Post Editing Limitations And You

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
As there's been some conversation about the post editing changes, I thought I'd better define why they are there for everybody, and what we can and can't do to deal with threads that have had a need for ongoing editing.

Fundamentally, a forum that can have its content edited and changed is not the record of posting that I wish to continue. I'm not in favor of having the ability to change history.

This means in general posting, if you don't mean to say it, you shouldn't. If you mean to say it, you should think about it before you write it and you should write it well. If you are concerned about spelling, grammar or other mistakes, you should take advantage of the two days you have to edit your posts, or possibly think about it more as you actually write it.

We are aware of the genuine need to edit some content, primarily in list and reference threads. It is very unfortunate there is no current way to allow us to manage editing of these threads to deal with these needs satisfactorily. We are trying very hard to understand the needs of these specific threads. There aren't a great number of these, but we know they are important, so we are looking very hard to find a way to deal with them. In the meantime, we may create new forum sections in the category sections just for these types of threads. This will mean the content needs to be in the first post (an unfortunate limitation), but at least it will be editable.

We have also moved the maximum number of characters per post up to 100k and 250 pictures, which though very large, seems to be needed for some of them.

Reaction score
thank you for the explanation. It is something that makes sense, and much better than
Sorry you disagree. We have discussed it and this is what we've decided. Please don't get started on what you think you should have "rights" to do here. Discussions like that only end in disaster when it comes to the internet.
I understand the concept that members could change posts in the past, but I do hope there is a way to maintain the integrity of reference and index threads, etc. This is a great forum, and the only SW site I visit, so I hope you guys can keep it that way.

Reaction score
First a totally irrelevant comment: The title was so reminiscent of those "Your Body and You" videos they showed when I was in school. :D

Really, I know people will be deceitful and they have been forever. But was it really that much of an issue here? I thought it was a very isolated issue. It does even say if someone edits things. I just didn't think there was that much trouble that would warrant such a drastic measure such as this.

Lex

Reaction score
I completely understand and I agree. But does it really harm more than do good if you can edit only the first post?

Reaction score
We are aware of the genuine need to edit some content, primarily in list and reference threads. It is very unfortunate there is no current way to allow us to manage editing of these threads to deal with these needs satisfactorily. We are trying very hard to understand the needs of these specific threads. There aren't a great number of these, but we know they are important, so we are looking very hard to find a way to deal with them. In the meantime, we may create new forum sections in the category sections just for these types of threads. This will mean the content needs to be in the first post (an unfortunate limitation), but at least it will be editable...
Oh thank you so much!! Sounds good for the refernce threads at least!! I hope for those corrections to be realized very soon! Thank you!

BTW: You thought about the customizing section too?? I still think you can handle these section like the limelight section. These are longtermed threads which "limelights" your custom work!

Thanks for the explanation too!

Wolff

Reaction score
We have also moved the maximum number of characters per post up to 100k and 250 pictures, which though very large, seems to be needed for some of them.
Im not so familiar with html and stuff, so I have a question about the limitation of the pictures:

Is it possible to only "show" 250 images or does this include links to pictures which arent shown directly in the thread??

Ill give an example: In my case I uploaded the thumbnails here on RS, which are shown in the post! The thumbnails are linked to a picture from another hoster (because of the resolution needed). So does this count as 2 pictures or just one???

Thank you!

Reaction score
100k character on a post?! That's insane! Never bumped into any of those.
for the record: I am near 5K (4777 to be specific) and when its finished I will have 134 pictures in it (more then 100 linked).

So Im far away from the limitations (if linked pictures dont count).

But if you have a look at this reference guide (and I think of the need now that SydSwans have to put all his stuff into the first post) he will easily be far over the top with his pictures:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?1021174-Star-Wars-Toy-contents-Guide-PIC-HEAVY
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?1021174-Star-Wars-Toy-contents-Guide-PIC-HEAVY/page4

Roughly counted this is about 1200 pictures! A huge problem IMO for this specific and very important thread!
Maybe stickys can be handled different too??

In general: A lot of sections have stickys with lists above: thread index, websources etc.
I think the same goes for these threads: editing the first post is very important to these, no matter in which section!

Last edited:

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Im not so familiar with html and stuff, so I have a question about the limitation of the pictures:

Is it possible to only "show" 250 images or does this include links to pictures which arent shown directly in the thread??

Ill give an example: In my case I uploaded the thumbnails here on RS, which are shown in the post! The thumbnails are linked to a picture from another hoster (because of the resolution needed). So does this count as 2 pictures or just one???

Thank you!
Linked pictures only count toward the character limit. (so far as I know). We'll check but I believe only pictures displaying with the "img" tag count toward the 250, and that's per post, not per thread. If it's an issue, we can raise the number.

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
In general: A lot of sections have stickys with lists above: thread index, websources etc.
I think the same goes for these threads: editing the first post is very important to these, no matter in which section!
Agreed. This is where we have the current limitation, but we're aware and working on it.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
Thanks Philip for coming here and explaining the reasoning behind this new policy. I think most of the concern has been a lack of a reason given for this as an answer of "It's the new policy and it's not up for discussion" doesn't sit well. I think the reason you give is most definitely a valid one as I have seen many posts deleted that should have remained. I know there are bugs to be worked out regarding who, what, when and where editing of posts will be allowed but I am sure a happy medium will be reached. But remember, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Mike

Reaction score
Any news on this??

I still think making the first post editable in all section wouldnt do harm to history and solve the problem in the most easiest way! I mean how many first posts where deleted to "change history" in the last 2 years?? My guess would be far below 1%....but I honestly have no clue!

Reaction score
Fundamentally, a forum that can have its content edited and changed is not the record of posting that I wish to continue. I'm not in favor of having the ability to change history.
Thanks Philip. I figured it was probably a policy issue rather than a technical one. I appreciate you taking the time to explain, and though I find the new editing limitations inconvenient, I respect your reason for the new rules.

Leif

Reaction score

This means in general posting, if you don't mean to say it, you shouldn't. If you mean to say it, you should think about it before you write it and you should write it well. If you are concerned about spelling, grammar or other mistakes, you should take advantage of the two days you have to edit your posts, or possibly think about it more as you actually write it.

Hi Philip. I understand your interest in preserving posts as they were created within that two day window... but I just realized that there's a problem. The new no edit rules could actually work against that goal in some cases. Suppose I am commenting in someone else's thread, so my post isn't the first in the thread, and I have something historically significant to contribute. This is a pretty common scenario. I create my post and include some pictures that are essential to the value of the post. Say something like this...

I found that the first shot AT-ST driver pistol has some sculpt differences compared to production version of the same pistol. Check the picture:

Lets say a month goes by and I can no longer edit the post. Then I accidentally delete the wrong image from my photos, or reorganize my photos and move it to a new album.

I found that the first shot AT-ST driver pistol has some sculpt differences compared to production version of the same pistol. Check the picture:

The post then loses part of its significance, and there's no way for me to fix it.

This could be potentially more of an issue after the server move. I noticed that many of my early photos are missing, and didn't appear to get transfered over. I might be able to locate some and reload them, but the threads these photos appear in would be uneditable to me, and so they are likely now all imageless. I wouldn't be able to go through them and re-link the picture's new URLs.

Leif

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can only think of one person that went back and removed all his posts in the vintage section and that was Joe (sw3packs) I don't know the reason for that and sure it sucks when you read old threads and have no idea where the conversation is going because someone deleted their post but was this problem really that big of a deal within the other sections of RS? Enough to come up with this rule?

No doubt some people did use the edit feature to their advantage but on the flip side that's why members have access to a quote button, we can quote unedited posts before people have a chance to change them and usually that is what happens when someone posts something that could later be edited to withhold information or change the outcome of a thread to better suit them (thinking along the lines of "watch out" threads where it can become a he said she said slang match between members trying to resolve an issue)

There seems to be a lot of cons and not a lot of pros to all this from my point of view.

Reaction score
I wonder how many posts were reported to the mods as inappropriate then the poster edited the offending post before the mod was able to see it and thus couldnt really do anything about it?

Reaction score
I wonder how many posts were reported to the mods as inappropriate then the poster edited the offending post before the mod was able to see it and thus couldnt really do anything about it?
i'm pretty sure that the mod received an email that included the original offensive post, not sure how the new board works.

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Any news or developments in terms of what is planned to allow us to edit posts?

I have had an ongoing 'WTB/WTT' list in my Feedback thread which I have managed for years now. It's definitely something I hope I can continue to utilize.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's a thread I've been working on for some time now, documenting 'Supersnipe', the comic art gallery that George Lucas co-owned in the mid-late 1970's. We have some excellent commentary and pictures in the thread, and I think it deserves to be preserved for future collectors. I have a number of threads like this here, covering a variety of SW collecting interests.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1059123/

Yet, I can't edit the first post. I can't fix broken picture links, or correct coded tags that have changed since the move to a new format. To be honest, my desire to work toward sharing & preserving this sort of information here on RS is waning due to the lack of flexibility in the new editing rules. There are only a relatively few members who currently see Rebelscum Forums as a place to collect, document, and share important historical information like this. I think its a real shame that we've essentially lost the ability to engage in one of the more noble aspects of SW collecting here on the RS forums. I guess I'm going to have find someplace else to engage in documenting SW collecting related information.

Leif

Reaction score
I have read and understood (I think) the new rules.

As mentioned previously, though now edited, I am not in favour of these.

But, rules are rules, so they will have been considered before introduction.
I am prepared to follow them if that is what has been decided.

However, I will certainly change the way I use Rebelscum.
I just don't see it as in any way beneficial to continuous discussion threads.

- Graham

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its been three weeks now, since we heard you are working on a solution. Any news? Any plans?

Please let us know.

Thanks a lot!

Wolff
who really wants to edit his reference thread.

Reaction score
Sorry for chiming in late. I have to add to the crowd that doesn't like the inability to change posts. I just started posting in the "Customizing" forum again and I want to add new works to an existing thread that's more than a couple days old and I can't. I think the custom forums should be an exception to this rule since I don't want to have to repost everything in a new thread to keep a body of work together resulting in multiple threads with the same works that just have a few more added pictures to each additional thread. It's not a fun or convenient way to maintain bodies of work.

Reaction score
Ill bump this!

Guys, seriously: Please make the first posts editable (like in the vintage limelight section) for:

- Customizing area!
- Vintage chat (Reference threads)

Thanks

Reaction score
I agree about customizing so I changed that one to make the first post editable, however the "vintage chat" isn't a forum, it's just a single thread and I can't allow it to be editable without making the whole forum first-post editable which I don't want to do.

Reaction score
Thanks for the change on the customs section! However, would it also be possible to change it so that the thread title can be edited, as well? That way, the date can be changed on works in progress to show that it's been updated.

Reaction score
I agree about customizing so I changed that one to make the first post editable, however the "vintage chat" isn't a forum, it's just a single thread and I can't allow it to be editable without making the whole forum first-post editable which I don't want to do.
First of all:

Thank you!!! But I cannot edit my thread in "custom dioramas" section...am I blind????

Second: I would appreciate also a changeable threadtitle as rogue1 said.....so its possible to change the date in title when it was updated!

Third: I am very sorry....with "vintage chat" I ment the whole "vintage: toys" section. There is so many reference threads that need to be updated!

Best

and thanks for hearing me

Wolff

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm wondering if users' profile pages can be set to default to About Me rather than Visitor Messages? I'd like to enable messages, but it makes more sense to me for people to see my bio when they click my link, rather than "shout outs". LOL No big deal of course, but if it can be set that way, would someone mind setting it? Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Being someone who edits things very, very sparingly - is there a way where the limelighting areas can be editable for the member who started their limelight thread? For me, it just seems simple to keep all the updates on 1 or 2 pages and edit those as need be rather than updates throughout the thread as it grows from page to page. No big deal, just curious?

Reaction score
I just wish i could delete some of my photos as I got stuff I no longer want.
In the RS Photo Gallery? You can. But as far as I know, you have to do it individually, photo by photo by photo... :| Unless you want to delete an entire album of photos.

Go to the photo you want to delete in your album; on the top right of your screen there's a drop-down next to "Photo Options"; select "Edit Photo"; check the box that cautions you "CAREFUL - once it's gone it's gone"; hit "Submit changes".

Reaction score
In the RS Photo Gallery? You can. But as far as I know, you have to do it individually, photo by photo by photo... :| Unless you want to delete an entire album of photos.

Go to the photo you want to delete in your album; on the top right of your screen there's a drop-down next to "Photo Options"; select "Edit Photo"; check the box that cautions you "CAREFUL - once it's gone it's gone"; hit "Submit changes".
he means he wants to edit a post that he has some pics in of stuff he's selling/trading, he wants to take out pics of stuff that is sold.

Reaction score
Unrelated to editing limitations but all the other threads are locked..

The notification text and the inbox text have changed colour on me which makes it incredibly hard to spot if you actually have a notification of a message or anything.

If I click on the notification box I can only see "inbox" if I highlight it, the text is apparently white.

Any ideas?

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The notification text and the inbox text have changed colour on me which makes it incredibly hard to spot if you actually have a notification of a message or anything.

If I click on the notification box I can only see "inbox" if I highlight it, the text is apparently white.

Any ideas?
We are aware of this and it's being worked on.

Reaction score

Any ideas?
This happened to me too:

Reaction score
Thanks Chris!
It's a stylesheet thing but it didn't happen in our "sandbox" when upgrading to 4.1.11 so I don't know why it happened in the "production" environment. As Chris said, it's being looked at so hang in there.