POTF2 Question? Help

Reaction score
I didn't really know where to turn. I couldn't post in the POTF2 section as it doesn't look like there is a link to post new threads. Forgive me if this is the wrong section.

I was was wondering if there is any information in regards to the light matte grey Darth Vader. I am looking for any info on its production. Is it a sample, variation or an error? What is the going rate for one of these. I searched the POTF2 section in advanced search options and came up with nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
Looks like it's just missing the gloss black paint applications on the armor. Considering the long lightsaber, I'd guess it was a production error from early in the run.

Reaction score
I think there's more to it than that. I know I have read something about it years ago I just can't find any literature on it. Thanks for your input though.

Reaction score
I wish I had more to contribute but I am always surprised that even 20 years later, the exact origins/purpose of this piece have not been determined. I think, however, that as they have turned up loose and carded over those two decades, we are getting a little closer.

My inkling 20 years later (LOL!) is that these were internal samples and probably never shipped at retail, in the USA or elsewhere. Then again, both Kenner and Hasbro have, for whatever reason, sent samples out in retail assortments. Think figures with different deco applications, no date stamps on the cards, etc. "Sample" is also a broad term - for the POTF2 line, it could mean anything from a Kenner standard tag (which comes in numerous iterations) to a production-quality mockup used internally (Luke Ceremonial on 2-1B card, for example). Moreover, the figure could be a production-quality piece or even an unpainted first shot.

For the elusive "gray" Vader, the carded ones that have surfaced, to my knowledge, have no date stamps. Since this is the case across the board, it lends credence to the internal sample theory. Kenner (and later Hasbro) certainly created batches of samples for each piece, especially in the pre-digital era where physical samples were still in prominent use. At first, they were coming out of Eastern Asia but have since turned up from US sources as well, which negates the notion that these were some sort of Asian market item (this was a theory for some time).

Furthermore, in 2011, two loose examples showed up, both from the same seller based in the Cincinnati area. I never held one myself but I would assume they were fully marked with dates and copyrights; that, however, does not mean they weren't samples of some sort, as they were found with a rather impressive assortment of engineering pilots and paint samples from the same era.

I don't think it is an error in the traditional sense. It could be an early version of the figure, however, before the glossy apps were added for the helmet, boots and armor. In an ideal world, one of these would turn up with a Kenner standard tag with QC notes on it :)

Reaction score
I remember I bought this back in the late 90s at a flea market along with Princess Leia who was tough to track down. I remember all the dealers had the long sabers, half circle Boba Fetts and all those other crazy errors. I think the Half Circles were commanding like a couple 100.00 bucks then. At the time it was sold to me I think it was listed a error/variation. I think I paid like 50.00.

I I tried looking for a datestamp and was unable to locate one. It's probably just buried behind the cape.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Try flipping the figure over and holding it up to the light and/or running your finger across the area directly behind the figure. Most of the time, though not always, you can see/feel the impression from the datestamp - these were literally stamped into the card stock. Vader is tough because the figure sits so deep in the bubble; if you play around with lighting you should be able to determine the presence of a datestamp.

Reaction score
Try flipping the figure over and holding it up to the light and/or running your finger across the area directly behind the figure. Most of the time, though not always, you can see/feel the impression from the datestamp - these were literally stamped into the card stock. Vader is tough because the figure sits so deep in the bubble; if you play around with lighting you should be able to determine the presence of a datestamp.

Im at work right now. When I get home I will look again.

Reaction score
I looked the figure over again and still not noticing one. There is no datestamp.
That is in line with all the carded examples that have surfaced to date (as far as I know!) so I'm sticking to my theory that it is an early sample. The lack of date stamps on carded examples, the fact that carded and loose ones have surfaced in the Far East and in the States from folks with Kenner connections and the low numbers overall point to it being preproduction.

I think some will still contend it is some sort of variant, though I think the numbers are too low to suggest that. When the loose ones came up in 2011, some people scoffed at the idea that they fetched high prices because they insisted they were nothing more than production figures. I was never in that camp because in collecting POTF2 prototype material, I have come across a number of samples/engineering pilots from Kenner sources were painted and had copyright markings...but they were clearly preproduction pieces nevertheless.

In any event, congrats on adding it to your collection!

Reaction score
That is in line with all the carded examples that have surfaced to date (as far as I know!) so I'm sticking to my theory that it is an early sample. The lack of date stamps on carded examples, the fact that carded and loose ones have surfaced in the Far East and in the States from folks with Kenner connections and the low numbers overall point to it being preproduction.

I think some will still contend it is some sort of variant, though I think the numbers are too low to suggest that. When the loose ones came up in 2011, some people scoffed at the idea that they fetched high prices because they insisted they were nothing more than production figures. I was never in that camp because in collecting POTF2 prototype material, I have come across a number of samples/engineering pilots from Kenner sources were painted and had copyright markings...but they were clearly preproduction pieces nevertheless.

In any event, congrats on adding it to your collection!

Any my idea of its value?

Thank you you for your help.

Reaction score
I noticed also that the grayish figure is a little bit bigger than the polished figure.

Reaction score
They have always been considered to be very valuable in the eyes of modern collectors. One sold a few years back for about $3500.

Is that the actual value? Who knows. It is a "grail" piece of sorts but there are also more of them in existence than previously imagined. Yours looks to be in very nice shape to boot. If you are the one that snagged the lot of figures including Vader for $1000, I'd say you got a pretty decent deal ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had seen that listing and that was what sparked my interest. I had seen it listed as an auction, end, then realist for 1000
BIN. I contacted the seller but he didn't know to much other than he got it from a recent employee. I believe if memory serves me correctly, I got mine at a Grossman Raynham Flea Market sometime ago and it was 50 bucks I think and sold as a variation. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't seeing things.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right place. Is there a CLASSIFIED for Hasbro Star Wars? I am looking for parts for a POTF AT-ST. I posted in vintage but told to go to modern section but where is the classified section?