R2-D2 - ANH

Reaction score
Such an exciting figure based on the posts here, lol. Now that I have it in hand I can confirm that it is the Hasbro BAD mold, and it's almost identical to the R2 in the 2-pack from the SOLO line. It's dirty like the one from the 2-pack, it's just that the dirt is different. I would say the dirt is different enough to be considered a new figure. The cardback tho, is pretty awesome.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Agreed on the poor value of this version compared to Bar2-D2; however, that particular mold is not a favorite one, IMO. The dome is "pointy" in that it doesn't make a vertical line where it meets the body. Is there a nice comparison pic on the site? I can't remember which exact mold is my favorite...

Edit: looking through some older ones, I think the Jawa capture one was my favorite aesthetically and proportionally:

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is how he should have looked, and it would’ve been so much cheaper and easier for Hasbro. They just overthink things sometimes, similar to them almost completely dropping the ball with the dirt on the RO Stormtrooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think, in Hasbro's defense, they opted for the dirty deco to at least make us feel like we're getting something other than a direct repack of the Force Link 2 figure, which was available for $7.99. It's basically the same figure, on a new card, with a wash. Then tack on another $5.00. At least they fixed the missing paint at the top of the legs though. So there's that as well.

Reaction score
My kid upon seeing a picture with the dirty deco:

"Why does that R2 figure look like Jawas threw their poop at him?"

lol.

Reaction score
I think, in Hasbro's defense, they opted for the dirty deco to at least make us feel like we're getting something other than a direct repack of the Force Link 2 figure, which was available for $7.99. It's basically the same figure, on a new card, with a wash. Then tack on another $5.00. At least they fixed the missing paint at the top of the legs though. So there's that as well.
In Hasbro's defense a good chunk of their figures for the TVC are either repacks or reissues. So having them reissue this with a look reflecting his time on Tatooine is a big surprise to me. I mean I can understand that they should have done a clean variant as well on this card. But having this version is kind of better than just popping out one "clean" R2-D2 after another.

Reaction score
Our friend Tunghori has a listing for this figure. Photo shows no wash, but it does seem to have the silver accents on the legs, which was lacking from the Force Link 2.0 version. It was only $6.99, and he had some other stuff I wanted anyway. So I took a chance, and will see if I get one without the wash.

ZX3

Reaction score
Build A Droid is my favorite thing Hasbro ever did and I'm happy to see it wherever it still occasionally turns up, but for $14 can't they do better than a plain white interior under the dome and a missed paint application on the top of it?

Reaction score
Damned if they do...some fans are never happy. Glad you can appreciate it.

Reaction score
This is a fine looking figure on a fine looking card. I would have opted for a clean version, of course, but I do think there is value in the whole package as released.

Reaction score
What's with the thumbprints on the middle foot and all over? Looks like a bad custom compared to the multitude of excellent offerings by Disney using the same mould.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's with the thumbprints on the middle foot and all over? Looks like a bad custom compared to the multitude of excellent offerings by Disney using the same mould.
I think that’s just an unfortunate side effect of the dot matrix method of weathering.