Rebel Soldier (Echo Base Battle Gear) - VC68

Reaction score
To be released in wave eight of the line (W5 for 2011) will be a rebel deck officer from Echo Base! Another vintage gap is filled!

Photos will be linked over shortly!

Re: Rebel Deck Officer (Hoth) - VC**

BASSSS-3.jpg

I believe this is the one, no?

I certainly think it does. I'm sure there will be some of the hair splitter crowd that will argue that some of the differences need to be addressed (the same guys that talk about the unzipped jumpsuit Rebel Commando not being done yet).

But as far as I'm concerned, this is a rebel deck officer, and it fits the bill for me - looks like I'm going to have to come up with another campaign (and I'm not sure for TESB what that will be yet)...

'78

tarcanes92 said:
There are some differences with the jacket, but does this count as the modern equivalent of the vintage figure?

link to the vintage figure
Well IMO that figure was a mistake, so no this new one is not an update to that. You would actually need the TLC HRT painted in those colors to create that update.

All that aside he looks great and I can't wait to add a few to my ranks, it's nice to have a generic non removable cap trooper again.
I can see that head going onto one of my HRT's!

Down side is the way they sculpted the torso it looks like it's all one piece with no swivel joint, I really hope this torso isn't reused for Hoth Luke if that's the case.

Masterfett said:
I really hope this torso isn't reused for Hoth Luke if that's the case.

When I first saw this I had to do a double-take because I thought it WAS a fugly Hoth Luke!

tarcanes92 said:
There are some differences with the jacket, but does this count as the modern equivalent of the vintage figure?

link to the vintage figure

This is exactly like the vintage Barada - he has the sculpt of one character (Barada), yet the color of another (Kithaba).

The vintage Hoth Rebel Trooper's sculpt is based on the EXACT same outfit as our most recent Hoth Rebel Trooper, but the colors are based on the Rebel Deck Officer.

The only way we can get a "true" modern equivalent is to have both of these guys incorrectly painted in the wrong colors like the vintage figures were.

Personally, I think the actual sculpt is more important, so, as far as I'm concerned, we have already have our equivalent of the vintage figure, but this is still a day one purchase.

I agree with you Glitch. This should take the place of the 80's original. Finally!

^

Hey, now that this is over, we can beg Hasbro for a Vintage carded, cleanly shaved/non wrapped headgear Hoth Rebel Trooper in vintage colors.

Only then will I be happy.

grin.gif

Love this figure! No facial hair or helmet straps dangling down! Finally! My only fear is that Hasbro will not stick him on the classic cardback, since the photo for the card was obviously the outdoor Hoth trooper.

Oh wow, was not expecting this one! Excellent looking figure all-around. Looks like they can utilize some of this figure for a new Hoth Luke, too. This was a nice surprise!

is it just me or that the Rebel Deck Officer figure looks a little anorexic? LOL

Darth_Brett said:
Oh wow, was not expecting this one! Excellent looking figure all-around. Looks like they can utilize some of this figure for a new Hoth Luke, too. This was a nice surprise!

+1
grin.gif

Since1978 said:
I'm sure there will be some of the hair splitter crowd that will argue that some of the differences need to be addressed (the same guys that talk about the unzipped jumpsuit Rebel Commando not being done yet).
The Rebel Commando is not hair splitting. It was based on a specific character and is just as much of a gap as the Mustached Bespin Guard and Hoth Commander or even the Nikto and Imp Dignitary (depending on how you look at it).

Does this figure fill the gap? Yes, because, like Glitch said, it was a Barada style error so we needed both a Trench Trooper and Deck Officer to fill it (just like we needed both Barada and Kithaba to fill that gap). Having said that, I wouldn't mind if they released one in the future without the scarf like the vintage figure had.

It looks like his hat is sculpted on, which is a little disappointing, but a great addition nonetheless.

Yeah, I think this will be one of those figures that I won't be able to leave on the pegs. (like the last Hoth Rebel Trooper, or the Endor Trooper).

Hope the head ball is about the same size as the HRT.

This figure looks great! I'm quite relieved they didn't give him a fu manchu or a mustache
grin.gif

I mentioned this in the Nominations thread, but a lot of us are going to need to change our votes since this guy was a nice surprise today!

so is this the guy Han chews out in Echo base?

What a surprise, he looks like a great figure to build up the Hoth forces in dioramas. What a surprise to see.

Finally!! This figure has been a long time needed and he looks to have been worth the wait. I'll take a good few of these for the echo base diorama.

And some say there isn't much left to do from TESB...What a great, cool surprise...

commandernarra said:
And some say there isn't much left to do from TESB...What a great, cool surprise...

Too true

SWEET! I cant wait to put him on the frozen tundra of Lambo....I mean Hoth!
grin.gif

Are the boots accurate? I didn't think any of the rebels in Echo Base wore regular boots. I swore they all wore the snow boots with the straps that wrapped around them.

Since1978 said:
I certainly think it does. I'm sure there will be some of the hair splitter crowd that will argue that some of the differences need to be addressed (the same guys that talk about the unzipped jumpsuit Rebel Commando not being done yet).

But as far as I'm concerned, this is a rebel deck officer, and it fits the bill for me - looks like I'm going to have to come up with another campaign (and I'm not sure for TESB what that will be yet)...

'78

good...glad it seems everyone agrees it gives us a modern version of the vintage figure...I would of had a cow if some were still complaining (a picky bunch, we are)

and it looks like all of your OT figure campaings need to be revised!

Looks like it's based on Cal Alder.

Tamizander Rey (Rebel Deck Officer)
Rey.JPG

Cal Alder
250px-Cal_alder.jpg

Back