Rangers of the New Republic

GNT

Reaction score
They’ve announced a new show called Rangers of the New Republic.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little worried about the QC on some of the upcoming shows. We'll of course have to see. Mandalorian was a very specific sort of success and is a very particular kind of show in a very particular kind of context. It's accessible to casual audiences (badass western space knight babysits adorable alien child) but it also has a lot of buzz because of the fan candy it is able to bring to the live action table for the first time. It doesn't take much talent on the scriptwriters part, simply drop a Thrawn here, a darksaber there, or grab a fan favorite character to pop in for a howdy do. This can only work for so long before people will intuit the trick and stop caring. Too much content might water down these moments. But who knows! Good writing is good writing and if they can nab inspired creators then we're in for a treat.

Reaction score
I wonder if Ming-Na Wen will be joining this show. Her and Cara Dune were kind of left behind in the recent episode.

Reaction score
Maybe Chuck Norris will be in it!

Seriosuly, it sounds fun, like it’ll have a lot of action. I’m into it!

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little worried about the QC on some of the upcoming shows. We'll of course have to see. Mandalorian was a very specific sort of success and is a very particular kind of show in a very particular kind of context. It's accessible to casual audiences (badass western space knight babysits adorable alien child) but it also has a lot of buzz because of the fan candy it is able to bring to the live action table for the first time. It doesn't take much talent on the scriptwriters part, simply drop a Thrawn here, a darksaber there, or grab a fan favorite character to pop in for a howdy do. This can only work for so long before people will intuit the trick and stop caring. Too much content might water down these moments. But who knows! Good writing is good writing and if they can nab inspired creators then we're in for a treat.
The MCU seems to have having a good run. I'm getting a little burnt out on it myself but over 20 movies is nothing to scoff at. If this is half as successful as that then I'll be happy.

Reaction score
I'm interested in the concept of this show. If we at least get some cool figures and vehicles to go with it, I'll be happy.

Reaction score
Maybe they just can stream excerpts from “Space Precinct” and hope that people don’t notice...!
1613504190856.gif

Reaction score
Rangers of the New Republic...created by Gerry Anderson!
1613504341141.gif

Reaction score
So will this show be changed to the new Luke Skywalker one or what?

Reaction score
The question is how far along they were on the development. Was Cara supposed to be the main lead? I'm sure they could easily replace the Cara character with a different female character because the show hasn't started. The new character could still be from Alderaan if necessary.

Is this supposed to happen before the Mando, around the same time, or after?

Reaction score
Maybe Cara's sister Clara, who also served as a rebel jump trooper, arrives to join the group. She has some extra motivation because the remenants of the Empire has caught up with Cara and assassinated her. In her investigation of the murder she discovers that one of the neighbors had reported on her because they had been taught to fear and hate the rebels. (smiley face)

Reaction score
I don't know anything for sure, but word going around was that the show was to be centered around the Cara Dune character along with few others that appeared in The Mandalorian seasons 1 or 2 as a spinoff. But seems Disney is not looking to recast the character in any fashion and rumors that Jon Favreau is not interested in working on the project without this character in it. So most likely outcome is the show will be discarded and something else take its place. I had heard there may be a show built around Luke Skywalker. But he could just be planned to appear more in these others already mentioned.

Reaction score
I honestly don't know who at LFL thinks it's good idea to center a show around the Dune character, I don't know if I've ever seen some one that deliver such flat a performance. I get that she has her fans as a fighter turned actress but that doesn't mean she has what it takes to lead a cast, she gets by just fine as a secondary character for a reason. So surely more talented actors were also involved to round out the show.

Reaction score
I figured it was a team up too made up of mostly faces we've seen already like Greef Carga and such. But if Andor can get a show then by all means they could give Cara Dune one. It was probably as much about the popularity of The Mandalorian-verse than any one character. But if Favreau is backing away then its over.

Reaction score
I have said this before in ‘The Mandalorian’ section of the Forum that I think that recasting Cara Dune would be a bad idea because she isn’t from Gallifrey & that she should be given a hero death on Camera. I also said that they should create a new Character in her honour like Kris Munroe from ‘Charlie’s Angels, why Captain Troy (Boxey) & Lieutenant Dillon created for Galactica:1980 because Richard Hatch didn’t like the changes that the Network demanded for the 2nd season of Battlestar Galactica.

Now rumours say that Jon Favreau is not interested in working on the project without Cara Dune & he wants to recast the Character. This is making me rethink the situation & there is a way to do that, but it is bringing back a bad memory.

One of the Network demands for the 2nd season of Battlestar Galactica was the deaths many of the cast including Athena, but Glen A. Larson wanted to keep Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Boxey, Cassiopeia & Athena as the main family of the show. The Network said that the only way that they would be allowed that was to get rid of Maren Jensen because she was nice to look at but couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag, they wanted Athena recast using someone from ‘Buck Rogers’, I can’t remember who.

So, what was going to happen in the first episode of Season Two was something like this, the Galactica was engage in a battle against Cylons, a Raider would strike the bridge of the Galactica, killing Tigh & badly wounding Athena. Athena would be rush to the Life Station to be operated on, after the operation the new actress would become Athena, she would carry a scar on her face to highlight the injuries she receives during the battle that would kill so many of friends including Sheba, this storyline was one of the reason why Richard Hatch turns his back on Season Two of Battlestar Galactica.

Reaction score
I honestly don't know who at LFL thinks it's good idea to center a show around the Dune character, I don't know if I've ever seen some one that deliver such flat a performance. I get that she has her fans as a fighter turned actress but that doesn't mean she has what it takes to lead a cast, she gets by just fine as a secondary character for a reason. So surely more talented actors were also involved to round out the show.
This is why I'd be fine with them recasting the character. I think she was fine as a secondary character, but as a lead, I'm not sure she's got the acting chops.

Reaction score
Now rumours say that Jon Favreau is not interested in working on the project without Cara Dune & he wants to recast the Character. This is making me rethink the situation & there is a way to do that, but it is bringing back a bad memory.
I've heard he does NOT want the character to be recast and is not interested in the project unless Gina is a part of it. And we all know that's not happening so that's why I believe this show is done and something else will fill the slot.

Reaction score
Or someone else could step in as show runner, though that seems remote given the fact Cara was his character. And he certainly saw something in Gina acting wise that I and many others don't, so if he created a spinoff for that character I don't think he would want to be involved with it anymore if said character wasn't in it. As well as the actress he chose for the role. I wasn't ever interested in this show if it was going to center on her anyways, I do feel bad for those who were looking forward to it though because I would feel the same way if this happened to something I was looking forward to.

I think it likely best to move on and do something different for now and possibly rethink the show in a few years.

Reaction score
That's certainly possible as she was a big deal in Rebels version of the Rebellion, and honestly I wouldn't mind a show with her as the lead. The trouble is that I think her character will be in the Ahsoka show and possibly be too busy with that story to be a Galactic Ranger. Another issue would likely be the Lekku in live action the same way it was difficult for Ahsoka, so I'm not sure they want a lead to have such cumbersome makeup.

And in case you hadn't noticed they seem to favor Human characters in GFFA.

But like you said we can dream.

Reaction score
I actually like Hera, though I hate the Rebels series. To me, she was what the series was supposed to be about, average galatic citizen fighting against tyranny. I'd prfer they made up a new character because I'm not too keen on the Filoniverse expanding any more than it has in the live action realm.

Reaction score
Given the time frame if they add Hera then they have to include her kid. (Which isn't a bad thing but its problematic for a show that might have 1+ years between seasons. Especially if they had plans for the character in the animated universe.

Reaction score
Since Filoni didn't get the greenlight on the Rebels sequel i suspect that he will try to incorporate those characters more and more into whatever current media they are doing. hence Ahsoka in Mando etc.

Hera I don't mind in a show about the New republic, including her Son though opens up "other" storylines that likely belong in a show about "Jedi". If in fact he inherits any of that aspect from his father the same way Luke did. I mean not every Jedi has Force potential offspring but it seems to be the case in the Skywalker lineage. I personally wouldn't mind that story either but it seems a lot of people are against Child characters.

Reaction score
It feels like Lucasfilm has been looking for ways to get Hera more into the story over the years, but just hasn’t decided to make it too official. I suspect she’ll have to show up now and again in these live-action shows.

Reaction score
Filoni will come up with an off-shoot Not-Jedi Force User Academy led by Ahsoka and Hera's kid and they'll be the Jedi to take on Thrawn.