Recent CD/Music purchases

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy and bought my first CD in over a year. It felt great to buy one in store rather than buy or pirate it online. I didn't see at thread already about this and since there is a DVD thread I figured this is a legit thread.

I picked up Venus Doom by HIM. Great album so far. You can tell it's them but it's much different. The music and his voice are more metal. Average song is about 5+ minutes.

I think I may go back and get the new Dropkick Murphys album

Reaction score
I got the new Dropkick Murphys cd. Along with a pointless 2-disc version of Serenity. When the hell did that come out?

Reaction score
Casting Crowns - The Altar and the Door

Probably my last CD purchase until the new Matchbox Twenty album comes out.

Reaction score
I just bought the remastered Bee Gees "Greatest".

Say what you want about disco, the Bee Gee's, etc, etc, but the music from them in that era kicked major booty.

Reaction score
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are you the Destroyer? (Last Week)

Hot Hot Heat - Happiness Ltd. (Last Week)

Reaction score
Yeah, I like it a lot, though the second disc is much better than the first. It was pricey ($27.99 at Best Buy) but worth it. Some of the songs on there I've been wanting to have on CD for years. It comes in a really nice package and it's because of the package that it's located over with the box sets and not the regular CDs, so be sure to check there if you go to a Best Buy or Cicuit City.

Reaction score
Last album I bought was Bon Jovi's Lost Highway and I feel ripped. It's not even 40 mins long. Love em or hate em, I want a cd to last my commute!

Reaction score
i finally get to use some of my giftcards, so i picked up these 3 just now

hatebreed - supremacy
parliament - the millennium collection
kc & the sunshine band - original hits

Reaction score
Transformers Soundtrack
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall

Reaction score
The Deep Eynde - "Bad Blood"

For those that may not be familiar with The Deep Eynde, this LA band with their blend of Horrorpunk, Deathrock, and standard Rock stylings shines thru once again on this, their fourth full length CD. I personally find this disc to be a bit overproduced, so I'm reserving final judgment until they eventually tour the US again (They tend to tour Europe 2x a year as the scene for this style of music is much larger and they can command much higher guarantees from venues). What it sounds like to me: IF TSOL tried to sound like The Supersuckers, it would sould like this Deep Eynde cd.

Reaction score
bought and downloaded Dropkick Murphys "Meanest of Times" from GoMusic. Not too bad so far. It's hard to listen to the whole thing though

Reaction score
I got Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road and Let it Be for $12 a piece. If I feel irresponsible this weekend, I'm going back for Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's.

Reaction score
devilof1776 said:
I got Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road and Let it Be for $12 a piece. If I feel irresponsible this weekend, I'm going back for Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's.
I bought the LOVE 5.1 mix and it is f'n brilliant. I wonder if Sgt Peppers will ever be mixed in 5.1.

Reaction score
OK, this is a few weeks old, but Talib Kweli's Eardrum is one of the best albums I have purchased in a long, long time. Well worth $9.99 for the 20 tracks (no skits). Geniusly produced too... and no I don't mean GZA.

Reaction score
ProgMatinee said:
I bought the LOVE 5.1 mix and it is f'n brilliant. I wonder if Sgt Peppers will ever be mixed in 5.1.
I can't even imagine how great that would be. I'll sell someone else's first born to get everything from Rubber Soul to the end in 5.1.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
I went to Best Buy and bought my first CD in over a year. It felt great to buy one in store rather than buy or pirate it online. I didn't see at thread already about this and since there is a DVD thread I figured this is a legit thread.

Same with me, I bought Venus Doom opening day. I also picked up Underoath's 777 (dvd) and Mindless Self Indulgence's You'll rebel To Anything.
I picked up Venus Doom by HIM. Great album so far. You can tell it's them but it's much different. The music and his voice are more metal. Average song is about 5+ minutes.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:

I can't support the Dropkick Murphys, thanks to them, one of my favorite bands of all time doesn't exist anymore.
Al left The Bruisers(Best American Oi! band ever) to join Dropkick$, and to me his voice just doesn't fit their sound. So IF I decide to get the new CD, I'll DL it and keep my cash for a more deserving band.

J

Reaction score
JosephY said:
Ewok_Slayer said:

I can't support the Dropkick Murphys, thanks to them, one of my favorite bands of all time doesn't exist anymore.
Al left The Bruisers(Best American Oi! band ever) to join Dropkick$, and to me his voice just doesn't fit their sound. So IF I decide to get the new CD, I'll DL it and keep my cash for a more deserving band.

J
thats my one complaint with the album. The voice doesn't match the sound

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
I downloaded and paid for the Shins "chutes too narrow" last night.
That album was in my top ten for a year after I bought it. A wonderful songcraft and sonic recording, I would've put this in my favorites list, but honestly, the other two albums aren't nearly as good.

Reaction score
Ewok_Slayer said:
JosephY said:
Ewok_Slayer said:

J
thats my one complaint with the album. The voice doesn't match the sound
The stuff they released with the original singer (who left the band to become a firefighter) is great, his voice matches the sound perfectly. Al Barr should be singing angry street Rock&Roll,not watered down pop punk, his voice is much more suited for it. IF you want to hear Als voice in its proper suroundings, put down the new Dropkicks cd and go out and get The Bruisers singles collection cd, or "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'" .

Cheers
J

Reaction score
Just bought HIM's new CD Venus Doom. Also, TFK's new one The Flame In All of Us and David Crowder's Remedy.

And hopefully this weekend I'll pick up the 2nd Volume of the Halo 2 Soundtrack.

November 20 marks the release of the Halo 3 OST. I can't WAIT to get this.

Reaction score
I got some new cd's this weekend

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Stereolab - Dots and Loops

Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street

Egon's Unicat - not sure what the album's called

Reaction score
had to get the Metalocalypse Dethklok: the Dethalbum
it's really brutal and still has some really funny stuff as well

Reaction score
bought the new Kaiser Chiefs and the RE3 Soundtrack. Both pretty good. KC has a different sound. Like a faster version of Chutes Too Narrow

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't buy music very often at all, but the other night I was at Best Buy and I found three that I wanted:

"Carnival Ride" by: Carrie Underwood
"Raising Sand" by: Robert Plant & Allison Krauss
"Go" by: The Newsboys

Reaction score
I got the Transformers: The Score soundtrack from Amazon on Monday.

Probably my second favorite soundtrack, behind The Rock.

Steve Jablonsky creates a great theme that is present throughout the soundtrack. Pretty much what you hear in the movie is what you get on the CD.

Pretty hard to find CD too (only seem to find it online, not in stores)

I recommend it.

Reaction score
bought the Island soundtrack. Great soundtrack. I suggest at least getting "my name is lincoln". It's been in several movies since this one.

also picked up all 3 Beatles anthologies. Ouch that was a set back

*edit
Cds are $20 each and whole box set with dvds and books is $46 on amazon

Reaction score
had a great day for finds yeasterday, quite a few bands i like are hard to find in mainstream stores

bolt thrower - those once loyal
dimmu borgir - stormblast (reissue)
napalm death - smear campaign
meshuggah - catch thirty-three