Rank the Superhero TV shows that have come out (that you've seen)

Reaction score
I'm sure to miss something, but going to include what I've seen and what I plan on seeing. I'll probably rank later if this thread catches on... How would you rank Superhero shows you've seen? Are there others I should be aware of? Older shows that were awesome and superhero-ish?

List of shows that I'm aware of:
Smallville / Heroes / Alphas / Agents of SHIELD / Arrow / Flash / Legends of Tomorrow / Supergirl / Black Lightning / Gotham / Agent Carter / Daredevil / Jessica Jones / Luke Cage / Iron Fist / Punisher / Defenders / Titans / Cloak and Dagger / The Gifted / Legion / Runaways / The Umbrella Academy / Inhumans / Krypton

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but I'm not including animated stuff like Ninja Turtles, or all comic book stuff like Walking Dead, or old stuff like Six Million Dollar Man or not quite as old Lois and Clark.

**Try not to list down the page to make the list TOO long.

Reaction score
Flash is probably my favorite, followed by:
Agents of SHIELD
The Gifted
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Agent Carter
Greatest American Hero
70's Incredible Hulk
Legion
60's Batman

Then shows I'm iffy on:
Gotham - Very uneven but this season has been good
Heroes - First season was amazing, but after that...
Legends of Tomorrow - I just couldn't stick with it
Daredevil - It was way too dark, literally. They couldn't afford lighting? I gave up after about 4 eps.

And the one I wish I hadn't ever seen:
Inhumans

The older shows who had their charm but I only vaguely remember:
Wonder Woman
The Adventures of Superman
The Six-Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman

Reaction score
Agents of SHIELD just kept getting better in my opinion. Loved the Ghost Rider and Framework stuff and then that last season in the future was wrapped up nicely. Just well done.

I agree with you on Flash. Arrow had some highs and lows but fit with Flash well. Legends of Tomorrow was just poorly executed in my opinion. Still need to watch more Supergirl and Black Lightning to have an opinion on them. Supergirl started out rough in my opinion.

I disagree when it comes to the Netflix stuff. Daredevil is one of my favorite shows, right up there with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, and Defenders were nice additions but weren't quite up to the Daredevil standard.

I lost track of Heroes after season one, but always planned on going back to it... maybe not? I think if you liked The Gifted, you should watch Umbrella Academy and Runaways.

Reaction score
I would have to rank mine
1) Daredevil 2) Agents of SHIELD 3) Arrow/Flash 4) Runaways/Cloak & Dagger 5) The Gifted 6) Jessica Jones S1 7) Punisher S1
8) Heroes S1 9) Alphas 10) Luke Cage 11) Umbrella Academy 12) Defenders 13) Jessica Jones 14) Iron Fist
15) Legends of Tomorrow 16) Inhumans

Haven't seen enough to rank: Gotham, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Agent Carter, Titans, Legion

Realized I forgot to include Doom Patrol!! Really want to see that, but feel I should watch Titans first.

Reaction score
Of the ones I have seen:
1. Gotham
2. The Flash (current)
3. Agents of SHIELD (although it's gone downhill in recent seasons - will be interesting to see how the next season shapes up)
4. Batman (60's, seen in reruns)
5. The Flash (1990)
6. Wonder Woman (70's)
7. Supergirl (would be higher on the list, if not for all the SJW garbage they've ruined it with since last season)

I was terrified of the Hulk as a young child, or the series would be on the list, as I loved the three TV-movies from the late 80's/early 90's. I'm kinda' sorry I never gave Agent Carter a try, but I just didn't have time to watch it when it was on.

Reaction score
Watched almost al of them.. here's my favs
FLASH- Just love this show, it's fun, doesn't try and take itself too seriously.
Daredevil- Just so well done
Agents of Sheild- Enjoy Coulson in anything he's in.. otherwise this would be further down the line.
Arrow- throwing this in because for some reason this seems to be the one that got me back into modern Superhero shows
Gotham- It's decent, and I've always thought DC's streght is in it's villians which they have a LOT of in this show.

If we're including old school in order..
Incredible Hulk
60's/70's Batman and Robin
Wonder Woman
6 Million Dollar Man

Loved all these back when I was a kid.. and couldn't wait until they were on.

Reaction score
It looks like Gotham is one I have to make an effort to watch.

So no one is actually watching Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, or Umbrella Academy? Has anyone watched Titans and Doom Patrol? I've heard good things.

Reaction score
Just started binging Flash. Probably should have stopped at the end of season 1 since I can't imagine a show getting any better than that. Season 2 and 3 were pretty great as well imho.
Only watched a couple seasons of Arrow, but stiff find it a million times more palatable than the ham-fisted social commentary Supergirl.

Reaction score
This is tough. But considering I mostly stick to Marvel, here goes:

1) Daredevil
2) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
3) Luke Cage
4) Agent Carter
4) Jessica Jones
5) The Punisher
6) Runaways
7) The Defenders
8) Cloak & Dagger
9) Inhumans (couldn't even bring myself to finish -- and for this True Believer that's saying a LOT)

Reaction score
Netflix Daredevil takes the cake for me, my number one. Particularly Season 1 and 3. The Netflix Marvel stuff I (mostly) liked. I really found it to be in a league of its own. To be honest, I don't like a lot of live-action superhero shows. They always seem so cheap and corny to me. I never cared for the WB/CW stuff. It always came off, to me, as way too teenie-bopper melodrama. I'm a hypocrite though because I do like the '66 Batman, which is unbelievably corny, but it's intentionally corny...so I sort of can go with it. I have mixed emotions on Gotham. Some things I find brilliant, other things I found downright terrible. I was a big fan of Heroes...until the writers strike hit. So to me, Heroes is pretty much just season 1. I didn't like Titans at all, it tried too hard to be edgy, but I do, however, think Doom Patrol is the best live-action DC property in years. It's better than the current DC movies.

Reaction score
There's honestly too nay to list now days. Also seems that they lose their steam after couple seasons.
I recently been watching that Deadly Class, though not sure it classifies in this genre.

Reaction score
I recently started watching the Ambrell Academy series. I really liked this show. It seems to me that everyone is a little tired of the typical superheroes. Well, these guys aren't typical superheroes. Rather, they are superheroes with problems in the family, with deep childhood injuries and they are obliged to save the world. I watch series 6 and for now I really like this series.

Reaction score
I don't think people are tiring of Superheroes, at least not yet. But I do think they are tiring of certain characters being changed just to suit a small subgroup who likely won't even watch the movie in the first place.

Reaction score
I don't think people are tiring of Superheroes, at least not yet. But I do think they are tiring of certain characters being changed just to suit a small subgroup who likely won't even watch the movie in the first place.
I agree. People have been saying superhero media is a fad since the Dark Knight, arguably earlier then that. Perhaps once it was true, think the Reeve Superman film era of the original WB Batman era. The problem with those films (despite myself even loving some) was that that was a time when source material was very loosely used and studios didn't take the subject matter all that seriously beyond simply a quick toy cash grab. They were viewed more as live-action cartoons as opposed to potential dramas. So the scripts weren't as in-depth as perhaps today. I think the superhero genre has not only reached its (thus far) peak but maintained its longevity for a decade and a half because it's sort of a Renaissance of superhero film. That is NOT to say they aren't bad ones still being made today, but over-all the quality seems to have soared. They are being done (on average) with more care and concern, they are attempting (on average) to be more faithful to the comics of yore, and that's the key. Superheroes have an advantage in diversity, especially genre. Just because it's a superhero story doesn't mean thematically or tonally they're all the same. Something like Star Wars will always be, at core, a space adventure. Something like the Tolkien universe will always be high fantasy. Superheroes span countless sub-genres. Antman is a heist movie or Winter Soldier is a political thriller, a character like Black Panther or Thor is nothing like Dr. Strange or Starlord, and that's where the secret lies: both in creating a combined universe they all can naturally share...but also making sure they're all uniquely different. They might all be superheroes, but they're not all the same. That doesn't get stale. That keeps the freshness, you destroy the idea of superhero fatigue when you have your audience saying "I've never seen THAT done with a superhero before" during practically every movie. I mean we have characters so obscure we truly never even thought them possible to be in live-action, take Guardians or Doom Patrol, and they're critically praised or household names now, sometimes both. It goes to show, what matters most is in the writing...and they're actually putting thought behind these films these days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
to this day I still feel that the first two Superman Movies were great! But I honestly don't know WTF happened with 3 and 4. Even as a kid I felt that something was off, but I gave it a pass. For the longest time I waited and waited for WB to right those wrongs, and they almost did with Returns. While a decent Movie it still had some issues. Then came Snyderverse, and MoS being okay. But OMG I don't know which is worse BvS/JL, or Superman 3 & 4. :wtf:

I think the BS going on with current DC and X-Men Films is what's behind the animosity towards Comic Movies.

I couldn't believe they actually did a Doom Patrol series. lol
Though in this new era of Streaming, maybe more risks will be taken on shows?

Reaction score
to this day I still feel that the first two Superman Movies were great! But I honestly don't know WTF happened with 3 and 4. Even as a kid I felt that something was off, but I gave it a pass. For the longest time I waited and waited for WB to right those wrongs, and they almost did with Returns. While a decent Movie it still had some issues. Then came Snyderverse, and MoS being okay. But OMG I don't know which is worse BvS/JL, or Superman 3 & 4. :wtf:

I think the BS going on with current DC and X-Men Films is what's behind the animosity towards Comic Movies.

I couldn't believe they actually did a Doom Patrol series. lol
Though in this new era of Streaming, maybe more risks will be taken on shows?
Oh dude, to this day I still adore Superman 1-2 and Batman 1989. I think they're the best examples of the bygone era of mainstream superhero films. I do really enjoy some of the more forgotten too, particularly when the 90's seem to go through this surge of pulp character films like the Rocketeer and, I'll confess, I like The Shadow; imperfections and all. In some ways I very much so like Batman Returns, but in other ways I don't at all. I am so conflicted on it. Some scenes I find brilliant, others I found downright silly. I always argued that Returns was too much Burton and not enough Batman, if you get my meaning.

Now the thing is though, one thing that, around the era of the Nolan Batman film universe, modern comics films forgot...was they forgot they were comics. For as much as I DO love the Nolan Batman trilogy, I always had one major nitpick. It's somewhat controversial...but for me, to make an analogy to my Burton assessment, Nolan's Batman may be too much real world and not enough Batman. I love the Dark Knight, adore it, I think it's the best of the trilogy. It's, however, not my favorite for that very reason; it's almost too real. Well...as real as a superhero CAN be, I mean. Hah! It's joyless. It's artistically genius, a masterpiece, but it's not a movie I can just pop in any time. It's too heavy, too depressing. It's a film I have to be in the mood to watch, like Shawshank Redemption or Schindlers List. Now by no means is it AS heavy as those, but it's basically the superhero equivalent of those. Know what I mean? I just found myself, at moments, missing cartoonish things (but not too cartoonish) like Joker with a "BANG" gun or something or catwoman having a whip.

But what it seemed to cause was this period of overly bleak superhero films. That works for Batman because the character and universe is, largely, grim and gritty. But does it work for Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, even Superman? They're what Snyder did, too dark. I actually will take Batman Forever and Batman and Robin over BvS. At least they're entertainingly bad, BvS. IMO is just bad bad. BvS was the first movie I walked out of not disappointed but actually palpably angry. What I find now is that they found a happy medium between too realistic and too cartoonish...and that's become most the contemporary Marvel movies. They're a blend of lighthearted fun mixed with actual consequences and drama in the story itself.

Dude ME TOO! Never in a million years did I expect Doom Patrol ANYTHING! Have you seen it? It's IMO the best thing DC live-action in years. It gives me hope for Moon Knight after all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to change my rankings to move Umbrella Academy up the list now that I've finished it. It is really done well and the best thing I can say about any show is that it left me really wanting more.

I think the next show I'm going to tackle is Titans, mainly because I find it difficult to start a series that I'm so far behind on like Gotham. I keep telling myself I need to watch Supernatural, but that one has like 14 seasons now???

100% with you on Superman 1 and 2 and Batman 1989. Really felt like Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer were not used quite right in Batman Returns. I can't imagine a better casting.

Anyone watch the UK superhero show Misfits? Any others that are off my radar?

Reaction score
I have to change my rankings to move Umbrella Academy up the list now that I've finished it. It is really done well and the best thing I can say about any show is that it left me really wanting more.

I think the next show I'm going to tackle is Titans, mainly because I find it difficult to start a series that I'm so far behind on like Gotham. I keep telling myself I need to watch Supernatural, but that one has like 14 seasons now???

100% with you on Superman 1 and 2 and Batman 1989. Really felt like Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer were not used quite right in Batman Returns. I can't imagine a better casting.

Anyone watch the UK superhero show Misfits? Any others that are off my radar?
Actually I did watch Misfits and mostly really enjoyed it, check it out.

Reaction score
Finished Titans and I thought it was interesting. I thought I would hate their take on Starfire, but somehow she works pretty well and I found myself liking the actress playing her. A happy surprise. Love the fact that Wonder Girl, Jason Todd, and Doom Patrol showed up.

Moving on to Doom Patrol and pretty excited about it. Hopefully I can finish that and start on some Gotham before something new comes out :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to watch Titans. Been hearing good things. It also cool that Doom patrol shows up in it, guessing tie-ins?good luck on Gotham, that's 5 years of catching up!

Reaction score
Doom Patrol is pretty much bat-s*** crazy but it's because of that unexpected and unpredictability that I find it fascinating. There is something off-putting about the show that I can't quite put my finger on, but I am really enjoying it. Haven't had a lot of time to watch, so probably won't be done with this until the end of the summer, but It's going steadily up my list of favorite superhero stories.

Jessica Jones season 3 just came out and I watched episode one. These Neflix shows all feel like they made them thinking they would have 20 seasons. S L O W ... I hope it picks up.

Reaction score
Doom Patrol was amazing and bizarre. Absolutely fabulous and unique (which is sorely missing on TV and movies).

Also since I kinda forgot about this post until the recent upgrade... saw 'The Boys'!!

Gotta redo my ranks as that was fantastic also. A really cool, current take on the superhero genre.

Reaction score
anyone watching Batwoman? I'm curious as to your thoughts. I've watched the 1st 3 episodes and I kinda like what I see... I wonder where the show is going to go from here and if we will actually see any A list villains from Batman's rogue gallery. there has already been mention of the Riddler so far but I'd love to see Batwoman face off against the Joker or even Two Face.

Reaction score
Have not seen Batwoman yet. Currently working on Titans season 2.

Reaction score
Honestly, I've never followed kate kane. But I can say that the show is a very watered down version of a character I do know a bit about. So it feels kind of weird watching essentially a de-fanged version. I also don't care for the focus on her sister as a main antagonist, it's gone on far too long IMO.

I get what they're trying to do, give her backstory and a reason to put on the cape in the place of real Batman. Since it's a CW show I expect more drama than action, so I'm not surprised there's only 10 minutes of it in each episode. They've also included Arrow's type of family drama.
The potential for a very different CW Hero show was there, and they missed it. The show could have more resembled Arrow's 1st & 2nd Season of dark gritty violence, which would have suited kane's character. But they opted to do something else.

And probably had to if it were to fit in with the others, especially Supergirl and Flash. The two goody two shoes of the CWDC team.
Actually these shows have been slipping the last season or two. And if John doesn't put on an emerald ring by the end of Arrow, I'me done!. lol
Heck, I'd watch a Green Lantern show for real!

I'm also on Titans S2, while it too has some issues. I like the grittier feel.

Reaction score
I've actually lost track of the Flash/Arrowverse... I really enjoyed it but Supergirl and Legends just aren't very good. I have to go back and see what I've missed because I want to see the Crisis stuff that's coming (is it out?). Not sure how Batwoman and Black Lightning figure in... do they? I just lost interest when other stuff was coming out.

Reaction score
I'm still in on the CW shows except Arrow. It looks like the crossover will involve all 5 current shows, even though Black Lightning has never been connected to another CW universe. The shows are fine for what they are. I prefer my superheroes more goody two-shoes than most, so they work for me.

I've picked up Watchmen too, which is amazing. I couldn't really put it in the superhero genre just yet. It's more of a sci-fi/cop drama with masked vigilantes.

Reaction score
I'm still in on the CW shows except Arrow. It looks like the crossover will involve all 5 current shows, even though Black Lightning has never been connected to another CW universe. The shows are fine for what they are. I prefer my superheroes more goody two-shoes than most, so they work for me.

I've picked up Watchmen too, which is amazing. I couldn't really put it in the superhero genre just yet. It's more of a sci-fi/cop drama with masked vigilantes.
I've seen some news about Watchmen and I love when there is a really deep background for a story and 'colorful' characters. I think that's a show I'll probably like a lot as well. I really liked the movie, but I know it's got a rather middle of the road rating from a lot of people.