Question Regarding Licensed vs. Unlicensed Photos for Signing

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am relatively new to collecting autographs and just had some questions with regard to what photos you use for autographs. I am planning to send in a few items to the Coolwater Prods. Harrison Ford signing coming up but noticed in the fine print the following: Mr. Ford reserves the right not to sign any item(s) that he deems inappropriate, including, without limitation, any image(s) that feature nudity or other offensive content and/or merchandise that appears counterfeit.

Originally, I was going to use photos I found off the internet, print them out and send them in. But now after seeing the above terms of sale fine print I am concerned if I send in an image I have just taken off the internet and printed that this may be considered 'counterfeit' and won't be signed. And I don't want to go to all that trouble and then not have my photos signed and possibly not getting my money refunded. I have no problem purchasing some official prints but I am finding the selection lacking especially because I only use black and white photos for autographs. Also, I don't like the logos on the pics and I like to improve the photos a bit in Photoshop.

In your guys experience what sort of advice would you give with regard to using licensed official photos as opposed to unlicensed for acquiring autographs?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, what are some of the better licensed photo sites that you would recommend? I found Topps Star Wars Authentics and Fine Art America, do you know of any others? Trying to find some good Blade Runner images as well.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Most likely just the fine print, I think Ford and his team had concerns about him signing items that fake sigs already on it. I remember the first few private signings only had licensed memorabilia to offer and no send-ins. I know he signed plenty of unlicensed photos at his last signing. In any case contact Derek Maki at Coolwaters if you have any questions, he's always been happy to help.

Some of my favourite pieces are those done on images I had printed, but I will say if you wish to retain as much value as possible it is safer to go with a licensed item.

SW Authentics are the only company I know of that is producing licensed stills. You can find old new Official Pix stock and other licensed photos in Facebook groups or on ebay.

Reaction score
Most likely just the fine print, I think Ford and his team had concerns about him signing items that fake sigs already on it. I remember the first few private signings only had licensed memorabilia to offer and no send-ins. I know he signed plenty of unlicensed photos at his last signing. In any case contact Derek Maki at Coolwaters if you have any questions, he's always been happy to help.

Some of my favourite pieces are those done on images I had printed, but I will say if you wish to retain as much value as possible it is safer to go with a licensed item.

SW Authentics are the only company I know of that is producing licensed stills. You can find old new Official Pix stock and other licensed photos in Facebook groups or on ebay.

Thanks for your advice. Will probably go the licensed route. But I will also contact Coolwaters as
well and see what they say.