R5-d23

Reaction score
Alright, an R5! Looks pretty neat, honestly. I don't think I like it as much as the "Pepsi" R4 from last year, but still a definite pickup! Any news on release date?

Last edited:

pod

Reaction score
Should have used that one from the CW that was just like the green R5 in the 4pack, but white and blue. Very similar to this one, but on screen.

Reaction score
An R5 astromech with a jaunty little wizard's hat on it... I can see where that's going. Also, it should be entertaining kids at their birthday parties or college students on Spring Break or even weddings or bar mitzvahs.

Reaction score
Still missing last years D23, hopefully I will be more on the ball with getting this one, I like the color scheme on this one

Reaction score
Hopefully the dots in the eyes will actually line up with the R5 sculpt on this time, instead of one up, one down & one to the left etc.

Reaction score
just got one off ebay... best offer $24 and change-- shipped...fingers crossed awaiting arrival

Reaction score
I grabbed one off eBay this morning for $25 shipped. I'm fairly sure that was what I paid for the last d23 droid.

Reaction score
This still baffles me. We have numerous people paying $25 for a figure, yet they can't figure out how to sell these themselves and keep that profit?
Do they not have the resources to sell these online. lol

Reaction score
well it really doesn't effect Disney park store that sold it in the 1st place. If they sell 100, they make their reg profit regardless if all 100 or 47 of the 100 get flipped on ebay. Furthermore, those sold for under 25.00, there isn't much profit really. If bought at park w/o any type of discount, they spent what 13, well say 14 bucks w/ tax, take that off 25 and there's 11 left. But of the 11, $1 goes to paypal, 2.50 to ebay, 1st class upsp shipping average $4 so that leaves what...$3.50 profit. Most people leave at least that at a restaurant for tip on a $20 plus tax meal, plus I get ebay points for buying had almost $4 ebay points so it cost me just over $20 shipped) so ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKLhbirSAM

Reaction score
yeah I broke down this morning and picked up the R5-23 off ebay for 25 shipped.

This is pretty much what I pay for the Disney Exclusives if I cant find them on the shop disney app

Reaction score
$25 haha! You guys want to try living in Europe and paying for one of these fellas :'(

Reaction score
Disney likely has a smaller production run on these just like the last d23 droid since it's only sold at the one park just for d23. So they may not have desire to sell online to keep it more of an exclusive to d23 expo.

However, I may not fully understand what you meant by "they (assuming meaning Disney) can't figure out how to sell these themselves and keep that profit?" Are you wondering why Disney doesn't jack up the price to sell thru outlet other than the expo?

As I commented, Disney sold it at the expo and made $$, which was their goal. It was the buyer at the expo that chose to resell for potential profit..not disney

Reaction score
I get that they have an MSRP they're comfortable with. But if it means making it available to everyone by simply increasing the price a few notches, why not do so instead of leaving it up to "others" to sell on ebay etc. While I do recognize it as a courtesy by some who do this so that people w/o a Disney store close can get them. And as cool as these BAD's are, they just aren't quite worth $25 IMO. A few things need to be improved before I start laying down that kind of cash for them.

My bigger side point is if so many people don't mind paying this amount, why is Hasbro's basic line in so much trouble? Seems to me they could make a premium line available online and charge a higher price.

Reaction score
I believe their point is they, ie disney, is keeping it a park excl. to encourage people to come to the expo. If they opened up doors for outside sales, then they could in time lose expo ticket sales etc.
As far as a premium Hasbro line, it may or may not work. Yes there are a few folks that'll but everyone they offer, but not every collector will shell out the $$ for every fig. However having the number of $25 figures countable on one hand per year is more acceptable to most collectors than a full line of 30, 40 or 50 per year. Grant it the BADs can get costly if u want all or at least 1 for each head/dome variant, but keeping an eye on ebay one can get them reasonable prices. All my protocol BADs cost no more than the wm tbs 4" or final tie pilot carded tbs. Except for the 1 I got w/ a case.
So Disney did what they set out to do, sell these droids in park only. Now having said that, if Disney offered these off park grounds like mall stores, online, trade from my trade list, etc would I be happy? Hell yeah. But It is what it is and I'm good with it

Last edited:
Reaction score
got my shipping notice thru ebay. now back to completing my protocol BADs...5 to go

Reaction score
I got mine today, super fast! I really like the packaging on this one.

BTW some of the Aurebesh reads (from top to bottom):

"Patriot"
"Work"
"Build Tie"
"Latest in Defense"
"Fleet System"

I'd love to know what the artist's context was for the artwork on this.

Reaction score
So is this available via the App or Phone? I'd have thought if there still some left after the event, that they would have added it to the app. But i haven't seen it.

Reaction score
Lovely little chap! Pleased to add him to my collection, despite the sphincter-tightening costs of acquiring him as a UK resident.

ZX3

Reaction score
Is there an exclusive droid planned for the D23 Expo 2019? It would be kind of disappointing if they didn't do one this year.

Reaction score
It sure would be nice, especially since Galaxy's Edge just opened too. I'm actually going to D23 so we'll find out soon enough.

Reaction score
lol

In the post weren't Droid reveals for D23 made prior to the event? So there is technically still time.

I have a feeling that any Droid done these days would be more in line with the current media though, and I haven't really been a big fan of the designs so far.

It's interesting that they sent me an email invite for this event, but everything to do with Saturday was already sold out!