Porg - Interactive

Reaction score
Nice....now let's wait and see if their sounds are worthy of the likes of 'utinni' and 'aiyeehah'. :)

Reaction score
Just not digging the porg design at all. If they're kept for food like chickens, fine. But if their supposed to be a pivotal character. IDK...

Reaction score
If they're being written in as some kind of non-sentient, Force sensitive/wielding beings, wouldn't that open up another couple of threads! We'll see....

Reaction score
Not digging them. Btw the bb8/snoke playset images are hitting. Makes me want an SA snoke but will not shell out for 5poa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Just not digging the porg design at all. If they're kept for food like chickens, fine. But if their supposed to be a pivotal character. IDK...

The Porg really makes me worried. I'm not liking the design either. I feel like Rey is going to throw out a Pokeball and try to catch one. Oh no! Wild Sith Lord appears! Porg! I chose YOU!

I don't have a problem with marketing films. Blockbusters aren't just for the art, sadly often the art is one of the least important aspects, but they're also for business. I get it. When I start having an issue is when a character or whatever in SW is explicitly designed first for marketing...and servicing the story takes second chair. I think that's clearly the essence of what the Porg is. Disney said "We need something to make millions off of toys with!" So enters: the Porg!

I am hoping they have a very limited amount of screen time. I also kind of take issue with this apparently dark, broodingly grumpy, and depressed Luke Skywalker...being surrounded by pokemon. Kind of a clash of atmosphere, right there. Mix of emotions. Oil and water.

This creature just reminds me of the blatant commercial marketing of TPM and Ewoks, where you could just tell...this is a walking advertisement.

Reaction score
I am hoping they have a very limited amount of screen time. I also kind of take issue with this apparently dark, broodingly grumpy, and depressed Luke Skywalker...being surrounded by pokemon. Kind of a clash of atmosphere, right there. Mix of emotions. Oil and water.
Looks like there is screen time between them and Chewbacca, but remember Chewie's just lost his lifelong friend. I realize Chewie's had time to brood and grief since D'Qar, but you've gotta wonder if this kind of shift in mood is somehow intentional in lieu of the coming Solo movie.

Reaction score
Looks like there is screen time between them and Chewbacca, but remember Chewie's just lost his lifelong friend. I realize Chewie's had time to brood and grief since D'Qar, but you've gotta wonder if this kind of shift in mood is somehow intentional in lieu of the coming Solo movie.
I did catch that photo too, I want to say I saw somewhere that a Chewbacca figure was packed with one too. I think! See...eeeeh! That makes me worried. The honestly do remind me of pokemon. But I also want to say I heard somewhere or read somewhere that Chewbacca doesn't like them. They annoy him. But maybe I dreamed that up because I can't site a source for it. My worry is that one becomes a pet on the Falcon.

I mean...I'm being very negative here. It's all in how it's done really. For all I really know, I'll love them. But initial impressions make me think Ewoks and Jar Jar all over again. My thing is, wasn't BB8 cute enough? And he can do both serious scenes and comical. It's hard for me to imagine a Porg in a serious scenario.

Reaction score
Personally, I have enough faith in Rian Johnson that he will not go overboard in regards to the Porg. If it were JJ I would be worried, but Johnson is on a completely different level than Abrams.

Sent from my LG-D725 using Tapatalk

GNT

Reaction score
I'm going call and say these Porg things are going to be extremely popular and this toy is going to be snatched up quickly by everyone once the movie gets released. This years XMAS present.

Reaction score
I'm going call and say these Porg things are going to be extremely popular and this toy is going to be snatched up quickly by everyone once the movie gets released. This years XMAS present.
Retribution I would say from TPTB that currently helm Star Wars.....they're hoping to shove Porg sales figures in front of Lucas to subvert his obsession with Jar Jar. :)

Reaction score
Porgs are the key to all of this..

Honestly they're alright if they just appear in a couple scenes but seeing that the Chewie figure comes with one makes me feel like there's something more to them story wise.

Reaction score

I'll take that bet. I'm thinking jus the exact opposite!

Reaction score
I'll invoke that cartoon pasted at ILM that was seen in the "From Star Wars To Jedi" documentary with a Porg standing in place of Phil Tippett's sculpted head, "Do You Think George Will Approve?" ;)

Reaction score
This is the only thing that my daughter wants from Force Friday this time (She used to collect the 3.75" line...) so the marketing side is working on her for sure. Anyone know a price as of yet?

Reaction score
Honestly they're alright if they just appear in a couple scenes but seeing that the Chewie figure comes with one makes me feel like there's something more to them story wise.
Hope so. They look far more interesting than pretty much anything else at the moment.

Reaction score
And there's that other photo of Chewie floating around that could suddenly switch the scene mood from 'aww' to shocking. Prepare for a possible Shrek moment.

Reaction score
This is the only thing that my daughter wants from Force Friday this time (She used to collect the 3.75" line...) so the marketing side is working on her for sure. Anyone know a price as of yet?
My local Kmart has the shelf tag for it. MSRP is about $42.99

Reaction score
Kmart has slightly inflated prices but yeah.... Im sure it'll be overproduced and clearanced within a few months.

Reaction score

That would be Disney marketing! With the push on $$$$$$$$$$

Reaction score
If you thought Jar Jar was bad... seriously, I wasn't pumped up for the TLJ after TFA, but this kind of stuff really makes me doubt the Lucasfilm to Disney move.
Is anybody else Star Wars tired, and especially merchandise? Everywhere you go, in every store there is at least something Star Wars around... drives me nut. I would love to go back to the early 90s, where the only way you could find star wars was a comic book store, garage sale. Maybe I'm getting old :) But I see my stores full of crap Star Wars. Many different scales of figures, from miniature to superlarge (who collects Jakk's size, what place do you need???), Star Wars on every possible game/food/bathroom stuff...

Reaction score
If you thought Jar Jar was bad... seriously, I wasn't pumped up for the TLJ after TFA, but this kind of stuff really makes me doubt the Lucasfilm to Disney move.
Is anybody else Star Wars tired, and especially merchandise? Everywhere you go, in every store there is at least something Star Wars around... drives me nut. I would love to go back to the early 90s, where the only way you could find star wars was a comic book store, garage sale. Maybe I'm getting old :) But I see my stores full of crap Star Wars. Many different scales of figures, from miniature to superlarge (who collects Jakk's size, what place do you need???), Star Wars on every possible game/food/bathroom stuff...
I liked TFA, but yeah I agree especially on the Porg. I mean, there's cutesy animals in our own nature, so it stand an argument not everything in the SW universe is going to look like Weequay. But the thing just screams "Make something we can sell a plush of."

I do also agree about kind of missing when SW was more of a subculture and it wasn't plastered everywhere. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the pitch on "Star Wars Angry Birds Jenga." That's always been what I've considered the pinnacle of wtf merchandising.

Reaction score
Star Wars has always been marketing and merchandise heavy from pencils to figures to birthday cake Vader pans since the get go. From 77 to 85 star wars merchandise was everywhere and from 95/96 to now star wars merchandise is everywhere. For the better part of 40 years you could buy star wars stuff anywhere.

Reaction score
Is anybody else Star Wars tired, and especially merchandise? Maybe I'm getting old :)...
Sir, sounds like you've developed Grumpy Old Man Syndrome. As someone who survived the Great Star Wars Drought of 1984-1999 (movies) no way am I tired.
Now Super Hero tired........