Question for afa employee

Reaction score
Hello, my question is if CIB is coming back anytime soon. Any news or estimated time frame.
Also, has toygrader.com made any provision just incase they don't come back soon

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hello, my question is if CIB is coming back anytime soon. Any news or estimated time frame.
Also, has toygrader.com made any provision just incase they don't come back soon

Thanks in advance

No more CIB Huh? So I take their is no more 3rd party authentication process that comes with the CIB paper?

Reaction score
The AFA website has said since September:

Effective immediately due to unforeseen circumstances, Collectible Investment Brokerage (CIB ) will be unable to provide services through AFA until further notice.
We appreciate the expertise and service that CIB provides to the collecting community through AFA, and we ask for all of our customers to respect Mr. Derby's privacy and his family's privacy during this hiatus.
The following applies to all submissions currently at our facility requiring authentication through CIB:

Projected Completion Dates on or prior to 8/31/15 are expected to complete processing.
Projected Completion Dates 9/1/15 and later will be temporarily suspended through September. All customers with submissions falling within this time frame (9/1/15 and later) will be contacted with options on how we should proceed.

For future submissions with Prototypes and other rare figures requiring authentication through CIB, please hold all items until CIB’s services have resumed.

Reaction score
It's now a new year as of tomorrow, any word on cib or will you find a replacement

Reaction score
You work there and you haven't heard anything? That's hard to believe! What's the real story?

Reaction score
So Tom Derby, majority owner of AFA and owner of CIB, is no longer doing authentications for his own company? Sounds like AFA is in deep trouble to me.

Reaction score
So Tom Derby, majority owner of AFA and owner of CIB, is no longer doing authentications for his own company? Sounds like AFA is in deep trouble to me.

That's not accurate. He had some personal matters to deal with and he'll restart authentication soon. As to exactly when I do not know.

Reaction score
That's not accurate. He had some personal matters to deal with and he'll restart authentication soon. As to exactly when I do not know.

Is the "personal matters" selling items on eBay? Currently selling over 140 items and completed items shows 175 and that only shows 3 months back. So in the last 6 months since he's "parted" AFA he has sold roughly 350 items. Not trying to get into his personal business but that is easily over $200,000+ in sells. Please don't tell us someone else is selling the items for him because Tom is the one who responds back to questions about the items.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry this is getting personal. I was just wondering when CIB would be back up and running. I have a figure I need to get authencated before time runs out.

Obviously Tom is going through some personal issues and it's no concern to anyone but him.

Hope all is well or working itself out. Please keep us informed

Thanks again
Kevin

Reaction score
Great facts you have to back this up. I know first hand that what I said is correct!

The guy could be going through a divorce, have cancer, a family member could be sick, death in the family, any number of things. Maybe he just doesn't have time to do authentications? Why don't you take it easy and stop being a dope.

Reaction score
The guy could be going through a divorce, have cancer, a family member could be sick, death in the family, any number of things. Maybe he just doesn't have time to do authentications? Why don't you take it easy and stop being a dope.

not being a dope thank you. I have had many interactions with Tom. And as always wish the best for him and others.
I have a few other collector friends that actually pointed this information out to me. Isn't Tom still do authentication through his business CIB? But does not through AFA? And has time to sell a cubic ton of items on eBay? Does this add up to you if "divorce, have cancer, a family member could be sick, death in the family"?

Reaction score
Is the "personal matters" selling items on eBay? Currently selling over 140 items and completed items shows 175 and that only shows 3 months back. So in the last 6 months since he's "parted" AFA he has sold roughly 350 items. Not trying to get into his personal business but that is easily over $200,000+ in sells. Please don't tell us someone else is selling the items for him because Tom is the one who responds back to questions about the items.
Your not trying to get into his personal business , yes you is trying to get into his personal business , if he is not authenticating and you require authentication then you is **** out of luck using him end of story period . Nothing you can say think or type will change that .

Reaction score
not being a dope thank you. I have had many interactions with Tom. And as always wish the best for him and others.
I have a few other collector friends that actually pointed this information out to me. Isn't Tom still do authentication through his business CIB? But does not through AFA? And has time to sell a cubic ton of items on eBay? Does this add up to you if "divorce, have cancer, a family member could be sick, death in the family"?

Well you certainly aren't being very objective then and you sound like a scorned woman.... he could be going through something that requires money and his time. Ever think of that? By selling things on Ebay (which takes very little time and effort for the most part), I am pretty sure it brings in more money and less time than your raggedy a55ed item that needs authenticated....cut the guy some slack. He'll be back when he's back. Until then get a life...

Reaction score
Wow, I think your attitude is uncalled for. Thank you non the less.

LOL... My attitude? You are the one attacking the integrity of a well known collector and member of the larger Star Wars collector community who by all accounts is going through personal issues. Don't cry and act all shocked because you got shot down....

Reaction score
LOL... My attitude? You are the one attacking the integrity of a well known collector and member of the larger Star Wars collector community who by all accounts is going through personal issues. Don't cry and act all shocked because you got shot down....

What did I get shot down for? Never would I attack his integrity? Like I said I have used his services many, many times over the years. I really like TOM. Don't get this mixed up with something that's not reality.

Reaction score
Tom is going through a really tough time right now. It's a personal family issue but suffice to say it would be enough for anyone to want to take a long break from work. On top of that the situation makes it very hard for him to actually get into the office even if he could. He's hoping to be back to work soon but he has a few things to sort out to enable this. If there's a lack of communication from his side it's because he's trying to sort things out and because it's a personal matter.

If it needs clarifying again: AFA and CIB are not the same thing; other people work for Tom at CIB so he has some support with eBay sales but Tom alone does the authentication and it requires getting into the office which is extremely difficult for him. I don't know if he's now authenticating stuff that's sent to him directly but he certainly wasn't for a number of months. It makes sense that he holds back from authenticating stuff through AFA until he is able to commit to the workload and turnaround times. I'm sure it's a lot easier to manage the workload for stuff he's sent directly.

Perhaps AFA could endeavour to communicate updates on this. I'm presuming the lack of updates mean there are none to give. I know communication is always key but when you're going through such difficult times it's often the hardest thing to do. Tom is a very honest and hard working guy but he's also dedicated to his family. If he's taking a break it's because it's well needed and I'm sure he'll be back soon. Best to be patient and give him the space he needs. And as far as finding someone else to authenticate items - no thank you - I'd rather wait till he's back to work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tom is going through a really tough time right now. It's a personal family issue but suffice to say it would be enough for anyone to want to take a long break from work. On top of that the situation makes it very hard for him to actually get in to work even if he could. He's hoping to be back to work soon but he has a few things to work out to enable this. If there's a lack of communication from his side it's because he's trying to work things out and because it's a personal matter.

If it needs clarifying again: AFA and CIB are not the same thing; other people work for Tom at CIB so he has some support with eBay sales but Tom alone does the authentication and it requires getting into the office which is extremely difficult for him. I don't know if he's now authenticating stuff that's sent to him directly but he certainly wasn't for a number of months. It makes sense that he holds back from authenticating stuff through AFA until he is able to commit to the workload and turnaround time. I'm sure it's a lot easier to manage the workload for stuff he's sent directly.

Perhaps AFA could endeavour to communicate updates on this. I'm presuming the lack of updates mean there are none to give. I know communication is always key but when you're going through such difficult times it's often the hardest thing to do. Tom is a very honest and hard working guy but he's also dedicated to his family. If he's taking a break it's because it's well needed and I'm sure he'll be back soon. Best to be patient and give him the space he needs. And as far as finding someone else to authenticate items - no thank you - I'd rather wait till he's back to work.

Thank you for the update. I hope all ends up well with his situation. I will keep him in my prayers.

Reaction score
I'm presuming the lack of updates mean there are none to give. I know communication is always key but when you're going through such difficult times it's often the hardest thing to do.

Indeed I don't have much else to report at the moment although I wish I did. CIB is a separate company and employs their own personnel, so any listings you see usually aren't done by him.

Reaction score
I hope things at Tom's end take a turn for the better. I've had a few interactions with him over the years and he a good guy and a square dealer.

Reaction score
I wonder what the turn around time is going to be on CIB. I would imagine before this unforeseen event happened there must have been submissions along with those being submitted up until any word got out on his absence. I have a few items I need to send in but I'll wait. I'd be a little upset if my item was still sitting their.

Well ill I hope the best for him and his family.

Reaction score
Well they've suspended all submissions for authentication through CIB right now so they wouldn't accept any submissions.

For anything submitted before Tom took a break they either gave them a revised completion time or returned it if it was after a certain date.

The info is on the website.

Untitled_copy.jpg

Reaction score
Question for AFADudePersonGuy: Are the Boxed Star Wars Black Series 6-inch figures considered Standard or Standard Oversize?

Reaction score
Not at the moment.

Is it really necessary for someone like Tom to write a letter on a Vinyl Cape Jawa?????... seems pretty easy to authenticate. I have one to send it... I do not need a letter, i would just like a AFA grade. Can I still send in and have an employee at AFA authenticate and slab w/ a grade?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it really necessary for someone like Tom to write a letter on a Vinyl Cape Jawa?????... seems pretty easy to authenticate. I have one to send it... I do not need a letter, i would just like a AFA grade. Can I still send in and have an employee at AFA authenticate and slab w/ a grade?

AFA won't grade it without it being authenticated which is currently not happening. Seems silly but it's their choice.

Reaction score
Hoping anyone can shed light on a stupid question....i have a Darth Revan moc that i would like to get graded, everything looks good, except i noticed the inner bubble/tray is bent. Does this affect the grade? The outer bubble looks awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hoping anyone can shed light on a stupid question....i have a Darth Revan moc that i would like to get graded, everything looks good, except i noticed the inner bubble/tray is bent. Does this affect the grade? The outer bubble looks awesome.

Yes, this flaw would affect the overall grade.