Princess Leia - Bespin Escape Outfit

GNT

Reaction score
This was posted in the News and rumour thread so thought I'd start up a speculation thread on Princess Leia in her Bespin Escape Outfit as Hasbro did mention they are looking to release her in this outfit in the next couple of years. Which is good news.

Here's the QnA:

ActionFigs.com: The recent update to Hoth Leia has taken off, it seems to be moving off TVC pegs, and fans appreciate how good a figure it is with sculpting and articulation working together so well for such a classic Leia outfit. With that in mind, ESB offers 2 more Leia outfits that need similar treatment, the Bespin Gown outfit and the Bespin Escape outfit. The last Bespin Escape Leia, which is one of the character's signature action sequences in the saga, was back in the POTJ line in 2001, and was limited in articulation so to be stuck in an action pose. The last Bespin Gown Leia had very little articulation and even less usable, leaving it a statue. What are the chances that we could get modern-quality updates to these 2 iconic ESB Leia outfits?

Hasbro: The chances are good that both of these figures will see light of day in the next several years, with one of them being slated for next year in the Vintage lineup. However, the Bespin gown version figure may not be as super-articulated as the more action-oriented figures due to her outfit.

Since we have a Bespin Gown thread please keep the discussion of that outfit to that thread, so who here wants to see a Bespin Escape Leia figure? Is she really needed? Thoughts on this news?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think she is very needed. The old figure looks spiffy enough, but talk about a one pose wonder...the arms are not multiple scene friendly to be sure. Yep, I will happily buy this one when she turns up in 2011. (She's a good companion to the long awaited Han Bespin -- although I don't think they actually appear together in these two outfits...) But yeah, I feel pretty certain that she will arrive first, before he Bespin Gowned counterpart. Something about the way they were so vague on the Bespin Gown's articulation made it seem like that one was still more in the early planning stages.

Reaction score
Obi_Han said:
I would be a big supporter of a new Bespin Escape Leia...
Same.

I just noticed this was for Bespin Escape not Bespin Gown.

I mean, yeah I'd take one. I am not in urgent need of an update, but if they update Bespin Gown and can use Hoth Outfit, then why not? But it might be one of those "wait for clearance" figures.

Reaction score
This one is needed, and will be welcome to see, although it will be very little new, only new forearms, new lower legs and a new headsculpt on what we already have.

Of course with the new arm pieces, we'll be all ready for an Asteroids/Mynock Hunt/Falcon repair Leia - which would be a nice extra version.

'78

Reaction score
Most of us knew this retool was coming - once Hasbro makes a SA or otherwise upgraded sculpt, they'll reuse it the first chance they get. I really look forward to seeing this outfit though, its the Leia outfit I want the most because the POTJ version is in an action pose.

Reaction score
macross7 said:
So just a rerelease of the Hoth Leia without the vest. Big whoopiedoo.
They better rework the arms/torso because if it's just Hoth Leia minus the vest literally, that figure will look terrible.

Reaction score
Yes. It'll be a pretty thorough retool. Its not just a simple head swap and a vest removal... The arms and legs all need to be reworked.

Reaction score
Um, yeah. That would so be the wrong head...

The thing I love about this outfit is how it's kinda odd storyline wise. I mean, Leia is caught along with everybody else, and unlike her first capture in ANH, here she somehow is...forced to change her clothes... Okay, so Han is tortured on camera, Threepio has been blasted into bits, Chewbacca is tormented horribly with sound, and Leia? Leia has to...she has to...change her clothes.

I can hear Vader now...

"And as for you, Princess Leia, no more glamorous Bespin Gown. Yes...You, too, shall suffer. Commander, see it to her dirty old rags find their way in here..."

Lando: "You said she would continue to wear what I gave her to wear!"

Vader: "I'm altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."

As the Dark Lord stalks off, Lando looks to Leia sadly.

Lando: "Leia, I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

Leia: "Oh, shut up, Lando. Just shut up."

Reaction score
count me in... this is my favorite outfit of Leia and always will be... I'm a huge Bespin Escape Leia and can't wait to get her in my collection... I still love the first POTJ figure but she needs a nice update SA vintage style figure... I'd buy mulitples of her if she looks amazing.

YES YES YES please please please Hasbro give us a new Bespin Escape Leia in the 2011 lineup....

Reaction score
I am curious if they will use the VC Leia Hoth body without the vest (which, to me looks a little awkward without it on) or if they'll give her entire new sculpt? Of course, we DO expect new legs and ankle articulation

Reaction score
have to say that I was kinda of sad that Hasbro didn't have a teaser pic of an upcoming Leia with the exception of Sandstorm Leia... was really hoping that SDCC would reveal whether Hasbro was going to treat us to a new Bespin Gown or Bespin Escape Leia.

Reaction score
DarkArtist said:
have to say that I was kinda of sad that Hasbro didn't have a teaser pic of an upcoming Leia with the exception of Sandstorm Leia... was really hoping that SDCC would reveal whether Hasbro was going to treat us to a new Bespin Gown or Bespin Escape Leia.
this would be a good Q+A question. This is the type of thing they will answer. A Lumat question would be another good one, "which Lumat are we getting"?

Reaction score
I'd love to have a new B.E. Leia...the POTJ version was just a scaled-down "Epic Force" 6" figure. Hope this Leia's ankles don't end up like the VC Admiral Ackbar ankles

Reaction score
I kind of thought they might release the Bespin Gown version first, since the vintage cards might go on hiatus next year and it's an opportunity to check off another vintage figure.

Reaction score

I think the likeness on this older figure is great, although on this specific figure, the paint application is slightly off. I know it probably won't happen, but I'd be fine with them reusing this head for the Bespin Escape Outfit.

Reaction score
I want the Bespin Gown Leia... I don't see the hype for a Bespin Escape one. It's really bland to be honest. :p

Will just be a Hoth Leia with new hands calves, feet, and a head. I think it's good to thrown in with the Slave One.

Bespin Gown Leia is the far better single carded choice. But I'm getting both, so I don't care.

Reaction score
I don't mind which one they go with. I'd buy both regardless.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a fake card back for the Bespin outfit Leia?

Reaction score
I don't really see any need for a new Bespin Gown Leia, the last one they did was very well done. I realize it doesn't have much articulation or movement, but why does it need it? I guess she sits one time while wearing that outfit in the movie if you're trying to recreate scenes, but I don't see the necessity.

Reaction score
I want the Bespin Gown Leia... I don't see the hype for a Bespin Escape one. It's really bland to be honest. :p

Will just be a Hoth Leia with new hands calves, feet, and a head. I think it's good to thrown in with the Slave One.

Bespin Gown Leia is the far better single carded choice. But I'm getting both, so I don't care.
For me, Escape is much more viasble and important in the film and so thats why I prefer that figure. Its pretty much the ESB look for Leia for the majority of the film and in many of the most important scenes. Also because it was never made in the old Vintage it had people wishing for one for years and it never came (until much later).

The Gown has that great Vintage nostalgia behind it, but it was a very minor look in the film. It terms of screen time it was very small and not important.

So thats why there is a big hype. To me, I prioritise the important looks in the films, and Escape was Leias look for ESB. So I would love an updated one.

Reaction score
If we can only have one Leia, I hope it's Escape, but I also hope it's mostly new parts. The torso is really all that I want to see re-used. Her hips and thighs are too big without the added bulk of the vest.