Question about the Dagobah playset

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Hey gang- infrequent visitor to this section, I'm sorry to say, so forgive a likely already-asked question! I'm slowly re-building a loose collection of mostly TESB, my primary focus when I was 8-10 years old, and wanted to ask the experts: is it unlikely to find an original "swamp foam" piece for the Dagobah playset due to age/degradation? Should I just get a repro replacement piece and let go my OCD :LOL: ? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
You'll be hard pressed finding original foam that isn't shredded dust. Swap foam is one of the very few items that a repro is acceptable. There's some good quality pre cut replacements out there. You can always make your own also.

Reaction score
I've owned a couple Dagobah playsets with some degraded foam still attached, and honestly it all seems to turn into a gross mess. I don't think I've ever personally seen one with what I'd consider 'good' foam in the swamp. Albeit I'm sure some are out there.

Reaction score
Like StarFin said, I think foam is the one thing people are okay with being reproduction. Although I suggest finding the right type of foam and making one yourself, instead of supporting others who also make repro weapons as well. We had a shipping carton come in where I work, and the packing foam was perfect for swamp making. It's more gray than the original, but I'm fine with it.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the great info! I think I will make my own, I have a little experience with dioramas ;) . So, last question: anyone have a clear pic of the color and exact opening cut shape/size of the original? Edit: our RS archives is lacking a pic, I'll check around the web too...

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to purchase a complete Dagobah playset with the foam 5 years ago.

Happy to say, the foam is still intact, though I dare not even breathe on it. I wonder if there's a way to extend its life at all, or will it inevitably dissolve in time?

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to purchase a complete Dagobah playset with the foam 5 years ago.

Happy to say, the foam is still intact, though I dare not even breathe on it. I wonder if there's a way to extend its life at all, or will it inevitably dissolve in time?
Taxidermist is your best option :D

Joking aside, not really sure. If you never plan on actually using that foam play area, maybe puzzle glue or spray glue.

Results may vary. This post was made for suggestions only. No animals were harmed. Actual test gluing was performed by stunt drivers testing on random reproduction foam.

Reaction score
Honestly if I still had mine I'd consider ditching the foam & making it a critter hole (It never fit the X wing anyways.)

Last edited:
Reaction score

Conserving old foam is a whole thing unto itself since so many movie props and stuff are made out of it. if you look around you can find info on it.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the great info! I think I will make my own, I have a little experience with dioramas ;) . So, last question: anyone have a clear pic of the color and exact opening cut shape/size of the original? Edit: our RS archives is lacking a pic, I'll check around the web too...
I tried my best to duplicate the exact Kenner cut on my piece. When I have a couple extra minutes, I'll try to get some pics, and let you know what I have for length of the cuts.

Reaction score
I wonder if maybe a spritz of clear coat finishing spray paint once every 6 months would prolong the longevity. That is if you had an original piece that is still intact!
This little playset holds a nostalgic place in my brain - i can still remember at age 9 running to the SW aisle at the Child World w Bday cash and snatching it up w along w a Rebel Transport Shuttle- Im quite sure the words from mom were “ its all your bday money- get some legos”

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the custom foam I made. It's probably not 100% Kenner accurate, but this is the best I could come up with from what I could look at and take measurements from. The long cut down the middle is 3" long. I think it's supposed to be more centered than I cut mine, but you get the idea. The smaller cut is 1 1/2" long. They had small holes at the end of each cut to try and prevent the foam from ripping. I did the same and used a 1/16" nail to punch the holes. Again, a bit off center on a couple but it works for my display. Hope that helps!

20200816_160045.jpg

Reaction score
I lucked up and found a mint set with box.... original foam. Its 100% intact but you can tell its delicate.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Wow I never knew those Hoth Trooper suits are effective in the swamps also :D

Nice looking set!

Reaction score
Use slime or Silly Putty instead of foam. That way you can ruin your figures, too.