review everywhere I've seen, and that it has a mainly country flavor. I'll probably pass, since I, like you, seem to enjoy their "Life in the Fast Lane" sound and feel more than their slower ballads and weepies.

Reaction score
TerdVader said:
Radiohead - In /Rainbows (because my Walmart mistakinly put it out a week early)
that is a good album. I've been listening to it for about a week.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
TerdVader said:
that is a good album. I've been listening to it for about a week.
The official cd comes with transparent decals so that you can "officialize" your burnt copy. I think that's a realy cool idea, kinda like Beck did for his last album.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
i bought mine online so I didn't get a hard copy. I paid like $3 for it
Radiohead is my absolute favorite band. That said, while I love the idea of what they did selling their album earlier this year, to me it was disappointing that it had to be them to do it. My favorite consumerist ritual is the drive to the record store sifting through the new released on the day they come out, and taking my time getting home listening to the record. My local CD store used to stay open till midnight monday nights so you could get teh new awesome releases. My friends and I would all pile in a car or two go get the new album by our favorite artists and drive through the country or lonely interstate getting lost in the new music. I still prefer to do it that way, even though they don't stay open late, and will let a preferred customer like me jsut get a new release when it comes in. but the ritual of solitary time to soak in the music after sitting in a parking lot flipping through the liner notes, being amazed by the artwork is something that is gone in the days of the digital download, and while I'm not against it by any means. It is my explanation for why I didn't have a previous copy of IN/Rainbows. Not to mention that I have an anal retentive streak that makes me keep my cd's in uniform alphabetical order for quick access and reference, and having too many box sets and cdr's tend to muck my system up. oh well, enough blabbing...

Reaction score
TerdVader said:
Ewok_Slayer said:
Radiohead is my absolute favorite band. That said, while I love the idea of what they did selling their album earlier this year, to me it was disappointing that it had to be them to do it. My favorite consumerist ritual is the drive to the record store sifting through the new released on the day they come out, and taking my time getting home listening to the record. My local CD store used to stay open till midnight monday nights so you could get teh new awesome releases. My friends and I would all pile in a car or two go get the new album by our favorite artists and drive through the country or lonely interstate getting lost in the new music. I still prefer to do it that way, even though they don't stay open late, and will let a preferred customer like me jsut get a new release when it comes in. but the ritual of solitary time to soak in the music after sitting in a parking lot flipping through the liner notes, being amazed by the artwork is something that is gone in the days of the digital download, and while I'm not against it by any means. It is my explanation for why I didn't have a previous copy of IN/Rainbows. Not to mention that I have an anal retentive streak that makes me keep my cd's in uniform alphabetical order for quick access and reference, and having too many box sets and cdr's tend to muck my system up. oh well, enough blabbing...
I only buy my favorite bands cd. Others I just buy albums online. Its hard to resist albums under $5 versus $10-$13 at the store.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
TerdVader said:
Ewok_Slayer said:
I only buy my favorite bands cd. Others I just buy albums online. Its hard to resist albums under $5 versus $10-$13 at the store.
I can get albums for $5 online

I thought they were pretty much the same price on itunes?

When I get a non-work at home internet accessable cpu. there's probably 50 songs right off the bat that I'm gonna download.

Reaction score
Recent CD purchases;

Walking with Strangers by The Birthday Massacre
Dark Passion Play by Nightwish
Future Perfect by Freezepop

Reaction score
I just got back from my hometown Chicago this Wednesday and I bought about 10 House Music CD's.
I'm sure I'm probably the only on these boards that listens to House music.

Reaction score
I wouldnt be so sure

In terms of electronica, I tend more towards EBM, Techno, Trance and Electrogoth, but I'm certainly no stranger to House.

Reaction score
2E151 said:
I wouldnt be so sure

In terms of electronica, I tend more towards EBM, Techno, Trance and Electrogoth, but I'm certainly no stranger to House.
I'm a drum and bass fan. Especially Diesel Boy

Reaction score
recently renewed my love for the Toy Dolls so I"m filling in the holes in my collection, and just recently discovered wing, it's the greatest train wreck I've ever heard!! God bless you wing.

Reaction score
I bought Eddie Money's greatest hits tonight.

I almost bought Britney Spears' and Offspring's greatest hits tonight too, but Britney's doesn't have enough of great tunes, but all of my faves, while Offspring would have made me feel like turning my man card in and having my year of birth reset to 1986. No thanks, though both of those were $9.99.

Reaction score
got the first two helio sequence cds for christmas.

Terdvader,

You'd like their latest album "love and distance"

Reaction score
All indie rock fans need to check out the link in my sig! I wholeheartedly endorse this band!

Bands in my top rotation thus far, I can't pick certain albums becuase I like them all. Check out these bands if you are into indie rock or punk rock music.

Arcade Fire
City on Film
Wolf Parade
Rollo Tomasai
Mt. St. Helens
May or May Not
Haymarket Riot
Owen
Make Beleive
Joan of Arc
Channels
Blue Tip
Chin Up Chin Up
The Shins
Death Cab for Cutie
The Evens
Lungfish
Q and Not U
Apocalypse Hoboken
Band of Horses
Menomena
The Narrator
Bound Stems
The Race
Mannequin men
Elliot Smith
THE PAPER CHASE
Planes Mistaken for Stars

Now google these bands and listen to some awesome music!

Reaction score
2E151 said:
I wouldnt be so sure

You should see the looks I get at work sometimes!