Poll - Retro SW Figures - Buying or Passing?

Will you be purchasing the Star Wars Retro figures?

• Total voters

GNT

Reaction score

Retro is in lately, as we've seen Hasbro will be releasing vintage figures on vintage style cards (with worn look/sticker) so this is a poll thread to do a little market research to know how the community stands on these figures atm, please let us know if your purchasing these figures? being selective or simply not purchasing any?

Reaction score
Looking forward to buying the whole set, especially looking forward to finally having a Kenner version of Tarkin.

Reaction score
Preordered the set of 6 from Dark Side Toys (UK based small business with excellent service) and will buy Tarkin as soon as he becomes available for preorder in the UK

Reaction score
No interest from me. I appreciate the idea though. It's a solid way to sell to casuals who are into the whole "it's retro so it's cool crowd"

I might buy the Tarkin.

Reaction score
Probably get Han Solo and Darth Vader just to have ones in my collection I didn't have to glue the crappy heads back on. Probably get Tarkin as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been asking for a vintage sculpt Tarkin for a long time so I will be buying him (even though the head sculpt is not very vintage looking imo). If they make more previously unmade characters in this line then I may be interested in those as well. Not interested in reissued characters.

Reaction score
I do like the idea of them and happy to see them released, but personally will be passing on them myself

Reaction score
I'm all over these and purchased from Dark Side Toys in the UK .. I'm a vintage collector but want to see the whole range out plus creatures and vehicles and all the extra stuff never produced .. about time there was something decent available .. and for all the naysaying and gnashing of teeth, I'm forecasting that this will be the range to watch moving forward.

Reaction score
I'm all over these and purchased from Dark Side Toys in the UK .. I'm a vintage collector but want to see the whole range out plus creatures and vehicles and all the extra stuff never produced .. about time there was something decent available .. and for all the naysaying and gnashing of teeth, I'm forecasting that this will be the range to watch moving forward.
The market is going crazy for retro stuff right now, so they're definitely onto a winner I reckon'

Reaction score
Buying. I've been waiting for an affordable pristine condition farmboy Luke for ages now.

Reaction score
Yes, definitely the first wave and the Tarkin/board game. After that I will probably be selective.

These retros remind me of the first Marvel Legends series. They will probably continue on with this for a long time if it does well.

Reaction score
Not buying, but if it helps the Hasbro SW line in general, then that's fine with me.

Reaction score
Wow so many people hate the line... And those that do are divided into 2 camps...those who think this will hurt the value of their collections and those that think that a superior toy is here why go back. This is absolute magic to those of us old enough to remember going to the stores to get them when we were kids. These were the best that was available, and the thing that started it all. Don't hate on your Grandpappy.

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the “copies”, but I will get any new sculpts like Tarkin (assuming I find them at retail).

Reaction score
Wow so many people hate the line... And those that do are divided into 2 camps...those who think this will hurt the value of their collections and those that think that a superior toy is here why go back. This is absolute magic to those of us old enough to remember going to the stores to get them when we were kids. These were the best that was available, and the thing that started it all. Don't hate on your Grandpappy.
Considering the pre-orders sold out swiftly, I don't think the hate is really there in any significant numbers. Its often just a vocal minority from the Kenner-only crowd or the 5 POA haters. Hasbro doesn't need sales from either of those groups for the line to be a huge success though.

For me, I will be selective for sure. After all these years of collecting, I don't have the "gotta have em all" drive anymore.

Reaction score
No interest at all. I want the real deal when it comes to vintage not another gimmick.

Reaction score
Since I'm not an original Vintage collector, I could care less if these new "retro" figures make the original Vintage figures less desirable and/or makes them go down in price (though I don't think that will happen).

However, my main complaint against these new Vintage/retro figures is that their production is going to take shelf-space & the time/effort/money spent on making these away from lines that I would like to see more attention paid to, i.e. the 3.75" TVC & the 3.75" TBS. These lines seem to be diminishing each year anyway, and now with all of the attention & time paid to these retro figures, they're going to be put on the back-burner even more so than they have in the past.

Reaction score
Since I'm not an original Vintage collector, I could care less if these new "retro" figures make the original Vintage figures less desirable and/or makes them go down in price (though I don't think that will happen).

However, my main complaint against these new Vintage/retro figures is that their production is going to take shelf-space & the time/effort/money spent on making these away from lines that I would like to see more attention paid to, i.e. the 3.75" TVC & the 3.75" TBS. These lines seem to be diminishing each year anyway, and now with all of the attention & time paid to these retro figures, they're going to be put on the back-burner even more so than they have in the past.
Well said and I feel the same way.
W

Reaction score
I am going to be selective on these. I am on for Tarkin though even the board game. I did kind of wish Hasbro went with The cardboard Desth Star though as someone on here pointed out.

Reaction score

I wouldn't be too concerned about shelf space. These are only at Target and I honestly would not be surprised if they were stocked over near the other retro/Funko/pop culture stuff over in the media department as opposed to the proper Star Wars section. That section has an overhead banner that says "Star Wars" with no Star Wars items.

Taking away away resources for other lines? Did you not see the stellar VC products that were just announced along side these Retro figures?

Reaction score
I think years ago I would've been excited by this line but now I'm getting selective. I'll probably pick up two for the nostalgia but won't buy the set.

Reaction score
Taking away away resources for other lines? Did you not see the stellar VC products that were just announced along side these Retro figures?
I did see the new TVC products, but the selection was pi$$-poor & minimal - extremely underwhelming & unimpressive. Which just proves my point even more: TVC 3.75" line is getting more and more minimal each year, and I would have preferred more attention be paid to this line (and the 3.75" TBS line) than this new, overrated retro line. The retro line is just reissuing 40+ year old figures - which didn't look that great even on their original release.

Last edited:
Reaction score
These figures will not warm pegs. They will sell out. People might not be ecstatic about them but most longtime collectors have always dreamed of a chance to have pristine set of the vintage figures loose and carded. Once they get on to the POTF figures, more and more will jump on and if they were to do the DROIDS figures and the unreleased ones, lots of collectors would really be excited.

Reaction score
I won't be getting these. I am susceptible to nostalgia but I find I like the concept of retro figures more than the actual execution. I have a few. I have Snake Plissken, Travis Bickle, and an Alien, and they're fine. But I think these kinds of figures can be really hit or miss, and when it comes down to it you're kind of buying an inferior product.

When it comes to Star Wars, I'm old enough to have gotten these when they were new in 1978, and I still have them. I've been collecting action figures for over 40 years and I've enjoyed seeing the technology progress to the point where we can now get really, really well-made figures. I have no real interest in buying the same figures I (well, technically my parents) bought when I was three years old. I mean, we had a rotary phone back then as well, but I wouldn't want one of them now either.

Reaction score
People seem to foget the scale is slightly different. These will look better on the pegs than what's there now...NOTHING

Last edited:
Reaction score
But I think these kinds of figures can be really hit or miss, and when it comes down to it you're kind of buying an inferior product.

When it comes to Star Wars, I'm old enough to have gotten these when they were new in 1978, and I still have them. I've been collecting action figures for over 40 years and I've enjoyed seeing the technology progress to the point where we can now get really, really well-made figures. I have no real interest in buying the same figures I (well, technically my parents) bought when I was three years old. I mean, we had a rotary phone back then as well, but I wouldn't want one of them now either.
Yes, I also got many of these when they were released back in the late '70's. I have no need or desire to re-purchase these either. I agree about the rotary phone analogy, and will make another one: The late '70's/early '80's were the early days of expensive, crummy VCR's & bulky VHS tapes with sub-par Picture quality, need to re-wind, etc. And, with current advances re: DVD's/Blu-ray's, and of course streaming - I (and I'm sure many others) have no desire to go back to the days of antiquated VCR's and VHS tapes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I appreciate the original toy line, but it was before my time. By the time I got into Star Wars as a little kid it was the time of the original POTF and Ewoks cartoon, so the classic vintage stuff doesn't do anything for me nostalgically.
That being said, if they do some cool characters that have never been done before, I might be tempted to pick them up. Time will tell I guess.

Reaction score
These figures will not warm pegs. They will sell out. People might not be ecstatic about them but most longtime collectors have always dreamed of a chance to have pristine set of the vintage figures loose and carded. Once they get on to the POTF figures, more and more will jump on and if they were to do the DROIDS figures and the unreleased ones, lots of collectors would really be excited.
It would be interesting to see the age of the non-purchasers vs. collectors who were fans back in the 70's ..

Reaction score
I can speak for those of us who waited for them to initially be released, send in proofs for not unavailable in store figures etc... Its a niche market that had been ignored. As long as they keep releasing TVC versions as well everyone will be happy. I have to admit the memories these drum up far exceed the quality of the figures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a ol' school vintage collector, I'm thrilled with these and hope that they will breathe even more life into the vintage collecting community! I personally think the line will be short-lived (maybe the first 12/21) marketing tie-in for Toy Story 2 this summer. I also don't think it will have any impact on secondary market prices for authentic vintage. We've seen Hasbro release modern replicas of vintage items before and it has never had any negative impact on the secondary market. I truly appreciate Hasbro's attention to this by incorporating measures that will prevent any confusion between the Retro line and authentic vintage. I'll probably only buy one Vader to keep carded as a novelty and a Tarkin to FINALLY add to my loose vintage collection!

Reaction score
Yes, I also got many of these when they were released back in the late '70's. I have no need or desire to re-purchase these either. I agree about the rotary phone analogy, and will make another one: The late '70's/early '80's were the early days of expensive, crummy VCR's & bulky VHS tapes with sub-par Picture quality, need to re-wind, etc. And, with current advances re: DVD's/Blu-ray's, and of course streaming - I (and I'm sure many others) have no desire to go back to the days of antiquated VCR's and VHS tapes.
Agreed. The VCR analogy is a good one. I've actually worked in the home video industry for about half my life and I've watched it change drastically during that time. There's a company called Mill Creek that's putting out some 80s/90s titles on Blu-ray but in packaging that resembles the old VHS boxes. They're really well done and they take me back to when I worked in a video store in the 90s. So the nostalgia works on me. But that nostalgia doesn't extend to the technology itself. I love the retro packaging, but I don't actually want to buy VHS tapes anymore. This is one of the reasons I love TVC so much. Even though I'm an opener, I love those vintage cardbacks. They may as well be a time machine for me. But what really matters is that I'm getting a modern, high-quality action figure. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

All that said, I don't want to pee in anyone's cornflakes. For those that like these, go nuts.

Reaction score
Huge agreement there. I do like Chewbacca, Stormtrooper and Vader as well as Tarkin.

As a ol' school vintage collector, I'm thrilled with these and hope that they will breathe even more life into the vintage collecting community! I personally think the line will be short-lived (maybe the first 12/21) marketing tie-in for Toy Story 2 this summer. I also don't think it will have any impact on secondary market prices for authentic vintage. We've seen Hasbro release modern replicas of vintage items before and it has never had any negative impact on the secondary market. I truly appreciate Hasbro's attention to this by incorporating measures that will prevent any confusion between the Retro line and authentic vintage. I'll probably only buy one Vader to keep carded as a novelty and a Tarkin to FINALLY add to my loose vintage collection!

Reaction score
What some of the people will not be able to deny would be a carded Blue Snaggletooth or vinyl caped jawa. Canitna band members.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First thought i could see myself collecting those to display next to their modern TVC counterparts but, on second thought, i will most likely pass. Not that i don't like them but space and budget are the main issues here. Having switched most of my funds to 1/6 collecting when they decided to go the 5 POA route a few years ago, i can't see myself returning full speed on 3.75 scale. Pretty happy with the limited TVC offer and randon wow item they put on the table.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned about shelf space. These are only at Target and I honestly would not be surprised if they were stocked over near the other retro/Funko/pop culture stuff over in the media department as opposed to the proper Star Wars section. That section has an overhead banner that says "Star Wars" with no Star Wars items.

I saw Vedain and more repacks. Will definitely be buying 2 Skiffs and the Jabba's Palace playset, and not trying to poo poo on anyone's parade, but I'm not convinced that 3 3/4" is healthy yet based on what I saw. Certainly a mile beyond what we got in 2018.

As far as these go, it's another subset that I don't personally want, but I can't begrudge those that have wanted them. I'm not sure the giant orange RETRO COLLECTION symbol on the front makes these a good match for the original carded figures, but as a set I can see them being popular. I can see a Chewbacca in my future.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Since these are slightly larger, anyone that actually wants Luke to be short for a stormtrooper needs to buy a bunch of these. Customizers can use them for fodder, and make characters of different heights (Tonnika sisters).

I probably won't ever see these but I may replace by worn out figures and would love a Blue Snaggletooth and caped Jawa (and a few others).