POTJ not much love?

Reaction score
Hello fellow collectors,

I've been selling off my old collection to help pay for my new collection. I was looking at all my sold items when I realized that I have barely sold any of my POTJ line, but I've sold a ton of my POTF2 line?!

I thought that the POTJ was one of the best so I can't figure out why they aren't selling. So I figured I could do to things with this post.

A) Get your opinion as to why this is
B) See if you guys have any figures you're missing that I can help you with

Just take look at my sold and you'll see what I'm talking about...also check out what's still for sale.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB19&Number=4378886&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Reaction score
Dang, I wish I caught this earlier. I need a ton of those Hallmark ornaments! If any sales on those don't go through, drop me a PM and I might be interested.

I'm not sure why the POTJ figures are lingering. Some of them, however, are marked at $7.00-$12.00 which might be a bit high for these. To me, these seem like fair enough prices, but most collectors can afford to be patient and pick them up much cheaper when people are clearing out their collections.

You're absolutely right, the POTJ line is where Hasbro really upped a notch in terms of figure quality. It may be that because of this, most collectors already have the figures in their collections.

At any rate, much luck to you on your sales!

-Bobby

Reaction score
Your points make sense. I was wondering why the He-manish POTF2 line was selling more then the POTJ line.

PM sent RE ornaments.

Sharp said:
Dang, I wish I caught this earlier. I need a ton of those Hallmark ornaments! If any sales on those don't go through, drop me a PM and I might be interested.

I'm not sure why the POTJ figures are lingering. Some of them, however, are marked at $7.00-$12.00 which might be a bit high for these. To me, these seem like fair enough prices, but most collectors can afford to be patient and pick them up much cheaper when people are clearing out their collections.

You're absolutely right, the POTJ line is where Hasbro really upped a notch in terms of figure quality. It may be that because of this, most collectors already have the figures in their collections.

At any rate, much luck to you on your sales!

-Bobby

Reaction score
I have bought several POTJ figures on ebay over the last few years because I wasnt collecting at that point and missed out on quite a few nice figures. I never paid over $5 for any of them, and that was carded, loose was less, so I think you might be pricing yours too high, I think a more reasonable price would be in the $4-$6 range

I would be interested it a lot of those Halmark ornaments as well if I wasnt flat broke right now, you have some really good ones there!

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. I do have to say that I've sold a ton of stuff over the last 10yrs. I always price my items the same way. About 90% like my prices and the other 10% doesn't. You can please all the people all of the time as they say.

Feel free to PM if you're ever interested in any of the remaining ornaments.

Thanks again for comments.

Spookymufu said:
I have bought several POTJ figures on ebay over the last few years because I wasnt collecting at that point and missed out on quite a few nice figures. I never paid over $5 for any of them, and that was carded, loose was less, so I think you might be pricing yours too high, I think a more reasonable price would be in the $4-$6 range

I would be interested it a lot of those Halmark ornaments as well if I wasnt flat broke right now, you have some really good ones there!

Reaction score
My guess is that most POTJ figures have been updated.

Reaction score
I remember obtaining a couple when they first came out. I was working at an FAO Schwarz at the time, and recall stashing away and buying a Porkins figure.

Recently I bough the Amidala figure with the red dress and little lights around the hem used at a convention. I had never seen her in stores, but the figure was pretty well done, even the painted facial features.

Reaction score
BoboFatt said:
FDOIRex said:
My guess is that most POTJ figures have been updated.
That makes sense except it doesn't explain why I've sold so many more POTF2 figures.
Because POTF2 has it's own 'style'. It's the over-buff POTF2 style. It also has the history of being the first modern line, and there is a lot of nostalgia around it. POTJ, however, is just under-articulated modern figures.

Reaction score
I like the POTJ line - though it's probably the most underrated SW line these days, it's also the first line to combine the PT (only EP1 at that time) and the OT. IMHO it gave us some the best all-around SW figures, which include: the superb Tessek (Squid-head), Ellors Madak (one of my all-time favorite cantina aliens), Porkins, the first Cloud City/Bespin guard, the only Schmi (sp?!) in the line, a very nice Snaggletooth figure (thought this was technically from the Holiday special, it was based on the OOT Vintage figure, which was a nice homage), and an amazing Amanaman (Deluxe figure).

The line is all-but ignored these days probably because it came out after EP1 - after the huge deluge of TPM figures that we got in '99 and the first part of 2000, I believe these POTJ were under-produced as a result. I remember having a hard time finding many of these POTJ figures back in the day, and having to buy several of them from the SW Fan Club and/or at comic stores as a result.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I liked the POTJ line. There were some great figures in there, and those Force Files were pretty cool. Squid Head, Bo Shek, Teebo, Chess-Playing Chewie, Ellors, FX-7, K-3PO, the Amidalas, and Zutton are some of my favorites.

As for why it appears there's a lack of interest, I agree that some figures have been updated in more defintive versions, and also that a lot of new SW collectors jumped on board right around Ep.1 and picked these guys up when they first hit retail.

Also, it seems like there's been a slowly growing nostalgic interest in the POTF2 stuff. While they were great when they first appeared, they were eventually shunned like a mutated, ravenous, formerly conjoined twin that's been locked up in the attic once POTJ, Saga, OTC, etc. came along. Everything becomes cool again, it seems.

Reaction score
Loved the POTJ line. It's still my favorite line produced. The packaging was neat and the line featured some extremely well made improvements to figures (Boss Nass), great updates to Vintage line characters POTF2 left out (Tessek, Scout Trooper), and gave us some really, really nice sculpts (FX-7). Plus, the line had some really nice unexpected figures (Jek Porkins, Bacta Tank Luke, BoShek, etc.) and feature mixed/non-themed waves! It was a great time to collect Star Wars.

Too bad Hasbro took a step back with the action-features laden AOTC/SAGA line.

Lately, I've been parting ways with nearly everything from POTF2 - ROTS. Of all the figures leaving my attic, I kinda miss the POTJ figures the most.

And yes, I have seen some POTF2 figures moving lately, but the ones that have been moving are the less buff-looking figures that Hasbro hasn't re-visited since (8-D8, Ree Yees, Sebastian Shaw Anakin, Lak Sivrak, etc.), or Boba Fett and Darth Vader. I haven't witnessed too much of a demand for the primary characters or troop builders.

Reaction score
Lets see, POTJ gave me:
Security Battle Droid*
K-3PO (first release ever)
R4-M9*
FX-7 (first time released in modern line)
R2-Q5*
Darth Vader Dagobah Version*
Ellorrs Madak*
Mon Calamari Officer*
Jek Porkins*
Imperial Officer

*Denotes a figure that hasn't been re-released since the POTJ incarnation (to my knowledge)

So, POTJ gave me quite a bit of cool stuff that I never saw again. I'm sure I'm missing some, but these were the ones that sucks out in my head at the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still think many of these figures still hold up really. Specifically FX-7, Dagobah Darth Vader (one of the best releases Hasbro has done in my opinion), Porkins, R2-Q5, R4-M9, The Gungan Warrior, Boss Nass, and the various Cantina patrons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a very fond spot in my heart for POTJ. I think some of the figures still hold up very well and I liked the packaging that was used!

Reaction score
POTJ is my favorite line ever. It was a nice blend of obscure and familiar and I've almost acquired every figure from it. I think I need 5 more from the regular line and a few vehicles.

Reaction score
POTJ is definitely the most underrated SW figure line since the modern figures began in 1995. I could care less about the packaging since I'm, overall, an opener. And, I also feel collectors should discount the packaging & focus on the product being offered instead. There were some real gems in this line & the packaging is/was irrelevant.

Some of my favorite POTJ figures:

-Amanaman - superb, and an improvement over the 1985 original - and I really liked the original!

-Tessek (AKA, Squid Head) - wow, amazing detail here. Though I really liked the "soft goods" aspect of the 1983 original Vintage figure, this version's sculpt is incredible. Stellar figure.

-FX-7 - superb figure with amazing detail. IIRC, this is the only time this droid has been made in the 3.75" modern line.

Also, note that the POTJ line was the first time we got the great Tie B. in 3.75" form, and we also got a fantastic new Tie Interceptor - which looked far superior to the 1980's Vintage version.

JVM

Reaction score
POTJ is definitely the most underrated SW figure line since the modern figures began in 1995. I could care less about the packaging since I'm, overall, an opener. And, I also feel collectors should discount the packaging & focus on the product being offered instead. There were some real gems in this line & the packaging is/was irrelevant.

Some of my favorite POTJ figures:

-Amanaman - superb, and an improvement over the 1985 original - and I really liked the original!

-Tessek (AKA, Squid Head) - wow, amazing detail here. Though I really liked the "soft goods" aspect of the 1983 original Vintage figure, this version's sculpt is incredible. Stellar figure.

-FX-7 - superb figure with amazing detail. IIRC, this is the only time this droid has been made in the 3.75" modern line.

Also, note that the POTJ line was the first time we got the great Tie B. in 3.75" form, and we also got a fantastic new Tie Interceptor - which looked far superior to the 1980's Vintage version.
I think the secret to POTJ's success was often the figures, such as you mentioned based on, minor/background elements - there were some neat cantina aliens, too, for example, and a lot of them still hold up fairly well next to more advanced figures in a way their POTF brethren rarely do. Tessek, Anaman and FX-7 don't look dated at all. The few exceptions to this - such as Eeth Koth - seem to be figures made in the mold towards the SAGA's line championing of statuesque action poses. I do think one understated weakness is that none of the figures based on main characters in this line found very enduring popularity, creating less of a sense of 'advancement' of the greater line, the way a lot of the post-movie lines managed.

I think ultimately the problem is that since this line lacks any unified theming (identical packaging, a relatively unpopular pack-in* and no singular media focus) most collectors will often think of the individual figures as triumphs without actually connecting them to the line in which they were released. I think many see it simply as a generic banner under which certain figures happened to be released. I think you're very correct in the line being underrated, just to clarify, I'm just speculating aloud as to why.

* I actually really enjoy the force files personally!

Reaction score
POTJ is the line that pulled me into collecting, so it will always hold a place in my heart - the character diversity was stellar, what many lines should hope to attain. I continue to own most of these, and have no desire to replace them.

Reaction score
I loved the Power of the Jedi line. We got tons of new never before figures, updates to some of the previous figures and it was an all around fun line to collect, I even liked the Force Files cards that were packed in with the figures and the card art was a nice bridge of old Power of the Force and Episode I.

yes there were some sleepers and missteps in the line (the bucky beaver Luke X-Wing comes to mind along with pee stains Bespin Escape Leia) but all in all the aliens were amazing additions to the line as were the deluxe sets like Darth Maul, Luke with Bacta Tank, Princess Leia with Barge Canon, Amanaman. We got 2 of the best sculpted Queen Amidala figures to ever come out of Hasbro, the all new and much improved Scout Trooper, the EU inspired Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan, Concept Art Maul, the 1st ever much needed Porkins, the all new Han Solo Bespin and the awesome at the time Dagobah Spirit Vader and of course the highlight was the 300th Fett.

Awesome vehicles filled out the line with the amazing TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor and B-Wing Starfighters and let's not forget the very cool Carbon Freezing Playset with freeze your own SW Figure feature.

I think the problem with POTJ as is with POTF2 and EP1 is by today's standards the toys are considered inferior to the current super articulation of the Vintage Collection figures.

Reaction score
If we're judging based on articulation alone, every line before ROTS would likely be considered inferior. I judge simply on sculpt & likeness, because 5 POA is perfectly fine with me, I actually think many TVC figures have too much articulation, and it ruins the aesthetic of the figure in some cases. I really think around 97 there was a evolution of sculpting, so the later POTF2 figures, into TPM, and throughout POTJ really had some beautiful sculpts that were showcased amongst some of the more simple releases of the day.

Reaction score
I judge simply on sculpt & likeness, because 5 POA is perfectly fine with me, I actually think many TVC figures have too much articulation, and it ruins the aesthetic of the figure in some cases. I really think around 97 there was a evolution of sculpting, so the later POTF2 figures, into TPM, and throughout POTJ really had some beautiful sculpts that were showcased amongst some of the more simple releases of the day.
Well put, well said. Too much articulation can & has ruined figures. Going along with this, a lot of articulation can result in a shoddily made figure that falls apart with - or without - being handled. Conversely, the 5 POA sculpts were, overall, much more durable. Also, in many cases I prefer the aesthetic of 5 POA because multiple joints, etc. aren't visible.

Reaction score
I quite like pee stains Bespin Escape Leia, I don't consider that one a dud at all - I only wish we also had one with the ability to have a neutral pose.

Overall I have always loved POTJ and still favour many figures from this line even when updates have been made since. It was a great collection of characters and the sculpts were generally excellent - I'm not necessarily counting facial likenesses though because frankly at this scale I think it's extremely rare for there to be much of a resemblance on anyone. I'm mainly concerned with natural body proportions and outfits done well and this line excelled at these things IMO.

We got lots of background aliens and droids, some good army builders for the time, awesome deluxe figures and good vehicle releases as others have said. I still use the POTJ Death Star Escape Han Solo. Meanwhile the 25th anniversary 2 packs still make great displays with Chewie being my favourite from those sets. And 300th figure Boba Fett is my favourite rendition of him to this day. It may have been an era of fixed poses but at least they were mostly pretty good ones.

Reaction score
I quite like pee stains Bespin Escape Leia, I don't consider that one a dud at all - I only wish we also had one with the ability to have a neutral pose.

Overall I have always loved POTJ and still favour many figures from this line even when updates have been made since. It was a great collection of characters and the sculpts were generally excellent - I'm not necessarily counting facial likenesses though because frankly at this scale I think it's extremely rare for there to be much of a resemblance on anyone. I'm mainly concerned with natural body proportions and outfits done well and this line excelled at these things IMO.

We got lots of background aliens and droids, some good army builders for the time, awesome deluxe figures and good vehicle releases as others have said. I still use the POTJ Death Star Escape Han Solo. Meanwhile the 25th anniversary 2 packs still make great displays with Chewie being my favourite from those sets. And 300th figure Boba Fett is my favourite rendition of him to this day. It may have been an era of fixed poses but at least they were mostly pretty good ones.
Princess Leia is perhaps my favorite character from the Star Wars Saga and the Bespin / Hoth outfits are my favorites from the trilogy. With that being said... I did love seeing that Hasbro was finally giving us a Bespin Escape Princess Leia and was beyond excited for the figure and remember that excitement upon finally finding her at a KB Toys up in Boston MA at the Lechmere Mall (while in college). I just wish the dirt/pee stains was not as prominent on the figure as they are. I agree with the lack of articulation as this Leia could really only be posed in either a sorta of running position or shooting position (I have since tried kitbashing a super articulated Bespin Escape Leia using the Vintage Bespin Leia head and Hoth Leia body minus the vest).

the 2 packs were a nice addition to the line. I too love the Chewie/Han 2 pack as well as the Vader/Kenobi pack. The Luke and Leia one was kinda a dud in my opinion.

Reaction score
I remember how much I loved that line. I even bought them all, and (something I never do) OPENED them all. They looked great. To me what made POTJ work was they finally did scale right. Leia was tiny and small. So was Amidala's decoy. Chewie was tall and huge. Porkins was short and husky. I believe it was the first time they actually got that right. The aliens were all awesome, it's to this day IMO the best 3 3/4" Boba Fett and Slave Leia. The articulation was incredible. I also think this was the first time we got Prequel figure expanded universe figures, which were great! Also, the mixture of OT and PT was just right.

I agree with most above, this was one of the best lines Hasbro ever produced.

*Also, the vehicles were incredible. TIE Interceptor, Battle Damaged Snowspeeder. Plus they ALL came with figures!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Princess Leia is perhaps my favorite character from the Star Wars Saga and the Bespin / Hoth outfits are my favorites from the trilogy. With that being said... I did love seeing that Hasbro was finally giving us a Bespin Escape Princess Leia and was beyond excited for the figure and remember that excitement upon finally finding her at a KB Toys up in Boston MA at the Lechmere Mall (while in college). I just wish the dirt/pee stains was not as prominent on the figure as they are. I agree with the lack of articulation as this Leia could really only be posed in either a sorta of running position or shooting position (I have since tried kitbashing a super articulated Bespin Escape Leia using the Vintage Bespin Leia head and Hoth Leia body minus the vest).

the 2 packs were a nice addition to the line. I too love the Chewie/Han 2 pack as well as the Vader/Kenobi pack. The Luke and Leia one was kinda a dud in my opinion.
I think the headsculpt on that Leia from the chasm swing 2pack is the best she's ever gotten in the scale but otherwise I agree it's the weakest of those sets overall - probably because the figures can't be displayed independently of eachother at all unlike the other ones.

I remember how much I loved that line. I even bought them all, and (something I never do) OPENED them all. They looked great. To me what made POTJ work was they finally did scale right. Leia was tiny and small. So was Amidala's decoy. Chewie was tall and huge. Porkins was short and husky.
Oh yeah, I think you're right. Another plus for POTJ

Reaction score
That's a good point, the POTJ line really established a re-scaling of characters to make them accurate next to each other, while previous lines like POTF2 had Leia clocking in at nearly the same height all the other figures!