R2-D2 #10

GNT

Reaction score

As the end of the battle on Hoth draws near, R2-D2 accompanies Luke Skywalker in his X-wing as he flees the remains of Echo Base. R2-D2 is a reluctant companion as the two travel to the Dagobah system. Includes electronic lights and sounds, plus random accessories to spread around the base.

It seems Good old R2 will be in the Battle of Hoth wave as seen in this loose shot. Basically all the R2s I can think of over the last few years have had some feature like electronic sounds or tools sp what will be so special about R2 this time?

Thoughts on the battle of Hoth R2-D2?

Reaction score
He's a R4-G9 repaint. The best astromech sculpt to date so I am happy R2 will be getting this sculpt.

Is is really needed? No! But its different enough to warrent picking up IMO.

Reaction score
stylie_steve said:
He's a R4-G9 repaint. The best astromech sculpt to date so I am happy R2 will be getting this sculpt.

I totally agree.
Now, if this R2 was released in the Battle of Coruscant wave and came with a jet booster flame base and a holographic Invisible Hand he would be all worth it.

Or if Hasbro used this mold, added a security bolt and the CTC Hologram of Leia- with heavy weathering for the Battle of Tatooine wave.

Reaction score
Another R2.... Maybe will jsut get 1 carded fig.. For the sake of completion

Reaction score
I thought we would get an R2-D2 but never thought it would be this wave. I hate being a completist as it means I'll have to get one.

Reaction score
We already got a modern version of R2 with sensorscope 7 years ago...unless POTF2 has already fallen under the vintage umbrella:

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2r2datalink.asp

Always wondered about that. If Star Wars figures released in 1985 were considered vintage in 1995 when POTF2 came out, then what is POTF2 considered now that we're in the year 2005? They are now as old as the final vintage figures were when POTF2 started.

Reaction score
Actually, we just got one last year in the VOTC line:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=OTC/votc04r2-d2scope.jpg

Niether one are really all that movie accurate though, as far as the "sensor scope" thing goes. Look at the VOTC (or vintage) card. It's more like a big radar type thing. I think what Hasbro has been calling a "sensor scope" is more like his persicope thingie tha the uses on Dagobah.

Reaction score
stylie_steve said:

Yeah, it looks like he's got the R4-G9 body. I agree it's absolutly the best sculpt/articulation you can possibly get on a droid. Now if they could have used a similar method to Bar2-D2 and giving us a sensor scope set off to one side, that would really have been sweet.

As it is, I'll definitly have to grab more than one of this guy for future repaints. After all, the EE set is too cool, but I can't spend $80+ on astromechs all at one time.

Spyke

Reaction score
Hopefully this R2 will be the R4-G9 sculpt, because if it is I'll be picking up about 13 of them to replace all the POTJ/Saga/OTC R2's I've got.

Reaction score
12501 said:
Hopefully this R2 will be the R4-G9 sculpt, because if it is I'll be picking up about 13 of them to replace all the POTJ/Saga/OTC R2's I've got.
It seems to be that very sculpt. Be prepared to be buying yourself a lot of R2's.

If 2005 was the year of the Clone, than 2006 is shaping up to be the year of the Astromech.

Reaction score
Darth_Rayne said:
12501 said:
It seems to be that very sculpt. Be prepared to be buying yourself a lot of R2's.

If 2005 was the year of the Clone, than 2006 is shaping up to be the year of the Astromech.
Oh, I'm prepared

....at least I'm hoping I'll be prepared

I could handle a year of the astromech. We all screamed for clones and we got more clones than we could count in our heads, so a year of the astromech would be a nice break from clones....as awesome as clones are.

Reaction score
Two Astromechs, Two Protocols (just Threepio), one Power Droid.

A retool of an Artoo like this, with some chunks of snow that rest on his head would have been preferred.
Maybe they're accessories?

GNT

Reaction score
He should come with a hoth base to complete the look. Maybe one that can connect to the Saga Hoth Luke figures base in normal position?

Sev

Reaction score
Re: R2

Already have the Electronic one. If this one's more impressive, I'll get it.

Reaction score
I could use a couple more R2's so I just might grab a few of this one when it comes out. It looks to be a great sculpt to me, even though there isn't really much variation in the droid's appearance throughout the saga.

GNT

Reaction score
Could've been better like the ideas mentioned above rather then lets just reissue the same electronic figure over and over again

Reaction score
The electronic one doesn't have wheels though does it? Maybe they stuck electronics in a new mold, or it's got new legs one.

Reaction score
Rune_Haako said:
The electronic one doesn't have wheels though does it? Maybe they stuck electronics in a new mold, or it's got new legs one.
Looking at the third wheel well (say that 3 times real fast!), it looks like it slips up inside like the R4 does. If that is the case and they've managed to get electronics also, now that's an R2 to get!

Spyke

Reaction score
I agree this one doesn't look like the ROTS/OTC/POTF2 one we've been getting over the years.

Hopefully this is what we get and not the ROTS one rehashed so soon.

Reaction score
It looks like the VOTC based on the removable panel glued in and the peroscope, yet it still says electronic sounds. Weird. Those accessories are from the Saga Luke's Dagobah X Wing.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Doesnt look like a electronic one, and that does look like the saga luke xwing accessories.

Reaction score
I WAS going to skip this one but as I've said many times before, you can't have enough little crates/boxes.

Reaction score
Man, I really hope it isn't actually the chrome-domed one. The brushed (burnished?) gray is more accurate. Anybody know?

Though if it is the chrome one, that would mean I'd no longer feel compelled to replace all my current R2s....

Reaction score
Given the molding on the bubble, it's probably the VOTC one for sure... but I wish it wasn't! The gray-domed R4-repaint R2 shown in the white-BG photo would've been absolutely 100% PERFECT. Just a nice, basic R2 with clicky head, retractable leg, cabled feet and in scale with MANY modern astromechs with matching dome treatment, too. They just released the VOTC version in the Early Bird kit. No need for it again, especially if it doesn't have all its extras, since the glued-on panel looks tacky. The periscope thing is annoying, too, and like the vintage one, doesn't match with Hoth anyway (since R2 uses his sensorscope there).

But I do wanna get those Dagobah X-Wing accessories since I missed the ship...

GNT

Reaction score
Looks VOTC to me as well, don't forget the earlier pictures were just prototypes so they've finally decided on what they'll be releasing in the saga line. Looks good to me plus the accessories are a nice little touch to make it different.

Reaction score
The Dagobah accessoires are indeed a nice touch.

Thanks Hasbro for making me saving a few bucks, cause I no longer need to hunt down the X-Wing fighter just for the boxes

Reaction score
Yes,
This is DEFINATELY the VOTC fig! Love the addition of the accessories!
Keep it up Hasbro!

Reaction score
Ah crap, I was hoping for the R4-G9 repaint like we saw in the prototypes.

THe VOTC is good still and now with added electronics I guess but its just not as good a sculpt as R4-G9. The accessories are a nice touch though even though I have them already from the X-Wing.

Reaction score
Looks like they might have applied some ice to this figure. There's some blotchy areas on his side that look like it could be ice. I was hoping for a more accurate sensorscope accessory, but the Dagobah pack-ins are cool. I never bought the TRU X-Wing that these originally came with.

Reaction score
What is wrong with the equation below?

VOTC R2-D2 + Electronics + Box Accessories < $10 VOTC R2-D2

Reaction score
klockamy50 said:
What is wrong with the equation below?

VOTC R2-D2 + Electronics + Box Accessories < $10 VOTC R2-D2
There is no protective case with this version.