Playset ideas

GNT

Reaction score
If Hasbro was suddenly interested in doing playsets for the TFA line, what would you be interested in seeing made?

Utinniii

Reaction score
Maz' Place,
Modular Star destroyer/Star Killer Base, torture/prison, hallways, docking bay. Each piece comes with a unique droid.
I wouldn't mind the 3 packs with a background picture that when joined with other sets could make a large diorama (Jakku market, Starkiller base...

Reaction score
I'd like to see some sort of scavenger playset. Some kind of interior where Rey can drop in on a rope.

Or the crashed AT-AT that she lives in. Or even just the foot sticking out of the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hallway from the freighter where the Rathtars get lose.

Reaction score
BA Kylo Ren shuttle that can fold out into a Starkiller base/trench.

Starkiller mountain fortress

FO Stormtrooper transport. Can fold out into a base

Utinniii

Reaction score
A "Build a Rathtar" would be fun. 3 sets: one for each group in the Mexican Standoff.

Reaction score
Resistance Base with cannons,med bay, briefing room, and x wing loading dock.

Reaction score
Niima Outpost!

Imagine something like this that opened up into 2 semi-circle sections that revealed the play area inside. It would feature Plutt's window, salvage cleaning stations, and a bunch of alcoves. Throw in some large salvage pieces and a couple of exclusive scavengers and we got ourselves a great playset with unlimited display options.

This piece should be included as well...

Reaction score
Hell, I would've been happy if the cardbacks had some sort of printed background on them.

I still don't understand their aversion to playsets. Especially not when Playmates TMNT sets do well. They're certainly happy to load up the shelves with other crap that doesn't move quickly, or at all, though.

Reaction score
I was looking at the cross section book that Del Rey put out for TFA and was looking the First order Transport. According to the picture in the book the pilot is in a standing position in the cockpit. Which would be great for the 5 POA figures. Also have pegs for a few of the Stormtroopers and a gun station.

Reaction score
Something fun. A Starkiller base playset ala the Vintage Deathstar. Firing cannon of some kind, electronic lights and sounds, interrogation room, the works. Something that would rival the TMNT Secret Sewer playset that sold for years.

Or! A FO Star Destroyer. Same kind of stuff, although it'd be packed into a longer and shorter area. Maybe have it like the Micromachines one, where it's a ship that folds out into a playset. Could have room for a TIE fighter, have the bridge area that the officers are on when Finn/Poe escape.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of TVC
I'd like to see some sort of scavenger playset. Some kind of interior where Rey can drop in on a rope.

Or the crashed AT-AT that she lives in. Or even just the foot sticking out of the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hallway from the freighter where the Rathtars get lose.
very much this or a Star Destroyer bridge... for the love of all... the last Star Destroyer set we got was a Vintage ESB era... event POTF2 got a DS Chasm and Detention block, Endor bunker and Carbon freezing chamber!

Would like Maz's but it gets toasted so I'd go with the above.

Reaction score
I was thinking how nice it'd be to have playsets. But from what I've heard there's no hope of them at all. The just don't sell. The best we can probably hope for are vehicles that sort of become playsets like the Millennium Falcon.

Reaction score
I'd be down for any type of TFA playset, but yeah, Hasbro seems stubbornly against them for 3.75"...I'm sure that if asked again at Toy Fair or wherever, they'll just steer people towards the Falcon, or towards the Micro Machine sets.

If they don't want to sink a lot of cash into developing and tooling playsets, fine, but there's really no excuse not to give simple cardboard sets a shot again. They wouldn't even need to be as complex as the POTF2 Cantina and Jabba's Palace were; they ought to take a cue from this:

...throw one desirable, exclusive-to-the-set figure in, and sell it for $10-15 bucks. It may not be as nice as a Death Star or Ewok Village, but it's better than nothing!

Kind of adjacent to the playsets issue, it's mildly frustrating that they're putting this Kylo Ren Carrying Case out for Micro Machines while they haven't given 3.75" carrying cases a try since 2005 (and even that was just the Vader head brought out from the archives):

Reaction score
Ugh! Don't get me started on carrying cases! I've been carting my figures around in a vintage C3PO case! I'd strangle a hasbro executive for a Kylo Ren case

Reaction score
Ugh! Don't get me started on carrying cases! I've been carting my figures around in a vintage C3PO case! I'd strangle a hasbro executive for a Kylo Ren case
Yeah, and what's crazy is that carrying cases like that can also operate as insidious stealth marketing for them. Give a Star Wars-loving kid a few figures and a carrying case, and odds are, they'll feel compelled to fill it up.

And while we're talking about fun and simple things Hasbro/Kenner has done in the past and doesn't do anymore, pour one out for the pack-in catalogs! :'(

Reaction score
I love cases. If Hasbro puts out a 3 3/4" carrying case, I'll open every figure I have and denounce MOC forever.

Reaction score
The best playsets are the POTF2 Detention Block and the Endor Attack bunker. They both work as little diorama pieces as well as offering up play value for the kiddies.

Reaction score
In terms of offering something that's got great play features as well as being a visually strong display setting, the pickings do seem to be a little bit slim. But the things that do come to mind?

-Maz's Castle / Takodana Battle - This would include the tavern area, the vault, and maybe some collapsing pieces that would make a setting for the battle between Han, Finn & Chewbacca with the FO Stormtroopers

-Starkiller Base - A catch-all setting with interior and exterior elements that would include:
-Command center
-Detention cell
-Chasm
-Catwalk
-Snowy exterior / lightsaber duel setting

Reaction score
I have the POTF2 Detention block and I love it.

I'd love to see an updated version for TFA. Make it the room with the interrogation chair. Pack in a Stormtrooper. Throw on some stupid action feature we can ignore. Charge $20 and it'd sell.

Unfortunately they wont do that.

I do think our best bet is a cardboard playset like shown above.

I'd love to see Han's ship in either plastic or cardboard form. Plastic would be cool because you could incorporate an obvious play feature with an opening door and a rathtar to grab some figures and then a pressure door on the other side. If they sold something like that I could see people buying several sets and linking them together. Pack in a Guavian Enforcer.

A cardboard Maz's castle would be great. Like an update of the pop up Cantina set. Not sure who would be the figure pack-in.

Star Destroyer bridge with yet another Kylo Ren packed in would be great. Everyone needs 20 Kylo's. I got my number of Vader's down to 5, it's only right that I'm now overloaded with Kylo.

Are any of these going to happen? Nope, but I do think Hasbro would be wise to look at the small playsets like those POTF2 sets. They didn't cost much to make and all you have to do is throw in a semi-exclusive figure in the set and it'll sell. They love throwing exclusive figures in with their vehicles. Seems like an obvious way to push the playsets.

Reaction score
The best playsets are the POTF2 Detention Block and the Endor Attack bunker. They both work as little diorama pieces as well as offering up play value for the kiddies.
If they brought that style back, instead of cramming a playset into a vehicle. I'd be fine with it. Of course I didn't see anything in TFA that could use that format.

Reaction score
Has Hasbro ever given a specific reason why they're so vehemently against playsets?
Other than the general issue of "production costs."

Reaction score
I thought it was the perception that they don't sell. I do agree larger playsets are a big risk. I think they got a little burned on the Episode 1 playsets and decided to not touch them anymore.

Seemed like the POTF2 playsets sold just fine though. I still want to track down the Endor bunker and Hoth Playset.

Reaction score
I agree, and don't forget the Carbon Freezing chamber. Unfortunately we won't see anything like that as long ans Hasbro has the license.

Reaction score
Has Hasbro ever given a specific reason why they're so vehemently against playsets?
Other than the general issue of "production costs."
I think one of the more popular reasons Hasbro has given us is that it forces kids into a specific play pattern, hmm, a Starkiller Base playset which the villains launch strikes from and the heroes have to attack and destroy..nope doesn't sound like any Star Wars scenario I've ever played out as a kid.

Reaction score
I thought it was the perception that they don't sell. I do agree larger playsets are a big risk. I think they got a little burned on the Episode 1 playsets and decided to not touch them anymore.
I agree, Volcanic mountains probably aren't best indicator for popularity. So essentially they use pigeonhole'd data as an excuse across the board. :rolleyes:

You know, for some reason I'm still waiting on that darn Forward Command Base from EP2. But I do understand that kids just aren't into the same play patters they once were.

Reaction score
Although it was impressive, I'll concede that something like the Geonosis Arena is probably overkill at this stage of the game, but something like the Endor bunker and Dention Block would be the sweet spot, IMO. All Hasbro really has to do to assure it sells is keep it small and include an exclusive figure. It works with all the vehicles they put out that no one truly wants!

Reaction score
I just want to see them make some boarding ladders for the starfighters, especially the TIE. How is the pilot supposed to get in and out of that thing when its parked on the ground?

Reaction score
Great set. I picked it up on Craig's list with a bunch of figures for $40 total. After I sold off what I didn't want I think I ended up spending $20 on it. One thing I don't have is the vaporator though.

Reaction score
Lars homestead back in 2008

I wouldn't call that a playset, you couldn't even fir one figure in there! :rolleyes:
Talk about a missed opportunity!

Though I'll admit that I was torn on getting it, but the TRU price at the time was offensive for what it was.

How is the pilot supposed to get in and out of that thing when its parked on the ground?
Haven't you seen hoe TIEs are docked? That is why you'll never see a ladder. lol

However, it doesn't explain why you don't see one with every X-Wing. :\

Reaction score
Haven't you seen hoe TIEs are docked? That is why you'll never see a ladder. lol

However, it doesn't explain why you don't see one with every X-Wing. :\
I was talking about the First Order TIEs, they seem to park on the ground more often rather than hanging from racks.

Reaction score
I'd be all for a Jakku playset (they could even use the old Kenner Land of the Jawas set with a new cardboard backdrop) and maybe add a plastic detachable archway and include the booth for Unkar Plutt.

Reaction score
There are little to no playset options for TFA really. I can't see a playset based on a snowy forest, a desert, or a fairly nonescript ship. If they can't create a playset for the Death Star which is VERY prominent in the original, they aren't creating one for Starkiller base.

Hasbro will say 'play patterns' blah blah blah, but the reality is they don't want to. The playsets they've come up with most recently didn't make any sense. Mustafar had giant meatballs and no where to actually play on that set. Geonosis was a backdrop. The Lars Homestead was awesome as an iconic piece to display with your figures, but was not a playset. The sets they came out with for Episode I looked nothing like the actual sets AND had play features that weren't any fun.

If you look at the Ninja Turtle playsets, you see a playset that has a ton of stuff to mess with and it looks like the cartoon. Star Wars simply needs to create something fun that also appeals to the collector.

Reaction score
another playset that Hasbro could re-issue is the Vintage Kenner Imperial Attack Base and rename it Starkiller base. it's works well as a functioning base for the FO troopers. With a major snowstorm on the way to NJ from Saturday into Sunday I'm getting ready to play with all my FO Troops, the base, snowspeeder and TFA Falcon in the snow. can't wait.