POTF2 worth keeping?

Reaction score
I have tonnes of inferior POTF2 figures, both sealed and loose. Now that Hasbro is releasing new sculpts of a lot of these characters, I have been considering ditching my POTF2 collection for whtever I can get for them.

I have noticed on eBay that most of the figures are only worth a few dollars anyway.

1 thing is I still have a POTF2 Y-Wing MIB that I don't know if I am going to unload or not. I paid $130 Cdn for it back in the day and now I noticed that they are going for $50 on eBay.

Should I get rid of ths stuff at a loss or wait and see if the value goes up?

Or should I just keep my POTF2 stuff in my collection?

Anyone else get rid of their POTF2?

Reaction score
if you must do what you feel right?

and no i'm not giving up my POTF2 i've worked on my collection for ten years.

Reaction score
True enough. But with so many years of collecting ahead, I will run out of room soon.

I don't display any of my POTF2 figures. They're all just piled in a drawer.

I guess the main thing is I am worried that once I get rid of them, several months down the road I will really wish I didn't.

Confused.

Reaction score
yeah I understand I felt that way when I gave away my
non-Star Wars toys

I don't really display my POTF2 figures either, because
they are in a traveling trunk

Reaction score
I'd be interested in certain ones if they are canadian versions and you start selling.

Reaction score
I hear ya, my newer figures are edging out my POTF2 collection little by little. Eventually, I'll just be displaying the figures that haven't been updated since.

...plus I like to keep a set of the POTF2 versions of the "Original 12." out on display. I don't know why, it just amuses me.

Reaction score
Darth_Tedious said:
I have tonnes of inferior POTF2 figures, both sealed and loose. Now that Hasbro is releasing new sculpts of a lot of these characters, I have been considering ditching my POTF2 collection for whtever I can get for them.

I have noticed on eBay that most of the figures are only worth a few dollars anyway.

1 thing is I still have a POTF2 Y-Wing MIB that I don't know if I am going to unload or not. I paid $130 Cdn for it back in the day and now I noticed that they are going for $50 on eBay.

Should I get rid of ths stuff at a loss or wait and see if the value goes up?
I have tons of POTF2 stuff myself and I really don't plan on getting rid of any of it. To me, since I've been a fan since the original movies, that was the return of Star Wars toys... as ugly as they were.

If you still have an interest in them, keep them. If not and you want to focus on other figure lines, sell them. If your waiting on the value to go up, good luck. Very, very, very, very, very few figures these days have great monetary value. Remeber when POTF2 Lando was like $40 because he was really hard to find for a while? I pitty the people that bought 5 or 6 of him. Even the TAC figures of today... some are a little high because you can't find them in Target anymore. They are just the current HOT item. In a year when a different line is filling the pegs their value will go down, too. By then we may no longer see SAGA figures on the pegs

Reaction score
Same dilemma here. I thought about selling them, but then I thought about the time it took me to amass them. I agree with Rebojazz in that they are part of the history of Star Wars toys (an important part of history at that). I as well have the "original 12" put aside so I can put them on display again. It is nice to see the evolution from the vintage days all the way through to the present. Sell off doubles but keep the rest, 'cause someday you might be kicking yourself hard for not keeping them. Good luck!

Reaction score
I dont mind keeping a MOC POTF fig if it's the first-ever version of a character (Biggs, Tarkin, Aunt Beru, Uncle Owen, etc). There will always be newer, "better" versions, but there can only be one first.

Also, loose POTF troop builders add some variety, and are great for "beefing up" the ranks.

Reaction score
Well, since I've recently made the decision to scale drastically back on the new stuff, and go for what I consider the SUPERIOR POTF2 stuff, my advice is obviously going to be keep them! POTF2 is the ONLY modern line that can hold a light to the original vintage. I may post some thoughts on my recent 'conversion', so I'll be able to explain my reasoning.

But keep them! POTF2 rocks!

Reaction score
It's cool to get such varied feedback on POTF2. For sure there is a sharp division in whether collectors 'love' or 'hate' the line.

Unfortunately, this is not helping my decision. I read one post and I decide to get rid of them, the next post convinces me to keep them.

I guess I'll have to mull it around for a while.

Thanks for all the feedback. You've all given me something to think about.

GNT

Reaction score
POTF is where it all started, yeah the figures were horrible but they were aimed at kids when the line started, it was only later that collectors emerged and Hasbro shifted away giving us some weird and wacky choices. Without this line we wouldn't be here now.

It's to go back and laugh about the figures.

Reaction score
As far as a collecting hobby is concerned, POTF2 is an awesome line. As you can see here, a lot of people are still digging this series, for whatever reason, and there is a strong collector base that isn't likely to fade away soon.

Financially, you're gonna take a bath selling most POTF2 items. Even stuff that's pretty tough to find 10+ years later will generally fetch a low price, unfortunately, simply because SO many people collected POTF2. There's still a high level of interest in foreign items, prototypes, variations and so forth, but prices remain greatly deflated for the most part. So, even if you really needed the money, it may still not be worth unloading them at the moment.

IMHO, hold on to the figures for now
It's a buyer's market currently which means 1) it's usually easy to fill holes in the collection; 2) figures are widely available, despite the rock-bottom prices right now; 3) if you have patience, you will find that you'll be able to acquire some cool items for the long run. People tend to underestimate how much amazing history is behind the POTF2 line, making it very enjoyable to collect

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Reaction score
I agree, right now there is so much POTF2 on eBay and the like for very very little. Even formerly "hot" or "rare" figures can be found cheap, although there are still a few that even today still fetch a decent price, if they're MOC, if its a Dagobah Luke then you'll barely get a buck, but if its something a bit more rare maybe a few bucks...

But as the line gets sold off, has some more age on it, and the younguns become the nostalgic old farts, then the values will slowly edge up. Remember, it took some time for the latter Vintage stuff to become worth something. So give it time. Sell off the doubles, trade off the loose stuff maybe, there are plenty who like using POTF2 stuff for customs, dioramas and other hole fillers. And if you've got Canadian releases with their package, that's already a draw for an American or foreign collector.

Even most comic shops have purged their old POTF2 stock, unless its like a signed figure, or a "rare" variant, or they're just greedy SOB's who still want to sell it for what you could have sold it for back in 97

Reaction score
It's probably the best time to finish off the set or even start one of you already haven't - POTF2 are going for next to nothing!

I'd take POTF2 over those Bend-Ems that's for sure.
I got rid of my Bend-Ems for a buck each and haven't missed them!!

Reaction score
If there in a drawer anyways, I'd sell them off. If you just lock them away, might as well only keep the ones you really want.

Reaction score
I for one am selling off my freeze frame figures. A short
while back I sold my Weequay and Sandtrooper. I held off
selling them for over a year because of what I had to do to
get the Weequay. I still regret selling them, but I decided
to sell/trade/donate all of my Star Wars action figures,
ships, and playsets, and just collect Action Fleet/Micromachines.

Reaction score
A guy at a local collector's store has offered me $60 cash or $90 store credit for the following.

If anyone can tell me if this is a good deal or not, I'd be very grateful.

POTF2: Orange Card

-Darth Vader x1
-Luke Skywalker x1
-Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight x1
-Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot
-Leia Organa x2( 1 MOC, 1 with bend in card)
-Chewbacca x1
-Lando Calrissian x2 (1 MOC, 1 warped card)
-Yoda x1
-Han Solo Hoth Gear x1

POTF2: Green Card

-Han Solo x1
-Han Solo in Carbonite x1

HOLOS:

-Han Solo Endor Gear x1
-Dengar x1
-Bib Fortuna x1
-Bossk x1

Slide:

-Prune Face x2

Vehicles:

-Endor Luke Skywalker with Speeder Bike (MIB)

Box Sets:

-Cantina Showdown (Ponda Baba, Dr. Evazan, Ben Kenobi) x1 (MIB)
-Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt x1 (MIB)

Reaction score
That is a little less than 3 bucks a piece if you take the cash. 4 Bucks if you take the credit. Its not really that bad of a deal.

Reaction score
A good deal for you! But he will struggle to move them on with any type of profit (but that's not your problem!)

Reaction score
If you really don't want them, why not donate them to a nearby Childrens Charity or something?

Reaction score
Some of the POTF2 items are worth keeping because they do not have a more detailed version yet (Owen, Beru, Zuckuss). Some other things, like the EU Concept Vehicles (Airspeeder, Cloud Car, Speeder Bike) are unique enough that they have their own charm. And, as has been said, some of the POTF2 figures are good for scene fillers.

Reaction score
JediJunkie247 said:
Some of the POTF2 items are worth keeping because they do not have a more detailed version yet (Owen, Beru, Zuckuss). Some other things, like the EU Concept Vehicles (Airspeeder, Cloud Car, Speeder Bike) are unique enough that they have their own charm. And, as has been said, some of the POTF2 figures are good for scene fillers.
Couldn't agree more. For sure I won't be getting rid of any characters that have not had better sculpts to replace them yet (I'm looking at YOU Ponda Baba!) Plus I really like those concept vehicles, even if the pilots are kind of poorly done.

Many of my droid and alien POTF2 will be customized for just that- scene filler.

Reaction score
I'd say they are worth keeping because they are the last figures that Kenner ever made (before Hasbro closed their doors in 2000). Remember, Hasbro bought Kenner, but the POTF2 figures were sold under the Kenner brand (the figures and cards were labeled with the Kenner logo). This was from the 1995 Luke through the 1998 Leia Hoth. After that, they were sold just under the Hasbro name (Flashback figures onward).

Keep em.

Reaction score
POTF2 is only worth keeping from a completist or nostalgic POV. As an investment, the line will never hold any value, save for a few variations.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help Darth-Tedious. I've considered selling mine too but have no interest in doing so, since A: it would take alot of time, and B: even though I feel I could get back what I paid for them, it would be a lot of trouble for about $1,000 or so I guess, maybe more since it's pretty much all but four or five rare POTF2 variants.

What you have to ask yourself is, is the money you'd get for them worth the time, trouble, and most importantly, NOT having them anymore. I'm not trying to psychoanalyze you or anything, but what occurs to me is that if you don't know for sure that you definitely want to get rid of them and get it over with, then some part of you definitely still wants them. And it would be much more palatable to have them, and occationally wonder if you should get rid of them, than it would be to get rid of them, and occationally feel like crap because they're gone. That's what I think anyway.
That can be moved from place to placed and stored where they're out of the way, and then they're not in the way, but you still have them, and since the money you'd get for them would be not much, maybe even less than you paid for them all totaled up, even better to keep them so you don't take a loss. That's what I think.
Whatever you do, you have to do what you know feels right for you, regardless of what anyone says. It is a hard decision for sure, but I think you're right in asking. It's nice having a sounding board to see what others think. Good luck!

**cough, cough, keep em',cough cough**
Heheheh.

Reaction score
Darth_Tedious said:
I have tonnes of inferior POTF2 figures,I have been considering ditching my POTF2 collection for whatever I can get for them.
I agree the POTF2 figures are inferior to what is and has been made available the last couple of years. I sold just about every POTF2 figure I owned except those that have not yet had an upgrade. I also sold them dirt cheap just to be rid of them.

Reaction score
LordDarkHelmet said:
Darth_Tedious said:
I have tonnes of inferior POTF2 figures,I have been considering ditching my POTF2 collection for whatever I can get for them.
I agree the POTF2 figures are inferior to what is and has been made available the last couple of years. I sold just about every POTF2 figure I owned except those that have not yet had an upgrade. I also sold them dirt cheap just to be rid of them.
POTF2 is way better than the new stuff. Good sculpts, and they don't fall apart if you look at them too sternly.

Reaction score
I have allot of MOC POTF figures too...but wont get what I at least paid for...so I'm keeping them.

Reaction score
The only figures from POTF2 that havent had an update

Ackbar
Piett
Zuckuss
Yavin ceremony Leia
Special Edition ASP droid that lifts some heavy bar and bonks that one Imperial floaty thing on the head
Emperor Palpatine- still have a salt and pepper shaker pose figure
Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen need new figures
Ponda Bab and his dr boss

Reaction score
jamesanshutz said:
The only figures from POTF2 that havent had an update

Ackbar
Piett
Zuckuss
Yavin ceremony Leia
Special Edition ASP droid that lifts some heavy bar and bonks that one Imperial floaty thing on the head
Emperor Palpatine- still have a salt and pepper shaker pose figure
Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen need new figures
Ponda Bab and his dr boss
Okay...? So what? They're the only ones keeping? Not sure I understand your point

Reaction score
So. I traded my POTF2 figures that were still carded in to my local dealer. He gave me a $90 store certificate for the lot.

Here's were it gets interesting- He has gone out of business! I have been trying to get in touch with him, but so far he hasn't gotten back to me.

There may just be a curse on this line, so if you have 'em- keep 'em!

Reaction score
I recently took out some of my potf2 stuff and was quite surprised that a pang of nostalgia hit me. I guess it's been long enough now for nostalgia to sink in on this line. I kind of miss the simplicity of it, the feeling that you could possibly get them all, before the avalanche of product that has come out since overwhelmed casual collectors like myself. I also appreciate the "kid" factor look to them more now than I used to, the idea that these were meant to be toys and not necessarily collector items, much like the vintage line.

Reaction score
I have a strong sentimental attachment to my vintage collection. I have all my figures in pretty darn good shape from when I was a kid.

I collected some POTF2 figures because it was fun to see the SW logo on shelves again, but I have no sentimental attachment to the figures at all.

Reaction score
Surely none of us here are in this for the money?? Right??
It's the sheer joy of the hobby. I have a complete MOMC set of POTF2 figures that I started back in my Star Wars Golden Years (1997-1999) and just finished back in 2005 at the same time I was snapping up ROTS off the shelves. Keep your POTF2 figures if they make you happy. That is what's important.

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
I recently took out some of my potf2 stuff and was quite surprised that a pang of nostalgia hit me. I guess it's been long enough now for nostalgia to sink in on this line. I kind of miss the simplicity of it, the feeling that you could possibly get them all, before the avalanche of product that has come out since overwhelmed casual collectors like myself. I also appreciate the "kid" factor look to them more now than I used to, the idea that these were meant to be toys and not necessarily collector items, much like the vintage line.

[/QUOTE]

I've been feeling the same way since the beginning of the year. Also, the whole Kenner element and the "end of an era" that someone mentioned earlier have got me back in the POTF2 hunt. A few years back I sold off pretty much my entire loose POTF2 collection to go on a hiking trip in Maui (well worth it BTW!). I've collected primarily vintage ever since, picking up some of the modern stuff along the way. The scalper-friendly TAC line and all the games that Hasbro has been playing with collectors as of late really sucked the fun out of modern collecting for me. I've been working on a Cantina focus for a couple of years now and the nostalgic feel that some of the earlier POTF2 aliens has gotten me back in touch with the roots of the modern era and I've been trying to piece my POTF2 collection back together. I think e-bay's "neo-classic" title is incredibly fitting and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a resurgence in the line in the coming years. You might be glad you held on to 'em.

Randy

Reaction score
Scout2 said:
POTF2 is actually the only line I like.

Always looking for more...
Agreed. I managed to pick up Zuckuss, Ree-Yees and Ishi Tib all loose/mint/complete for a song at the weekend at a collector's fair!

Reaction score
I recently gave all of my red card POTF2 figures to a friend's son for his 5th birthday. They've been boxed up in a closet for almost 5 years now. I was moving, and figured, I haven't looked at these in so long, I won't miss them anyway.

He was THRILLED. Out of all his birthday presents, he liked the POTF2 figures the best. His Mom was excited, too. Until he mentioned changing the theme of his room to SW