R2-D2 and C-3PO

GNT

Reaction score
Here's the new picture of the Ep7 C-3PO and R2:

Who's going to purchase this pack of two figures?

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
C-3PO - Speculation

Not really much is known about what everyone's favourite golden droid is up to in The Force Awakens but he should be a safe bet for release in the first 3 or 4 waves, please use this thread to discuss possible figures in 3" or 6" scale as I'm sure we'll be seeing more details in the next few months.

Who's up for a new C-3PO figure?

Reaction score
How much screentime is R2 even gonna get?
I have a feeling he won't be in the movie much at all. BB-8 is the new droid on the block.

Reaction score
How much screentime is R2 even gonna get?
I have a feeling he won't be in the movie much at all. BB-8 is the new droid on the block.
I get the feeling him and Threepio will be less than 10 minutes or so. Which makes me sad. R2 and threepio were always through the story on purpose and they should continue to be in the main saga. But instead we get this new horror of a droid.

Reaction score
I get the feeling him and Threepio will be less than 10 minutes or so. Which makes me sad. R2 and threepio were always through the story on purpose and they should continue to be in the main saga. But instead we get this new horror of a droid.
The Droids are the story tellers of this saga, so wherever most of the action is, a droid is never far. Luke will have Artoo. Leia will have Threepio, and BB-8 will be watching the younger cast. So yes, the older cast and droids will get less screen time, but quantity is not always quality. Though I'm liking what I see with the BeachBall.

Reaction score
The Droids are the story tellers of this saga, so wherever most of the action is, a droid is never far. Luke will have Artoo. Leia will have Threepio, and BB-8 will be watching the younger cast. So yes, the older cast and droids will get less screen time, but quantity is not always quality. Though I'm liking what I see with the BeachBall.
The idea of the droids being the storytellers of Saga is one of my complaints about the PT. Their inclusion felt forced. They didn't fit in naturally. Especially Threepio.

The idea of the story told from their view was an idea left over from ANH that kinda worked in ESB and ROTJ but by the time the prequels rolled around it was too much of a stretch. They were really only the story tellers in ANH as Lucas was mimicking Hidden Fortress.

I still don't get why the Lars family let Anakin and Padme take Threepio off the farm, or why Anakin and Padme would even want to take Threepio. Forced inclusion.

Reaction score
Not just the hero droids. There are droids and computers everywhere watching the humans. But explaining how the matrix of artificial intelligence is recording the movements of the saga would be a bit convoluted. Having focal point story tellers, while forced, is a plot device, however strained, that will no doubt be used in TFA. We just have a new robot, that's all.

Reaction score
I think your over thinking the droids a bit there. The droids were a gimmick in ANH, a funny way to tell the story. And only that story. They were not the story tellers in the other movies in near the same way. They could have just as easily been two diplomats caught up in an adventure they didn't understand. :)

Reaction score
The idea of the droids being the storytellers of Saga is one of my complaints about the PT. Their inclusion felt forced. They didn't fit in naturally. Especially Threepio.
I agree wholeheartedly, Threepio and Artoo were only included in the Prequels for brand recognition, not story necessity.

But then again, why did they take Threepio along on Endor? Especially since it was a covert mission and it's kind of hard to hide in the forest when you're accompanied by a shiny gold droid that knows nothing of stealth. The only reason Threepio was on Endor was to act as translator for the Ewoks, but none of the characters in the movie would have known that he was needed for that purpose before actually going to Endor.

Anyways, I always thought that Artoo's role in the Prequels would have been better filled by R5-D4. This way, when R5 burns out in ANH, the audience will have some insight into why that droid is so used up and it would act as a "passing of the torch" from one generation of droids to the next.

C-3PO served no purpose in the Prequels. He could have first appeared in ROTS as Padme's personal assistant and nothing in the story would have changed significantly. Other than the fact that we would have been spared from having to sit through the droid factory scene in AOTC as well as that nonsense about Threepio being built by Anakin.

Reaction score
Indeed, Threepio's usefulness ran out part way through Jedi. At that point it he was just brought along because he's part of the gang. The other thing that bugged me about the droids in the PT is their ownership. It's very loose. Who owns these droids again??

In Episode I, R2 is owned by Padme, fine I buy it. Threepio is owned by Anakin's mom apparently. Because Shmi takes part in a lot of high level negotiations with other cultures apparently.

Episode 2, R2 is still with Padme, okay fine. Threepio is still on Tatooine. Okay. Then Threepio follows Anakin and Padme off of Tatooine? Why? Wouldn't the Lars family be pissed about the droid that was just stolen off of their farm? Isn't the harvest right around the corner??

Episode 3, Padme keeps her stolen Threepio droid. Does she give Anakin R2? Yes, they are married but it's supposed to be a secret. So how does Anakin keep the secret. He sleeps with Padme and uses her droid on missions.

Then Padme dies and they just pick out a random dude in the hallway to become the new owners. Captain Antilles, you'll do. These droids are yours now.

Very weird.

Reaction score
The use of the droids in the PT was rather odd. Having Anakin build 3PO was really forced and showed that they had no clue what to do with him. It would have been interesting if R2 and 3 PO would have been a pair that just came into conact with the mains for a few short Scenes in TPM. They could have played the same roll in AOTC, but they go along with the mains, and then they could have worked for Padme in ROTS.

I think the films, books, Cartoons, etc all work better when the droids are together.

I thought I read somewhere, maybe in the film book for ROTJ, that the Rebels were hoping to meet up with the natives on Endor and try to get them to cooperate with the Empire and that's why they needed 3PO, but maybe that's from another source. Also, taking R2 to a wooded planet doesn't seem like a good idea either, right?

Reaction score
Their usefulness ran out after Jabba's palace in ROTJ. R2 and Threepio should have made the hero's sacrifice and stayed behind ensuring everyone else escaped. I love those two guys as much as anyone, but their story was done.

*runs as angry mob forms*

Reaction score
Well, even so... That wouldn't have prevented them from appearing in the Prequels. lol ^

Reaction score
True, but perhaps there wouldn't be that urge to force them into the prequels?

They made it feel like there were about 20 people in the entire galaxy. It's like those movies where two people meet randomly and spend the rest of the movie just narrowly missing another bump in. What a coincidence!

I still can't believe they put Chewie in ROTS. I was just waiting for a 10yo Han Solo running around with Lando.

GNT

Reaction score
Something different, he did have a different lower leg in the OT, possibly his ATM rusted away or was replaced at least in one of the pictures. Either way neat.

Reaction score
I don't think so. I think that one image is just a weird lighting effect.

Reaction score
He started as a skeleton in Ep. 1, scrap metal coverings in AOTC, at his golden Zenith at the fall of the Republic in ROTS, and slowly goes back to a hodge podge in the OT.

Lucas intentionally gave him an Art Deco look in ANH, to give him the feeling of a bygone era.

Makes sense that that after so many years, parts for his make and model become harder and harder to come by. I'm sure we will see what the newest protocol droids look like at some point in the new movies.

Reaction score
Well I really hope we see these two used to better potential than the prequels did. I get a new droid might take their spot, but they could all just work off each other.

GNT

Reaction score
I still can't believe they put Chewie in ROTS. I was just waiting for a 10yo Han Solo running around with Lando.
A young Han Solo was going to appear in ROTS but it did get canned, I think production art is all that exists of it now.

Reaction score
I can't imagine a new Artoo figure to look any different than the hundreds of other Artoo figures we've seen over the past 35 years. Sure his action figure has improved since the Kenner version. But can it really get any better from the ones we've seen over the past 10 years?
Granted I'll still buy one, but that's because I'm a completionist. But he's bottom of my list in terms of my priority or excitement.
I love Artoo, but I'm kinda burnt out of him(and Threepio). On the other hand, I'm most excited to see and to buy BB-8. :)

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll see both a 3.75 and 6" version of R2 and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a larger version to go along with the Jakks line as well. R2 will always be available in the Hasbro SW universe...

I'm more curious as to how BB-8 is going to be handled..... I'm hoping that it will not be a disaster like the recent Chopper issue with SW Rebels. I want a 3.75" and a 6" version of BB-8..that droid is awesome.

I'm planning on building a mini army of BB-8's if possible and customizing them to look like the world cup soccer ***** since most people referred to him as the Soccer Ball droid until we learned it's name.

Reaction score
Indeed, Threepio's usefulness ran out part way through Jedi. At that point it he was just brought along because he's part of the gang. The other thing that bugged me about the droids in the PT is their ownership. It's very loose. Who owns these droids again??

In Episode I, R2 is owned by Padme, fine I buy it. Threepio is owned by Anakin's mom apparently. Because Shmi takes part in a lot of high level negotiations with other cultures apparently.

Episode 2, R2 is still with Padme, okay fine. Threepio is still on Tatooine. Okay. Then Threepio follows Anakin and Padme off of Tatooine? Why? Wouldn't the Lars family be pissed about the droid that was just stolen off of their farm? Isn't the harvest right around the corner??

Episode 3, Padme keeps her stolen Threepio droid. Does she give Anakin R2? Yes, they are married but it's supposed to be a secret. So how does Anakin keep the secret. He sleeps with Padme and uses her droid on missions.

Then Padme dies and they just pick out a random dude in the hallway to become the new owners. Captain Antilles, you'll do. These droids are yours now.

Very weird.
And when they were sold to Luke/Owen Lars at the ANH, they seem not to remember anything. Were they reset to zero memory when Captain Antilles took possesion of them?

Even Obi Wan didn't remember the droids when he first saw them in ANH. Why? He went to many battles and adventures with them.

Really confusing...

Reaction score
And when they were sold to Luke/Owen Lars at the ANH, they seem not to remember anything. Were they reset to zero memory when Captain Antilles took possesion of them?

Even Obi Wan didn't remember the droids when he first saw them in ANH. Why? He went to many battles and adventures with them.

Really confusing...
Artoo can keep a secret, or doesn't give a "beep". And droids are a dime a dozen, with different plating and changing patterns in the SW Universe.

Reaction score
Well Threepio has his mind wiped at the end of ROTS so therefore he would have no knowledge of any of the events that happened previous to the mind wipe. R2 was saved from the mind wipe.

(also in the Radio Drama both C-3PO and R2 are given a command control instruction to protect all identity of Leia.)

Padme gives Anakin R2 during the Clone Wars as a gift.

I'm sure there are plenty of versions of R2 units as well as protocol units throughout the galaxy so therefore it is quite possible that Obi Wan would not recognize them right away. also Obi Wan is confused when Luke tells him that R2 was owned by an Obi Wan Kenobi. even Obi Wan states that he has never owned a droid.

since R2 and C-3PO were both aboard the Tantive IV and present during the events of Padme giving birth to the twins and her death I'm guessing that Bail, Obi Wan and Yoda decided that it was best for Bail to keep both of the droids to protect Luke and Leia from the Emperor and Vader hence the mind wipe.

Reaction score
R2 is waaaay to memorable for Obi-wan to have forgotten him. Did way too many crazy things in their adventures. Not only that, but as soon as R2 drops the name "Obi-wan" that should have been a clue. I would start thinking about all the things I did as Obi-wan and what droids might know me as that. Hmmm, blue plated droid, Obi-wan...can it be? My old friend R2-D2?? It certainly isn't the droid that I for all intents OWNED, R4!

Ok, so Obi-wan doesn't recognize them. Fine. They look common enough. Wait, according to R2's message these droids are mixed up with my old friend Bail. Didn't we unload those droids on Bail last time we were all together. This must be the R2-D2 I know! Nah, it's easier to pretend I know nothing about droids at all.

"You know I think those two droids might have been stolen."
"Yeah, that Threepio unit was stolen from me over 20 years ago! You're father hopped in his ship and took off with him. It killed our harvest that year. I started bouncing checks. The banks seized my assets and I had to declare bankruptcy. I'm just now starting to recover and I've finally saved up enough money to send you to the academy. So, if you complain about how long it has taken to send you to the academy try to remember how your father screwed us."

Reaction score
Well Threepio has his mind wiped at the end of ROTS so therefore he would have no knowledge of any of the events that happened previous to the mind wipe. R2 was saved from the mind wipe.

(also in the Radio Drama both C-3PO and R2 are given a command control instruction to protect all identity of Leia.)

Padme gives Anakin R2 during the Clone Wars as a gift.

I'm sure there are plenty of versions of R2 units as well as protocol units throughout the galaxy so therefore it is quite possible that Obi Wan would not recognize them right away. also Obi Wan is confused when Luke tells him that R2 was owned by an Obi Wan Kenobi. even Obi Wan states that he has never owned a droid.

since R2 and C-3PO were both aboard the Tantive IV and present during the events of Padme giving birth to the twins and her death I'm guessing that Bail, Obi Wan and Yoda decided that it was best for Bail to keep both of the droids to protect Luke and Leia from the Emperor and Vader hence the mind wipe.
Same thoughts here.

Reaction score
^^^Oops! Wrong quote there...

I ws suppose to give my reply on this message instead.

R2 is waaaay to memorable for Obi-wan to have forgotten him. Did way too many crazy things in their adventures. Not only that, but as soon as R2 drops the name "Obi-wan" that should have been a clue. I would start thinking about all the things I did as Obi-wan and what droids might know me as that. Hmmm, blue plated droid, Obi-wan...can it be? My old friend R2-D2?? It certainly isn't the droid that I for all intents OWNED, R4!

Ok, so Obi-wan doesn't recognize them. Fine. They look common enough. Wait, according to R2's message these droids are mixed up with my old friend Bail. Didn't we unload those droids on Bail last time we were all together. This must be the R2-D2 I know! Nah, it's easier to pretend I know nothing about droids at all.

"You know I think those two droids might have been stolen."
"Yeah, that Threepio unit was stolen from me over 20 years ago! You're father hopped in his ship and took off with him. It killed our harvest that year. I started bouncing checks. The banks seized my assets and I had to declare bankruptcy. I'm just now starting to recover and I've finally saved up enough money to send you to the academy. So, if you complain about how long it has taken to send you to the academy try to remember how your father screwed us."
Same thoughts here. Fixed! ;)

Reaction score
"You know I think those two droids might have been stolen.""Yeah, that Threepio unit was stolen from me over 20 years ago! You're father hopped in his ship and took off with him. It killed our harvest that year. I started bouncing checks. The banks seized my assets and I had to declare bankruptcy. I'm just now starting to recover and I've finally saved up enough money to send you to the academy. So, if you complain about how long it has taken to send you to the academy try to remember how your father screwed us."
THAT is classic.

Reaction score
I have so many of these two droids they will probably be at the bottom of the list for purchases

Reaction score
I'll be painting the arm of one of my existing SA threepios. This is just a horridly lazy release.

Reaction score
I'll be painting the arm of one of my existing SA threepios. This is just a horridly lazy release.
It is, especially since you can't even make that Threepio sit without mangling the leg sculpt near the hip joint...I'd love to be wrong if they retooled it, but not counting on it.

Oh well, at least Artoo can finally start that arms race with POTF2 R5-D4.

Reaction score
Painting may not even be necessary. Just dig out one of those old BAD parts and kit bash your own TFA 3PO.

Reaction score
I have a feeling C3P0 in the movie will use that new arm as a weapon. Some hidden blaster or something with upgraded tech. There has to be a reason for not painting it.