Price Increase .... To expensive?

Reaction score
Drizzit said:
I am not a fan of the fig style. I am not a fan of paying more for something I am not a fan of. There for I will not purchase these. Based on what a lot of people are saying, these should be easy to find when they come out since very few people are saying they will be buying them.
The thing is you see a lot of people claiming they won't buy them. Wait until the movie and series comes out. More people will buy them than claiming they won't. Another aspect is that this "toy" line will draw in the kids....

There will be peg warmers but I don't see many due to every figure being a new sculpt.

Then if you factore in ANY of these figures being hard to find you'll have all the scalpers foaming at their mouth to acquire them for resale. I guess they gotta pay their rent somehow.

Personally I really think a price increase is a bad move. I still find it amazing I can buy a starwars figure for $6.63 and go one rack over and see a GI-JOE for $4.88. Almost 2 dollars difference for the same amount of paint and plastic.

Reaction score
I think that has to do with the fact that star wars is more popular than G.I Joe

Reaction score
I'd hardly call Star Wars more popular than G.i Joe at this point. Joe has a major motion picture in the works where SW is done and over with. Sure there's a cartoon coming out but few of us care, I know I don't...and the live action show..the more I hear the less I care. To be honest I was a child during the vintage days and grew up with SW but at this stage I'm starting to see 1985 all over again. LOL This time it truly doesn't bother me a bit. I'm burned out with the franchise, there's been far too much product released over the last several years and at the rate everything is released one always felt compelled to buy as much as possible because of the way "waves" are released and the always subectable scalper/horder/collector.
Fact is I'm obviously not alone, the price increase along with the rest is slowly driving the line to death. Time to move on.

Reaction score
I found what Ill be spending my SW money on this year. Halo figures by mcfarlane toys. Master Chief has 18 points of articulation, is about twice the size of a SW figure and costs less then ten bucks.

Reaction score
FellintoOblivion said:
I found what Ill be spending my SW money on this year. Halo figures by mcfarlane toys. Master Chief has 18 points of articulation, is about twice the size of a SW figure and costs less then ten bucks.

I feel the same way and totally agree with your points. Halo figures seems like a bargin.

Reaction score
Higher price on Star Wars figures + animated style on half the year's product + the debut of Sideshow's Jurassic Park line = for the first time in a long time, Hasbro will not be getting most of my collecting funds.

Reaction score
We all pay the George Lucas Tax when we collect Star Wars. It's just part of the deal. Other properties are either owned by the toy company (GI JOE) or the licensing fees are less astronomical. It's difficult to compare Star Wars to other toy lines' prices.

Reaction score
Our figures up here are anywhere between $8.99-$9.99 at retail. Personally I don't mind a price increase if I'm getting a better quality figure. Articulation, sculpt, accessories, size, all these things factor into the price. I have to admit some of these figures are amazing, Gree for instance and Hasbro put alot of plastic into Hermie. I don't like paying more for a rehash/repaint but that's all part of the game.

Reaction score
GNT said:
The subject has been slightly touched on over in the TAC section but thought I'd post it here as well since it's a new section.

Hasbro have posted a media release here with details of the new toy producs coming this year. The Clone Wars figures will retail for $7.99 each.

Do you feel Hasbro has gone past what they should be charging? Will the cost factor into you buying this line?

Thoughts on the increase?
Good grief ... thanks for the info .... i already stopped collecting Titanium vehicles after the latest hike on those.

geez the two new waves coming equate to $56 as it comes to $7.10 each after the state tax of 5 cents on the dollar.

I WAS a completist on that line too until then.

$7.99 for CW figures.

Time for collectors to start a boycott, they were already overpriced to begin with.

go look at figures for other lines .... you will quickly see the markup.

i am sure Lucasfilm royalties figure into this but seriously for diecast stuff $7 each for Titanium vehicles is simply outrageous. You can buy 5 packs of hotwheels for $5!!

It is too bad too because what can I really do about it except not buy the stuff.

sad ...

Reaction score
It will most definitely adjust how much I buy and what I buy... Come on, $7.99 a figure? I understand that prices constantly rise with inflation and all that economic jargon...

Anybody who knows anything about economics knows there's an equalibrium of price and demand... I don't think the $7.99 adjustment will totally throw that off but it will affect how much/what is bought by me!

Reaction score
FellintoOblivion said:
Go post in a Halo figures website.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
FellintoOblivion said:
Go post in a Halo figures website.
Ohhh....

Reaction score
sdouhwequiophnpifuhqpeu h;ouh ... that is how I feel... The Indie line is already 7.50 here.... BS I say...

Reaction score
Darth_Anton said:
Sure the price increase is too much, but since I'm skipping the line, It's not going to have much impact on me. That said, I think the increase is going to translate into sluggish sales resulting in a price decrease.
The price increase won't affect me because I am not byuing this line as well. I don't know how popular this whole line is going to be. I think the weekly shows will help, but without collectors on board I don't think the line will be as successful as other SW lines.

Reaction score
Trooper31 said:
The price increase won't affect me because I am not byuing this line as well.
Um, yes it will... that $8 price tag will go for the Lecagy Collection as well. And when July 26 comes, you will see that the entire Star Wars line will have a higher retail price point. The Build-a-Droid, Vehicles, Galactic Heroes, Titaniums... they will ALL cost more too, you'll see.

I don't understand why people think that this price increase is exclusive to Clone Wars, because it's not!

Luckily for me, as time goes on I am getting less and less interested in the trials of finding and maintaining a near complete Hasbro collection. Too much BS. This Clone Wars series will be the last of Hasbro for me. When it's done (or even when the waves get to re-releases) I will finally wash my hands of it!

Reaction score
With me as well, there are fewer and fewer 'must have' figures comming out. A VERY few I want right away, the others can wait for sales, if ever.

My plan for the rest of this year is simple. Thanks to our good friends at Target, I have 5 pages of $5 off for $25 coupons. Starting in July, I will be buying EVERYTHING in $25 increments and using the coupon. I'll be saving about 20% each purchase. At least it's something. From the time the toys are released until October, when the coupon expires, I'm pretty much exclusively shopping at Target. After October, sometime before Christmas, I expect Shopko to run another 'Buy 1 Get 1' sale. While I expect thier normal price to be $8.99, that would still average out to $4.50 a figure.

I understand times are tough. I understand things cost more. I won't complain because Hasbro is raising prices on figures. I understand the problem. Hasbro needs to understand they are making toys, and until you can eat them or put them in your car to make it run, or use them to pay a mortgage, then they take a back seat to everything else.

Next will be the people comming here to say the increase is small and nothing will be affected and we shouldn't complain. I'm spending $130 a week for gas on just a normal car. PM me and I will let you know where to send the checks.

Reaction score
I am waiting to see what places like Newforce comcis and D&S toys are going to be charging for a case. Factoring in time and gas(espescially gas THESE days!!)the per figure cost was acceptable for the cases that I bought throughout the last year(I beleive that I bought 8 cases?)
My biggest cost is army building, gonna have to cut way back on that! I managed to control myself with the Vintage army builders priced at $10 or higher, only buying a few of each initially and then waiting for them to come out on a basic card or go on clearance;then I went nuts buying them

I am willing to pay the higher price for the vehicle line up that we are getting this year, what I have seen so far(AT-TE, Falcon, Homing Spider Droid etc.) these are well worth it!

Reaction score
You know I was chatting with another collector who says he is ticked off to no end that Hasbro's MSRP for the Legacy line and CW is higher than last year's TAC. Like many he is upset and is thinking of selling his SW collection because he likes the Batman toys better and because money is getting tighter and he's around $130 a chump at the pump per week. I then see him get into his H2 Hummer and rumble off to the Toys 'R Us across the street because his buddie told they just put out the TDK toys.

Yup Hasbro is the blame for that $130/week he is lighter in the wallet.

GNT

Reaction score
Maybe if you guys are paying $130 a week in petrol maybe cutting down on runs or just ordering online will save you money in the long term. Perhaps even get a 2nd job to pay for petrol or the toys if it does mean that much?

It's not going to get any cheaper, the prices of the toys will continue to rise over the next few years. Sad but true.

Reaction score
Theres less and less figures I want, the prices are going up, and the stores around here suck. I still haven't seen wave 8 or 2008 waves 1 or 2. I've lost all hope and given up on collecting.

Reaction score
RedHarlow said:
Theres less and less figures I want, the prices are going up, and the stores around here suck. I still haven't seen wave 8 or 2008 waves 1 or 2. I've lost all hope and given up on collecting.
I love this post! That sums up collecting for me too nowadays, but I'm ok with that.

John