Question regarding Sith eyes

Reaction score
First of all; I am not sure if I am starting this topic in the right place or not but this seemed like the best fit. If this is not the right place I apologize.

Why do some Sith get the cool red/yellow Sith eyes and others do not? Some characters exhibit a change in coloration of the eyes when they cross-over to the dark side. In episode III when Anakin goes over his eyes get that red/yellow color to them. In the comics Cade Skywalker's would go back and forth. As did Quinlan Vos. Darth Maul always had the Sith eyes. Yet, Darth Sidious and Count Dooku have normal eyes. Can anyone explain?

Sorry if the answer is already out there and I am ignorant of it.

Reaction score
I thought Sidious for the most part did indeed have this look, but not when he's " idle'... I would assume w/o researching that it would appear more likely in an enraged or during heavy, emotionally involved attack for the individual? ..never really dug into this. Dooku had them briefly in TCW movie, I thought, on Tatooine. Can't recall seeing it w/ Dooku again. But Maul always had them? weird....maybe cuz Dooku was a Sith for different reasons? not sure of himself...an opportunist? as where Maul was super engulfed in this evil, it was his life. Good question.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Palpatine had Sith eyes. Pretty sure the way his eyes look in the entire OT count as Sith eyes.

As for Dooku, the general consensus is that he didn't have them because he wasn't like most Sith. He was evil, he did vile things, but he wasn't as engulfed in the Dark Side as other Sith, and he also remained calm and emotionally detached. There is EU material like Labyrinth of Evil that shows that Dooku rejects hate and anger, which are the main things that cause Sith eyes to manifest. He was more of a Dark Jedi than a true Sith and he only changed sides for idealistic reasons and because Palpatine manipulated him.

It makes sense for Dooku not to have them.

Reaction score
Does it? Or is it an excuse to retro-engineer poor continuity on the part of LFL and their licensees?

(Not being an 4ss here, genuinely interested and put it down to sloppiness as opposed to a well-thought-out grand concept)

Reaction score
It doesn't have to have been a well-thought-out grand concept to make sense. I myself am inclined to believe that Dooku's lack of Sith eyes in the PT (or any sort of explanation as to why only certain Sith had them) was probably just an oversight on the part of LFL.

Obviously it was something engineered retroactively by the EU licensees, but I don't really see it as poor continuity because frankly it doesn't create any real plotholes or continuity errors, and is a minor issue at best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fair observation. The very fact that this conversation is happening is a poor show though, and that is down to LFL. It shouldn't be needed. Let's hope this Disney-canon thing in the news does away with such inconsistencies.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information in regards to my question. I didn't remember Sidious having them in the OT but I could be mistaken. I don't actually remember seeing his eyes really, with his hood and all, but I will pay more attention when I watch them again. I could see the Dooku thing play out as explained, may need to look into that Labyrinth of Evil story.

If it is just sloppy consistency on details that would bug me. It really irks me the inconsistency with naming of droids, especially in the Clones Wars series.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those. It was kind of irking me that I could have sworn Dooku had displayed them at some point in some media, but I couldn't remember what it was. I try to block the TCW movie and the early episode of the series from my mind.

Having them show up at a time like that, there's some inconsistancy for you. Not really what we see with characters like Anakin who display them at times of extreme anger/hatred, or characters like Maul and Palpatine who eventually always have them because of how the Dark Side gradually warps a person's physical form. Reeks of having just been something someone came up with "Because it looks cool, and then people will know how super duper evil he is!"

Let's hope this Disney-canon thing in the news does away with such inconsistencies.
Agreed. That's the main reason why I'm optimistic about the project.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you sure those are Sith Eyes or just amber colored eyes that are just supposed to be Lee's dark brown eyes?

In the EU, all the Legacy Sith have Sith Eyes even species of humanoids that have ordinarily black eyes and no irises, the new Inquisitor has Sith Eyes meanwhile all the rest of this Pau'an species has the shark like black eyes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Specially when he sits on the throne and does not give a courtesy flush.

Reaction score
IMO the Sith eyes are a byproduct of totally giving into hatred, and the Darkside itself. Dooku never really did that in AOTC or ROTS, he was basically just there because he lost faith in the Republic. Any Force user can access lightning if that person has been taught how to wield it, as we see with both Dooku and Yoda.
It's your frame of mind, and the way you use it that determines ones allegiance. Maul had them all the time because he was bread for hatred for the Jedi, and was meant to be they ultimate killing machine. Sidious could access it at anytime because he was the Master. Anakin accessed it once he decided to give into hatred, and started murdering people.

Reaction score
Sorta makes one laugh, if pain and anger lead to the darkside and according to Yoda(OT) there is no turning back, then whats the sense and purpose of their whole order and religion - it becomes a farce and they must all have internal conflict . Lucas presents a world of sterility, and devoid of basic human emotion. The Jedi cant even make love which much further lead to anger , fear and frustration and pain emotional as well as physical, supposedly this is the reason why Jedi cant reproduce or form basic human bonds, they fear their own humanity and cant control it the slightest lose of control of temper will lead to great destruction of not only themselves but others around them. Jedi use weapons that cause pain and suffering, lightsabers which are so important and their martial skills are for causing pain and damage not only to others but themselves, they're fighters and warriors , knights in service of a King or Dictator, at the service of a political body and used as a stand in for a soldier as the Republic lacks a standing military organize and relies upon the Jedi knights to keep planets in line with the politics of Corusant's chancellor and senate. They're not priests serving as missionaries to some faith at any point in the movies, their institution is also masonic, open only to a select elite few. If a Jedi is in pain then they access the darkside, you dont need to be a Sith to harness nor use the darkside . What I dont like was the ambiguity of the Jedi, which was made worse in the PT and never really touched upon in The Clone Wars and maybe that series didnt aid in anything. Lucas' Jedi and the religion are never adequately explained, powers and abilities wax and wane at each stroke of the writers pen and direction the director takes for each scene.

This comment on the Harry Potter films I think can apply to Lucas' Jedi/Sith:

Criticism against the books also comes from one of the official exorcists of the Archdiocese of Rome, Father Gabriele Amorth, who believes that, "Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the devil."[44] He further told the Daily Mail that the books make a false distinction between black and white magic, while, in reality, the distinction "does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the devil." Amorth believes that the books can be a bad influence on children by getting them interested in the occult.

It doesnt really take much to be a Sith Lord, other than pledge yourself to some murderous raving lunatic with force powers who more often than not was once a Jedi that dubs himself a Sith and kill whoever he orders you to. Most of them are always scarred or missing limbs and have cybernetic implants as well. Often their skin is a whitish color, also corpse like, with varicose veins all over. Jedi seem to fall left and right to the darkside and most of your Sith Lords are "fallen Jedi". Dooku was a cold blooded and viscous character. It was his anger and hate which led him to betraying and attempt at the destruction of the Jedi Order who were once his brothers and sisters. Hatred doesnt hold water, since hatred is always the key to the darkside along with anger and fear, we're always told. Dooku was completely engulfed with the darkside and was Sith Lord, he murdered and betrayed just about anyone he was ordered to or who he did not want alive. I dont think you can really compare the characters like that. Dooku was was a mature character, Vader in the OT was also a mature character with a personality nothing like the Prequels Anakin or Anakin-Vader who was a whiny , arrogant and greedy child of a character. Maul's demeanor in TPM was of a stoic warrior and silent mute, unlike the cartoon where he's unhinged and manic you know the typical evil villain portrayal always babbling on over his own evil and plans. Dooku/Tyranus' character pretty much remains the same as Lee portrayed the character as a stoic statesmen and Count Dracula combined with like. Sith Eyes seem more for dramatic visual effect and we only really seeing them in other mediums after ROTS when basically all Sith started getting the treatment. His eyes never remain that way, and seem something either done in post production for dramatic effect or just used at key point to symbolize the phssical manifestation to the audience that he is now this evil Sith Lord.

You could say Dooku cared about his looks much like Palpatine, more an issue of aesthetics and their own pompous ego . They were always well groomed and dressed. Maul didnt seem to care about his looks or hygiene, his teeth and gums were all rotted and infected and his tattoos covered his whole body and evidently when about in public looking the way he did while Palpatine did not and Vader was trapped in a suit with cybernetic implants and a cripple. Palpatine claimed the Jedi attack left him "scared and disfigured" , whether thats true or the restrait level Palpatine used to keep himself from aging and showing his physical manifestation of evil must have been relaxed at that point- Same with while Vader was badly maimed and burned, so worrying over their looks were no longer important so "Sith Eyes" & hiding their physical corruption was no longer an issue.

Last edited: