Question about rarity of misb or graded ESB Tie Fighter and X-wing Fighters

Reaction score
I have been looking to buy a (C-8 MISB/AFA 80 or higher, but I don't even see low grades for sale) MISB or graded ESB tie fighter or x-wing fighter (all 3 versions) to come up for sale on ebay, Dallas Vintage, Brianstoys, etc., on FB groups for years now. But they never come up for sale. Why?

On all of the above mentioned platforms, you will see MISB or graded STARWARS tie fighters and x-wing fighters(way more tie fighters than x-wing fighters with the Starwars box) come up for sale (there are about 7 MISB Starwars Tie Fighters listed on Ebay right now, but not a single ESB one), but you never see a MISB/graded one for sale (or even nice boxed ones for that matter). Are ESB tie fighters and x-wing fighters that much more rare than the the ESB releases? What is behind the huge discrepancies between the two (Empire Strikes Back and Starwars releases)?

I only can come to the conclusion that the ESB tie fighters and x-wing fighters in graded or MISB are much more rarer or collectors just aren't letting them go out of their collections?

True or not? Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this matter? Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I think that’s a great question!

The answer could be the switch to ESB packaging (to coincide with the movie) was occurring just as the factories ended both vehicles’ production runs in 1980. From ‘78 to early ‘80, they could tinker with the packaging and redesign boxes with no real concern for numbers—the toys were flying off both the assembly lines and shelves. You had Long Play, Long Play removal, Side Luke, Palitoy, etc. during those years. But eventually the units ran out. They put whatever was left of that particular piece on the brand new movie packaging and then moved on to something else.

I really do think there were much smaller numbers, resulting in just far fewer extant examples.

Reaction score
Fewer of everything, even real movie props, for ESB seems to exist. It hit a number of sweet (or bitter depending on your perspective) spots.

Reaction score
I really do think there were much smaller numbers, resulting in just far fewer extant examples.

There's any number of factors that probably made this a perfect storm for rarity. The path to MISB is often through the clearance aisle, especially back then. Something that's SO cheap, you buy it even though you don't yet know exactly what you'll do with it (ie, what kid you'll gift it to) then it gets forgotten in a closet. I think, more TIE Fighters would get clearanced than X-Wings.

And yes, they probably made fewer of them. ESB had all NEW medium sized vehicles to sell, Snowspeeders, AT-ST's, Slave I's, Twin Pod Cloud Cars... Kenner probably simply made more of these, because they'd appeal to new fans as well as older kids who already owned an X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

Finally, there's the distinct LACK of things to sell under the original Star Wars logo. I'd guess they overproduced the X-Wing and TIE Fighter, in the 70's, for lack of other comparable ships. That extra warehouse stock woulda been sold along with the first Snowspeeders and such.

Reaction score
I think that’s a great question!

The answer could be the switch to ESB packaging (to coincide with the movie) was occurring just as the factories ended both vehicles’ production runs in 1980. From ‘78 to early ‘80, they could tinker with the packaging and redesign boxes with no real concern for numbers—the toys were flying off both the assembly lines and shelves. You had Long Play, Long Play removal, Side Luke, Palitoy, etc. during those years. But eventually the units ran out. They put whatever was left of that particular piece on the brand new movie packaging and then moved on to something else.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding my question. It makes a lot of sense. I really just wish there were more MISB or graded examples available for sale. I guess if you are an owner of one of these ESB vehicles, you have a pretty rare item that is highly sought (at least from me) after.

Reaction score
I feel the same way about carded ESB figs on ROTJ cards. Their rarity is partly what drove me from MOC collecting. I prefer the ROTJ cards and Kenner put fewer of the ESB figures in the cases when the new ROTJ stuff came out.

Reaction score
What’s funny is that I see quite a few Last 17s carded, because by ‘85 people were starting to get more into the idea of collecting MOC and MIMB. But during those early years, a lot of kids were ripping stuff open to play with. The lack of ESB carded and boxed stuff might be a perfect storm of short card runs and a slightly different buyer type.

Reaction score
What’s funny is that I see quite a few Last 17s carded, because by ‘85 people were starting to get more into the idea of collecting MOC and MIMB. But during those early years, a lot of kids were ripping stuff open to play with. The lack of ESB carded and boxed stuff might be a perfect storm of short card runs and a slightly different buyer type.

Agreed.

Love me some POTF MOC for the card artwork and the coins, but for me the ESB MOC 21 backs are the holy grail for MOC collecting.