Protective Sleeves for Artwork

Reaction score
This was briefly touched on in one thread.......

Could we use this thread moving forward for a place to put a variety of links to sites that sell protective sleeves for many sizes of art work.

I have numerous litho's, prints, etc. that I'd love to get unrolled or folded and put into these laying flat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

DB

Reaction score
Same here - I'd love to find some types of mylar sleeves. I seem to recall Bill Cole Enterprises being a player in this sort of thing. They even sold one-sheet mylars at some point, but usually they sell in bulk. Perhaps if we find one order source we could split an order up?

Reaction score
There are dealers at the larger cons that sell them. I'm just not sure what you'd do a search for online. There's always a guy at WW Philly and SDCC I see each year that sells them. I may have to stock-up myself.

Reaction score
Yes I purchased these for my comic books and always find them at a local comic book store..mylar sleeves...there are some on Ebay...also have a look here Sleeve protectors

although the biggest I have are for 11"x17" photos...check out the site it has many options that might suit your needs. Hope it helps

Coz

Reaction score
I am using a couple different methods to store my prints flat.
One is just a storage bin. I can fit up to sizes 18x24 safely. My particular bin has little wheels, so there are 4 wheel wells inside. I just cut a piece of cardboard to fit over the wells. Then I just stack them flat. Usually with something in between the prints, like acid free paper.

Also Blick has a wide range of protectors. I bought a variety of sizes of alvin art envelopes. They are not cheap but hold two prints each. With my bigger prints I used the envelopes, then hung them on a piece of cardboard so I could stand them up. It's easier to store the big prints vertically.

Alvin art envelopes:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/35/

The storage bin.

Alvin Envelope.

Reaction score
The alvin envelopes are good for standard type artwork & posters, but there is very limited sleeves for large One Sheet posters, which i have quite a few of.

I bought some 42 x 30" bags from a company on Ebay.

I then got some 40 x 30" acid free board, mounted the prints / posters onto each side of the board using photo pocket corners (again acid free) and then placed them into the bags.
These were then sealed at the open end using tape that art studios use for holding down work (milky coloured tape)

I am in the process of building a wooden frame, V shape so that i can store them side on, and the flick through them to view.

The bags are ok, not anywhere near Mylar quality, but then if you can afford Mylar quality poster sleeves, then congrats, you must be a serious collector.I am more than happy with my method. Keeps the prints flat, clean and i can view them rather than have them all rolled up in tubes.

Just type in 42 x 30 bags on the 'bay and see what shows up. I think the company i used are based in Texas.

Reaction score
Are the itoya folders any good? What's the best way to flatten rolled posters?

I'm pretty new to poster art collecting so hopefully I can get some good guidance here.

Thx.

Reaction score
My artwork is first placed in mylar sleeves and then into portfolios.

I buy my protective sleeves here:

E. Gerber Products

They seem to have the best prices around, and their reputation is quite strong...having supplied archival materials to the Smithsonian, etc.

Scott

Reaction score
Scott_Matthews said:
My artwork is first placed in mylar sleeves and then into portfolios.

I buy my protective sleeves here:

E. Gerber Products

They seem to have the best prices around, and their reputation is quite strong...having supplied archival materials to the Smithsonian, etc.

Scott
Thanks Scott........

This may be the site I order from.

Could you share a few pics of your items inside these sleeves?

Reaction score
I wish I had some pics available for you, but I can't take any at the moment.

If it helps, I generally order the Archives (4 mm) with one open end. For example, for standard comic art pages, I use 1218R. They also let you order any number of sleeves, not just 10, 50, or 200. Of course, the more you order, the cheaper they are!

Hope that helps some,

Scott

Reaction score
Man, I wish I'd paid attention to this thread earlier. I had a lot of problems after getting photos autographed and buying some prints from WWLA this weekend. Now I know to bring sleeves with me next time. I could find anything to put them in at the con!

Coz

Reaction score
I picked up an Itoya portfolio at comic con. It holds up to 18x24. While I do have bigger prints, many are 18x24 or below. This seemed like a good way to be able to at least look at some of my collection without touching them. I like it so far. It was only 45 bucks and holds up to 48 prints.

Reaction score
Coz -

That looks incredible.

I'm sold! Gotta get one of these pronto.

BTW ~ any chance I can use a Jedi mind trick on you and convince you to let me buy that AH Fett print. I must own that.

Reaction score
Does it come in any other sizes? I'd like to put all my McQuarrie prints from the portfolios in one....

Coz

Reaction score
Yes it comes in many sizes, if you click on the pick with the label you can see all the sizes. there are quite a few.

Keepin that AH fett.

Reaction score
Hedji said:
Looks like several sizes are available, and at a discount
Thanks for the link!

I'll probably pick up the 18x24 and...after I measure the McQuarrie portfolio prints, one or two for those!

Reaction score
These will be great for getting autographs and keeping them safe during a con too. The link is a great help, I know I'll be using it very soon.

Reaction score
Waiting on a CJ print to arrive, as well as a ROTJ McQuarrie portfolio - then I'll be ordering a couple of the item mentioned above.

Coz - do the Staggs prints fit?

Reaction score
I stopped in at a HobbyLobby last week and picked up a 11"x14" profolio. It works great for putting autographed pics and some small art prints I have in.

Reaction score
SITHSPAWN said:
I stopped in at a HobbyLobby last week and picked up a 11"x14" profolio. It works great for putting autographed pics and some small art prints I have in.
Ahhh, didn't realize HobbyLobby had these in store.....

Reaction score
I was just wasting time while waiting for somebody and decided to check it out. It cost me $15.99 plus tax. The 11"x14" was the largest they had though.

Reaction score
SITHSPAWN said:
I was just wasting time while waiting for somebody and decided to check it out. It cost me $15.99 plus tax. The 11"x14" was the largest they had though.
Ohh, I see. I need much larger! Thanks for saving me a trip.

Coz

Reaction score
DarthBeek said:
Waiting on a CJ print to arrive, as well as a ROTJ McQuarrie portfolio - then I'll be ordering a couple of the item mentioned above.

Yes they do. Got both of mine out of storage today and put them in the portfolio.

Reaction score
Coz said:
DarthBeek said:

Yes they do. Got both of mine out of storage today and put them in the portfolio.
Sweet. Good to know.

Reaction score
Finally purchased (online), the Itoya portfolio 18x24 ....

can't wait to get and fill it up! Thanks again to Coz for the head's up on this product.

Reaction score
Coz said:
Let us know if your happy with it when it comes in.
Will do Coz!

The place called me and let me know they were out of stock on it, but more were coming in midweek. I should have by Friday....and I'm glad, since my spare bedroom has prints laying everywhere!

Reaction score
My portfolio arrived yesterday! I started putting my prints in and so far, so good. Looks great!

Reaction score
My wife was going shopping today and I put one of these folders on her shopping list.

My public thanks to Coz for this [censored] brillant idea!

Coz

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys are diggin them.
It's nice to be able to look at your prints.

Reaction score
I don't own that many but I did end up buying one at AC Moore yesterday. I had a 50% of coupon. The largest size they had was 14x17 so I doesn't fit some of my bigger preint but for the smaller stuff I have it's great.

Thanks again Coz!

Reaction score
After obtaining the 18x24 portfolio, I wish they offered the same set up in say a 27x40 / 24x36 .......then ALL of my prints/posters would be in a viewable set up.

Reaction score
You would think they would make somehting like this for poster sized prints and well for posters too.

I did see at the Hobby Lobby and AC Moore the big Portfolio briefcases but it was more for storage. You couldn't flip through any prints or posters.

Reaction score
CA ~ I was at a Hobby Lobby over the weekend, and noticed the "carriers" too .... but only had limited sizes on the flip books Coz alerted us to.

I recall, when I was working downtown Chicago, an Art store (Blick??) that featured TONS of cool portfolios. I need to visit that store again.