Price Increase .... To expensive?

Reaction score
And you are absolutely correct in EVERY statement, yes that $100 that I spoke of has to come from somewhere - but let's face it unless each and every one of us here are militantly on budget, that amount of money can be squeezed out of all of the nickle and dime stuff that tends to account for all those "where does all the money go" statements.

Yes, paychecks are not going up at the same rate as the cost of living - it's a fairly grave concern right now, there's a reason the "R" word is being bantied about so often. But that's a discussion for forums other than here.

Yes, it's only a buck, yes that buck has to come from somewhere, but in the end, it's not as bad as some here are making it out to be - and often times we lose track of the bigger picture. As I stated above, if you want to do something about the root problem, well, I can't really go into that here, as politics are strictly forbidden...

Seriously man, I'm not out to get you!

'78

Reaction score
I hunt for my figures and am patient. When out of town for whatever reason, pay a visit to the local stores. The only store I go out of my way & have to plan to go to is TRU (NO TRU's in San Francisco,how retarded is that?)I've never really missed out on much, the ones I did miss out on saw them on pegs.

For the mom trying to fulfill her son's Boba Fett wishes. Will she be able to do what I do to get it for him?

I just saw my nephew's playing with my SW stuff & they asked to play with my G.I.Joes instead when one of'em saw the other posing Beach Head to super awesome kick a Cobra Trooper. It takes 20 Minutes to take apart/put back together Evolutions Anakin. It took me almost an hour to do the same to Snake Eyes. Shouldn't you do MORE work for me if I pay you more? My $93.00 Anakin's elbows [censored] me off. My $.032 G.I.Joe scrub can sign up for Yoga classes. WTF?

Alot of great points were stated about articulation. Hasbro gives us this Kashyyk Trooper that's a nickel bag or two short of being a full ounce. The product was cut once or twice rather than being pure grade A-1. Grab 15 of your clonetroopers, melt down the plastic and turn it into 18 clonetroopers. Now multiply that by a million. You'd think that ultra profit would be enough. What in the name of Enron are you trippin off with a $1.00 increase? I'm still gonna do what I do, but it's more fun with YOU GUYS (RebelScum) doing it too!

And for the love of God:

The fact that I saw Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow constantly flying off the shelves was great. Did you get that? THE FACT THAT FOR 3 MONTH's I PHYSICALY SAW SNAKE EYES & STORM SHADOW ON PEGS,SAW THE PEGS EMPTY,SAW THEM REFILLED!!!

Boba Fett is OUR SNAKE EYES! Please release cases of him .

F*ckin [censored]

Reaction score
Some good points made all around but I will still wait and see what the Retailers are actualy charging, but when its all said and done for me, buying a few less figures in the long run will more than make up the price difference. I guess you have to look at the big picture and not have tunnel vision with this whole thing.

Reaction score
pocoyo_joe said:
Space_Guard said:
pocoyo_joe said:
Space_Guard said:
Yer, it's kids like me and Commander_Gray who just want toys to occupy ourselves. I only get an allowance of £4 a week (the 'only' part is debatable) but that means I can only afford 1 star wars figure a week. I can't really army-build, buy an AT-TE, buy the whole line of figures so when the prices go up, it has a knock on effect. It means I can buy less figures which means that us kids miss out.
Still a figure a week is still quite good, but Hasbro still put out over 60 figures a year lately.

I couldn't troop build as a kid either, I was only allowed to buy a second Stormtrooper when the chest broke and the arm fell off my first one.

I'm curious where do kids like yourself see as the main point of your Star Wars collection? Do you collect ROTS onwards or do you try for all the prequels? I imagine the thought of going for a whole saga collection would be quite daunting
I go for troops and main characters. I only go for main characters if I feel that they are definative enough (like EVO vader, that'll be my definative vader). I bought both the Anakin and Sith EVO sets as I feel that the figures in those sets are definative enough (apart from ROTS Anakin). I have around £100 left from my birthday that has to last the whole year, £50 will go towards the SSC Sidious and Palps so that leaves me with £50+pocket money to buy things for the rest of the year. I did buy 3 Galactic Marines though, but that's because I knew that there were only 3/4 figures I wanted from waves 2-4. As I collect both Hasbro and Sideshow (only a few sideshow, out of the five I own I have only bought 1, and that was on sale for £25). With the new halo line coming out as well I can see that I might have to stick to one area this year, so my collection will mainly revolve around TFU this year. I will still pick up several CW figures and MAYBE a few Droid factory figures (if they are of key characters or troops).

So if your yearly budget for this hobby is around £/$1000, just think about the few kid collectors on this site who will not be able to buy everything each year.
As a kid I used to just buy my favourite characters, until one day in 1984 I looked at a cardback and discovered I was only a dozen or so figures short of the whole lot, then a suddenly wanted to get the missing few, dudes like R5-D4, Snaggletooth, Ugnaught et al.

Trust me in order to keep on top of my SW collecting needs I spend more than £1000 a year, but I'm lucky (some would argue sad) enough to be able to do that and not go hungry/homeless.

Still it a shame your generation doesn't have the playsets we had, plus most vehicles from our movies got made into toys, a lot of the prequel ships never got made.

I just hope you don't end up trying to do what I did when I got older and had money enough of my own, and start to fill the gaps in your youthful collection.

I feel for you kids today, I never really thought Kenner/Palitoy put out too much for us to get and I could afford to buy 90% of the figures that came out each year. Didn't get all the playsets and vehicles but got the most important ones (Falcon, X-wing, AT-AT etc).

However if you're on a budget it's hard to support 2 lines, which would have to go 12-inch or 3 and 3/4-inch?
Well since I was mentioned in the first post of this convosation I thought I would add my point of view.

The main reason I collect is because I love star wars. I don't know if many of you have noticed the Fan-Fiction 91st ARC Platoon I have developed but it is the heart and soul of my collecttion, mainly because I have put so much time into it. It is what kept me going during the periods where there are no figures that really intrest me. Each trooper in it has a name, a rank and a story. Each one is personalised.

But as people start to fall away from collecting I am starting to grow and expand. I am getting more and more characters and I am starting to widden my intrest in Star Wars collecting.

But I think the main reason whyI collect is because it is fun. I love seeing cool characters. I love seeing awesome, massive space ships. I love looking at an army of clones. It is fun.

I have been through more parts of collecting thanmost kids. I have been collecting since the early SAGA 1 line. I have been through times that it looked like was nearing the end of the road of collecting, but I am still here with a growing collection

I don't want to brag but I am very good at managing my money and how I buy stuff. I figure out what I could put on Christmas lists and what I will have to buy with pocket money, and what I will buy with Birthday money. I seem to be very good at it since I have yet to miss out on something

Lets just say I will follow Hasbro until the end.
I'll be there at the death of Star Wars figure collecting and i am sure I will be there at the end of Star Wars.

-Mr Gray

Reaction score
The question is this? At what pointwill figures be too costly to purchase? For those who think 1 dollar is not a lot of an increase think a minute of how much more we've paid per figure since the rerelease in 1995 and how much more product you could buy with all those extra dollars added up.I am incensed with how people say "oh a dollar, its no big deal."Hasbro has been steadily increasing prices yet for some reason the collecting community absorbs it.This is fine up to a certain cost.The question is when does it begin to be a big deal 9,10, 12,15 dollars per figure.? Where do you draw the line on cost?Let's be honest with ourselves for once.As collectors we know these are just toys, pieces of plastic that kids are supposed to play with, yet we collect. Now answer the question"What kid can afford to buy a figure/toy at 9 or 10 dollars per figure on a consistant basis?" The answer most likely none.The parents will therefore have to eat the costs of buying it if they do at all.But the fact is this

Parents wont buy tons and tons of figures if they are shelling out 10 bucks or more a pop for each.ITs just not economically feasible for them to do so no matter how much they love their kids.

Toys are supposed to be played with by children.We collecotrs ar ein a way "big kids" who just never grew up. But if toys are getting so expensive that even a child cannot purchase one a week based off an allowance ,then what does that say about these toys?I'd argue they arent toys anymore, they're collectibles.

With such a high prices for figures I'd argue the term toy cant be used with these "collectibles " anymore. Therefore, in me estimation hasbro cannot claim "oh woo is me we make these things for kids" when in fact they know who is buying the damn things to begin with(the collectors.)If Hasbro made these "toys" for kids then KIDS and KIDS 'parents could afford to buy poor timmy a figure once a week or so , not a termed "collectible" once a month.

Reaction score
Hasbro are full of it if they think that kids are their main customer for SW action figures.

I've been collecting each wave and repack since 1995 and have several thousand figures, carded, loose, doubles, multipacks etc and I know I'm not the only one.

It's us adult and young adult collectors who keep this thing going - not kids who's Mommy's & Daddy's bought them a Darth Vader and Yoda for Xmas.

A price increase was inevitable, but let's hope they don't get all stupid and decide to increase the price every year - otherwise Uncle George won't be cashing in a 200 Million Dollar cheque from Hasbro every year.

The smart thing to do, is to keep costs low, so people buy more.
If they were cheap (like they should be) I know I'd be buying several dozen every pay day - then we'd all have army's like Darth Soundwaves!

Reaction score
The problem is your argument isn't based on any economic reality - Figures might be too expensive if they reach $10 next year, but if it's four or five years down the road (which is more likely), then a $10 price point might not be so bad - it's hard to say what the rest of the economy and other prices will have done in that time frame.

And this whole thing of the prices going up $1 per year is completely false, the last price increase was early 2006 when we hit $6.99, prior to that I'm not sure when we moved from $4.99 to $5.99, but the LOWEST that figures have cost since the line began was $4.99 retail - and that was the VERY beginning in 1995 - they stayed relatively constant over the first few years, hitting the $5.99 price point around the time of Saga 1 - perhaps 2002 - ROTS figures were initially released at $5.99 - and then quickly went on sale for $4.99 - but that was based on the hype and success of the line - retailers were making up margin on volume, not straight unit profit. So in 2006 when we hit $6.99, it seemed like a big jump from $4.88, but it was really only from $5.99, so it was a $1.00 jump.

In that time frame, figures are getting more and more articulated, more and more detailed and yes costs are going up. So now we're making the leap to $7.99, which means $7.65 or so at WalMart, - unless there's a sale, which probably will be $6.88. So since 1995, the price will have risen from $4.99 to $7.99 a $3 price increase over 12 years.

Hopefully we'll hit a stable state here, and it'll stay there for a while - but it WILL go up, sure as I'm sitting here. Inflation is a PURE fact of life.

So, folks, the sky is not falling here, it stinks that the price is going up, I'm not a big fan, but to get ourselves wound up like this is just silly. Especially when most of the arguments have no basis in reality.

'78

Reaction score
VERY well put Since...(I think you might have found nomad's serious pants... he needs them back please)... I think everyone is just venting the frustration they have... which is very normal and human, I just hope everyone gets a raise this year...I think this thread(and all of the others) are going to have A LOT of praises... and pyrotechnics... over the next few days...

I hope you guys get enough sleep tonight...

Peace

Reaction score
Commander_Gray said:
Lets just say I will follow Hasbro until the end.
I'll be there at the death of Star Wars figure collecting and i am sure I will be there at the end of Star Wars.

-Mr Gray
I'll drink at that!! (Cherry Coke... mmm) Let's just hope this day never comes!

Reaction score
Figures actually jumped to $6.99 when EP1 hit retail. Near the end of that line when POTJ took over Hasbro told us they were going to drop prices $1 but that didn't really happen till the Saga line kicked in. They ran about $5.88 for the first year then dropped again into the $4.77 range (WM pricing for the most part).

OTC and Clone Wars figures ran the same price then we got a $1 jump with ROTS with some stores still selling under $5. Price jumped to $6.63 - $6.99 with the Saga '06 line and continues till now.

E...

Reaction score
Last year was the year I decided to stop buying these things on the pegs and have some patience. Our collections are worth a pittance of what we paid for them at the register. I laugh at the people who try to get even a third of the original cash value out of their collection when they put it up on ebay. I've already bought my complete set of TAC with the UGH's and the exclusives for half of what I would have paid at retail by buying them in lots. If you have the patience and are worried about the cost increase, it's a good way to go.

Now I know that if enough of us do this, the lot prices will go up and we won't be saving any money, but until that time comes, I have far more affordable lines I can collect while I wait for the secondary market price to go down on Star Wars figs.

Reaction score
mjolnir said:
Last year was the year I decided to stop buying these things on the pegs and have some patience. Our collections are worth a pittance of what we paid for them at the register. I laugh at the people who try to get even a third of the original cash value out of their collection when they put it up on ebay. I've already bought my complete set of TAC with the UGH's and the exclusives for half of what I would have paid at retail by buying them in lots. If you have the patience and are worried about the cost increase, it's a good way to go.

Now I know that if enough of us do this, the lot prices will go up and we won't be saving any money, but until that time comes, I have far more affordable lines I can collect while I wait for the secondary market price to go down on Star Wars figs.
You're absolutley right - it is a good plan.

Reaction score
I;ve had a thought. If your not interested in the CW3D line then there are only 30 figures to collect, this is half of last year so overall you will probably be spending less. The CW3D figures are directed at the kids and the Droid Factory ones may well be directed towards collectors (do any kids know about Yarna?) So instead of paying $480 for the figures you will eb spending $240 which is a significant increase and can go towards the battle packs (they're not going uyp in price are they?) or the AT-TE and Millenium falcon (You could buy both with the money your saving).

If your that worried about the price increase, just buy the figures you really want rathet than every figure

Reaction score
Sure the price increase is too much, but since I'm skipping the line, It's not going to have much impact on me. That said, I think the increase is going to translate into sluggish sales resulting in a price decrease.

Reaction score
bikerscout said:
w/tax in LA -that'd be about $8.65 a fig - ouch!!!!!!!!
Hey, it's like shopping in Times Square TRU. Welcome to New York, everyone!

Now get out of my way, and stop looking at all the tall buildings!

Reaction score
I will pay $8+ for the figures that are Evolutions or VOTC quality, but not for some of the other junk. Those G.I. JOE figs for $4.88 at my Wal-Mart are looking like a bargain now!

Reaction score
I've gotta be rather honest here. It makes me kind of angry that Hasbro pulled these figures reminiscent of the old animated CW series out of their rear and slapped an 8 dollar price tag on it. The upside to this cluster**** is that I now can save my cash, and spend it on endless numbers of Mon Cal warriors and Quarren men, Ak-rev, as well as the Jungle Rancor and the AT-TE... I hope that the 2008 rumor lists that were cobbled up last year come true. Because of course, I am being rather harsh at the moment. But this 8 dollar price tag will no longer matter if Hasbro manages to put out some realistic, high quality figures that are worthy successors to last year's figure collection. (Sweet memories!)

Reaction score
I only bought what I liked.The first wave of 08 I bought only 2 figures the Kashyyyk and the 2-1B.I missed out on the Commander Gree mainly because Walmart didn't have thme in their system.I only plan to get 3 from wave 2,The Jump Trooper,the EVO Trooper and the Shadow guard.

Reaction score
In N.Y. these figs will be $8.68 with tax, so it'll be $69.44 for a complete set. I will get 2 complete sets which will be $138.88!

That's a bit much so I will have to scale back elsewhere but it is going to be hard because I want a lot of other Star Wars stuff too. TLC w2, V-19 Torrent, Titaniums... the Build-a-droid and the new Order 66 look great, I dunno. I also collect the GG Maquettes and I KNOW there will be more announced at SDCC.

Somethings gonna give...

Reaction score
So it is just the Clone Wars line that will experience the price jump? If so, it would be a good thing the Legacy Cllection does not increase.

On another note at least it jumped only one dollar instead of two as it did between 2005 and 2006.

Reaction score
If its true an increase like that will mean around $9 to $10 or more here in Canada for figures. Toys R Us are already at $9.99.
....I would certainly be very selective on what I purchase and the figures better be allot better sculpted and detailed....I'm having a hard time affording these figures...how can kids buy these up?

Reaction score
They can't!

My kids can't, already! (And they get $8/week allowances.) All 4 of my kids stopped buying Star Wars last year with their own money... the only figures they got were ones I bought them. They just cost too much for most kids. And kids would rather buy a video game or download mpgs or buy snacks with their money... to spend it all on 1 item is just stupid in their opinion.

Reaction score
palps45895 said:
They can't!

My kids can't, already! (And they get $8/week allowances.) All 4 of my kids stopped buying Star Wars last year with their own money... the only figures they got were ones I bought them. They just cost too much for most kids. And kids would rather buy a video game or download mpgs or buy snacks with their money... to spend it all on 1 item is just stupid in their opinion.

No, that's not true!! We'd rather spend it on crappy animated figures with Mattel The Batman styled accessories!

Reaction score
Star Wars is not the only focus of my collecting interests. Considering that I'm very used to spending 20 to 30 dollars on an imported Japanese figure, I really can't complain about buying a well articulated Star Wars figure for under 10 bucks.

The price of everything goes up. Figure out if it's worth it for you to keep collecting, but accept that it's a fact. It was going to happen sooner than later anyway...

CSD

Reaction score
Im sure it depends on retailers wal-mart sells for 6$ and toys r us for 7$, so im sure 8$ is how much they can sell them up to not the price.

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
I, quite frankly am completely unconcerned about the price increase. It's another buck, if I buy 100 figures next year, it'll be $100 in increased cost. That's pretty easy to absorb over the coming year - let's see - $8.33 a month - don't go to Starbucks a couple of times, pack leftovers for lunch, there are a ZILLION ways to absorb that small of an expense.

We get outraged that costs go up, but this is LIFE people, the dollar is down, oil (raw materials and transport) is up, toys have been on the decline for years - it happens. Once again, let's do the reminder math - figures cost $1.97 to $2.29 in 1978 - that translates to $6.67 - $7.75 in 2007 dollars.

I couldn't find a calculator to do 2008 (probably not enough data yet) - but we're still in the same range as where we were 30 years ago. Also remember that $7.99 retail will probably be more like $7.63 or similar at WalMart - so let's avoid comparing $6.63 to $7.99 as you're NOT comparing apples to oranges here.

There are so many bigger fish to fry than the price of our TOYS going up $1.00 - if you want to get indignant about costs, have a look at the latest federal budget (for those of you in the US), and ask yourself where all that money goes - and that's not a political point, that's just basic civics. Ask your local c-store manager how much the taxes were on that gas that you just purchased - you'll be surprised to find out that it wasn't just sales tax there!

Let's bring ourselves back from the edge here and stop and take a saner look at the realities here. If you love Star Wars and you've enjoyed collecting Star Wars for years, then you'll find a way to absorb the cost, and move on. It doesn't mean that it's not a bummer that they'll cost a little more, but it certainly doesn't seem to merit all the grandstanding and quiteritis that seems to be rampant right now. How about we give the products a chance, maybe there will be a little more to them (how do action features come separate from the figures? Hmmmmmm....) If you're getting roughly 1/5 of a figure as a pack-in in the DF line, shouldn't that line cost 1/5 MORE than a current figure? Seems like Hasbro isn't charging enough there as at the current price of $6.99 - including a BAF addition should cost $8.15 or so.... Hey wait, that's MORE than $7.99?!!!?

There's so much left to learn about what's to come, folks saying that they're quitting based on the limited information at hand just strikes me as a little premature.

Of course that's me...

'78
I agree that we would all be much better off (no matter where we live) if we would be as outraged at how government (and not just the federal level) steals from us and pretends to be interested in solving all of life's problems (while only making things worse) as we are about the cost of toys.

I disagree with you (from another post) in regards to the history of Star Wars toy pricing. Basic figures were $4.74 at Wal-Mart in 2004. $7.99 is a 69% increase in 4 years. The rising cost of oil is not the only factor involved. Basic economics does not change. It is all about supply and demand. Toys are only worth what people are willing to pay. This board is the perfect place to stage a boycott. I will not pay $8 for figures, unless they are specifically on a Christmas or birthday wish list, which my boys are limited to how large those lists are. Besides...they have enough toys which never get touched. And, I could use the break.

Reaction score
mtaineer said:
I disagree with you (from another post) in regards to the history of Star Wars toy pricing. Basic figures were $4.74 at Wal-Mart in 2004.
And they were also $6.99 when the Phantom Menace line premiered back in 1999. The price fluctuates.

Reaction score
Yes, but everyone knows that was because of the Kosovo War in 1999. Kosovo was the world's biggest manufacturer and exporter of small talking chips for action figures. NATO helped avert a worldwide crisis.

Reaction score
Yeah in my opinion the price increase does not justify the cost for a little toy. What do we do with these things? Play with them a couple hours each day? Nope! Certainly not me. This is certainly the end of collecting for me and I'm certain for a lot of other people too. Can I afford it? Sure but I choose not to pay that type of money for a little toy, I'm in my early 30's, have my own home, and a 4 year old daughter that i can devote that kind of money to and get a lot more enjoyment out of it without feeling any kind of guilt. Besides the older I get the more I realize I'd rather spend my hard-earned cash on the big boys' toys.
Ah well, it was somewhat enjoyable while it lasted. At least up until the last couple years dealing with all the insolent dogs and trolls who raid Walmart during stocking hours and line up at Target and TRU at 10 mintues to open to rush in and nab everything. Don't think you'll see people acting like that at Home Depot, Best Buy (unless it has something to do with a Wii), or the car dealerships. lol

Reaction score
I have seen nothing at Toy Fair to justify a $1 increase, bottom line. Sculpts still have iffy likeness on such figures as Sandstorm Luke and the such.

If these are $7.99 at Target and $7.54 at Walmart, I will pass on all clone wars, all EU, and some of the OT (specially deleted scenes Han, Luke, Chewie)

Reaction score
Produce something I want and I will pay a higher price to get it.

From what was shown at Toy Fair, Hasbro WILL be getting about $200 from me this year, half of that is on the ATTE. That's the lowest I have every spent.

So, if I may change my tune just a pitch, Hasbro can charge $10 a figure if it wants. There's no one reaching into my pocket to take out money except me, and I'm long past buying everything.

Reaction score
I was excited about the Animated line and planning on getting a few of those phase 1 clone troopers. But at $8 a pop for them I think I'll just round up some movie style phase 1s at $6 and change instead. I've never been a completist but now I'll probably have to be even more selective on the figures I get.

Reaction score
I got back into Sw collecting with the TAC line. I have been debating for a while now if I was going to keep collecting after it ended. Seeing the style of the Clone Wars stuff and the hearing about the $1 increase have helped me make my decision. I would rather spend another one or two dollars and get a transformers then spend $8 for a single SW figure.

Reaction score
Grym_Rohn said:
I was excited about the Animated line and planning on getting a few of those phase 1 clone troopers. But at $8 a pop for them I think I'll just round up some movie style phase 1s at $6 and change instead.
Well, I was thinking about doing the same thing, but when I got a SL Phase 1 clone yesterday at Target, it put me back $8.17! I don't know if this is regional since I'm in New Jersey right now and haven't been to the Target close to me in a while, but it's a new price to me. I think I'll wind up doing the oppisite of you since for only a little more than what I paid yesterday, I get the rifle, missle launcher, and a droid part instead of coin.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the fig style. I am not a fan of paying more for something I am not a fan of. There for I will not purchase these. Based on what a lot of people are saying, these should be easy to find when they come out since very few people are saying they will be buying them.

Reaction score
Neal said:
mtaineer said:
I disagree with you (from another post) in regards to the history of Star Wars toy pricing. Basic figures were $4.74 at Wal-Mart in 2004.
And they were also $6.99 when the Phantom Menace line premiered back in 1999. The price fluctuates.
I understand, and that is an example of how demand influences pricing more than production costs. My point was that comparing prices from 1978 to today (with inflation) is meaningless when they enact a 69% price increase in 4 years.

Reaction score
The only thing I really intend to buy are things with the TFU logo on this year, that may ahcnage as the year progresses but I am more hyped up about the video game than the animation. Everything from the TFU seems o be being released under the £5.99 price tag as well so that'll lessen the blow.