Queen's Royal Starship

Reaction score
I finally bought the Royal Starship (for the R2-R9) and as I was pulling the ship out, and looking at in instructions, I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would leave this boxed. I mean, figs I can understand, ditto 12" figs and 3 packs, and diorama style vehicles and beast packs. You get to see and admire the toy. But this, the Falcon, F/X X-Wing, your looking at a sealed box. If you display these pieces, it looks like a shelf at Wal-Mart. Open it, you can actually display the toy. On the otherhand, 12 Speeder bike displays quite nicely in the box.

Can anyone that has a Royal Starship please explain this to me?

Darth Ray

Reaction score
Re: Why leave the Royal Starship boxed???

Wish I could Ray, but I open ALL my vehicles and beast-packs. The only items I keep in the packages are Cinema Scenes and carded figures, but I buy doubles of these to have at least one opened. But I guess if you are a MOC and MISB collector, there's really no point to open the Royal Starship, Millenium Falcon, or any of the other vehicles, because you wouldn't have any figures to put in it anyway.

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

Log

Reaction score

Well honestly leaving the ship boxed is a bad idea. The batteries inside it will leak acid over time so inevitably the ship will have to be opened.

Like Matt, I open everything except Cinema Scenes(I do have a few open but they're in their boxes still) and if I want to look at a particular figure in it's original package, I'll buy a double of it to keep carded.

Vehicles are no fun when you leave them in the box IMO.

------------------
"O'Doyle rules!"

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 03-31-2001).]

Reaction score

I always struggle when I get a new carded figure or vehicle. I really want to open them but then I think of how much carded vintage items go for these days. I especially have trouble opening rare figures that I find. But my goal has always been to open everything so they can be posed and seen better. The Royal Star ship is way too cool to leave in a box. I have found with vintage items that as long as the box the item came in is in great shape, it still retains almost full value. Figures are another story. The only vehicle I keep boxed is my vintage Tie Fighter in the Empire box, only to keep it from yellowing. It's a beautiful piece. Other than that I have made a pact with myself to open everything and maybe buy doubles of the rare ones. For sure a room with all carded and boxed merchandice would resemble a store.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Reaction score

It's unlikely that there will be a lot of these boxed, in the future. Most will be opened, and many will have the droid stolen out of them. Most of the collectors will have one boxed somewhere, but at $100 originally (which was about the only time you could find one in s good box), I bet a lot of wannabe collectors were scared off.
So... a good reason to keep it boxed is that there may be a big demand for it someday, especially if the ship plays a bigger part in EP2.

------------------
Qui-Gon, take me away!

Reaction score

Maybe SG2K...but I don't collect to sell it later. I collect to have this stuff displayed. Wether it be loos figures, carded figures, or vehicles. I don't plan on selling my collection, so why bother leaving it in the box?? It's not nearly as good looking as a carded figure, IMO.

------------------

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wook22:
I always struggle when I get a new carded figure or vehicle. I really want to open them but then I think of how much carded vintage items go for these days.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wook, I think I speak for most peoples' opinion here when I say that it is extremely doubtful that modern Star Wars toys will appreciate even a fraction of what vintage has, if for no other reason than there were no collectors back in the 80's stock-piling MIP examples of everything. If potential value is the only thing that's holding you back, I say rip the sucker open and have fun with it.

G

i have 1 rule for ships/playsets.
if i can't see it i open it. that leaves the just y-wing and the skiff in the box. those seem to be boxed for collectors any how since they come with the figure positioned and a nice background.

Reaction score

Hey, I was simply offering a reason why someone might choose to leave one in the box, like the poster asked. I opened mine.

Reaction score

I'm an opener myself, but I sure understand leaving diorama pieces in boxes. Nicely set up, figs don't topple over, dusting and moving is easier. I just still don't understand it for boxes where you can't seel the toy. You can take out the toy and still look at the box. Also, bateries must come out. Future financial gain is the only possible reason to keep it in the box. The only way to make money on these items though is to buy at clearance (if it sells out fast) then sell it shortly thereafter for a profit (like 12" speeder bike at $12.44). But this would make you a scalper. Long tern return, too much out there. No interest in the line after E3, unless a 3rd trilogy comes out. And man is that thing fun to mess with.

BTW, mines still in the box, not enough room at my current place to display it, so I took out the R2-R9, the batteries, played a bit, and stored it. My next house needs a SW room...

Darth Ray

G

i imagine the #1 reason people leave the ships in the box is because they actually care more about having a complete collection than the toys themselves.

Log

Reaction score

But the same rule can apply. They're no fun in the boxes. Load up the skiff with skiff guards and the pack-in Luke Jedi (even though it's a crappy pack-in) and hang the Y-Wing from the ceiling and you'd enjoy them much more. Your choice though.

To hang the Royal Starship from a ceiling and have Fed fighters behind it would be sweet IMO.

Much better than keeping it boxed

------------------
"Are there anymore ***** down there?"
"About the biggest pair you've ever seen dingleberry."-Clerks

G

Alas, my starship is still in it's box. I bought it during the Amazon sale a while back for $50 and couldn't wait to rip it open along with my Millenium Falcon and Elec. X-Wing. Then, once they all arrived, after opening the Falcon and X-Wing, I realized I just didn't have the display room (I live in a one bdrm apt. in NYC). Things store a LOT easier still in the box. I had to put my poor Marmit Sandtrooper back in its box after I actually took it out and assembled him!

So, every once in a while, I'll see the starship but until I get more room, I'm afraid she's grounded.

Reaction score

NYVader, I don't have enough room either, but I opened mine up, assembled it, and then removed the nosecone and put it back in the box. Only the engine finials stick out at all, and I get to enjoy it whenever I want just by sliding it out of the box and playing with it. I love killing that droid, and I love shooting the panels off of this sucker. Great fun.

------------------
"I, your name, pledge allegiance to Hedey Lamarr... that's HEDLEY! and to the evil, for which he stands."

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PodRacer X:
If potential value is the only thing that's holding you back, I say rip the sucker open and have fun with it.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will take your advice. Thanks.

G

Naboo Royal Starship

I just opened my starship and put it together and put batteries in the remote. But there's a problem. My remote won't cause anything to happen. No noise. No movement. What's going on? Has anyone else had this problem with their ship and/or remote? Does anyone know any way I can fix this? Thanks

Reaction score
Re: Naboo Royal Starship

This might be a dumb question, but did you check to see if there are working batteries installed in the actuall ship?

G

Well, it makes all the other noises when I press the buttons so I'm assuming the batteries in there are working. Maybe I should try new batteries in the ship. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Fat Ty (edited 04-07-2001).]

G

Ok, new batteries worked. The original ones must have lost some juice or something. Thanks.

Reaction score

I have this problem. For some reason, the remote won't activate the noises and lights unless you activate one of the built in sounds on the Starship first.

Reaction score

Commander Antilles....I think this is because the ship goes into a power-save mode if not used for a while.

------------------

G

Yes, that is true. The button on the back, closest to the middle is the 'on' button. You have to hit that button in order to turn it on and after 30 seconds the ship turns itself off.

GNT

Reaction score

What a smart ship,turning its self off!

Reaction score
Royal Starship

I've finished my E1 figures collection and I'm now going to move into the vehicles in a more serious way and thought I'd start with the big mutha first - being in the UK where it seems to be illegal to stock any SW toys the only place I manged to find one was Toy Palace in Germany for USD 130 + shipping. Anybody tell me if it's actually worth this or if I should shop around a bit on the auctions to try to pick one up cheaper as this prices seems over the top.

Ziz

Reaction score
Re: Royal Starship

You answered your own question...shop around. If you find a better price, go for it. If not, at least you know you're not getting screwed paying $130.

------------------
"Your father was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be a legitimate collector and became a greedy scalper. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed."

Reaction score

As far as the toy itself goes, it's easily one of the best vehicle/playsets in the entire Star Wars line ever. It's really wonderful.

But $130 + S&H sounds really steep. I don't know how scarce they were in Britain, but you can get complete loose vintage ships in the USA for that kind of dough. They didn't really move off the shelves here until they dropped down to $50.

Shop around. Look at images of it, and decide what it's worth to you. It may well be worth that. Lord knows, I've spent "too much" money on items I really REALLY wanted, and don't regret it.

G

I just got my royal starship for £37.99 from www.redpumpkin.com and its a really great piece,worth every penny.Dont pay the sort of price you quoted though im sure you will get a better deal if red pumpkin have sold out.Go to http://pub8.ezboard.com/bthecantina90039 a really great UK site that will be able to help you out.Good luck.

------------------
"PERHAPS I CAN FIND NEW WAYS TO MOTIVATE THEM"

Reaction score

Don't know if they have the starship, but thetoyshop.com is another good source of Star Wars toys for you Brits.

Reaction score

Many thanks for your advice - I just picked up the local newspaper though and got one private through the classified ads for £15 - the box is smashed up but I don't want that anyway. I picked it up this afternoon and it's the best vehicle I've ever seen !

Reaction score

A good place for us in England is a shop called Forbiden Planet but there are only about 7 of them in the country I got the queens ship for £40 and also the new Fett for only £17 they also had some collection 1 Power of the Jedi Maul, Qui-Gon etc they also have EP 1 and POTF II figures as well as lego star trek simsons, futarama and more

Reaction score

I think the best price I've seen the royal starship for on the net was $49.99 from kbkids.com, but I don't know if they have anymore. You could also look at the Toysrus/Amazon site to see what they're charging and availability...I would guess it's comparable. I have also seen a bunch of other sites selling it for $90-$130 depending on where you look. What a DEAL!

------------------

G

I got mine for about $49.00 US off ebay a while ago and let me tell you it's the most awesome star wars toy there is. I can't recommend getting one of these bad boys quickly enough.

WHen I put this baby together I felt like I was 10 years old again and it was like those good old star wars christmas days!

Can you tell I love this thing?

------------------
Whats the deal with corn nuts?

G

they still have some here at toys r us for $49.99

Reaction score
royal starship

picked up the royal starship today at KB on clearance for 29.99! It's the first starship i've bought since i was a kid - and WOW! very, very cool set.

an absolute nightmare with the decals,though! sheesh! who's idea was that?

Reaction score
Re: royal starship

Congrats on scoring one of the best E1 items out there! Yes, it is a very cool piece. Lots of playability. And yes, all those stickers are a pain to put in. Hope you have a good hour.

G

I paid $50 for mine a definitly feel as though I got my money's worth. It's probably the second coolest of the vehicles I own. I'm a bit partial to the AT-AT.

G

Good Deal! I just sold one of mine on ebay for $54.

Reaction score

Great price on a fantastic ship.

Reaction score

I bought mine when they were still $100. I don't regret it though....it's still one of my favorites. I did wait for the Fambaa to drop in price though!