Possibility of ESB or ROTJ UCS MF

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked before, but with the release of The Force Awakens soon, do you think the chances of seeing an UCS MF from the Original Trilogy are next to Zero? Even if they decided to release a Force Awakens Version I wouldn't want to buy it.. The UCS MF prices on ebay are literally identical to Master Replicas Studio Scale replica.. I just cannot believe.. this lego thing is CRAZY and I don't think anyone saw this coming...

Reaction score
Agreed, nil chance of seeing a UCS Falcon regardless OT or TFA. That's why the UCS Falcon prices are so ridiculous. I honestly don't think the UCS Falcon was all that great of a seller, because I got mine at a clearance price. I was still in my LEGO Dark Ages not playing with LEGO, but I saw the LEGO UCS Falcon posted on a web-bargains-type site, and still being a rabid consumer and Star Wars fan, blew my income tax refund on it. It's still in the brown cardboard shipper box, waiting for the day I die to be sold to be paid for my funeral.

I've since come out of my LEGO Dark Ages, and made this little Falcon:

The one on the right is what LEGO was giving away at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2015. The one on the right is my own creation. I'll sell it to you. Ten thousand, all in advance. :) Just kidding, it's not really for sale.

Reaction score
looks very nice :) I could buy it for 10,000 republic credits? :)

Agreed, nil chance of seeing a UCS Falcon regardless OT or TFA. That's why the UCS Falcon prices are so ridiculous. I honestly don't think the UCS Falcon was all that great of a seller, because I got mine at a clearance price. I was still in my LEGO Dark Ages not playing with LEGO, but I saw the LEGO UCS Falcon posted on a web-bargains-type site, and still being a rabid consumer and Star Wars fan, blew my income tax refund on it. It's still in the brown cardboard shipper box, waiting for the day I die to be sold to be paid for my funeral.

I've since come out of my LEGO Dark Ages, and made this little Falcon:

The one on the right is what LEGO was giving away at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2015. The one on the right is my own creation. I'll sell it to you. Ten thousand, all in advance. :) Just kidding, it's not really for sale.

Reaction score
How about an XP-38 Land Speeder plus credits? I had an XP-34, but the ownership experience was hell. Turns out some massively wanted criminal was wanted by the Empire, and he used to own an XP-34, so Stormtroopers would hassle every XP-34 on the street.

But back on topic, agreed, the LEGO thing is absolutely crazy. I'm a LEGO fan, AFOL, go to LUG meetings and LEGO events, but I'm astounded at the hype. On the market today, there's the DeAgnostini Falcon. It's expensive, but you do not have to be a master modeler to put it together, no painting required (it helps the looks, though). It's one of the most accessible ways to re-create a studio model. How is a LEGO model of the Falcon selling on the market for more than the DeAgnostini?

Maybe it's like a "Mt. Everest climb" appeal, a personal challenge conquered? I have to admit, I have some things in my collection, that aren't my favorite things, but they were such a big personal investment in time, money, and effort that I won't let them go at a reasonable price without a huge premium tacked on top of a fair asking price.

If you really want a LEGO UCS Falcon, there are several stories on Eurobricks of folks successfully Bricklinking the model with pieces that are close enough. Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

Reaction score
If you really want a LEGO UCS Falcon, there are several stories on Eurobricks of folks successfully Bricklinking the model with pieces that are close enough. Good luck, and may the Force be with you.
Unless you're a purist and then one would argue if you make substitutions to save money, you don't have a UCS falcon anyway, you have some of the parts that make a UCS falcon and some parts that don't.

If you're going to make substitutions, then just buy a 7965 and think of it as a LOT OF SUBSTITUTIONS.

Reaction score
Unless you're a purist and then one would argue if you make substitutions to save money, you don't have a UCS falcon anyway, you have some of the parts that make a UCS falcon and some parts that don't.

If you're going to make substitutions, then just buy a 7965 and think of it as a LOT OF SUBSTITUTIONS.
A purist wouldn't want to bricklink their set piece by piece anyway...that's not the same as buying a 10179 as was sold by Lego.

Last edited:
Reaction score
my main concern is this:

When you buy a Master Replicas Millennium Falcon replica you pay around 3-4K (sometimes less if you are lucky, I have seen them go for LESS than a Lego set) to get something professionally painted and weathered, with working lights, etc..
The LEGO set is made of ABS. ABS - by nature of material - will EVENTUALLY fade to a yellowish shade even if you keep it in the dark all the time.. color deformation is not only caused by exposure to direct sunlight.. and ABS will change color no matter what..
I have a hard time understanding the investment there.. don't get me wrong.. I would LOVE to get the set if I could afford it.. because to be able to construct the falcon from simple bricks is the magic itself.. but I cannot/will not justify spending over 2K for something that will deteriorate in time...

Reaction score
my main concern is this:

When you buy a Master Replicas Millennium Falcon replica you pay around 3-4K (sometimes less if you are lucky, I have seen them go for LESS than a Lego set) to get something professionally painted and weathered, with working lights, etc..
The LEGO set is made of ABS. ABS - by nature of material - will EVENTUALLY fade to a yellowish shade even if you keep it in the dark all the time.. color deformation is not only caused by exposure to direct sunlight.. and ABS will change color no matter what..
I have a hard time understanding the investment there.. don't get me wrong.. I would LOVE to get the set if I could afford it.. because to be able to construct the falcon from simple bricks is the magic itself.. but I cannot/will not justify spending over 2K for something that will deteriorate in time...

If you are thinking of it as an investment, at this point, this is probably not what you are looking for...and if it has to be, then you never take it out of the box.

Lego ages fairly well, sure, everything deteriorates over time. What do you think the master replicas falcon is made of?...I just looked it up....abs plastic and resin. I'd be more worried about paint fading than a solid color abs piece. But you are right in that it won't be as crisp and bright 20 or 30 years down the line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nothing could ever be ruled out on this set being brought out again. How it sold before would have nothing to do with any of it. At one point I do expect to see this set again in one form or another. Cloud city on the other hand!? That's another story! :)

Reaction score
I disagree that how something sells before doesn't affect or is used to predict how it will sell now or in the future. Yes, all these goods are like any commodity, their value goes up and down, past performance doesn't guarantee future returns, yadda, yadda, yadda, but LEGO does intensive market research to predict sales performance. You can bet they are looking at trends in awareness (and buying) to predict how a product will sell. That's why freakin' Batman is in every DC Superheroes set, to ensure (insure?) sales.

If you consider the logistics of putting together a set from the LEGO company point-of-view: There are product and project managers vying for production time on the LEGO assembly lines, which are tightly scheduled. When something like the UCS Falcon, the 2nd largest LEGO set ever, comes down the pipe, it's a juggernaut, affecting a lot of people and their projects and product lines. It's a big deal. That's why it's not done very often, and in the case of the UCS Falcon, probably never again.

In the history of LEGO, there have only been about two-handfuls of straight re-releases. There have been numerous re-makes of iconic Star Wars ships, but never a straight re-release (correct me if I'm wrong). Possibility of ESB or ROTJ UCS Falcon? zero-point-zero percent. Possibility of new trilogy Falcon? 0.001% (IMHO). If the Falcon even survives the first movie...I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, but I've read a few things...

Reaction score
Actually just last year-(still on shelves) the Star Destroyer and the AT-AT were exactly the same builds-(Minus slight figure change) as before. That had never been done before. Meaning there is no research time. Hit the button and they are on the way. Saving them tons of money. Also we are heading in a direction of a Star Wars movie almost every year in the theater. History will have no factor.

Reaction score
Actually just last year-(still on shelves) the Star Destroyer and the AT-AT were exactly the same builds-(Minus slight figure change) as before. That had never been done before.
Why do you think that? The at-at and ISD are not "exactly the same builds". Actually the ISD is a completely different model. The interior structure is completely different, the length/ size is different, heck you could fit a minifig in the bridge of the 2006 version. The at-at is close enough to being the same to make me not buy it but there are differences in the build.

Also, Lego has re-released the exact same model a few times. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is one of the early x-wings was rereleased exactly as it was before...I just checked, it was released in 99 and then 2002. I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed was the set # on the box. I know there were some others like that but I can't remember at the moment. Somone else will probably come up with 1 or 2 more...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know that the idea of re-releases deters Lego at all, particularly when the re-release isn't really a re-release, but is instead a (significant) update. They've already redone the UCS X-Wing. The builds are quite a bit different, but nonetheless one could argue this was a re-release. The ISD and AT-AT mentioned also fall in this category of re-release, with the ISD being a lot more altered from 6211 than the AT-AT is from its last incarnation. But Lego will also do re-releases that are almost unchanged, and I would reference the current Winter Village Toy Shop as an example. I would be curious to know if the fan response to a re-release in a very collectible line (Winter Village) would affect Lego's thought process of doing another very similar re-release in another very collectible line, like Star Wars.

IMO, the biggest argument against Lego ever re-releasing a UCS Falcon is price. Since the UCS Falcon was originally released, I don't think we've seen a set with a RRP greater than $400. And truthfully, with the exception of 10188, the ceiling seems to be $350. And 10188 was released so long ago, I think we can say that since 2009 there have been no sets released with a RRP greater than $350. This has to be a conscious decision on the part of TLG. Heck, we're even getting a Ghostbusters HQ, with 4600+ pieces, for $350. I'm certain Lego could have asked $400 on that set, but they're still coming in at $350. Admittedly, the $350 price tag puts the price per part ratio on par with other modular sets, but given the licensed nature, I think Lego could have gotten away with asking $400. So it really seems to me that $350 is the ceiling for sets these days. Add to that the fact that 10179 would probably cost $600+ at retail in today's market, and I just don't see a UCS Falcon happening again.

If they did release a new UCS Falcon, I'm afraid the part count would be so decreased from 10179 that it would be seen as a big step backwards from the original. I would also expect a pre-order like they did for 10179, particularly if the new UCS Falcon is anywhere close to the piece count or price of the original.

Reaction score
Why is this true? I mean if put together with IDENTICAL pieces and the stickers etc, what difference would it make? from a purist's point of view? The box?
To me this sounds like nit picking...but this is what we are talking about as far as being a purist.
A purist would want the set as produced by Lego. Preferably unopened with the box and interior baggies like you mentioned.
Brick linked pieces might have an ever so slight difference in color/ uniformity or a difference in clutch power etc.

It is like saying a red 2x4 from the 80's is the same as a red 2 x4 from 2015. I think most Afols understand that is not the same. The new one will likely be crisper and brighter looking. Also, most pieces from the 80s had a much greater (very noticeable) clutch power difference.

i don't consider myself a purist but I admit that I tend to turn my nose up a little bit at those sets that, I'm sure we have all seen if you have been to a Lego convention, are being sold as complete but are basically brick linked sets with instruction that come in some sort of sealed bag that have been pieced together.

Reaction score
Actually what you write makes total sense.. ABS dicolours whether you want it or not.. So a new set would LOOK different visually and it justifies the purist's point of view.. I will never have the bucks for a new set and even if I did, I would spend it on an MR MF for sure!

To me this sounds like nit picking...but this is what we are talking about as far as being a purist.
A purist would want the set as produced by Lego. Preferably unopened with the box and interior baggies like you mentioned.
Brick linked pieces might have an ever so slight difference in color/ uniformity or a difference in clutch power etc.

It is like saying a red 2x4 from the 80's is the same as a red 2 x4 from 2015. I think most Afols understand that is not the same. The new one will likely be crisper and brighter looking. Also, most pieces from the 80s had a much greater (very noticeable) clutch power difference.

i don't consider myself a purist but I admit that I tend to turn my nose up a little bit at those sets that, I'm sure we have all seen if you have been to a Lego convention, are being sold as complete but are basically brick linked sets with instruction that come in some sort of sealed bag that have been pieced together.