R2-D2 w/Hidden Gadgets - No.8

Reaction score
Re: CW: R2-D2

I don't buy alot of figures these days, but I've always gravitated towards the stylized figs. For some reason I really like this Artoo. I'll prob pick one up.

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
So R2 has guns now? Not a good sign.
As if rockets weren't bad enough, now he has frickin' guns. Too much, Clone Wars. Waaay too much.

Reaction score

Haaaaa, an R2 with guns, this is a joke rite, anyways whatever....

Reaction score

Rune_Haako said:
They're not guns, ones a zapper or sprayer, the others an arm.
ditto, those are the usual accessories. I think we can expect quite a few R2 variants in this new line as he'll probably make use of a few new ones in the series i believe.

Reaction score

12 years later, Hasbro has unveiled the infamous Attack R2-D2. I actually like this one the best so far. As long as the rockets and zappers can be removed/covered, I'll pick one up.

Reaction score

I actually think this stylized Artoo will look like a cool stand alone novelty item, but if he has as many problems with putting away his weapons like the Saga Artoo did (the one with the twisty head that closed the little rocket compartments), I'll probably pass.

Reaction score

I kinda like this one, it might be the only one I get. It's unfortunate these are all animated.

Reaction score

M_Kunst said:
CantThinkOfAName said:
sbarrett4 said:
12 years later, Hasbro has unveiled the infamous Attack R2-D2.
Quite possibly the ONLY thing that came to mind.
Hilarious! I totally ofrgot about that. Wasn't there a 3PO as well?
that is what I was thinking too when I saw this...

I wouldn't mind seeing an attack protocol droid...as long as it is the one that is pictured on the cover of an issue from the Dark Horse Droids comic book series from the mid 90s. I forget the actual issue number...

Reaction score

People are now assuming a Computer interface tool and a torch are weapons now?

Reaction score

Ow! Pay attention to what you're doing!

I'm totally buying that.

Reaction score

Hmmm "Fembot" R2-D2!

Not sold on the look of this animated style line, I wish Hasbro would have just released realistic styled figures. While R2 doesn't look too bad I am cringing at that Grievous and Yoda.

Reaction score

tarcanes92 said:
M_Kunst said:
CantThinkOfAName said:
sbarrett4 said:
12 years later, Hasbro has unveiled the infamous Attack R2-D2.
Quite possibly the ONLY thing that came to mind.
Hilarious! I totally ofrgot about that. Wasn't there a 3PO as well?
that is what I was thinking too when I saw this...

I wouldn't mind seeing an attack protocol droid...as long as it is the one that is pictured on the cover of an issue from the Dark Horse Droids comic book series from the mid 90s. I forget the actual issue number...
I CALLED IT!!!!

He is actually coming out.... C-3PX

http://cgi.denpetersen.com/YAK1/viewtopic.php?t=2648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

and from wikipedia, it was Star Wars Droids: The Kalarba Adventures 3

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Droids:_The_Kalarba_Adventures_3

GNT

Reaction score
Re: R2-D2

Not to bad, R2 only looks animated in the head, the rest of him looks pretty normal IMO.

Reaction score
Re: R2-D2 - No.8

I'm not planning on getting this line, but I may at least pick up R2. Really well done, I think. Opening hatches, flip out claw, removable middle leg, sensorscope in the dome, some sort of cable thing, removable leg jets ... Hasbro crammed a lot into him, and I hope they start doing the same with "realistic" style astros.

Reaction score

I really like R2s packaging and I now want to see what it says about him.I will certainly get this one and I agree that he does look very well made. I think that Hasbro put quite a lot of effort into this R2-D2 and , in my opinion, he looks like the best one yet! I'm really looking forward to seeing C-3PO in animated style now.

Reaction score

Yep, my son likes R2-D2 so it will be a purchase for me. Yeah, I like it.

Reaction score

This may be the only Clone Wars figure I buy. It's goofy, but I like it.

Reaction score

Looks like the rockets can be removed leaving regular legs, UNLIKE TAC w1's R2 which had big gaps where the blue panels (concealing the rockets, in the films) would normally be.

And unlike VOTC R2, this one's got panels that actually OPEN? and have things pop out?! Sign me up. I guess they couldn't/wouldn't do that with a movie-R2 since too many would complain about accuracy (thickness of the opened panels, etc) but it'd be fun to see.

Reaction score

Hmm, if R2 was sporting BLASTERS then maybe I'd agree with you (and so many other naysayers who jump up and shout "IT'S ATTACK R2!"), but they're NOT blasters. One spray-nozzle (which, funny enough, looks a bit like Anakin's saber hilt in an animated style) and one gripper arm. Kids can probably pretend that the sprayer's also the electro-prod he uses to break Leia's chain & torment Teebo, or the computer-access arm, but it's no blaster. And the jets... well, it's PT R2. They're to be expected.

I mentioned how we probably wouldn't get panels & gadgets like this in movie-style due to inaccuracy issues... but y'know what? Screw 'em! We get so many R2s with various features, MOST of which leave accuracy to be desired (from scopes that pop up anytime you turn the head, to arms that pop out of the body THROUGH the panels--anytime you turn the head--to jets that are removable only to leave big chunks of blue leg coverings missing), why NOT have a movie-style that has panels & arms that pop out like this? So long as we have the nice, plain movie-style R4-G9-based R2 we all want ALSO, then it's fine. And for the pickier collectors, there could be one similar to VOTC style with a couple removable 2-panel sets (with replacement 'open' panels, but a few of these so only one panel's open at a time) and removable tools.

anyhoo, back to this one. Fun-looking figure, and so far one of the few I plan to get from CW3D.

Reaction score

Inverted said:
Will they never learn?
I gotta agree with what Toonimator says. How can this R2 be compared to that R5? His proportions may be a little off (as is the case with all figures based on the animation), but all of his "gear" is authentic to the movies: removable jets, datalink-type extension, claw extension, panels that actually close, a removable third leg (unlike R5's permanently attached middle leg). Apples and oranges here.

Toonimator said:
I mentioned how we probably wouldn't get panels & gadgets like this in movie-style due to inaccuracy issues... but y'know what? Screw 'em!
I think we will see "realistic" astros like this. Probably not until Hasbro gets tired of using the "vintage" mold or the R4-G9 mold, but I think we will. The only real "problems" with this R2 are the out of proportion legs and the dome with upraised panels instead of more flush. Easily corrected for a "realistic" style.

Reaction score

This might be the only cw animated figure that i purchase, just so I can recreate the scene on dagobah where yoda and r2 are fighting over that little lamp.
And yes, this will ultimately lead to a movie version of r2.

Reaction score

They looked like guns at first glance... is it so hard to believe Hasbro might release a flying and shooting R2? That's what the pic looked like 'till Toon set me straight.

Reaction score

Inverted said:
They looked like guns at first glance... is it so hard to believe Hasbro might release a flying and shooting R2? That's what the pic looked like 'till Toon set me straight.
That thought never even occurred to me until I saw people saying that they were guns. From the second I saw them they looked like R2's usual tool arms...

Reaction score
Re: R2-D2

I completely and 100% agree with GNT. This figure only looks animated in the head the rest of the body could very pass for a regular R2-D2 maybe even the master customizers here could do a head exchange for a realistic head. GNT has the correct opinion though and I agree. This R2-D2 I will buy and it will probably not be very hard people do not always buy the R2-D2 because he is not human.

Reaction score
The hidden gadgets are looking pretty cool in those carded shots. It seems as if they are going in the direction I've always wanted for an R2 figure, in terms of the gadget features.

Reaction score

RobotDX said:
Tyrannusspotting said:
They don't look like guns to me. R2 isn't a killer.
...no, he's a lover!
No... he's a killer...

But cmon Hasbro. If you're going to make it, at least give it a beanie!

Reaction score

It's official, this figure is awesome.

And simulateneously, it makes me really ticked off that a) Hasbro refuses to make a "full-featured" R2 in the Legacy line and b) Hasbro refuses to make OT characters in the animated style.

Here's to seeing OT characters show up in the Clone Wars cartoon so we can get figures of them! (cough Boba Fett cough)