PLAYMATES: Star Trek

Reaction score
I remember in high school I used to collect these. I would rank this the second most diverse line under Star Wrs since they made figures from the movies and the shows and had some real obscure characters. I really liked the STNG NCC-1701 D playset as well and the Transporter. These toys had great gimmicks. The only down side is the figures used too glossy a plastic, and I didn't care for the multi-colored accessories. For it's time though it was a great line.

Reaction score
Re: Playmates Star Trek line

I bought them up but couldn't keep up with the pace they were coming out since I'm primarily a SW collector....now they are sitting in about 8 tubs in my basement. The fluorescent-like weapons and accessories were a bit too much.

Reaction score

Me too. I've got the original (12?) for trade if anyones collecting them here
smile.gif

Reaction score

dxdave said:
I bought them up but couldn't keep up with the pace they were coming out since I'm primarily a SW collector....now they are sitting in about 8 tubs in my basement. The fluorescent-like weapons and accessories were a bit too much.

The same thing happened to me. There were just too many. On a side note, through the help of a friend I was actually able to score the Picard that was limited to 1701 at a local K-Mart. At the time I couldn't believe it. I've totally lost interest in them over time and they look out dated with that shiny plstic.

Reaction score

Hey MK, I may be interested in some of those If you want to sell them fairly cheap.

Reaction score

I collected these too. The only carded figures I'm missing are the Picard Tapestry 1701 and the Dathon and Vorgon Pog Varients.

Reaction score

I bought a few of these, I have most of the original TNG cast in their uniforms, some Borg, random aliens, and the original cast as in their appearence from TNG. In all I've got about 20 figures. I liked to play with them and display them when they came out. I actually just recently rediscovered them in my parents basement, and they are now on display next to my DickTracy movie figures.

Reaction score

Agree with the crazy colour accessories and glossy plastic remarks, but generally this was a great line that really lost its way after the first few years. The figures were very well done. I have about 20 of them - the TNG crew and assorted fave guest star/aliens mostly.

Reaction score

The starships for me were my favorites, particularly UFP ships. My only wish was for them to release 1701-A. I thought that was a given in lieu of all the other cool ships they released; Defiant, 1701-B, All Good Things Enterprise.

Reaction score
I bought a HUGE box of these from BBTS. I just went through and found a load of 'em really cheap. I got a mix from TNG/DS9. Most of them look pretty crappy, but they're nice to have, 'cause I've always loved the shows.

Reaction score
I collected these big time, even after the PotF2 figures started. They were good figures for the time, and the wide variaty of characters were great. My favorite figures were probably TNG characters in their Holodeck costumes, Picard as Dixon Hill, Wild West Sheriff Worf, Data as Sherlock Holmes, etc. I loved Q in his judges robes figure. The main problem I had with the figures was, I never liked the hip articulation.

Reaction score
saddestmoon said:
Hey people!

smile.gif
Recently picked up a Playmates Voyager - very kewl ship!!!!

I'm lovin it!!!

I got one of those way back when. The wings moved up and down like in the show. It was pretty cool.

Reaction score

Bck when the Tapestry Picard came out i was only collecting the 9" figures and i was in Walmart one day and picked up a Tapestry Picard. I thought to myself that it looked pretty cool and i put it in the cart then decided i was into the small figures and put it back. Dumb move on my part! I got into the small figures the following year and found out i just passed up a VERY hard to find figure. I was floored. I kick myself to this day for not buying that figure when i had it in my cart!
frown.gif

Reaction score

I have some 9" Playmates Star Trek figures I am willing to sell for $5 a piece plus shipping. The ones I have are:

Tuvok
Gul Dukat
Jem Hadarr
Anij (Insurrection)
Ruafo (Insurrection)
Generations Picard
Generations Data
Generations Geordi
Spock in Spacesuit

Reaction score

PM sent on the Trek dolls.

I have a huge Trek collection, been a Trek fan for many years. Actually, last week I was in Las Vegas (for the first time; it was a business trip) and made some time for the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton. I was like a little kid at Christmas! To me it was awesome, because I have never seen a place totally devoted to Star Trek.
They had a ton of the newer Art Asylum USS Enterprise, classic and E versions, and plenty of the new Kirk and Klingon Mego style carded figures. They were the only 2 currently available at $18 each. I wanted to buy the battle damage Enterprise-E version but was concerned it would have gotten damaged on the plane while in transit home.
smirk.gif

Reaction score
CaptainYoda said:
saddestmoon said:
Hey people!

smile.gif
Recently picked up a Playmates Voyager - very kewl ship!!!!

I'm lovin it!!!

I got one of those way back when. The wings moved up and down like in the show. It was pretty cool.

The ships were definately the highlight of the line. They were very detailed and had great effects.

Reaction score
I genuinely feel this is one of the more underrated, maybe even underappreciated, lines of the last 20 years or so. Maybe it was the ill will Playmates generated with the fans or the rapid decline of the franchise, or both, but when you really look at this line you can't help but come away thinking that it was pretty cool. Yeah, it's not up to today's standards for realism and accuracy but it was a very fun toy line in the same vain as many of the classic toy lines of the 80's.

You had a ton of action figures with many obscure characters, lots of character specific accesseries, fun playsets with lights and sounds, lots of good-for-their-time models of many prominent and obscure starships and alien vessels, and even a good sampling of vehicles for the characters (all shuttles, I think) made for a line with lots of playability.

It's a little frustrating looking back and wondering what might've been had they just stuck to one scale with the action figures but it may not have mattered. Maybe it's nostalgia but I prefer this line to the more realistic DST line of today, which, to me, suffers too much from lousy (or plain inconsistent) likenesses and so-so quality for something designed for collectors at a higher price point. DST definitely has the upper hand on ships though.
wink.gif

Reaction score
I had a ton of these figures back in the 90's. From TNG up to the first waves of Voyager. Not the best sculpting possible but good solid toys. The one issue I had with them was the crappy accessories. Ugly neon-colored accessories for the most part.

I sold 95% of the collection and what I have left fits into a single paper box.

Reaction score
Playmates Star Trek figures

Does anybody know where I can find a gallery or even just a wave listing of all the 4 inch Star Trek figures playmates put out?

Reaction score
Re: Playmates Star Trek figures

Sorry, I didn't mean the recent movie figures. I meant the older ones they did of the TV series stuff.

Reaction score
Re: Playmates Star Trek figures

I use these checklists - here
They are pretty comprehensive.

Reaction score
I collected this line pretty heavily in the 90s, but dropped it like a hot potato as soon as the POTF2 figures started hitting stores. Recently, however, I've been getting into buying some of the ones that came out after I stopped collecting. Especially since I've finally watched all of DS9 in its entirety last year when I had my Netflix subscription. I've pretty much decided that DS9 is the best Star Trek series ever made.

I picked up the Trials and Tribble-ations Chief O'Brien figure, last week, but I was kind of shocked how expensive that one is on the secondary market. Especially compared to the other Trials and Tribble-ations figures. Is there a reason O'Brien is so rare?

Reaction score
I picked up the Trials and Tribble-ations Chief O'Brien figure, last week, but I was kind of shocked how expensive that one is on the secondary market. Especially compared to the other Trials and Tribble-ations figures. Is there a reason O'Brien is so rare?

They produced him in very limited numbers for whatever reason. Never made sense to me, but he's not the only one: Seven in her purple suit is pretty rare as well - the same figure in silver is, however, easier to find. There is a Data in a red TNG Uniform who's also going for hefty money on the secondary marked.

I loved the Star Trek figures as a kid and I still think that they are among the most fun toys ever. They look cartoony in their proportions and facesculpts, and yet, they just capture the characters so well! They were also pretty sturdy. And they had the coolest playset; the TNG Bridge. Never got a hold of it myself, tho, so, a couple of years ago, I went ahead and build my own, Generations-variant:

custom_bridge_playset_by_damon1984_db21kcy-pre.jpg

And after that, my DS9 figs looked at me pleadingly and I build them an Ops too :D

dbgtadq-61869d0f-c868-4b4e-b06b-aa9aec7e81b4.jpg

Reaction score
Holy cow that's sweet OPS playset, I wish I had been able to make that!

I still have the Enterprise D bridge packed away as well as the crew in both Uniforms. I did build a couple mock bridges but had to throw them out when I downsized but they we noting like that above.

I almost was like when was that released and where do I go to get it?!

Reaction score
Yeah, those playsets are excellent and really well photographed too. It's tricky to get the lighting right for toys, since they are so small, but the lighting in those photos is just about perfect. If someone had told me that they were professionally built prototypes from Playmates, then I wouldn't have had any reason to doubt that.

I've been doing some searches on eBay and I'm kind of surprised by how many toys Playmates made from TOS after I quit collecting the line. Now I'm trying to track it all down. Is there a comprehensive checklist for the entire line somewhere? I clicked on a link posted earlier in this thread, but it seems to be a dead link. I'm mainly interested in all of the Playmates TOS figures.

Anyway, I recently picked up the "Alien Series" pack with Kirk, Balok, and Balok's Puppet and I really like it. This is one of those items that I never knew existed until I found it on eBay recently, but I knew I just had to have it the moment I saw it. One of my earliest childhood memories is being absolutely terrified by Balok's Puppet when I watched this episode on TV. Balok himself was pretty creepy too.

Reaction score
Because I'm a very big fan of Andorians I had to have that figure, and it was one that took the longest to get. As the line went on I got more and more selective, and to my detriment I have OCD issues that require the whole crew to have the same uniform thus I tried getting them all with the First Contact/Late DS9 uniform.

I honestly can't imagine what the line would be like if they had continued with 3.75" scale, I know I'd be on cloud nine with all the customs I could have done with Star Wars figures! Though I know the switch was likely due to internal and feasible reasons, I almost wish that it hadn't gone to 5".

Reaction score
I bought a few of these in 93/94 when I first graduated from college, thinking they would be the next Star Wars line that would be valuable years later. Then I sold the 15-20 I had of those years later. They never measured up to the coolness of Kenner Star Wars. That was the only thing, and Toy Biz Marvels that I saw at the toy stores during that time.

However, early this year I really got into these figures and bought a ton. Many are very cheap to get. I really like the style and sculpting now. Part of me wishes Hasbro would do Star Wars in this style and size, but we have enough Star Wars scale style trials that have crashed and burned.

These Playmates Star Trek figures are fantastic.

Reaction score
I bought a few of these in 93/94 when I first graduated from college, thinking they would be the next Star Wars line that would be valuable years later. Then I sold the 15-20 I had of those years later. They never measured up to the coolness of Kenner Star Wars. That was the only thing, and Toy Biz Marvels that I saw at the toy stores during that time.

However, early this year I really got into these figures and bought a ton. Many are very cheap to get. I really like the style and sculpting now. Part of me wishes Hasbro would do Star Wars in this style and size, but we have enough Star Wars scale style trials that have crashed and burned.

These Playmates Star Trek figures are fantastic.

It's a seriously underappreciated line. I kinda feel like it got overshadowed a bit by the return of Star Wars in 1995. I know I pretty much abandoned it entirely once the POTF2 stores started hitting the store shelves. Which, in a way, is cool. Because now it's like I have all of these new toys to collect that I never knew existed before. When I get them now, I have to keep reminding myself that they are over 20 years old.

Reaction score
After having purchased several more of these figures, I can remember one of my pet peeves about this line: the V-crotch articulation. It's terrible for getting the figure to sit down in a way that looks at all natural. Obviously these figures were designed for collectors and they knew that most of those collectors wouldn't be taking them out of the package. Which is probably why they are so common today.

Also, I quit collecting the line in 1995, so I never knew that they eventually went to pre-posed, 5POA figures. Did that happen near the end of the line? I definitely feel that Playmates was being heavily influenced by the demand for the POTF2 Star Wars figures at the time.

Reaction score
After having purchased several more of these figures, I can remember one of my pet peeves about this line: the V-crotch articulation. It's terrible for getting the figure to sit down in a way that looks at all natural. Obviously these figures were designed for collectors and they knew that most of those collectors wouldn't be taking them out of the package. Which is probably why they are so common today.

Also, I quit collecting the line in 1995, so I never knew that they eventually went to pre-posed, 5POA figures. Did that happen near the end of the line? I definitely feel that Playmates was being heavily influenced by the demand for the POTF2 Star Wars figures at the time.

Yeah, that happened at the end of the line. It might have been the only way for them to crunch out some of the lesser known characters like Keiko O'Brien. The v-crotch became managable, the moment they introduced the thigh swivel with the Voyager-figures. Wish they had introduced it sooner.

Reaction score
Yeah, that happened at the end of the line. It might have been the only way for them to crunch out some of the lesser known characters like Keiko O'Brien. The v-crotch became managable, the moment they introduced the thigh swivel with the Voyager-figures. Wish they had introduced it sooner.

I saw Edith Keeler and Kirk from City on the Edge of Forever. I would have gladly sacrificed articulation to get more figures like that.

Still my favorite figure in the entire line so far is Chief O'Brien from Trials and Tribble-ations. I found another one on eBay but this one was the variation that had the fuzzy tribbles inside.

I also picked up the USS Defiant starship toy. I loved that ship when it first premiered on DS9 and it's still one of my all-time favorite starship designs.

Reaction score
I had them all, vehicles and figures, but sold them all to fund my Hot Toys 1:6 scale addiction. I particularly liked the engineering set with core and the transporter.

Reaction score
Okay, I got my second Trials and Tribble-ations Chief O-Brien and two of the fuzzy tribbles inside are purple. According to the contest information on the back, that means I've won the Grand Prize of a trip to Paramount Studios and an authentic Starfleet uniform. I know this contest expired 23 years ago and all, but I'd really like to at least get my "authentic" Starfleet uniform. :)

Reaction score
Okay, I got my second Trials and Tribble-ations Chief O-Brien and two of the fuzzy tribbles inside are purple. According to the contest information on the back, that means I've won the Grand Prize of a trip to Paramount Studios and an authentic Starfleet uniform. I know this contest expired 23 years ago and all, but I'd really like to at least get my "authentic" Starfleet uniform. :)

Congrats. Best of luck redeeming your wins.

Reaction score
I got ahold of the Captain Koloth figure from the Original Series. I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I actually prefer the look of TOS Klingons over all other versions. They seem to get increasingly monstrous every time they are reimagined. So, I find this minimalist design to be really refreshing.