Range Trooper - VC128

Reaction score
Hi, just getting back into TVC collecting, so trying to catch up on news. Will this Range Trooper be different from the one Hasbro just released as part of the "Solo" line? In other words, the "Solo" version is clearly 5-POA, but the TVC figure will be super-articulated, correct?

Thanks.
yes, sa version with articulation. Unlike the 6 inch the fur collar will be plastic like the 5poa release.

Reaction score
I am probably going to be waiting for the Vintage collection for these figures then the basic ones. Mimbin Trooper definitely.

Reaction score
I have seen so many basic figures hit clearance that it is hard for me to buy them anymore. I would much rather pay more for TVC quality and then fill in the background with clearance basics.

Reaction score
TVC's only popped up once and at Target back during Force Friday, I cleaned the shelf of them. No Walmart near me ever got any in. So I don't suspect SA figures to be very common and probably peg warmers like Rey and Kylo's again. Maybe Walmart is waiting probably for around May 4th or 6th.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The first wave of the new TVC was hitting Walmarts near me this morning. They are a little late to the game, so we will see how fast their stock moves.

Reaction score
This figure should have been part of wave 1. Wave 1 should have been a Solo-film wave and not what Hasbro gave us. Shame on Hasbro for making us wait for the good figures until later.

Reaction score
The 5poa Range Trooper is pretty good for what it is, but I only buy these type of crappy articulation salt shakers often for parts and/or gear and sell what I don't want.

Reaction score
This figure should have been part of wave 1. Wave 1 should have been a Solo-film wave and not what Hasbro gave us. Shame on Hasbro for making us wait for the good figures until later.
Plus 100!

Right on man, you tell it! I'm so beyond not enthused with W1, not one figure was worthy enough for me to buy...
The HRT is a nice army builder, but I already got plenty the first time. Though I may still pick up one or two if the price is right. The others though, OMG beyond horrid.

Solo releases in 6 weeks, and when will we actually see the SA counterparts in stores? I'd wager close to Christmas...

Reaction score
They did the same thing for Wal-Mart's 3 3/4 inch black series exclusives. It's like Hasbro is actively trying to sabotage their 3 3/4 inch articulated figures to justify their 5 poa pos line.

Reaction score
This is a fantastic Imperial Trooper design. I will get at least one of these figures, and possibly two. Really like the look here; it's definitely got the ESB Snowtrooper/Clonetrooper "vibe", but still has a unique appearance. The hefty boots area nice touch, and obviously serve a specific function - based on the Troopers' scene in the Solo trailer.

You could also ask the question of why Snowtroopers weren't just regular Stormtroopers. Since Stormtrooper armor is designed to allow the wearer to survive for a limited time in the vacuum of space and the vacuum of space is easily a few hundred degrees colder than the coldest day on Hoth. So why not just have regular Stormtroopers invading the Rebel base on Hoth? For the same reason that these Range Troopers exist: to sell more action figures!
The ESB Snowtrooper is my favorite Imperial Trooper design from any of the SW films. And, I do think there is an "in universe" explanation for the different armor:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snowtrooper_armor

That being said, I agree that selling more toys is part/much of?! the reason for so many different variations of the Imperial Trooper armor. However, I like these variations - they're part of what makes SW so great. And, if all we saw were Stormtroopers in the OT, the sequel films (ESB, ROTJ) would have been a lot more bland...from a visual stand-point.

One of the reasons I felt the PT was somewhat bland was that the Clone-troopers in AOTC & ROTS looked similar (other than the paint jobs on their armor). The exception was the purple Galactic Marine - which coincidentally bore a resemblance to my favorite Trooper design:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Marines/Legends

Last edited:
Reaction score
complete disappointment. What were they going for with this trooper. And why in the hell do all the new movies have all these little thingamajigs and doohickeys all over the weapons now. They made them stupid looking. I don't get it. Especially the big ol mechanical moon boots. WTF.
It's a variation on a theme and best get used to it. These Star Wars movies will never stop being made, there will always be stormtroopers, and they're not going just sell OT stormtroopers forever. If you hate this guy don't worry, the next ST variation is only one movie away.

All that said, I really like this guy, put me down for one!

Reaction score
I love the design of this guy, simply because it reminds me of the Snow Serpents from G.I. Joe, heh. I haven't bought many items from the ST and standalone films, but will for sure get a few of this one.

Reaction score
I'm going to return the two damaged 5poa ones I purchased in haste, and wait for the VC version. I didn't know he was planned for the vc line at the time.

Reaction score
Probably. I wasn't too keen on this look at first but I might bite when I see them in stores. I'm working on building a proper Imperial Army.

Reaction score
Should've been out back in May. Hasbro needs to get their game right, and better synchronization.

Reaction score
It's a variation on a theme and best get used to it. These Star Wars movies will never stop being made, there will always be stormtroopers, and they're not going just sell OT stormtroopers forever. If you hate this guy don't worry, the next ST variation is only one movie away.

All that said, I really like this guy, put me down for one!
I don't mind new troopers, even though this guy lacks in imagination. They can make as many movies as they like......they're gonna suck ***** anyway. I don't collect anything from the ST, and these fan film troopers lack in that the OT did.

Reaction score
I actually really like this guy, because he is such a new design. I’ll buy two.

Reaction score
I love the design of this guy, simply because it reminds me of the Snow Serpents from G.I. Joe, heh.
LOL, I thought I was the only one who thought that. But it's a shame though the boots aren't removable (I think), I'm willing to have them try on some Cobra issue snowshoes for a search and destroy hiking mission. BTW, that Cobra Ice Cutter makes for a neat mini-rig vehicle. :D

Reaction score
I thought something about these looked familiar. They really do look alot like the old Snow Serpents. I might have to get that cardboard playset with the train to go with the 25th Anniversary Joes instead of Star Wars now lol.

Reaction score
I snagged this guy today at Walmart in Anderson, SC. Stunning figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Look at that articulation. This figure should have been in Wave 1 of TVC!!!!

Reaction score
Went on ahead and preordered this one at Dorkside. Keep getting beat to the good stuff at Walmart, and I'm sure he'll ship in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Went on ahead and preordered this one at Dorkside. Keep getting beat to the good stuff at Walmart, and I'm sure he'll ship in a few weeks.
Do you have a link? I've been checking their site and haven't seen it, still don't see it as of this morning.

Reaction score
Ahhh, now it's there. Thank you! November now? I'll probably pass and hope to find it soon. I already cancelled my pre-order for W2 since I found the wave on Saturday.

Reaction score
I was delighted to find Wave three in central Texas at one of my Wal-Marts. Scooped up every figure besides the repacks and here are my thoughts on this particular figure if any one cares to have a quick read through.

No bubble issues at all. All figures were basically case fresh, luck be with me this afternoon.

The Range Trooper is pretty good. Being the picky Star Wars fan that I am though, it has the same issues I always rant about. Soft goods would help make this figure so much better. A cloth skirt would make the leg articulation stand out, ha ha, much better. I can easily see something like 'snow bunny' Padme from the initial Clone Wars series. Also a faux fur patch around the collar area would help with the shoulder articulation as well, much like Enfys Nest.

All in all, the figure is an excellent sculpt, but soft goods would help it out a lot in my opinion.

Reaction score
With all the new VC figures I got last week (I actually can't believe I just said that) I still haven't gotten around the opening the 2 of these that I got.

I like to take time to appreciate new figures and have them on my desk to fiddle around with and since I added VC Han, VC Nest and the small army of Tank Drivers to occupy my Hover Tank I'm actually overloaded lol. Not to mention I added another Deathtrooper to my ranks so I took those out of storage and set up a little display with Thrawn flanked by a squad.

I was, as crazy as this sounds, looking forward to a month or so of having Wave 2 be "new" before Wave 3 hit in November.

Don't get me wrong I'm elated that we have Wave 2 AND 3 out now after of seeing pegwarming Wave 1 Sequel Trilogy junk for months...I'm just gonna keep these fantastic Range Troopers MOC for a little while. I opened Dr. "Fan's Choice LOL" Aphra and promptly but it in a baggie and tossed it in a storage bin after about 20 minutes though.

Reaction score
I broke my own rule and got two of this figure. My "rule" was that I was only going to collect 6" figures from the Solo movie.

It's a nice figure. I like the 6" version better. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the design, and of most of the designs from that film.

Reaction score
This figure has some beautiful deco & detailing as well...shame they were blink n miss in the movie.

Reaction score
After being luke-warm on the design of these guys, so much so that I returned the 5POA range trooper I bought when the line first debuted in the spring, I'm surprised to say he's one of my favorites from the line now (the VC version, obviously). Definitely could have benefited from soft goods though.

Obijuan, I actually had the same thought regarding snow bunny Padme, I even started glancing over auction of her wondering about dicing her cloak up for a custom!

Reaction score
If there was ever a 3 3/4 figure that needed ankle rocker joints it's this one.