Prototypes or first shots

Reaction score
I picked up about 65 starwars figures at an estate sale out of them three of them does not have any date or COO on the back of the legs is there anywhere that I can find out information about them and if there’s any extra value thank you for any information

C3po Removable limbs
tie fighter pilot

AT-AT Commander

Reaction score
Start with this link:

https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/introduction-coos/

What you have are a few of the "no coo" figures. Towards the end of the line it was easier for Kenner to just produce the coo on the cardback rather than changing the molds each time the country it was produced in change. It was a pain and costly to change the molds from "Hong Kong" to "China" to "Taiwan" etc. There are some collectors out there who only collect "no coo" figures and others who are completists and have to have one of every coo. But start with the link above because it's a great source for the history of SW coo's.

Reaction score
Start with this link:

https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/introduction-coos/

What you have are a few of the "no coo" figures. Towards the end of the line it was easier for Kenner to just produce the coo on the cardback rather than changing the molds each time the country it was produced in change. It was a pain and costly to change the molds from "Hong Kong" to "China" to "Taiwan" etc. There are some collectors out there who only collect "no coo" figures and others who are completists and have to have one of every coo. But start with the link above because it's a great source for the history of SW coo's.
I'm not sure the assessment is correct - none of these even have dates! You don't see that everyday.

On the Country part of the COO (or where it would usually be), these look pretty darn smooth - not like what you usually see when the COO is filled on the mould. Even if these were a poor shot, or from a mould with worn dates, I think you'd see more residual indications, and the rest of the casting doesn't look off.

I'm by no means an expert, just handled my fair share of figs and on every one of them, check out for No COO and out-of-the ordinary markings.

Great info on COOs. For more pictures, I'd also add http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-COO-Guide-h14.htm

Reaction score
I agree that it is odd that the dates are missing as well. I can't tell if it's a RL C3PO or or original. If it's an original ANH C3PO it's sort of interesting that there are ESB figs with the same lack of markings. If it is RL C3PO then something else could be going on since they would all three be ESB figs. Hmmmmm, hope someone responds that has more info because it is certainly interesting.

Reaction score
From the photos the entire copyright markings do indeed appear to be missing, so if they are legitimate and not altered in any way then they would be first shots and quite valuable. I would reach out to Tom Derby at CIB to authenticate them and provide a COA which will help you if you intend to sell them.

Reaction score
From the photos the entire copyright markings do indeed appear to be missing, so if they are legitimate and not altered in any way then they would be first shots and quite valuable. I would reach out to Tom Derby at CIB to authenticate them and provide a COA which will help you if you intend to sell them.
Could I just send an email through the website of AFA to get a hold of him or is there a certain way to get a hold of him this will be my first time ever submitting something would there be anything special on the form that I would have to fill out and for his weapon I see different colors a gray one and a black one what color should it be for the original I would like to find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could I just send an email through the website of AFA to get a hold of him or is there a certain way to get a hold of him this will be my first time ever submitting something would there be anything special on the form that I would have to fill out and for his weapon I see different colors a gray one and a black one what color should it be for the original I would like to find one
And I thought I would add a little bit of the story on how I inquired them I personally know the person that does the EstateSales so I got to go in early to purchase them and as I was there the owner son of the house they were his and he told me the story that his dad‘s best friend used to work at Kenner and every time he come down to visit he would bring him an action figure i’m not sure how much water that story holds but I would like to believe it’s true

Reaction score

You can do it through AFA or directly through CIB. AFA would require an online form.

If you want them graded you would need to have the weapons with them. The TFP has a grey pilot blaster.

Reaction score
That would be a nice score if they turn out to be first shots. Good luck

Reaction score
I hope their first shots! There in good condition also! You might have your Star Wars Estate Sale Lotto Ticket???

Reaction score
I ordered the weapon it should be here by Friday then I’m going to shortly send them out to AFA I believe it’s somewhere around 100 bucks per guy to get graded I sure hope it’s worth it if they grade good does anyone might know what the value may be

Reaction score
If they are first shots you're looking at a few thousand,making the $100 a fig to get graded well
worth the investment . K

Reaction score
ROI, you don't say.

I wonder how many 1st Shots AFA has graded, total, to this point ?

Reaction score
Well they’re packaged up and shipped off to AFA we’ll see what happens

Reaction score
So I received one of the four action figures I sent off which was snaggletooth Blue he came back as a 70 Ex plus The other three got shipped out today and they’re on their way back this is the email I received I’m assuming they are all certified as first shots if they’re sending a COA with them

Reaction score
I would hope if it was rejected they'd let you know and ask how to proceed in casing it up etc.

So sounds promising! can't wait to hear how it went!

Reaction score
I believe they will be but not sure if they weren’t I don’t see why they would send a COA with it

If you submitted them as first shots, they would have notified you if they weren't ,and then they would ask if you still wanted them sealed In cases or not. I just went through this with my DT luke. They notified me and said the inner filament was fake and asked how I wanted to proceed.

You're probably fine. Nice!!and congrats

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I received one of the four action figures I sent off which was snaggletooth Blue he came back as a 70 Ex plus The other three got shipped out today and they’re on their way back this is the email I received I’m assuming they are all certified as first shots if they’re sending a COA with them

Sounds positive. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

If you’re looking to sell these make sure you get some objective help with value before you consider accepting any offers. Even regular undated first shots are quite valuable these days.

Reaction score
Sounds positive. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

If you’re looking to sell these make sure you get some objective help with value before you consider accepting any offers. Even regular undated first shots are quite valuable these days.
I will post more pictures as soon as I get them in should be tomorrow or Saturday hopefully I’ve been doing a lot of research and haven’t had very much luck on coming to up with a value I most likely will be selling them thanks everyone for the replies

Reaction score
So I just received them in the mail very happy when I open the box here are the pictures all three of them are first shots and a picture of the blue snaggletooth I sent off The only thing I don’t like is the way they did the bag for C-3PO how it sits behind him instead of on the side now I just got to figure out and determine value

Reaction score
An estate sale, unreal. o-o

Congratulations on the find!
Yes I pick them up at in the estate sale in a lot of about 67 action figures total almost all of them complete with weapons a few of them didn’t up till then I didn’t even really know these existed I collected Star Wars but not to that extent of looking at every detail until I got this lot that’s when I noticed the difference and started asking questions I think everybody for the reply

Reaction score
Fantastic! And nicely displayed in the cases. However see what you mean about the c3po. The net is usually displayed behind the figure but in this situation it’s probably not a great choice as it’s covering the area where the COO markings would be.

I’m a bit out of touch on prices these days but you are definitely looking at a few $k for each.

Reaction score
So I went through my figures and of course, nope.

I'm sure I'm not the only one :'(

Anyway, I do see that my paploo has no markings as well as lumat. I have 1 complete and 2 loose samples and all 3 have no markings that I can see. So that rules him out. I only have the one paploo so I can't compare him to others. The weird part is all of my other ewoks have markings. Why not these 2 ?

But, I can't find any markings on my gonk droid what so ever. Is this common?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Paploo and Lumat don’t have COO markings. Power Droid should be on inside of leg (very small).

Reaction score
There is something not quite right with that 3po guys. All known first shots have a screw where the metal river is. All non sonic welded and black plastic underneath the gold..
however this could be first shot limbs put onto a production torso.

I have owned both Original fixed 1977 & Removable limbs first shots also Engineering pilot with design change toros transitioning from RL to fixed limbs.

The other character look like full first shot figures tho! I agree with Oli on that.

I am 99% sure Tom Derby would agree with me.

if you want to PM me I can send Tom a text message and ask him directly for you.

cheers

Vince.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you take off the limbs of the 3po RL and show the inside of the torso, what colour is the plastic that holds the limbs in place?
Thats 100% an original 77 fixed limbs torso.

my old E.P had an original 77 torso but was missing the metal rivet at the back which is an original 3po design. The 1983 RL 3po has a molded Plastic circle where this metal rivet is on your one. There is also different plastics used underneath the gold of production torso’s but none are black like all first shots.

I picked up about 65 starwars figures at an estate sale out of them three of them does not have any date or COO on the back of the legs is there anywhere that I can find out information about them and if there’s any extra value thank you for any information

C3po Removable limbs
tie fighter pilot

AT-AT Commander

Reaction score
Can you take off the limbs of the 3po RL and show the inside of the torso, what colour is the plastic that holds the limbs in place?
Thats 100% an original 77 fixed limbs torso.

my old E.P had an original 77 torso but was missing the metal rivet at the back which is an original 3po design. The 1983 RL 3po has a molded Plastic circle where this metal rivet is on your one. There is also different plastics used underneath the gold of production torso’s but none are black like all first shots.
Sorry I cannot remove the lambs it’s already in the grading case and it came with A coa from Tom Derby

Last edited:
Reaction score
#Sorry my bad totally missed these got graded. I was cooking breakfast this morning when replying on this post from my phone. On my laptop now and just read through the whole thread.

Congratulations on getting them all graded & authenticated by Tom D.

The RL first shot looks more of less the same as one I used to own, that one has a few unique markings on it mind you which differ from other known first shots.

I totally got mixed up when first reading this thread and didn’t realise it was a RL first shot. Though it was meant to be an original 77 fixed limbs, hence me rabbiting on about the black plastic underneath the gold (ignore me idiot moment) that’s what I get for not reading through the whole thread and noticing they had been graded either lol my bad.

Sorry I cannot remove the lambs it’s already in the grading case and it came with A coa from Tom Derby

Last edited:
Reaction score
#Sorry my bad totally missed these got graded. I was cooking breakfast this morning when replying on this post from my phone. On my laptop now and just read through the whole thread.

Congratulations on getting them all graded & authenticated by Tom D.

The RL first shot looks more of less the same as one I used to own, that one has a few unique markings on it mind you which differ from other known first shots.

I totally got mixed up when first reading this thread and didn’t realise it was a RL first shot. Though it was meant to be an original 77 fixed limbs, hence me rabbiting on about the black plastic underneath the gold (ignore me idiot moment) that’s what I get for not reading through the whole thread and noticing they had been graded either lol my bad.
No worries I appreciate all the information I can get I’m new to this kind of collecting