POTF2 worth keeping?

Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
3,762
Reaction score
0
Location
Boston, MA
i like the TAC collection as well, but some of these figures are what we grew up on depending how old you are. i am 22 now and i still have my DS2 luke and my normal han.

btw. hasbro should realize that the potf2 original han solo is the best han sculpt to date.
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
I hate the POTF2 line now, and wish I'd never bought the first one.

I would sell them, but I'd lose money just by driving to the post office...

Right now, they're in a container stuck back in a shelf. I don't think we'll see their value go up anytime soon.
 
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
0
Hey, some of the POTF2 figures are better than their present day counterparts. I kept a few of them, and they display just as well next to most of the modern day stuff. It's not really about value to me. They were good when I bought them, and they're just as good now.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
Bounty_Hunter_XP said:
I hate the POTF2 line now, and wish I'd never bought the first one.

I would sell them, but I'd lose money just by driving to the post office...

Right now, they're in a container stuck back in a shelf. I don't think we'll see their value go up anytime soon.
For some of us, it ain't about value. The POTF2 is the best modern line out there, simple. A true heir to the vintage line. Great character choice, releases, many excellent sculpts, accessories which aren't made up on paper-thin plastic that bends in the packaging, arms and legs that don't pop off if you look at them too sternly etc etc.

Do you slate the original 1978-85 line just as much? After all, those sculpts were even worse/lacking in articulation. Or because they're "valuable" is that OK???

POTF2 was also a genuine attempt by HasKen to do the best they could with each figure. There was no guarantee the line was going to last for years and years, so each sculpt was an attempt to make "the best version" of that figure. Did they always succeed? No, but they tried.

Nowadays, Hasbro intention makes figures that are lacking in certain areas (e.g. Tatooine Luke in TAC not having articulated knees) just so they can go back and "correct" the problem and re-release it and get hordes of SW buyers to slavishly pick 'em up.

POTF2 rocks.

 
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
0
Location
Wheeling, WV
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
Bounty_Hunter_XP said:
I hate the POTF2 line now, and wish I'd never bought the first one.

I would sell them, but I'd lose money just by driving to the post office...

Right now, they're in a container stuck back in a shelf. I don't think we'll see their value go up anytime soon.
For some of us, it ain't about value. The POTF2 is the best modern line out there, simple. A true heir to the vintage line. Great character choice, releases, many excellent sculpts, accessories which aren't made up on paper-thin plastic that bends in the packaging, arms and legs that don't pop off if you look at them too sternly etc etc.

Do you slate the original 1978-85 line just as much? After all, those sculpts were even worse/lacking in articulation. Or because they're "valuable" is that OK???

POTF2 was also a genuine attempt by HasKen to do the best they could with each figure. There was no guarantee the line was going to last for years and years, so each sculpt was an attempt to make "the best version" of that figure. Did they always succeed? No, but they tried.

Nowadays, Hasbro intention makes figures that are lacking in certain areas (e.g. Tatooine Luke in TAC not having articulated knees) just so they can go back and "correct" the problem and re-release it and get hordes of SW buyers to slavishly pick 'em up.

POTF2 rocks.

Ackbar pretty much hit it on the nose. I've agreed with him on several different occasions regarding different POTF2 threads. The POTF2 line was the return of Star Wars 10 years after the vintage lines. Within that time things change in the toy hobby as far as sculpting and design, as did the demographics of the buyers. 1995-1998 was the perfect attempt to re-release our favorite characters and a few newer ones from the OT. To this day there has been nothing quite as nostalgic out there. I still collect figures from the POTF2 line on occassion, mainly bootlegs (which I have a ton) and some foriegn variants and I still enjoy them more than any current day release. If you talking money... don't. Just get rid of them if you don't want them and take what you can get as you are not going to get any real amount for common one's.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
Yep, Rebo knows the POTF2 goodness!

Not that I could care less about values, but (at least in UK) recent POTF2 auctions are outstripping more modern stuff. I was outbid on a few POTF2 figures (Boba, Garindan and a few others) which ended up going for £2-3. In contract, my loose/mint McQuarrie Concept Fett didn't sell for £1.75.

So, more collectors are realising they don't need to put up with shoddy QC and are discovering the FUN that is POTF2!!
(No rainbow coloured stormtroopers either)
 
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
0
Location
Wheeling, WV
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
(No rainbow coloured stormtroopers either)
I'd say! My god! How many more Storm/Clone Trooper variants can they come up with on the modern line?!? I think they forgot the purple, Imperial Dignitary's bodyguard with removable helmet, limited edition with gold coin, Commander Bleeeehhhh! WTF! Give it a rest!
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
794
Reaction score
0
Not at all 99% of poft2 are worth absolutley nothing and will never go up in price (in fact they keep going down!). They still sell poft2 figures in our local boyes store for 99p and its 2008. To many people thought they would be worth something one day like the vintage line.

I had a few potf2 carded and it would cost so much in ebay and paypal fees, packing and posting you'd be lucky to break even so i just gave them away where i could and concentrated on my carded vintage collection.
 
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Well he's not totally wrong. Huge lots of carded POTF2 figs consistently go for like $2 per fig on fleabay. They were produced in quantities too large to ever be worth as much as vintage figs, but they're not worthless. POTF2 is still the only line of figures I like, because people who played with and bought star wars toys from 95-98 or so like what they had.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
POTF2FTW said:
Well he's not totally wrong. Huge lots of carded POTF2 figs consistently go for like $2 per fig on fleabay. They were produced in quantities too large to ever be worth as much as vintage figs, but they're not worthless. POTF2 is still the only line of figures I like, because people who played with and bought star wars toys from 95-98 or so like what they had.
I didn't play with 'em (grew up with vintage), and they're still my favourite line!

Value isn't solely about £/$. And if it is in some people's eyes...well, that's sad for them.
 
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
I didn't play with 'em (grew up with vintage), and they're still my favourite line!

Value isn't solely about £/$. And if it is in some people's eyes...well, that's sad for them.
You're right. I should have written "produced in quantities too large to ever be worth as much as the vintage figs monetarily"

I have a question that I don't think warrants it's own thread. I have a few POTF2 figs that aren't in great condition, but rather than replace them I was hoping I could somehow clean them up? Any ideas on that?
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
0
I say keep em. While yes there were tons of the POTF2 made, over time less and less remain carded and in mint condition. So all the people throwing them around and giving them away are in a sense making the line scarcer and scarcer all the time .

Out of all the new figures that have come out I'd say ,and this is a hunch mine,that POTF2 figs have the greatest chance of being worth a pretty penny one day.Just the sheer amount of product that was produced from phantom menace to now should give a little insight into how much more product has been put out since the POTF2 days.


And lets be honest MOMC figs of vintage SW figs are not numerous as POTF2 figs. So that leaves kids of the 90's who have grown up( yearning for a sense of SW nostalgia) really only one option when wanting to buy vintage, namely "vintage POTF2" figures.

Also ,as others have posted, the Kenner factor I think will have a lot to do with increased interest in "vintage POTF2 " toys.

Add to the fact that the POTF2 line is the last real OT line before the phantom menace.That gives the POTF2 line more of a special nature as well.

All in all I loved collecting SW figs as a kid.I love my POTF2 collection and wouldn't sell it, because even though I was an 80's kid I didn't really grow up with SW till the late 80's and early nineties.Hence for me POTF2 is my vintage.
 
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am wanting to sell my entire star wars collection. Starting with the POTF 2. EP1, EP2, AND EP3. Ebay is too congested. Any thoughts.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
yodaman1234 said:
I say keep em. While yes there were tons of the POTF2 made, over time less and less remain carded and in mint condition. So all the people throwing them around and giving them away are in a sense making the line scarcer and scarcer all the time .

Out of all the new figures that have come out I'd say ,and this is a hunch mine,that POTF2 figs have the greatest chance of being worth a pretty penny one day.Just the sheer amount of product that was produced from phantom menace to now should give a little insight into how much more product has been put out since the POTF2 days.


And lets be honest MOMC figs of vintage SW figs are not numerous as POTF2 figs. So that leaves kids of the 90's who have grown up( yearning for a sense of SW nostalgia) really only one option when wanting to buy vintage, namely "vintage POTF2" figures.

Also ,as others have posted, the Kenner factor I think will have a lot to do with increased interest in "vintage POTF2 " toys.

Add to the fact that the POTF2 line is the last real OT line before the phantom menace.That gives the POTF2 line more of a special nature as well.

All in all I loved collecting SW figs as a kid.I love my POTF2 collection and wouldn't sell it, because even though I was an 80's kid I didn't really grow up with SW till the late 80's and early nineties.Hence for me POTF2 is my vintage.
All excellent points. As can be seen by pretty much most of my posts on RS, I haver never understood the hate for POTF2.
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
0
I think a lot of this hatred comes from the fact people are trying to compare the way figures looked then to now. Better quality is to be expected as a toy line continues. This is what happened in this case. Hasbro got better at making the toys and it is reflected in the product.

The funny thing is once these figures become valuable, if they ever do become valuable, people's hatred will switch real quick I think.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
I think its hypocritical that people don't like POTF2 because they're not as accurate/articulated/"good" as the new ones, and yet vintage - technically even "worse" than POTF2 - is treated like a God among them. Hey, I grew up with vintage, I love it, I just think the contradiction is amusing.

Down to nostalgia...

and, I suspect with some, also down to £/$. I suspect if the value of vintage disappeared, you'd get a lot more people "leaving the hobby" quickly
 
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
0
Location
Wheeling, WV
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
I think its hypocritical that people don't like POTF2 because they're not as accurate/articulated/"good" as the new ones, and yet vintage - technically even "worse" than POTF2 - is treated like a God among them. Hey, I grew up with vintage, I love it, I just think the contradiction is amusing.

Down to nostalgia...

and, I suspect with some, also down to £/$. I suspect if the value of vintage disappeared, you'd get a lot more people "leaving the hobby" quickly
The other thing is, regarding the fact that people "hating" the POTF2 line compared to vintage, is the time lapse between vintage and POTF2. During that 9 year span you gained a whole new generation of Star Wars fans and collectors who were at the time into the "superhero" style figures. That is the main reason for the change in look compared to vintage back in the day. And the vintage "old timers"
, like me, didn't like the new look. As time went by, especially during the POTJ era, the look and detail became much better. It was just a bad marketing and design choice made by Kenner, they were just trying to make toys that would be sold by current trends not by what vintage collectors would think.

I, also, think that it's amusing now that people compare the "look" of POTF2 figures to current ones. Hey this was 13 years ago. And, quite frankly, I really don't like a lot of the super articulation that the newer one's have. They wear to easy (not that I play with any
).

And, lastly, don't even get me started on $! As I said before, and I'll say it again *sigh*, The values of your POTF2 figures will never hit what they did in the mid 90's, ever. Yes, there are a few exceptions: some rare foriegn, THX inserts, Showtime exc., ect.... but the basic one's will remain pretty much where they are MAYBE a little more as time goes by. But I think that great!

The values of vintage pretty much peaked at this time. They have stayed stagnet since the late 90's on most. Even the POTF figures with the coins. Yak Face and Blue Snag have gained the most (as far as basic figures). That is why more people have opted to get into the "variant" bandwagon.

Ackbar: I'm going to send you a PM here shortly on something that you might enjoy!

Cheers!
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
537
Reaction score
0
Don't do it! I own all the POTF2 basic figures and I won't give them up. Don't give in to hate, that leads to the darkside of the force.
 
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
537
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
wsharkey said:
Don't do it! I own all the POTF2 basic figures and I won't give them up.
You won't give them up...unless you can't make a profit from them?
(Just responded to your other thread)
 
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
0
Location
Wheeling, WV
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
wsharkey said:
Don't do it! I own all the POTF2 basic figures and I won't give them up.
You won't give them up...unless you can't make a profit from them?
(Just responded to your other thread)
Rebojazz hands Ackbar a wooden spoon! LOL. I can also smell the contradiction in the air. Sharkey: just a couple days ago you were wanting information on values to sell these things later on, has reality hit you and decided to just keep them for good?


All the answers to your question in the other thread can be found in this one buddy. Value is such a broad word, means different things from one person to another. Like Ackbar said, monetary-wise, look for other means of investing. Even things like vintage prototypes, art or bootlegs jump up an down as far as current market trends. I really feel sorry for all the people who bought hoards of POTF2 stuff thinking it will make them retired by now.....no, actually I don't
.
 
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
This is the best star wars line! All of the sculpting from Kenner toys is incredible! I have several of these figures with me right now in my car!
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
*Accepts wooden spoon from Rebojazz*

Hope I wasn't too harsh with ya Sharkey, but like Rebo, I have limited sympathy with anyone who thought they were going to make a mint with these things (I'm not necessarily saying that's you, by the way).

And Ted - welcome to the site. Looks like you've made some friends already!
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
0
Location
South West Tatooine, CA
You could always do what I'm doing....sell the 3 3/4' stuff and get GG items. Even at $2.00 a figure, you'd be surprised at the collection of staues you can aquire in a short time....provided you take advantage of the great deals you can find from fellow scummers, that is.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
jaymassive619 said:
Carded POTF 2 are available at 2 for a £1 in our local pound shop (Darlington)
Great deal for some great figs! Wonder if my local pound shop has got something similar...
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, WA
I'm planning on giving my POTF figures to my kids (when I have some). They seem superior to newer figures in terms of durability. Plus I can get them a nice collection without breaking the bank.
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
I gave all of my POTF figs to my two nephews when ROTS was released and they still play with them. In contrast, at the same time they were spending their pocket money on ROTS figs and most are now in pieces.
The last figure I ever bought that I just had to open was the POTF2 Rebel Fleet Trooper, I had wanted one so badly during the vintage run back in the 70s/80s.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
0
Kirishima said:
I gave all of my POTF figs to my two nephews when ROTS was released and they still play with them. In contrast, at the same time they were spending their pocket money on ROTS figs and most are now in pieces.
It's an excellent point and one I've mentioned before. New figures with all their articulation just fall apart too easily, whereas I can quite understand how kids would prefer POTF2 anyday.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I used to have every single figure and vehicle from the POTF2 up till power of the Jedi line... and most of EP 1 and EP2/saga stuff.... and then in one day of madness, decided to sell them off on ebay (save for my fetts!).... and being a foreign collector and not living in the US, it was quite a task, both initially collecting it, and selling it!!.... and till this day... I am still wondering why i sold it all off.. no regrets tho... i have lots of space now in my room!!!

tho sometimes the tinge of nostalgia reminds me when i see the new figures/toys in the toyshops.
Am now into 12" figures... more articulation!!!!

But heck... the Kenner POTF2 line for me still ROCKS!!! as compared to the new flimsy stuff from hasbro...
 
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
I love the POTF2. I even just picked up about 150 of them during the last 2 months.

And it's not because I collected them when they came out and have nostalgic feelings. I just happen to like them. The best are just as nice as sommer of the better kenner vintage.

Having said that, it is certianly true that some of the figures that came out in the first years have a terrible looking body builder shaped torso. That just redicilus and totally contrary to the star wars atmosphere(to me), but probably it has something to do with what Hasbro was used to produce at this time. So there are a few that I dont even want in my collection. But then again there are also figures I dont want in the newer collections...

I dont know why people want to get rid of them. I cant help thinking it is a about status and money. These arent expensuve, and carry no high status, and that affects the way people percieve them.

-Sune
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2003
Messages
220
Reaction score
0
They're not worth keeping as an investment. They're definitely worth keeping as cool toys from an exciting time. I'm getting more and more nostalgic for the potf2 stuff all the time.
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
794
Reaction score
0
Its depends on why you want to keep them!

You will never ever recover the retail price you paid for these figures even in 20 years let alone make a profit. Every one who invested in this line invested in a dead duck and have lost probably 3 quarters or the money they paid to get them at retail price originally. Apart from a very few exceptions the figures are worth nothing in terms of money.

Put it this way they are selling red and green mint carded potf2 figures in our pound shop at 2 for a £1 right now in 2008 and they still cant shift them.

I find it amusing that people who bought this line to hoard and make profit have lost out on their intial outlay!

At the same time though i have nothing but the utmost respect for the people who enjoy the potf2 line for the quality of the figures, sentimental reasons etc.
 
Joined
Oct 4, 2003
Messages
280
Reaction score
0
I'm an opener so re-sale isn't even a consideration for me. I knew from the start that these figures would never be worth anything. I collect Star Wars because I enjoy the hobby, and I like Star Wars.

POTF2 figures still have their places in my displays. You have to remember that in the five years that POTF2 was a line, there were considerable improvements to the sculpts. The Commtech line are still some of my favorite versions of the main characters. Many figures from this line are still considered definitive versions of characters (By me at least
). Most of the figures in my purchase of the Droids dio are either POTF2 figures or POTF2 sculpts (Re-released Jawas). Half of my cantina is POTF2 as well. These are good figures.

-Mike M
 
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
0
broox said:
They're not worth keeping as an investment. They're definitely worth keeping as cool toys from an exciting time. I'm getting more and more nostalgic for the potf2 stuff all the time.
I second that, very much so.
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,336
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
Hold a massiver bon fire and well do some burning, there's only a small handful of figures that are worth keeping but overall this line is a pass.
 
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
11,195
Reaction score
11
Location
Chandler, AZ
Ishi-Tib
Jawas
Tusken Raider
Emperor Palpatine
ASP-7
EV-9DB
Yakface
Lav Sivrak
8D8
Ree-Yees
Pote Snitkin
Aunt Beru
Jawa with Gonk Droid
 
Top