Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries 3D Printed 1/6 Scale Gonk Droid

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow this is excellent ! really detailed work . You dont see the gonk droid come up often, i like these guys. this is well done !!

Reaction score
That is really damn cool! I know that some people are complaining about the scoring from 3D printed items, but I don't think you even notice at this scale.
The paint apps you applied hide the imperfections from the printing process: this little droid looks fantastic!

Now we'll have to see how well the scoring shows up at a 3.75" scale...

Reaction score
That is really damn cool! I know that some people are complaining about the scoring from 3D printed items, but I don't think you even notice at this scale.
The paint apps you applied hide the imperfections from the printing process: this little droid looks fantastic!

Now we'll have to see how well the scoring shows up at a 3.75" scale...

Thanks! I actually have a process for smoothing over the surfaces on my 3D printed parts that works pretty well. The only problem I ran into here is that the Gonk did not fit in the jar I use, so once I buy a few supplies any more Gonks I make will be just as smooth as my other printed figures. Plus, you are right, all the weathering and abuse helps hide that last little bit of surface imperfection I did not clean up. I'm thinking about making a second body with the multiple tiers like seen in the Prequels to get some more variety, and then maybe I'll pick up GG's jumbo vintage Power Droid to start a whole family :)

Reaction score
That is beautiful work all around. Great modeling and a wonderful paint job. I'm actually ordering a 3D printer myself tonight, so I'd be interested to hear how you do your smoothing.

Reaction score
That is beautiful work all around. Great modeling and a wonderful paint job. I'm actually ordering a 3D printer myself tonight, so I'd be interested to hear how you do your smoothing.
Thanks! I've actually written a couple posts about the process on my site. It's easier to link to the articles with all the photos and videos than try to explain it here:
Acetone vapor bath description
Acetone vapor bath video

I've written quite a few articles about my printer, my design process, and the path from computer model to finished figure on my site, so anyone interested in 3D printing or making things in general should definitely take a look:
Prometheus Rising Studios

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who doesn't like the scoring on 3D printed stuff, but that looks incredible. Brilliant work on the paint job!