Price Hike!

GNT

Reaction score
Since a few people seem to be commenting on it here's a thread to discuss the Vintage figures new price hike of $9.99 per figure.

So how will this price change effect you? Will you be more selective or does it mean nothing to you?

Share your thoughts about it all here.

Reaction score
I will be more selective, but not necessarily because of the increase...though it's a small factor. I'm more against the problems they are making (not fixing Qui-Gon's saber, updating a new battle droid but not really adding much to the sculpt in terms of articulation.) I now will only buy definitive figures. I am passing on Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Darth Sidious, and the Battle Droid from TPM wave for this reason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought the prices were already $9.99 per figure?

It won't affect the figures that I already planned to buy for 2012 (from what's been confirmed). My general rule is that if price is a deterrent, then I never really wanted the figure to begin with.

Reaction score
In Canada, we already pay $9.99 per figure when it's regular-price. But sales happen frequently so I always go back to the store for a price-adjustment if I happened to pay full price.

Reaction score
It's been 9.99$ in Canada since TAC if I remember right, so I'm not worried about that price increase. Besides there is almost always monthly sales to help bring the price down.

Reaction score
I thought the prices were already $9.99 per figure?

It won't affect the figures that I already planned to buy for 2012 (from what's been confirmed). My general rule is that if price is a deterrent, then I never really wanted the figure to begin with.

Agreed. (I also thought that Vintage was already 9.99/figure.)

Reaction score
I've always been selective about what I buy. The Walmarts and Targets in my area have TVC priced around $8.99 & K-Mart and TRU are $9.99. I've already met my quotas for my army builder figures, so anything new for me to buy now would have to be a vast improvement upon a previously made OT figure, or a never before made figure.

Reaction score
That's what? A one dollar price hike. It won't affect me. I only buy the figures I really want anyway (although I'll probably be buying the entire TPM wave).

Reaction score
I doubt I'll be any more selective over a possible price hike. I'm not sure I could actually be any more discerning than I already am. 9 bucks, 10 bucks, 12 at some brick and mortar, online scalper prices. We already pay too much for these things, especially considering Hasbro is rehashing figures from 5 years ago and issuing them at the current prices. But, I'm a focused collector with a few standards that keep me from cracking my wallet over any and every little bit of junk with a SW label slapped on it. (yes, I'm talking about the clone wars and the prequels.) I'm in this to get what I want, and as long as others are willing to buy into anything presented as SW, I will continue to have the opportunity to pick and choose what I want. I look forward to months without anything but Phantom Menace on the shelves. That fact will make it that much easier to afford what I want when it finally finds it's way to the shelves.

The down side is that the pegs will be clogged with so much over-hyped 3D prequel crap, that I'm going to have to turn to online scalpers, anyway. So, no matter what I'll end up paying more for what I want.

Reaction score
that's a bit much-but I have paid that much at say, k-mart or a local comic book store if it's a figure that's not shown up anywhere else and is going for a little too much on ebay (think wedge, arc trooper, logray).

won't affect me all that greatly since I pick and choose (i only really buy jabba's palace, cantina and endor battle characters with a few exceptions here and there).

Reaction score
Won't affect me at all. I order by the case so i break even with free shipping and any duplicate figures i can return to brick and mortar stores.

Reaction score
that price wont effect me to much. Ill just be very selective on what I buy.

Reaction score
I hope/wish this price hike will effect somebody?!?! Maybe there will be some figures I want left on the pegs!

Reaction score
A dollar more,hmmm... not seen at my freddies yet...
Hopefully I WONT see it though, 9.99 a figure. Gosh they doubled in price since 5 years ago...

Reaction score
First I've heard about this. It won't affect how many characters I buy, but the army building will probably take a hit.

Will movie heroes and clone wars jump as well?

Reaction score
I'm used to paying 9.99 anyway.

As I said over in the other thread my concerns lie with the retailers. Most retailers marked them at 9.99 with Hasbro's MSRP at 8.99, but now since the MSRP is 9.99 will retailers mark it up to 10.99 or higher?

Honestly, that is where it can present a problem with myself, along with the rest of the fan base.

Reaction score
I'm used to paying 9.99 anyway.

As I said over in the other thread my concerns lie with the retailers. Most retailers marked them at 9.99 with Hasbro's MSRP at 8.99, but now since the MSRP is 9.99 will retailers mark it up to 10.99 or higher?

Honestly, that is where it can present a problem with myself, along with the rest of the fan base.

Very very true. And the cw and legends/movie heroes will only become more attractive when tvc climbs to ten or above.

Reaction score
Very very true. And the cw and legends/movie heroes will only become more attractive when tvc climbs to ten or above.
And that is going to leave us OT collectors in a very tough spot as CW and SL/MH have very little to offer us. Maybe we'll see some worthwhile OT army builders again.

Personally I fell 9.99 MSRP is as high as it should go. Otherwise Hasbro needs to change their methods to keep it at a reasonable about. These things are 4 inches tall, they aren't the larger figures where over 9.99 is conceivable. 9.99 is as far as I feel they would push it but they may try it out in 2013.

Honestly if they are going to raise the price each year or so I'm going to have an issue. I'm not going to give up collecting either but if prices get that high I will only be getting one, perhaps two of a figure. And my interests would be only OT, and only new figures/characters.

Reaction score
omg, 10.99 for a 3.75 inch action figure? What the hell.

Even for an exclusive that's too much for lord sakes!

I'd probably STRICTLY buy the ones I want, and thats it.

Reaction score
Oh well, I'm obsessed. I'll pay it.

Which is even worse considering I made very close to minimum wage... 1 TVC figure will equal 1+ hours of toil...

Reaction score
I don't like the figures going higher myself. They are already too high. It won't affect me all that much since I rarely find what I want anyway.

Reaction score
You guys call $10 a figure a price hike? We're lucky these toys cost that much considering how much prices are rising for everything else. BTW, Vintage figures are $10.89 here so $10.00 is actually a discount for us over here.

Reaction score
You guys call $10 a figure a price hike? We're lucky these toys cost that much considering how much prices are rising for everything else. BTW, Vintage figures are $10.89 here so $10.00 is actually a discount for us over here.

I'm pretty sure I just paid $8.99 for the new TPM figures a week or so ago and we're in the same area.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I'm done now. These figures are NOT worth $10 no matter what they come with. Especially when Hasbro always makes near definitive figures of core characters so that we can buy the next incarnation of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Won't affect me at all. I order by the case so i break even with free shipping and any duplicate figures i can return to brick and mortar stores.

So you're going to engage in retail fraud? Awesome.

This "price hike" is non-news, IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unless Hasbro 'wows' me at Toy Fair, I'm done after Aayla anyway. They'll milk me for a few more marvel characters, but that'll be it. Already satisfied enough to drop Clone Wars completely.

Reaction score
So maybe I missed something, but where did this "price hike" come into play? I haven't seen it anywhere around me, and I don't see any sort of official announcement from Hasbro. The only stores around here that have the Vintage figures for $9.99 are Toys R Us, and they've had them at that price since day one.

Reaction score
Reaction score
So you're going to engage in retail fraud? Awesome.

If he opens them up and swaps them out you may have some mild/lame fraud, but someone returning something to a store in brand new condition is not fraud, it's returning something to a store.

Reaction score
If he opens them up and swaps them out you may have some mild/lame fraud, but someone returning something to a store in brand new condition is not fraud, it's returning something to a store.

Incorrect. If you don't buy them from that company and are attempting to "return" them as if you had, it is fraud. It screws up the system and defrauds the store of profit.

Why does this have to be explained?

Reaction score
I'm really picky and don't buy a whole lot of Star Wars figures anyway, so a slight price hike isn't going to put me off of the few figures I do decide are excellent enough to spring for. I do see that it sucks somewhat for collectors who buy a lot, though, and parents, who - in my area, at least - already aren't exactly falling over one another trying to rip these figures from the pegs at their current slightly-lower prices. :/

Reaction score
If he plans on returning his duplicates, he can just return the ones that he bought at the store already with his receipt = no fraud.

Reaction score
I just might not be the most ethical thing in the world. But in this economy I don't blame him.

Reaction score
If you actually read your wikipedia article, you'll find that it doesn't describe what he's talking about. What struck me as odd though is I'm not sure how he's planning to return the figures he buys online to brick and mortar stores without a receipt.

How he'll do it is he'll abuse the Target loophole: evey year, with your driver's license, they allow a certain amount of non-receipt returns so long as the item is in their computer.

The precise method for this return scam is not spelled out in the article, but it's still return fraud. I was simply using the article as a general reference point.

A guy on another forum explained it in terms a kid could understand:

"you buy a figure from Target, you give them your $7 and they give you a toy and keep your $7.

if you decide to return that toy, you give them back the toy and they return your $7.

do you see how both parties are back even from where they started prior to the original transaction?

now lets say you buy a figure from some other party that you don't want, and then return it to Target. Target gains a figure and loses $7, but that wasn't their intent when they accepted the return. their intent was just for you to both be back even, not for them to be down $7 but gain an extra toy.

you misrepresented the toy you were returning, and that dishonesty is called fraud. just because their system allows you to do so doesn't change the fact that you did it."

Now Target might sell that figure, and they might not (Dengars, "Arctic" Destros, etc.) But either way, it is fraudulent.

Quote source: http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j...sion/182615-poc-collection-2.html#post3157422

Last edited:
Reaction score
If he plans on returning his duplicates, he can just return the ones that he bought at the store already with his receipt = no fraud.

Absolutely. That's a legit one-to-one exchange. But I don't think that is what he's saying.

Last edited: