GNT

Reaction score
STAR WARS THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75-INCH ARTOO-DETOO (R2-D2) Figure
MSRP:
$14.99
Availability: Fall 2022
Pre-order: Walmart on 3/24/22

1647458637738.jpeg

STAR WARS THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75-INCH ARTOO-DETOO (R2-D2) figure features iconic Kenner branding, inspired by the original ‘96 figures produced by Kenner. This figure is presented an individual STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE THE VINTAGE COLLECTION cardback and makes a great gift for STAR WARS collectors and fans. This VINTAGE COLLECTION figure comes with an entertainment-inspired accessory that make a great addition to any STAR WARS collection. Highly articulated with fully poseable head, arms, and legs, the figure can be displayed in action figure and vehicle collections and features premium design across multiple points of articulation. Available for pre-order March 24 at 1PM ET, exclusively at Walmart.

From Emily Cantelupe (Sr. Product Designer):
This R2-D2 Sensorscope figure is a fun callback to an Original 96 Kenner Empire Strikes Back cardback from 1981, which had a unique look from many of the others, showing R2-D2 and C-3PO on a bright blue backdrop. We thought this was a unique and nostalgic card! The original item that this is inspired by was Kenner’s re-release of R2-D2 to include his extended sensorscope feature, which R2 used as a periscope to navigate the swampy waters of Dagobah. R2-D2 is a classic Star Wars character, and one that we enjoy bringing back for both established and new to the line collectors to add to their Star Wars figure world.

1647458699121.jpeg
1647458719434.jpeg

Thoughts on this figure?

Reaction score
Eh

I will say this though. With all the hype that are putting towards card back images (specifically this and the Gunner) Walmart better come through with mint cards. If not I I will end up banned for telling MOC collectors "I told ya so"

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
Repost from General Discussion

ARTOO-DETOO (R2-D2) (Sensorscope!!) from The Empire Strikes Back.

This is a
Walmart-Icon-18px.png
Exclusive
. Available for pre-order March 24th at 1pm ET. On shelf Fall 2022. MSRP is $14.99.

Press Release

STAR WARS THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75-INCH ARTOO-DETOO (R2-D2) figure features iconic Kenner branding, inspired by the original ‘96 figures produced by Kenner. This figure is presented an individual STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE THE VINTAGE COLLECTION cardback and makes a great gift for STAR WARS collectors and fans. This VINTAGE COLLECTION figure comes with an entertainment-inspired accessory that make a great addition to any STAR WARS collection. Highly articulated with fully poseable head, arms, and legs, the figure can be displayed in action figure and vehicle collections and features premium design across multiple points of articulation.

Emily Cantelupe, Sr. Product Designer, had this to say about the figure:
  • This R2-D2 Sensorscope figure is a fun callback to an Original 96 Kenner Empire Strikes Back cardback from 1981, which had a unique look from many of the others, showing R2-D2 and C-3PO on a bright blue backdrop. We thought this was a unique and nostalgic card! The original item that this is inspired by was Kenner’s re-release of R2-D2 to include his extended sensorscope feature, which R2 used as a periscope to navigate the swampy waters of Dagobah. R2-D2 is a classic Star Wars character, and one that we enjoy bringing back for both established and new to the line collectors to add to their Star Wars figure world.

Press Images

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Carded-1-Resized.jpg
VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-1-Resized.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-2-Resized.jpg
VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-3-Resized.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-4-Resized.jpg
VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-5-Resized.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-6-Resized.jpg
VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-7-Resized.jpg

HD Images

Spoiler:  
VC-R2-D2-TESB-Carded-1.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-1.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-5.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-6.jpg

VC-R2-D2-TESB-Loose-7.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Total pass, unless it comes with a pug-in Hoth style radar dish sensor-scope

Reaction score
Another price hike? For a smaller character with fewer accessories than when originally released?

Oh wait, the details on the scope are painted this time. Price hike: justified. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Not to mention, this sculpt is from 12 years ago, when it cost $7.99, so they're nearly doubling the price and removing most of the accessories? They already made their investment back more than a decade ago, so a case like this is simply overcharging the consumer - you're just paying the "collector tax" for a cardback. This is a "legends" figure at best, which should be $10 or under.

Reaction score
Now I'm confused, is it ANH or ESB? I honestly don't recall R2 ever using the periscope in ANH, only on Dagobah in the swamp.

I really need to see the cardback like yesterday!

Reaction score
this is the original kenner cardback that this one will replicate. In the press release, Emily even commented on this cardback image w/ C-3P0 and the blue background. The "senorscope" is and was innacurate even back in 1981*. It's based of the periscope R2 used in the Dagobah swap, but the cardback, despite airbrushed, is based on Hoth using a different gadget, a sensorscope to aid in search for Luke and Han. I think the ANH confusion is the ANH R2 from the Imp Gunner (R1)/Luke Crait wave, #149, had a dirty fig, but image was clean R2 and someone was making a comment that the ANH R2 fig should've been clean and the "sensorscope" R2 should've been dirty. The VOTC R2 also used this image but on a ROTJ logo cardback. Now doing this for the "finish the 96" campaign, may make a TVC version of the "Dagobah" version a tad redundant (but would been a welcome pack-in to the Yoda board game for the retro line, although Luke in training gear would be a bit better choice, but that boat has likely sailed)
r2d2 sensorscope.jpgr2 dagobah.jpg

* From Emily Cantelupe (Sr. Product Designer):
This R2-D2 Sensorscope figure is a fun callback to an Original 96 Kenner Empire Strikes Back cardback from 1981, which had a unique look from many of the others, showing R2-D2 and C-3PO on a bright blue backdrop. We thought this was a unique and nostalgic card! The original item that this is inspired by was Kenner’s re-release of R2-D2 to include his extended sensorscope feature, which R2 used as a periscope to navigate the swampy waters of Dagobah. R2-D2 is a classic Star Wars character, and one that we enjoy bringing back for both established and new to the line collectors to add to their Star Wars figure world.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
I think the ANH confusion is the ANH R2 from the Imp Gunner (R1)/Luke Crait wave, #149, had a dirty fig, but image was clean R2 and someone was making a comment that the ANH R2 fig should've been clean and the "sensorscope" R2 should've been dirty. The VOTC R2 also used this image but on a ROTJ logo cardback.
I originally thought this was going to be a TESB cardback based off what Emily said, but then I read the press release, which stated ANH. 🤷‍♂️
This figure is presented an individual STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE THE VINTAGE COLLECTION cardback

Reaction score
If this just a clean R2 on the ANH cardback, then fine, but saying it's inspired by the ESB sensorscope R2 is just odd. Especially when some of us would like to get an R2 with the sensorscope he used on Hoth on an ESB cardback. Is this too much to ask?

Reaction score
I would go by Emily's comment on this being ESB card rather than press release. She gave specific cardback details. Plus, the red background color gives it away as well. Also, press releases tend to be cut/paste descriptions that recently gave wrong prices especially recent new target preorders.

Reaction score
If it had been the actual sensorscope this would have been a definite buy, but since it is not it is a definite no. What an absolute failure of a figure on so many levels. An inaccurate to the cardback reissue of a twelve year old figure (that wasn't even that good at the time) now with less accessories and almost double the price than it was originally. Plus they probably will now never release a sensorscope because they think they already have.

Reaction score
What was the original release of this mold? I'm just curious as there's too many R2s and I don't really want to dig through to find the one that this was used for before.

Thanks!

Reaction score
What was the original release of this mold? I'm just curious as there's too many R2s and I don't really want to dig through to find the one that this was used for before.

Thanks!
It was also used in the EE droud 6 pk a few years backs and for target's excl Droids r2 that's in shipping limbo

Reaction score
This mold was likely also chosen because it was likely readily available after doing the target droids version.

So, how many would be OK if Hasbro reused this mold again but w/ the lightsaber accessory for the "pop-up" Saber R2-D2. Of course, that R2 Kenner did had an Endor R2 image
Honestly. I'd prefer an all new R2 sculpt with all gadgets opened, somewhat burned and electrical effects released on that Kenner card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's bad enough they reused that mold at all on anything in the least ten years! So no, I wouldn't want it used again and am still salty after decades of wanting R2-A5 that it is now stuck with it!

I know we all have our preferences on sculpt, but I would have preferred the BAD mold simply because of uniformity and how many Droids now utilize that mold. A also like the customization aspect of that mold which would have aided in creating even more alternate looks.

As for a new sculpt? I'm not really sure R2 needs one as decent ones exist other than this particular mold, because there really isn't anything left for them to do other than Bells & whistles version and I don't see it happening in 3.75" scale. There's just too much going on to make it all blend in well and be functional. That said they could just retool s simple 3POA version for that one specific look.

Reaction score
Every time I see the double exclamation point in Sensorscope I read it like this:

View attachment 416908
I believe the correct pronunciation is ....

Tttttttttthhhhhhennnnsorthscope. Also.....is that a photo of Julia Stiles as a seven year old? Heavy into Goosebumps. isn't she?

I think there's gonna be re releases of R2 pretty steadily over the years, it feels like we're due honestly. Maybe the mold doesn't always do it for us, but it's not anything to get too disappointed by. I'd take a electrocuted/fried (either battle damaged at the end of ANH or at the Endor bunker from ROTJ) version too in the future. I mean, he's gonna be a core character who sees his share of periodic remarketing, of course he could be done with a chrome dome, removeable third leg, or here with a sensorscope. I'll take 'em all.

Reaction score
I'd take a electrocuted/fried (either battle damaged at the end of ANH or at the Endor bunker from ROTJ)
Hasbro did the ANH version several years ago, using the R4-G9 mold. It's a nice figure & would be great to see released again, even if he is really scene specific:

I'm of the opinion that we need a new sculpt for some of these alternate versions of R2. At the least, a retooled BAD astromech dome with removable parts (antenna style & periscope style scanners). Though I've been a fan of the G9 mold, and wouldn't mind seeing it used as a base to make the sensorscope work properly (and not limit head rotation as this VC version does).

I kind of like the POTF2 mold which has a spring loaded button to activate the periscope. Something along those lines with a longer 'pole' for the scope would be nice. Maybe not spring loaded. But there's room in that astromech body for a longer scope. They might have to go with the removable 3rd leg like the VOTC R2 had.

Reaction score
So this R2 is inspired by the ESB R2, but it has the incorrect sensorscope, but its coming on an ANH cardback, but maybe with the blue background photo from ESB?
Hasbro is staying true to the Kenner figure. Even though the card on the Kenner figure says "Sensorscope" They made the figure with his "Periscope" accessory. It is just unnecessary confusion when they get the press release wrong.

What I'm most Pi$$ed off about is this wave going to Walmart in the first place! Patrick, if you're out there reading these forums, this entire wave would kill at mass retail! Entertainment Earth and all the other sellers would blow through wave pack cases, as well as solids of the Stormtrooper! Just a completely idiotic move.

1 X R2-D2
1 X ISDAM EDIAN
1 X HELDER SPINOZA
2 X IMPERIAL GUNNER
3 X STORMTROOPER

We KNOW you can pack three of the same figure per case, because you did it with the Lando wave!!!