Question about 0.45 scale helmets???

Reaction score
I recently bought 3 Master Replics 0.45 scale helmets & thought that I'd add a few more to them so bought a Jango Fett helmet & Commander Gree..., I am also thinking about buying a Darth Vader helmet but I noticed the base is different, it's made by a company called Riddell..., I prefer the little plaques on the front of the Master Replicas so it's not appealing to me really to get the Riddell version & it was only after I'd bought the Jango Fett helmet that I've realised/noticed it has a different base too & is actually made by Gentle Giant, not frilled about the different base but at least it looks better than the Riddell version.

Having said that I thought I'd ask what people thought about the different helmets??? Which are most accurate & what is the build quality like??? Does the cheaper looking base mean Riddell didn't do a very good job with the helmets too or is it that they spent more on the helmets & the base is really just to hold them on, nothing more??? I'm probably going to stick with collecting the Master Replicas helmets & was wondering, did they make a Jango Fett helmet too as I may want to change my Gentle Giant one for that if they did make one (not sure yet though as it's not really part of my new focus)??? If not then I'll just display it else where so that it doesn't look out of place with the rest of the helmets I've bought (& will be buying in future).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Jango was just done by GG, not MR. I had the various Riddell helmets in my collection at one time and they were nice for what they were. I didn't think the bases were cheap at all. And the helmets were good quality. The Riddell Vader was very cool because it could be displayed with the dome off showing the "reveal" details on the mask.

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. :) I may have to be adding the Riddell Darth Vader to my collection afterall then..., it certainly sounds an interesting helmet to have/own, worth a look at the right price!!! :)

Reaction score
The Vader helmet is well worth getting due to the detail of the three pieces that assemble to make the complete helmet.

Reaction score
The Vader helmet is well worth getting due to the detail of the three pieces that assemble to make the complete helmet.
Thanks for the advice, I have my eye on one so I may get it..., curious to have a look at it for myself. :)

Reaction score
Riddell was the first one to do them and came out with Vader, X-wing Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper and 3PO. They then lost the license or it got moved to MR they then release all of them with a different base. MR also released several different Clonetroopers, a variant Stormtrooper, a Wedge Antilles. The Wedge and some of the variants were limited release so they may run more. Then GG got the rights and did the Jango and a few different Vaders before dropping the ball on the line. Here is a website that has some side by side photos.

TonyRB

The bases for the riddell are nice and heavy. Pics make them look cheap but they are nice. I also like the plaque with info on the MR. Didn't pick up the GG ones didn't like base that much, looks cheap.

Reaction score
Riddell was the first one to do them and came out with Vader, X-wing Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper and 3PO. They then lost the license or it got moved to MR they then release all of them with a different base. MR also released several different Clonetroopers, a variant Stormtrooper, a Wedge Antilles. The Wedge and some of the variants were limited release so they may run more. Then GG got the rights and did the Jango and a few different Vaders before dropping the ball on the line. Here is a website that has some side by side photos.

TonyRB

The bases for the riddell are nice and heavy. Pics make them look cheap but they are nice. I also like the plaque with info on the MR. Didn't pick up the GG ones didn't like base that much, looks cheap.
Thanks for the information & the link..., all interesting stuff. :) I only have the Jango Fett by Gentle Giant & I'm not overly fond of the base, prefer the Master Replicas one BUT I am looking to get Darth Vader by Riddell, I'll have at least 1 helmet by each manufacturer then BUT at the moment as I haven't seen a Riddell in the flesh (so to speak) I like the Master Replicas plaque base version best... :)

Reaction score
I have the Riddell Vader and the MR Stormtrooper and Blackhole scaled helmets. Really nice ones! I like the classy base of the old Riddell more then the MR version. An old pic:

Reaction score
I have the Riddell Vader and the MR Stormtrooper and Blackhole scaled helmets. Really nice ones! I like the classy base of the old Riddell more then the MR version. An old pic:

They look very nice together..., I definately want a Darth Vader helmet. The Riddell one I was hoping to bid on has been removed from ebay early for some reason so I'LL have to keep an eye out for one when I come back off of holiday (going to Tenerife for a week tomorrow). Thanks for sharing the photo Sergiu. :)

Reaction score
No problem. Not sure if the MR Vader has removable helmet and the cool details underneath like the Riddell. I know there was some kind of a Radioshack version IIRC which was all glued. BTW enjoy your trip!

Reaction score
No problem. Not sure if the MR Vader has removable helmet and the cool details underneath like the Riddell. I know there was some kind of a Radioshack version IIRC which was all glued. BTW enjoy your trip!
Thanks..., I did enjoy my trip. :) Checked ebay & no Darth Vader helmets so I shall keep checking to see if one pops up..., the Riddell helmet sounds the best, it'll be interesting to know if Master Replicas made their helmet the same or just as a one piece so maybe I'll get both if they come up at a reasonable price!?! :)

Reaction score
If someone comes across a cheap xwing helmet let me know. Looking to do a custom. It doesn't need a box, stand would be nice but I could do with out one.
Are you talking about the 0.45 scale x-wing helmets or a full size one??? If it's the 0.45 scale your after there are literally loads of cheap Luke Skywalker helmets on ebay at the moment, they are going for £13.99 & the seller ships world wide..., not sure if they deliver to your cave on Hoth though?!? lol ;)

Cheapest bidding x-wing helmet (seller has several listings all at the same starting price): -

STAR WARS X-WING LUKE X WING MASTER REPLICAS .45 SCALED HELMET NEW | eBay

Cheapest buy it now listing: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-MASTER-REPLICAS-X-WING-LUKE-X-WING-45-SCALED-HELMET-/190581742072?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item2c5f8e99f8

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about the .45 scale. I don't have the funds or space for full size helmets right now. I will always try to buy from the forums first before I hit ebay. I believe in helping out other collectors and small businesses before I go shopping at chain stores or online. May have to go the ebay route, I've already been looking at a few on ebay. I'm in the US so sometimes the shipping from the UK is what kills. I guess the shoes on the other foot now and I get to deal with overseas shipping.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of shipping fees as they do tend to tarnish a bargain BUT it's the customs charge that annoys me the most, don't see why there should be one for items that aren't being sold on for profit..., collectors should be given a break really. I also definately hate being charged a handling fee by the postal company when I've paid for shipping already but that's money grabbers for you, see an oportunity & they'll screw you over!!! :mad:

Reaction score
Riddell helmet sounds the best, it'll be interesting to know if Master Replicas made their helmet the same or just as a one piece so maybe I'll get both if they come up at a reasonable price!?! :)
MR's version is one piece. The Riddell is the best because of the 3 piece construction. It is also painted with the movie shading - a flatter gun metal grey and black. I would aim for that one first and get the MR if you can get a good deal.

Reaction score
MR's version is one piece. The Riddell is the best because of the 3 piece construction. It is also painted with the movie shading - a flatter gun metal grey and black. I would aim for that one first and get the MR if you can get a good deal.
Indeed, they are the same mold, but the Riddell one is the helmet you want in a collection

Reaction score
Do you have equally good reference photos for all of the above? If so, I'd vote for Porkins and Biggs. Good luck!

Reaction score
Sounds good..., I'd go with Biggs, Dak & Gold Leader if you have the reference photo's for them. :) I look forward to seeing the results of your creativity whenever you've completed your project(s). B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've now got 7 different 0.45 scale helmets..., 1 I bought over 3 weeks ago has finally been delivered today. :) I have 6 Master Replicas helmets (well 7 if you include my 1:1 scale Stormtrooper helmet) & 1 Gentle Giant helmet, they are as follows: -

01) Stormtrooper
02) Boba Fett
03) Luke's X-Wing Fighter (helmet)
04) Clone Trooper
05) 501st Clone Trooper
06) Commander Gree
07) Jango Fett (Gentle Giant)

Just want a Blackhole/Shadow Stormtrooper now & if the other clone troopers come up at a reasonable price I'll get them too (Shocktrooper & Utapau Shadow Trooper)

Reaction score
Both the Shocktrooper & Utapau Shadow Trooper are the most expensive of the scaled helmets. :wtf: Awesome looking but pricey.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm told they were limited editions only 500 of each (Shocktrooper for Europe & Utapau Shadowtrooper for America)..., currently the cheapest Shocktrooper I can find is over £90.00 on ebay (with shipping) so I wont be getting that one anytime soon, I don't mind paying a bit more for something when there's less of them around BUT it's only a paint colour that's different so 3 times more what I've paid for any of the other helmets I've bought just isn't going to happen!!! :|