QUESTION Poll: How often do you go toy hunting?

How often do you go toy hunting?

• Total voters

GNT

Reaction score
So here's todays question, the last year has been a crazy time for everyone with Covid19 (and I hope everyone is safe btw) and as a result stores are running low of all kind of merchandise and in some cases it's taking a longer time for product to be re-stocked. So with more limited stock and covid19 around how often do you go hunting for toys and collectables in this day and age? or do you just buy more online these days?

Take the poll below and let us know how your collecting habits are this past year.

Reaction score
I stopped hunting for toys at retail about 3 years ago. I've gotten more patient over the years, so I don't mind waiting. And while I have missed out on the odd figure, the money and time I saved hunting more than justified the rare inflate price eBay purchase.

Reaction score
I always check the aisle if I’m already there, but the only figure I ever found at retail was a Commander Bly, lucky enough! I do all my shopping online.

Reaction score
The only time I check in a store is when I just happen to be there for some other reason.
Same here, it's been a long time since I went specifically hunting for toys. The only exception would be about last September when I knew Walmart had the Ackbar wave in stock. Walmarts are all a good distance from me but even then I turned it into a grocery shopping trip too.

Reaction score
A caveat that my answer is from the pre-pandemic times...but I assume I will return to it in due course.

I said every couple of weeks, because there are a few clusters of discount stores that used to be worth checking out: Burlingtons, Ross, Five Below. And those clusters tend to be near either a GameStop or a Target. Sometimes I'll make a special trip; other times, it's when I happen to be in the area. I would guess I end up checking them out a couple times a month on average, though sometimes it's multiple times in a week and others a long stretch can go before I check in.

In the olden days of functional Brickseek and Popfindr, I would hit up Targets and Walmart...but those seem to be long gone. Alas.

All that said, 90%+ of my stuff comes from online purchases. I just still like the potential thrill of finding something cool on the shelf.

Reaction score
As a person who doesn't own a car, living in a major city, and suffered a leg injury in Dec 2016, I pretty much gave up hunting in the stores after a couple of years of collecting BS6 series figures.
(I joined this forum about 16 months after buying my first figure - Greedo.)

There were the occasional surprises early on, (Walgreens Boba white prototype) but after countless trips to stores with diminishing results, it just made more sense to strictly buy online.

Reaction score
Online only sadly.. Not much choice this side of the pond. Thankfully the top E tailers for collectible action figures like Star Action Figures are a joy to deal with and pack their stuff with genuine care unlike some of the major high street shops

Reaction score
In the glory days of retail toy hunting I'd do throughout the week. Now maybe once a month my girl and I go out hunting in the bigger city an hour away. We live in a small rural town and Walgreens is the only place we got to check in town.

I usually only go if there's something I can verify shows stock on Brickseek or I just want something that's hitting. I hit a couple walmart several times over a week for the Lanard Alien and Predator figures but now I'm done for who knows how long. I don't try and hunt mainline waves, unless it wave one.

Reaction score
I only stop in at stores if I'm out to get something else these days. I do not make special trip just for figure shopping anymore unless I get info that there's a good chance something is in. I have a toy shop about 35 minutes away that I'll go to for fun about once a month. They sell new stuff all way down to vintage. Never know what has come in. Prices are kinda high though, so still do most of my shopping by preorder/online.

Reaction score
If I'm at the store, I look. I don't go specifically to the store unless I'm already going there. I'd say the last time I actually went looking specifically just for a toy was for the second wave of Target Exclusive Joe's....didn't happen. I've since given up on ever finding those. I've pretty much given up on ever finding any figures from Hasbro in stores. McFarlane's DC line is the only line of figures I see get regular restocks these days.

Reaction score
No toy runs since the virus hit. I will sometimes look if we are at Target or Walgreens for a necessity, but now we rarely even do that.

Reaction score
I have a Walmart, Target, and Gamestop all right near each other within a 2-3 minute drive of my house. I can get in and out of all 3 in about 20 minutes. So I check those practically every day. I usually go right after work before I get home, around 3:00ish, which is a good time because there usually aren't many people there at that time. But it's maybe just around 1-2 times a week that I can get to stop at another store.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i dont make a point to go hunting anymore because e v e r y t i m e i go with the sole intention of figure hunting i get skunked. i have a Target that is ~5mi from my house and ive had pretty good luck there when i do put in effort, but other retailers-not a chance. every other week i go grocery re-stocking and ill wander past the aisle to see whats on the pegs but 99% of the time its peg warmers, locally.

Reaction score
It was never any fun here to go toy hunting - too few (if any at all anymore), too far, too expesive - so I buy online - or with the occasional help from one of you guys :) much appreciated btw!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pre 2012 would go out 3-4 times a week because I went out to eat a lot and stores were nearby. Where I lived there were 3 Targets, 2 TRU, 2 KMarts, 2 Walmarts, 2 Meijer, and a smattering of other places to look so I'd hit a few of them each trip depending on where I was going.

Since then... it has dwindled down to nothing. 3.75" articulation is what I was looking for, so even 2015-2019 was dismal for what I was looking for. You can only look at the same empty pegs so many times. If there was ANYTHING out there or even a hint over the last couple years I'd probably go look once in awhile, but no reason to go.

Reaction score
I feel like this thread should be retitled to address how often we go toy hunting for SW figures....because toy hunting in general is not the same as toy hunting for SW figs. One you can actually do and the other is an exercise in futility.

Reaction score
I used to do it at least 2-3 times a week, especially prior to the pandemic. I kinda lost my passion for toy hunting since the stores in the area I live in usually get good stuff but they're always cleaned out in a few days. I really have to be at the right place at the right time, especially with the Star Wars stuff. All I've been seeing recently are Molochs, Jar-Jars, and the occassional Janna.

The last time I got lucky was months ago when I found the Remnant Stormtrooper and Din Djarin.

Reaction score
I wish we could have had the option for "random" on the poll.

I have given up trying to make toy runs, it seems like each time i try for a figure, I waste time and gas, only to be disappointed. So I do look, but only at random. I have to be at the store to even bother to check the toy section.

I have decided going forward, online is the best way and ebay seems to be my preferred spot online.

Reaction score
I go into toysrus (Canada) and Walmart once a week but I never find anything at either of them anymore. So I end up buying online for a bit more. I still like to check the stores just in case but either they don’t restock or I’m just unlucky in the aisles lately.

Reaction score
Normally i go toy hunting 3-4 times a week.. unfortunately due to the pandemic everything is closed here in germany.. so currently this is my
4th month without a single toy hunt !!!😷

Reaction score
I used to go 2-3 times a week up until a couple years ago. Now the answer is NEVER. Between the pandemic and lack of shelved product, the only time I hit the toy aisle is if I’m shopping for groceries and other stuff

Reaction score
I go about once a week. I'm about 30 minutes from a/the proper retail center with a bunch of stores to check. And I almost always piggyback it onto a need for something else. I'm usually eyes open for a couple lines, so that ups my chances of actually finding something 'in store' which is always fun. Albeit more often than not, its as disappointing as you might expect.
But on that run, I can hit two walmarts, target, gamestop, (and BAM and Best Buy if I've got time to kill.)

That said, since lets say, August, assume a minimum of one hunt a week on average, seven months, so about 28 run throughs. I've found and purchased a couple NECA tmnt sets, Marvel Retro Legends 3.75 (one wave). A couple MOTU Origins figures. And probably less than ten SW TBS figures. At the end of the day, probably not worth the time or gas compared to waiting for on-line retail prices. But its somewhat fun and I'm usually in the area for something 'responsible' as well anyway,

Reaction score
I'd like to say online only but if I'm out at Walmart or Target I will always swing by the toy aisle. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I actually went out to hunt.

Reaction score
Honestly, I am tired of picking through scraps, or seeing empty pegs. With POPFINDR no longer seeing assortments, I only go to Walmart at 6 am IF brickseek shows anything. and even that is a crap shoot. Collecting has become a chore more than a hobby, and I am seriously considering leaving the hobby behind once and for all. Even the cases I had preordered from Dorkside before Christmas have not shown up. It was easier collecting Vintage, and I may just go back to strictly that. Scalpers are at an all time high, because mant are out of work, and have the time too. Between Hasbro, Walmart and Target they are really killing the fun factor.

Reaction score
Honestly, I am tired of picking through scraps, or seeing empty pegs. With POPFINDR no longer seeing assortments, I only go to Walmart at 6 am IF brickseek shows anything. and even that is a crap shoot. Collecting has become a chore more than a hobby, and I am seriously considering leaving the hobby behind once and for all. Even the cases I had preordered from Dorkside before Christmas have not shown up. It was easier collecting Vintage, and I may just go back to strictly that. Scalpers are at an all time high, because mant are out of work, and have the time too. Between Hasbro, Walmart and Target they are really killing the fun factor.
I went to strictly vintage somewhere around 2011. Got pulled back in to modern in 2015 with the sequels product, and by 2018 had fallen headfirst down the 1/12 rabbit hole.

But 100% agree with the chore analogy. Most modern stuff once you acquire it, seems to get somewhat forgotten; so you can focus on the next pain in the ass release. Meanwhile the vintage Gobots Bug Bite figure I picked up a few weeks ago has been front and center for me ever since. :D

Reaction score
I hunted pretty much exclusively in b&m stores until around 2014. Then, I became more comfortable with ordering online - but also continued to hunt @ physical stores. Surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly), I find the prices @ b&m better than online - in most cases. One of the b&m exceptions is Gamestop, which really overcharges - their 6" SW figures are $30 retail - WTF?!

What has also curtailed my going to b&m stores in the past several years:

-Not having as much free time as in the past.

-The closing of TRU; though they didn't have much new product in the last couple of years before they closed, they were still a good place for hunting occasionally. I probably went there once every several months. And, since their store was dedicated to toys & had significant/substantial action figure sections - it was pretty much guaranteed that I would find something I wanted there.

- Target & Wal-mart minimizing their toy aisles. They are definitely smaller than they were 7-10 years ago.

-In the past year, not wanting to go out as much due to the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used to check the toy aisles whenever I stopped at Target, but have barely set foot outside in the last year. It's been almost thirteen months since I've been to a store.

Reaction score
Unfortunately long gone are the days of the aisles being half filled with Star Wars stuff like when ROTS came out (glory days)

I don't collect much Hasbro nowadays as it is but I'll check if I'm in a Target or Wal-Mart. Bust most is done online nowadays, just so much easier.

Last time I think I made a toy hunt chase was when my Wal-Mart got the Clone Wars wave.

Reaction score
Being high risk for Covid due to health issues has forced me to buy exclusively online these days. Prior to that the majority of my buying was at retail, though it was challenging throughout 2019 due to poor retail stock.

Reaction score
I go by a Walmart on the way to work so on weekdays, I do stop by there to see if anything got put out.

Reaction score
While my frequency has decreased since COVID, it's pretty much the same - I will look when I'm out for groceries or food, but I'm largely an online/preorder buyer due to the situation Hasbro/retail has pretty much forced us into. For a dedicated run, including my fave local toy store, I tend to go every few weeks, unless the shop has posted a large collection buy being put out or something of that nature.

Reaction score
pre 2017 I lived in Indianapolis and went out almost everyday during my lunch break. I had a quite a few options to hit in a relatively small area. I moved out to Portland, OR in late 2017 and the area where I live is not as easy to access multiple stores, stores were not stocking...etc. At that point I started to go the online route and with the start of the pandemic sw toy hunting has been 0 for me.

Reaction score
With our Covid alert levels bouncing around like they have been in the last month it's been difficult. Day before the last alert jumped to our level 3 out of 4 I was planning to visit a couple of stores but after a hot day at work just crawled home for a cold one instead, kicking myself I didn't go. Going back to level 2 on Monday so might treat myself and see what's out there.

Reaction score
With our Covid alert levels bouncing around like they have been in the last month it's been difficult. Day before the last alert jumped to our level 3 out of 4 I was planning to visit a couple of stores but after a hot day at work just crawled home for a cold one instead, kicking myself I didn't go. Going back to level 2 on Monday so might treat myself and see what's out there.
The news have reported about you guys here. One moment, almost entirely pre-coof state and then one incident and almost complete lock down. Not easy making plans then, or runs for that matter.

Reaction score
The news have reported about you guys here. One moment, almost entirely pre-coof state and then one incident and almost complete lock down. Not easy making plans then, or runs for that matter.
We're actually moving to level 2 tomorrow morning so I might head out and see if I can find the Luke and Han Hoth archive figs. I have the first release Tauntaun and Wampa sets so would be cool to add these guys. Level 2 over here means cafés and restaurants can open with physical distancing in place. My wife is a chef and has found this all pretty hard.

Yeah our contact tracing app seems to work pretty well but as usual humanity has to contend with idiots who don't follow the rules. We've also had people escaping isolation facilities due to poor quality private security contractors and the like. We are very lucky it isn't a lot worse. Vaccine roll out has begun thankfully.

Reaction score
Browse mainly online since the on and off lockdown. Right now we're on our tighest yet, no travelling beyond 2 km unless for medical or work reasons.

Reaction score
I drive right by a Walmart twice a day. So I'm usually stopping 2-3-4 times a week to get "something" my wife asks me to get. I check the toy dept. every time, just in case. MOST of the time I leave empty handed. But once in a while I find something I'm looking for.